Countdown: The 20 most influential volunteers in the PC era

darkjediknight11
Communications Advocate
GEMP Username: djk11

Re: Countdown: The 20 most influential volunteers in the PC

Post by darkjediknight11 »

mikefrench wrote:i may be naive, but i have a hard time understanding how the AR is controversial.
x2. the AR is an amazing reference document.

-Keith Brown

JarJarDrinks

Post by JarJarDrinks »

mikefrench wrote:i may be naive, but i have a hard time understanding how the AR is controversial.
x2. Maybe I'm off also but I'd wager that the majority of players agree that the AR is one of the best things to happen to the game.
dx_37 wrote:
October 2nd, 2019, 12:12 pm
I would be all for a reset if I get to be on the reset team
"Faith means making a virtue out of not thinking."
- Bill Maher

"How you play the game is important. But for me, it's about if you win or lose."
- Derek Jeter

AnakinSolo
Retired Advocate

Post by AnakinSolo »

mikefrench wrote:i loved that deck too but that card isn't sonn's lone fault. i mean, we can play that game, but then scott lingrell has ruined star wars cards about 23 times, and we all know that just isn't true. designers make mistakes. if they never ever make mistakes, then they're probably making REALLY boring cards.

i may be naive, but i have a hard time understanding how the AR is controversial.
I actually think I laid out the case against it pretty well (while I still praise it)

A) It is hard to update
B) It changed rules

All of these were minor burdens, especially to high level players from the pre-AR era. Still, it is awesome.
Well, Bye.

RybackStun
GEMP Username: RybackStun

Post by RybackStun »

darkjediknight11 wrote:
For sure, the problem comes in the fact that it's labeled a "rulebook". While technically true, the damn thing is a college textbook of complexity and in no way is able to properly introduce a player to the game.

Advanced Player's Guide would be a much better way to describe it accurately while still having it be the proper tool it needs to be.

A Rulebook should go over most of the basics of the game and allow players to get started immediately instead of after the semester.

darkjediknight11
Communications Advocate

RybackStun wrote:
darkjediknight11 wrote:
For sure, the problem comes in the fact that it's labeled a "rulebook". While technically true, the damn thing is a college textbook of complexity and in no way is able to properly introduce a player to the game.

Advanced Player's Guide would be a much better way to describe it accurately while still having it be the proper tool it needs to be.

A Rulebook should go over most of the basics of the game and allow players to get started immediately instead of after the semester.
nah i disagree. it's not a "learn-to-play guide", it's a reference document for the rules of the game. it's organized, detailed, and comprehensive (as much as reasonably possible). it is the definitive source to go when you have a question on the rules, and it does a pretty good job at that. it may require a ctrl+f search to find what you need sometimes, but that's ok.
-Keith Brown

clepine
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold

Post by clepine »

Skim is a hell of a guy, and I'm glad to see him so high in the list.

JediJer
Administrator

Post by JediJer »

darkjediknight11 wrote:
RybackStun wrote:
darkjediknight11 wrote:

nah i disagree. it's not a "learn-to-play guide", it's a reference document for the rules of the game. it's organized, detailed, and comprehensive (as much as reasonably possible). it is the definitive source to go when you have a question on the rules, and it does a pretty good job at that. it may require a ctrl+f search to find what you need sometimes, but that's ok.
Yeah, there's a reason it's called the Advanced Rulebook.

From the Introduction in the AR:
Players are advised to familiarize themselves with the first chapter, as the book is written based on a familiarity with those core concepts.

The Advanced Rulebook assumes a certain familiarity with the game. Also, a degree of common sense is required in understanding this book. If a word is not being used as a defined game term, it's being used in the normal English meaning of the term. If you do not understand the precise intent of a rule, read the related examples. In short, this is not "SW:CCG For Beginners," nor is it "SW:CCG For Dummies."

JediJer
Administrator

Post by JediJer »

Stephen is good people. I don't think I could have managed all that the website needed done to it on my own. We've worked on a lot of things together and this community owes him a huge thank you.

The Franchise
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold

Post by The Franchise »

i am just waiting for hunter to post the anti sonn argument for me

imrahil327
Tournament Advocate

Post by imrahil327 »

The Franchise wrote:i am just waiting for hunter to post the anti sonn argument for me
Work smart, not hard. :thumbs:
Hunter wrote:Sebulba's W-L record is like...Always and 1. Tebow's is nowhere near that percentage.
allstarz97, about M:TG wrote:I feel like Michael Jordan playing baseball.

The Franchise
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold

Post by The Franchise »

imrahil327 wrote:
The Franchise wrote:i am just waiting for hunter to post the anti sonn argument for me
Work smart, not hard. :thumbs:
Haha yep

gogolen
LS Region: Coruscant
LS Region: Coruscant
Holotable username: gogolen
GEMP Username: gogolen

Post by gogolen »

MAVanDriel wrote:#4 Stephen Kim "Raith"
Stephen is the current marketing advocate. He would easily have made this list if he had never applied for the current job however, so great were his previous contributions. He was one of the people who came on board the PC during 2009, volunteering as an administrator for technology. His help was desperately needed. When he started the PC was running a version of phpbb (the forums) that was incredibly out of date and barely supportable, much less useful. The website front end had recently gone from horribly out of date and non-upgradeable, to up-to-date but barely updateable. The website was regularly slow, sometimes crashed, and was not compatible with mobile devices. Stephen fixed (or co-fixed) all of these problems. He helped get the PC moved to a better, more appropriate webhost (which I believe he has done multiple times). He has rebuilt the front end many times. He has upgraded the forum software, sometimes having to code individual fixes for various problems. Eventually he built much of the front end of the website and moved it to wordpress.

Then Stephen became marketing advocate. In this role, he has used his technological prowess to continue support for online play, and most especially to support using technology to stream events and improve the digital footprint of our major event series. He completed the incredibly long project that allowed the PC to use star wars persona names for cards - and has been a relentless force for "cool" and "star wars-y" designs.

He is definitely a good fellow, and absolutely invaluable as a contributor to the PC. Much of the awesome factor currently in the game is due to his influence.

To Mr. Kim!

Well done sir

PC Store Manager
Kevbozzz wrote:I agree 100% with Gogolen's responses.
Now streaming games on Youtube & Twitch- please subscribe to my channels- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjqwgj ... Xu5T9vp4AQ
Twitch- https://www.twitch.tv/gogolen

NEW & RETURNING PLAYER ARTICLES- https://forum.starwarsccg.org/viewt ... 32&t=50486

mikefrench
Top Cards
Top Cards

Post by mikefrench »

This I do respect.
The Honky Tonk Man wrote:If you want to post trash takes, at least go the Mike French route and come off as being somewhat reasonable.

DarkBro
DS Region: Kiffex
DS Region: Kiffex

Post by DarkBro »

MAVanDriel wrote:#4 Stephen Kim "Raith"
Stephen is the current marketing advocate. He would easily have made this list if he had never applied for the current job however, so great were his previous contributions. He was one of the people who came on board the PC during 2009, volunteering as an administrator for technology. His help was desperately needed. When he started the PC was running a version of phpbb (the forums) that was incredibly out of date and barely supportable, much less useful. The website front end had recently gone from horribly out of date and non-upgradeable, to up-to-date but barely updateable. The website was regularly slow, sometimes crashed, and was not compatible with mobile devices. Stephen fixed (or co-fixed) all of these problems. He helped get the PC moved to a better, more appropriate webhost (which I believe he has done multiple times). He has rebuilt the front end many times. He has upgraded the forum software, sometimes having to code individual fixes for various problems. Eventually he built much of the front end of the website and moved it to wordpress.

Then Stephen became marketing advocate. In this role, he has used his technological prowess to continue support for online play, and most especially to support using technology to stream events and improve the digital footprint of our major event series. He completed the incredibly long project that allowed the PC to use star wars persona names for cards - and has been a relentless force for "cool" and "star wars-y" designs.

He is definitely a good fellow, and absolutely invaluable as a contributor to the PC. Much of the awesome factor currently in the game is due to his influence.

To Mr. Kim!
Thanks for giving Stephen the recognition he deserves Mark! He single-handedly got the Toronto meta going, and ever since then he's been been a huge asset to the PC! I always marvel at how much important stuff he's done behind the scenes for SWCCG. He's also become a great friend. And of course, without him this year's Worlds would have a) never happened in Toronto if he didn't spearhead the campaign for us to host, and b) been a trainwreck if he didn't step in and run the whole event perfectly with barely any notice.

Thanks for everything Stephen!
Image Image
Member of TBO and Team Image

RybackStun
GEMP Username: RybackStun

Post by RybackStun »

darkjediknight11 wrote:
RybackStun wrote:
darkjediknight11 wrote:

JediJer wrote: Yeah, there's a reason it's called the Advanced Rulebook.

From the Introduction in the AR:
Players are advised to familiarize themselves with the first chapter, as the book is written based on a familiarity with those core concepts.

The Advanced Rulebook assumes a certain familiarity with the game. Also, a degree of common sense is required in understanding this book. If a word is not being used as a defined game term, it's being used in the normal English meaning of the term. If you do not understand the precise intent of a rule, read the related examples. In short, this is not "SW:CCG For Beginners," nor is it "SW:CCG For Dummies."
Yes, however due to a general lack of said Beginner's SWCCG Rulebook, the AR (maybe just at the time I was trying to learn how to play) is the only source of rules material available. I had to go to a Third Party site to find the old school basic rules which helped way more than anything here at the time.

The site has gotten better with introducing players to the game, but it was atrocious at it even just a year ago.

AnakinSolo
Retired Advocate

Post by AnakinSolo »

#3 Matt Moseley "ltpage2"
Matt has made exactly one, super awesome contribution to the game. He created holotable. Holotable is the online program to play games that has been used for standard swccg for two thirds of the pc lifetime. Popular from the beginning, holotable has continued to add features over the years, making it better and better through time. These feats are all provided by Matt. Holotable is an exceptionally robust game system, and has allowed for the proliferation of online play - which has in turn helped bolster local play and create local swccg scenes.

For all his work in making, updating, and troubleshooting this awesome utility, we are all seriously grateful.

To Mr. Mosley
Last edited by AnakinSolo on December 4th, 2014, 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Well, Bye.

dorshe1
Holotable username: dorshe1
GEMP Username: dorshe1

Post by dorshe1 »

MAVanDriel wrote:#3 Matt Mosley "ltpage2"
Matt has made exactly one, super awesome contribution to the game. He created holotable. Holotable is the online program to play games that has been used for standard swccg for two thirds of the pc lifetime. Popular from the beginning, holotable has continued to add features over the years, making it better and better through time. These feats are all provided by Matt. Holotable is an exceptionally robust game system, and has allowed for the proliferation of online play - which has in turn helped bolster local play and create local swccg scenes.

For all his work in making, updating, and troubleshooting this awesome utility, we are all seriously grateful.

To Mr. Mosley
To Mr. Mosley!

http://www.holotable.com/features.php
Holotable is free to use. If you appreciate the ability to play online, you can donate through PayPal using mattmoseley@bellsouth.net. Don't feel like you have to, though.

Just putting it out there....

Thanks!

kryptofis
Holotable username: kryptofis
GEMP Username: kryptofis

Post by kryptofis »

Yep! To Matt!!!!!
Kryptofis

darkjediknight11
Communications Advocate

-Keith Brown

Aglets
Retired Advocate

Post by Aglets »

Holotable is the best thing to happen to swccg since............the virtual card.

Here's to Matt!
Rian Johnson wrote: I would be worried if everybody across the board was like "Yea, that was a good movie." It's much more exciting to me when you get a group of people who are coming up to you.....really really excited about it. And then there are other people who walk out literally saying that was the worst movie I've ever seen. Having those two extremes to me is the mark of the type of movie that I want to make.

Return to “Notable Topics”