Countdown: The 20 most influential volunteers in the PC era

AnakinSolo
Retired Advocate

Countdown: The 20 most influential volunteers in the PC era

Post by AnakinSolo »

I was in a boring meeting and decided I wanted to work on a list that would pay tribute to the players who are influential in the continuation of Star Wars ccg after decipher lost the license, and especially in keeping the game alive over the last ten years. This is not a list of deck designers, or "best" players, but rather those who have made enormous contributions to keeping the game alive.

I was pleasantly surprised by how hard it was to come up with a list. My initial brainstorming rapidly reached 50 fine individuals. I hope that people enjoy reading about these contributions, and that those on this list do not take enormous offense at their placement. Many have contributed to the game in a wide variety of ways, and comparing these contributions is almost impossible. I also tend to be biased against players whose biggest contributions came earlier on. I was't involved in the PC at all before 2007, and the PC's internal archives from that period are a huge mess, and much of it has been lost. For example, the proofing team had a phenomenal blog during the re-edit, that not only exposed their work, but also who was making which contributions. This blog is long since gone, as are many records of the redux. The PCs records are much much better starting in 2007, which has made contributions since then much easier to assess and credit.

This list will include influential volunteers, including both those whose efforts went to the benefit of the entire community and those whose efforts typically had a smaller impact. With a smaller impact, I generally preferred work that had long duration.

I hope that people enjoy the countdown, and that it helps to appreciate the hard work of these many individuals.
Last edited by AnakinSolo on November 9th, 2014, 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Well, Bye.

Platypus
GEMP Username: platy

Re: Countdown: The twenty most influential volunteers in the

Post by Platypus »

sounds cool.
Spoiler
Show
I'm taking advocate on my fantasy countdown team. 8>
BSG 13-6 AGOT 2-0 AH 1-0 I also played SWCCG :)

JediJer
Administrator

Post by JediJer »

Cam Solusar

Post by Cam Solusar »

I'll be sure to bust this wide open at the end when I reveal that 6 out of the top 10 have accepted card art from me as payment for their "volunteer" services.
Camden Y, Southern California
BrenDerlin wrote:These movies aren't called Star Battles, yo.

AnakinSolo
Retired Advocate

Post by AnakinSolo »

before the real list begins comes the prelude.

Honorable Mention: Paul McPherson
Paul has been rather important as an organizer of the online community, and as a cornerstone of the UK community. I believe he has also been an occasional PC volunteer with other projects.

Honorable Mention: Steve Jones (noscreenname)
He hasn't been around for a couple years, but Steve Jones was for half a decade a reliable tournament organizer, and a valued voice on the tournament committee. He did much to keep the crazy New York scene organized, and was also a cool fellow.

Honorable Mention: Caleb Foth (agnos)
Caleb has never been a mainstream contributor to the game. He has not been fortunate enough to play in one of the areas where locals are regular (although its somewhat arguable, as Atlanta is only a few hours away). He has however contributed rather extensively as a commentator for the game, especially in 2012-2014. He wrote valuable articles on a multitude of subjects, especially how to play specific decks, and what he viewed as the competitive landscape. He provided an incredible amount of commentary at the 2012 North American Championships, as well as serving as the best commentator at the 2014 MPC livestream. While nominally retired, we can hope that more of these great efforts will continue, as he regularly articulates views with a professional voice.
Last edited by AnakinSolo on November 3rd, 2014, 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Well, Bye.

imrahil327
Tournament Advocate

Post by imrahil327 »

MAVanDriel wrote: Honorable Mention: Steve Jones
He hasn't been around for a couple years, but Steve Jones was for half a decade a reliable tournament organizer, and a valued voice on the tournament committee. He did much to keep the crazy New York scene organized, and was also a cool fellow.
Great to see him on the list! Agreed that he did a lot for upstate NY...hope he comes back some day :)

Honorable Mention: Caleb Foth
Caleb has never been a mainstream contributor to the game. He has not been fortunate enough to play in one of the areas where locals are regular (although its somewhat arguable, as Atlanta is only a few hours away). He has however contributed rather extensively as a commentator for the game, especially in 2012-2014. He wrote valuable articles on a multitude of subjects, especially how to play specific decks, and what he viewed as the competitive landscape. He provided an incredible amount of commentary at the 2012 North American Championships, as well as serving as the best commentator at the 2014 MPC livestream. While nominally retired, we can hope that more of these great efforts will continue, as he regularly articulates views with a professional voice.
He also playtested over 500 games for the PC!
Hunter wrote:Sebulba's W-L record is like...Always and 1. Tebow's is nowhere near that percentage.
allstarz97, about M:TG wrote:I feel like Michael Jordan playing baseball.

noscreenname
DS Region: Coruscant
DS Region: Coruscant

Post by noscreenname »

imrahil327 wrote:
MAVanDriel wrote: Honorable Mention: Steve Jones
Great to see him on the list! Agreed that he did a lot for upstate NY...hope he comes back some day :)

I'd like to think I'm still a cool fellow. And while our scene is not really active any more, I do peek in here once in a while to catch up. I have the new pdfs and some lists I intend to build, since there are still a couple local players who would play once we have updated decks together.
REDGLARE!

Shadow 47

Darren Pilbeam

Post by Darren Pilbeam »

MAVanDriel wrote:before the real list begins comes the prelude.

Paul has been rather important as an organizer of the online community, and as a cornerstone of the UK community. I believe he has also been an occasional PC volunteer with other projects.
I think you might be getting Paul mixed up with me there, although it's an easy mistake to make as we look so similar - both a little overweight, and with a tendency to wear SW-related T-shirts.
Three time UK Champion - 2009, 2010, and 2013

Online League Chairman (emeritus) / UK Flight Leader

Recipient of the Lifetime Acheivement Award (sic) for service to the SWCCG Online Community

kryptofis
Holotable username: kryptofis
GEMP Username: kryptofis

Post by kryptofis »

Nop, D. You'll be on the list much higher than honorable mention.
Kryptofis

imrahil327
Tournament Advocate

Post by imrahil327 »

kryptofis wrote:Nop, D. You'll be on the list much higher than honorable mention.
I agree.
Hunter wrote:Sebulba's W-L record is like...Always and 1. Tebow's is nowhere near that percentage.

JediJer
Administrator

Post by JediJer »

MAVanDriel wrote:before the real list begins comes the prelude.

Honorable Mention: Steve Jones

Honorable Mention: Caleb Foth
Suggestion: add in forum screen names for those that may not be familiar with these players.
Steve Jones (noscreenname)
Caleb Foth (agnos)

gogolen
LS Region: Coruscant
LS Region: Coruscant
Holotable username: gogolen
GEMP Username: gogolen

Post by gogolen »

This sounds interesting, curious to see the list. I have my own immediate thoughts about the Top 3 and look forward to seeing how much we agree or disagree.

PC Store Manager
Kevbozzz wrote:I agree 100% with Gogolen's responses.
Now streaming games on Youtube & Twitch- please subscribe to my channels- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjqwgj ... Xu5T9vp4AQ
Twitch- https://www.twitch.tv/gogolen

NEW & RETURNING PLAYER ARTICLES- https://forum.starwarsccg.org/viewt ... 32&t=50486

AnakinSolo
Retired Advocate

Post by AnakinSolo »

gogolen wrote:This sounds interesting, curious to see the list. I have my own immediate thoughts about the Top 3 and look forward to seeing how much we agree or disagree.
The top 5 took a LOT of work. I wrote out draft posts for 5-2 before I was able to distinguish them.
Well, Bye.

Hobbie
DS Region: Endor

Post by Hobbie »

This countdown started on Friday and we haven't even seen #20 yet...
--Nate Davis

Recommended traders: Phil78, Hunter, sac89837, Avatari, biffpow, Atma, rYyIrisH, categoryonegames.com, DarkQug, yannedern, Tom Bombadil, Bryan-Irish
Aglets wrote:Hobbie's got it.
Kevbozzz wrote:What the hell is the "home page"? I don't see any sub-forum by that name.

JediJer
Administrator

Post by JediJer »

Hobbie wrote:This countdown started on Friday and we haven't even seen #20 yet...
And your point is?

Kevbozzz
World Champion
World Champion

Post by Kevbozzz »

gogolen wrote:This sounds interesting, curious to see the list. I have my own immediate thoughts about the Top 3 and look forward to seeing how much we agree or disagree.
Many of these volunteers are also available through the Players Committee Store.
Check out ShanCast, my SWCCG podcast! Past episodes can be found at www.spreaker.com/user/shancast, or via the Spreaker app (search for #SWCCG).

ImageImageImage
3MW0J8 wrote:If DBO comes back again I swear I will quit for good.
DDM wrote:All hail Kevin Shannon!! :rimshot
3MW0J8 wrote:holy balls KSBOOTMFY
Schele wrote:I guess you're not as bad as I thought you were.

AnakinSolo
Retired Advocate

Post by AnakinSolo »

#20 Mark Walseth "walsetmd"
Walseth is known primarily for his efforts to bring swccg to a new generation. Or rather, as the most effective person at bringing swccg to a new generation. He is a teacher, and through his school has for years offered a program to introduce students to swccg. This program has been a smashing success, and it has had many great trickle down impacts on the community at large. His students asking questions in the deck discussion forum have spawned some of the best new player friendly tutorials (as well as a regrettable amount of trolling), which provide constant supply of good materials. He, and his students have proven themselves effective deckbuilding innovators, providing additional lifeblood to the community. The net impact - Locals in the twin cities attract audiences greater than 20, normally something only true of nationally or internationally important marquee events. He is not alone in building this success, but his example has done much to keep the game growing.

To Mr. Walseth!
Last edited by AnakinSolo on November 5th, 2014, 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Well, Bye.

Hobbie

Post by Hobbie »

I'm surprised he's this low.
--Nate Davis

Recommended traders: Phil78, Hunter, sac89837, Avatari, biffpow, Atma, rYyIrisH, categoryonegames.com, DarkQug, yannedern, Tom Bombadil, Bryan-Irish
Aglets wrote:Hobbie's got it.
Kevbozzz wrote:What the hell is the "home page"? I don't see any sub-forum by that name.

imrahil327
Tournament Advocate

Post by imrahil327 »

Hobbie wrote:I'm surprised he's this low.

JediJer
Administrator

Post by JediJer »

Maybe the list is the top 10 and then 10 people tied for 11th. It seems like a very difficult thing to judge and rank people and I think a lot of these first entries will be interchangeable in their placement on the list.

Return to “Notable Topics”