Hunt Down/Epic Duel Questions with Luke

SWCCG Rules Q&A only.
Tarriel
Starter
Starter

Hunt Down/Epic Duel Questions with Luke

Post by Tarriel »

I haven't played regularly for a long time so I have forgotten a lot of rulings and am not up to speed on any new AR rulings either. So a couple of questions regarding HD , ED and VO. Didn't matter so much when there was a bucket full of Jedi running about before the reset I suppose :)

1: If Luke is in an enclosed vehicle as a BG site it flips HD ?
2: If as above he cannot be Epic dueled with VO ?
3 If as above vader moves to his site can he be obsessioned without using epic duel

points 1/2 seems to really screw HD over as he can hide in a speeder or hopper and get 2 BD with no down side to it regarding HD

Epic Duel
Deploy on your side of table. The Circle Is Now Complete or Vader's Obsession may be played to initiate an epic duel as follows: If Vader is present with specified target, each player draws two destiny (add 1 to each destiny draw if using a lightsaber).

Vaders Obsession
During your move phase, if Vader moves to Luke's site from an adjacent site, begin a duel between them. Each adds two destiny to power. Winner retrieves lost Force equal to the difference. Loser loses same amount of Force, plus the character

Thanks

Tarriel
Starter
Starter

Re: Hunt Down/Epic Duel Questions with Luke

Post by Tarriel »

heh I guess these are stupid questions then :)

Gergall

Post by Gergall »

Hey there! Please ask as many questions as you'd like, even if you think they might be silly. We get everything from the most basic "How do I play?" to incredibly complicated questions about things no one has ever thought of before, and everything between. We're happy to answer them all.

1. Even if Luke is inside an enclosed vehicle, he'll keep Hunt Down on the 0 side as long as he's at a battleground side. For example, if Luke is piloting Rogue 1 at the Tatooine docking bay, Hunt Down will be on the 0 side.
The reason is because Hunt Down doesn't say that Luke needs to be "present".

2. Epic Duel requires Luke to be present. If Luke is hiding inside Rogue 1, Vader won't be able to Epic Duel him.

3. Strangely enough, a regular Vader's Obsession (without Epic Duel) does not require Luke to be present. So even if Luke is in Rogue 1, Vader can use Vader's Obsession on him.
Note that Hunt Down goes out of play if you initiate a non-epic duel, though.

Regarding Hunt Down getting screwed over by Luke in Rogue 1 - it certainly is strong against Hunt Down, but there are ways of preparing for him. I would recommend posting in the Deck Discussion forum for ideas and advice.
Greg Zinn

Tarriel
Starter
Starter

Post by Tarriel »

Follow up question to above about Vaders Obssession

What is Lukes power then if Vader obsessions him while in the vehicle as the rules say while piloting his personal power is 0.?

Also if on a speeder bike his power is set to 0 aswell .?

thanks

Gergall

Post by Gergall »

Short answer: Even though he is inside Rogue 1, Commander Luke has 4 power for his non-epic Vader's Obsession duel.

Long answer: Great find!

The rules team looked at this and there is an extremely misleading section in the AR that makes it sound like a character in an enclosed vehicle has no power. We're all pretty shocked that no one has ever called attention to this before.

We intend to correct the misleading AR entry right away.

The correct ruling is that even while in an enclosed vehicle, Commander Luke would still have his normal 4 power for the purposes of Vader's Obsession or for anything else that needs to check how much power he has (for example, if you wanted to deploy a Bowcaster on Luke, you'd use his power of 4 to determine the deploy cost). However, Luke's 4 personal power does not count towards light side's total power at the site, for battling or for anything else that checks total power.
Greg Zinn

Lukes Bionic Hand
Retired Advocate
Location: A realm of existence so far beyond your own you cannot even imagine it

Post by Lukes Bionic Hand »

As Gergall said, good find. This is something that, when I read the original question, assumed would be explained in the rules entry for Enclosed, but the entry itself did give the impression that a character's power was completely unusable when inside an enclosed vehicle or starship, which was clearly not the intent of the entry. I have posted an updated version of the entry that clarifies that such characters still have personal power that may be used, but that they may not contribute that power to a player's total power at that location.

ruling posted here: /viewt ... 63#p903618
The Smoking Gungan wrote:worf plays for canada even though that team has no honor and plays dirty
Image Image

Tarriel
Starter
Starter

Post by Tarriel »

Thanks for the reply

VO and HD still need fixing in regard to ED, It wasn't such an issue before the reset but with the lack of Jedi now about Luke hiding in a speeder really should not stop HD flipping over, neither should VO without ED be allowed to duel him in the vehicle

Some sort of text on a future effect really should resolve this both ways

Gergall

Post by Gergall »

Tarriel wrote:Thanks for the reply

VO and HD still need fixing in regard to ED, It wasn't such an issue before the reset but with the lack of Jedi now about Luke hiding in a speeder really should not stop HD flipping over, neither should VO without ED be allowed to duel him in the vehicle

Some sort of text on a future effect really should resolve this both ways
If you've been playing reset-format games and have experienced this issue, you should report your results in the Reset Game Results forum: /viewforum.php?f=850

If you haven't played it out in games, you can still submit your feedback in the standard Reset forum: /viewforum.php?f=848

The designers are watching and listening in those forums to improve the reset and make it as enjoyable as possible.
Greg Zinn

Tarriel
Starter
Starter

Post by Tarriel »

Hi

It wasn't really a reset question more about resolving the fact Luke in a vehicle shouldn't keep HD flipped just because Decipher didn't think to add present at to the objective and also resolving VO so it cant duel Luke while in the vehicle .

VO should function as it does on ED that the target required is present

I wasn't getting at the reset game results at all. What I meant was perhaps a HD effect card helper for the future could address these issues.

Gergall

Post by Gergall »

Tarriel wrote:I wasn't getting at the reset game results at all. What I meant was perhaps a HD effect card helper for the future could address these issues.
I gotcha. Keep in mind though that you are in the rules questions forum, all we do here is answer questions about how the game works. I don't design cards.

So I'm just trying to help you out. The best place for your feedback about Commander Luke (V) vs Hunt Down is the reset discussion forum. And the best place to ask for help in beating Commander Luke (V) with your Hunt Down deck is to ask in the Deck Discussion forum - there might be some people with some very helpful suggestions already.
Greg Zinn

Return to “Rules Questions”