LS Alderaan (blown away) and CPI (V)

SWCCG Rules Q&A only.
DDM

LS Alderaan (blown away) and CPI (V)

Post by DDM »

CPI (V):

Text: If Death Star orbits Alderaan (and [Virtual Block 7] Central Core on table), deploy on Death Star and fire Superlaser at Alderaan; it is 'blown away.'
(etc etc)

What if LS deploys Alderaan (blown away) before CPI (V) is deployed ?
Can CPI (V) deploys there at all ?
The question arises because "blown away rules" state that :

From this point on, the location cannot be deployed or converted again. It is considered an unnamed location (i.e. a blown away Alderaan cannot have Haven deployed on it) with 0 Force icons, and no game text or other attributes except those specified below. Cards may still deploy and move to the location as normal
(obeying all standard rules, e.g. having presence).

So it would seem, by the rules, that while the card "Alderaan (blown away)" is named Alderaan, it can't have Haven deployed on it.
So, by the same logic, there is nothing for CPI (V) to deploy at, right ?
In this case, CPI (V) couldn't be played and so part of the DS deck would not work.

SirYoda wrote:I suggest we ban all creatures.
Or better yet, just ban DDM from playing creatures.

Gergall

Re: LS Alderaan (blown away) and CPI (V)

Post by Gergall »

I'd love to say that the "blown away" rules don't apply to this card, but clearly they do, as it's been ruled that Alderaan (Blown Away) cannot be converted by DS Alderaan.

I'll ask the team to look at this and make a ruling if necessary. Please note that CPI(V) is intended to work just fine against Alderaan (Blown Away):
Virtual Block 7 FAQ wrote: How does Commence Primary Ignition (V) interact with Alderaan (Blown Away)?

They really don't interact at all. CPI (V) fires the Superlaser, and since Alderaan is already blown away, there is no effect. The DS player may continue to use CPI (V) as normal.
/viewt ... 98#p561898
Greg Zinn

Gergall

Post by Gergall »

Turns out it works fine. Thanks Aglets for helping me with this one.
AR, Page C-1 wrote:If a location deploys as a blown away location, its name, game text, and icons still apply as normal (this overrides the general rules of being blown away). You are not considered to have blown away that location, but it does satisfy conditions that check to see if that location has been blown away.
Since "Alderaan (Blown Away)" is the only card in the game that deploys as a blown away location, you might have expected to find this information under "Card Rulings", but I guess it made its way into the general rules so that Design can more easily create stuff like "Death Star (Blown Away)" if they ever want to. Mildly interesting.
Greg Zinn

DDM

Post by DDM »

So it means you can deploy Haven on the system too ?
SirYoda wrote:I suggest we ban all creatures.
Or better yet, just ban DDM from playing creatures.

Gergall

Post by Gergall »

DDM wrote:So it means you can deploy Haven on the system too ?
Yes, you can.
Greg Zinn

Return to “Rules Questions”