Timer Mine vs Jabba The Hutt (V)

SWCCG Rules Q&A only.
hyvee_doughboy

Timer Mine vs Jabba The Hutt (V)

Post by hyvee_doughboy »

Interesting situation came up in a game tonight. Dark side has Jabba The Hutt (V) + Ephant Mon (Alien leader). Light side has a Mining Droid and plays a Timer Mine.

Jabba The Hutt (V):
While with your alien leader, Jabba is immune to attrition and may not be targeted by Interrupts or weapons.

Timer Mine:
Deploy on opponent's side at same site as one of your mining droids. 'Explodes' at beginning of your next turn. Draw destiny. That number of opponent's characters there are immediately lost (owner's choice). Timer Mine is also lost.

Situation #1:
Light side draws a destiny of 2. What happens:

a) Timer mine must target 2 characters. However, Jabba can't be targeted. Therefore, due to the implied targeting rule, the entire action fails and DS doesn't lose anyone.
b) Timer mine targets the 2 characters as an "all cards" situation, and therefore gets around Jabba's text.
c) Dark side chooses which characters are targeted and lost one character at a time. DS must lose Ephant Mon first, then Jabba.
d) something else?

Situation #2:
Light Side draws a destiny of 7. What happens?:
a) Timer mine must target 7 characters, but can't since only 2 DS characters are present, so targetting fails and nothing happens.
b) Something similar to an all-cards situation DS has to lose his 2 characters.

Neither situation really seems to fit the "all cards" situation in the AR. However, we decided that the intent was probably that the Timer Mines would be just like a mini thermal detonator, so we basically treated Jabba's text as if it didn't exist (since his text wouldn't save him in an all-cards situation).

Did we do it right?

Tom M. - Maple Grove, Minnesota

hyvee_doughboy

Re: Timer Mine vs Jabba The Hutt (V)

Post by hyvee_doughboy »

bump?
Tom M. - Maple Grove, Minnesota

Lukes Bionic Hand
Retired Advocate
Location: A realm of existence so far beyond your own you cannot even imagine it

Re: Timer Mine vs Jabba The Hutt (V)

Post by Lukes Bionic Hand »

The rules team discussed this, and we all agreed that this is how these situations would resolve:

Situation 1: Option D

First off, it is worth noting that timer mine is not an all cards situation, so Jabba's protection text still functions against it. After the destiny is drawn for timer mine, the DS player would target as many characters as possible until they have chosen the appropriate number or they run out of valid targets; then each character targeted would be lost as competing automatic actions. In this case, only Ephant Mon is a valid target when Dark Side must choose targets, so only he is targeted and only he is lost. Once Ephant Mon is lost, Jabba the Hutt (v) would no longer be untargetable, but he would still survive in this case, because the window for targeting for the timer mine has already come and gone by the time he loses his protection.

Situation 2: Option... C?

Again, Dark Side must choose as many targets as possible up to the destiny drawn (7). However, only Ephant Mon would be targetable, so only he would be lost. It does not matter than Dark Side could not actually target 7 characters, just that they targeted as many as possible up to the amount drawn.
The Smoking Gungan wrote:worf plays for canada even though that team has no honor and plays dirty
Image Image

Return to “Rules Questions”