New To The Game

SWCCG Rules Q&A only.
shiar
Starter
Starter

New To The Game

Post by shiar »

I'm a player from The Netherlands who bought a Premiere BB Set as a collection piece.
Of course then I started to buy other singles I liked and that devolved into buying theme decks from swccgstore.com.
Reviewing these decks I came across "Artoo-Detoo in Red 5" which has a Destiny of "0 or 7".
How do know if it's 0 or 7 when I reveal it when drawing destiny?

Thomas Krone / shiar
Haarlem, The Netherlands

Thomas Krone / shiar
Haarlem, The Netherlands

Death Star
DS Region: Ralltiir
DS Region: Ralltiir
GEMP Username: zlorfik

Re: New To The Game

Post by Death Star »

Hello Thomas,

welcome to the game! There is an active community in the Netherlands (at least once this Covid thing has blown over) if you didn't know already. You can find a list of contacts here if you are interested in meeting more people: viewtopic.php?f=348&t=56947
All awesome people and I know they are very friendly to new players in particular.

Regarding your question: Its your choice as the light side player. You can choose the value that suits you best in that moment. So if you want to Sense something, you can choose 0 and if you draw it for battle destiny, you can choose 7. And the next time you draw it, you can choose again (and pick a different value if you want to).

Back to "Not a rules team member, so shouldn't post in this forum" again.
"i know it won worlds,but it can't win anything in the local meta of michigan.we paly card for card what you ahve and still don't win"

My favorite decktech review on one of my decks.
ImageImage

DutchVader

Post by DutchVader »

shiar wrote:
February 17th, 2021, 4:48 am
I'm a player from The Netherlands who bought a Premiere BB Set as a collection piece.
Of course then I started to buy other singles I liked and that devolved into buying theme decks from swccgstore.com.
Reviewing these decks I came across "Artoo-Detoo in Red 5" which has a Destiny of "0 or 7".
How do know if it's 0 or 7 when I reveal it when drawing destiny?

Thomas Krone / shiar
Haarlem, The Netherlands
Hi Thomas,

Like Bastian said: welcome to the game! I also live in Haarlem, so we should definately meet some time when this Covid lockdown is over! We have an active player community in the Netherlands; in normal circumstances we meet regularly to play some games, but for now we are limited to SWCCG-talk in our dedicated Dutch SWCCG Whatsapp group, or play some online SWCCG games on Gemp. New players are always welcome! Play some games, looking for cards, we are happy to help.
If you are interested, just send me a PM via this forum.

Stefan / DutchVader
Haarlem, The Netherlands :-D

PS: Back to Rules Question territory :-D

shiar
Starter
Starter

Post by shiar »

Thanks Death Star and Dutch Vader :)
That was a remarkably easy and unintuitive answer, hahaha.

Also, thank you for pointing me towards the Dutch SWCCG community.
For now I will explore the theme decks with my other-new-player-friend in a leisurely 90s fashion.
If at some point we want to branch out, I'll know where to look.
Do expect more questions!

Thomas Krone / shiar
Haarlem, The Netherlands
Thomas Krone / shiar
Haarlem, The Netherlands

shiar
Starter
Starter

Post by shiar »

I learned today that Starships can get hit by Weapons, seems logical ;)
But what happens to the crew?
Are they lost at end of combat as well?
Can I save them?
Or should I just prioritize forfeiting them?

Thomas Krone / shiar
Haarlem, The Netherlands
Thomas Krone / shiar
Haarlem, The Netherlands

Gergall
Rules Advocate

Post by Gergall »

shiar wrote:
February 19th, 2021, 8:35 am
I learned today that Starships can get hit by Weapons, seems logical ;)
But what happens to the crew?
Are they lost at end of combat as well?
Can I save them?
Or should I just prioritize forfeiting them?
If your starship is hit by a weapon, the most common thing to do is forfeit your pilots and passengers first, then forfeit the starship.

There are cards that can save them (Escape Pod / Evacuate / Lost In Space) but these cards are not considered to be very good or popular.
Greg Zinn

shiar
Starter
Starter

Post by shiar »

THNX!

There’s more ;)

I ran into a situation where my reserve deck was empty and I need to draw destiny. How do I resolve that?
Do I recirculate? Or do I draw a ‘zero’?

Thomas Krone / shiar
Thomas Krone / shiar
Haarlem, The Netherlands

Gergall
Rules Advocate

Post by Gergall »

shiar wrote:
February 19th, 2021, 5:50 pm
I ran into a situation where my reserve deck was empty and I need to draw destiny. How do I resolve that?
The destiny draw "fails". This is similar to drawing a 0, but worse. In SWCCG sometimes you actually try to draw a low-numbered destiny (look at cards like Sense, Alter, Friendly Fire, and Overload for examples).

If you play Overload with an empty Reserve Deck, you don't get rewarded with a 0 - you fail! (The Overload card is wasted and placed in Lost Pile because it's a Lost Interrupt. The weapon you were trying to destroy will remain on table).

When it comes to battle destiny, a failure to draw any destiny card can be a lot worse than a 0. A total battle destiny of 0 and an attrition of 0 can be modified by other cards. But if you don't draw anything at all, your total battle destiny and attrition do not exist and cannot be modified.
Greg Zinn

shiar
Starter
Starter

Post by shiar »

So if have less cards in my Reserve than the amount of Force I generate I cannot draw destiny during my own turn because my entire reserve is now my force pile ?
Thomas Krone / shiar
Haarlem, The Netherlands

Gergall
Rules Advocate

Post by Gergall »

shiar wrote:
February 19th, 2021, 7:08 pm
So if have less cards in my Reserve than the amount of Force I generate I cannot draw destiny during my own turn because my entire reserve is now my force pile ?
You are not required to activate everything. At the beginning of your turn, count up your Force generation. That is the maximum you are allowed to activate. You may activate anywhere from 0 all the way up the maximum.

Now might be a good time to tell you that you can even perform other actions in the middle of your activation. Sometimes a player will want to activate just a few force, then use that force to play an interrupt that searches through their Reserve Deck. Then after they are done doing that, they will resume activating the rest of their force for the turn.
Greg Zinn

shiar
Starter
Starter

Post by shiar »

O_O

That enables some serious destiny management possibilities.
Thomas Krone / shiar
Haarlem, The Netherlands

Gergall
Rules Advocate

Post by Gergall »

shiar wrote:
February 20th, 2021, 4:44 am
That enables some serious destiny management possibilities.
Being able to keep track of where cards are in your deck is a part of the game. You know where a card is in your deck when you draw it for destiny or when you play a Used Interrupt. You can use that information to draw a certain card for destiny (or to draw a certain card into your hand).

This adds another element of skill to the game. Drawing destiny is definitely not like rolling dice. You can let your destiny control you... or you can control and shape your own destiny!
Greg Zinn

shiar
Starter
Starter

Post by shiar »

THNX :)

You knew this question was incoming: Attrition, how do we resolve it?

For the side winning the battle I think Attrition is straightforward (barring Immunity).
Winning side also has one or more casualties, okay got it.

But for the losing side we struggle...
When do we satisfy Attrition? Before or after battle damage?
I have seen different ways of explaining it on YouTube and blogs.
Please get into the nitty gritty as the overall concept is quite clear ;)
Thomas Krone / shiar
Haarlem, The Netherlands

Gergall
Rules Advocate

Post by Gergall »

When the loser forfeits a character from the battle, it satisfies both battle damage AND attrition at the same time. Lets do an example using some Premiere cards:

LS loses a battle. They have 12 battle damage and 5 attrition to satisfy.
LS characters in the battle are:
Obi-Wan Kenobi (forfeit 9)
Luke Skywalker (forfeit 7)
Jek Porkins (forfeit 4)
Momaw Nadon (forfeit 3)

If LS forfeits Momaw Nadon first, the damage goes from 12 down to 9. And the attrition goes from 5 down to 2.
Then LS forfeits Jek Porkins, so the damage goes from 9 down to 5, and the attrition goes from 2 down to 0.

At this point, there is no attrition left, just 5 battle damage. LS can cover that battle damage by losing 5 force (from hand or life force) or LS can forfeit Luke or Obi-Wan.
Greg Zinn

shiar
Starter
Starter

Post by shiar »

Aha, okay! complicated, but actually not complicated :)
As a game mechanic it boils down to 'just making sure there are casualties, if battle destiny is >0'

THNX
* poor Jek
Thomas Krone / shiar
Haarlem, The Netherlands

Return to “Rules Questions”