deploying pilots as passengers

SWCCG Rules Q&A only.
Saladas

deploying pilots as passengers

Post by Saladas »

luke's speeder can carry one pilot and one passenger. Can i deploy commander luke, who is a pilot, to the passenger seat if there are currently no characters on the speeder and then move him to the pilot seat?

Here's the AR excerpt: When a pilot character is deployed or moved aboard a vehicle or starship, that character is considered to be acting as a pilot if sufficient pilot capacity is available. You may designate which characters are acting as pilots (that is, you may relocate them between pilot and passenger capacity) at any time during your deploy or your move phase (if the capacity offers a choice, you may also change it between pilot and passenger as well). Any pilots aboard a starship or vehicle in excess of its pilot capacity are passengers and thus may not enhance the starship or vehicle.

i'm thinking the answer is no but want to make sure.

Gergall

Re: deploying pilots as passengers

Post by Gergall »

A literal interpretation of the rules indicates that if both seats are empty, Luke must deploy to a pilot seat first. Then you can "move" him to a passenger seat (during your deploy or move phase) if you would like to.

I always thought this rule was a little strange, but it's still the rules.
Greg Zinn

Saladas

Post by Saladas »

Gergall wrote:A literal interpretation of the rules indicates that if both seats are empty, Luke must deploy to a pilot seat first. Then you can "move" him to a passenger seat (during your deploy or move phase) if you would like to.

I always thought this rule was a little strange, but it's still the rules.
couldnt u also interpret it that u couldnt move the pilot to the passenger seat cuz he'd bounce right back to the pilot seat? i dont like this rule btw.

Gergall

Post by Gergall »

Saladas wrote:couldnt u also interpret it that u couldnt move the pilot to the passenger seat cuz he'd bounce right back to the pilot seat?
No, it only automatically sticks him in a pilot seat when he deploys aboard, or when he moves aboard. Switching him from pilot to passenger doesn't qualify as either of those things.

I'm adding a note to the rules team to at least take a look at this. Although the SWCCG Reset does not include a full-blown rules cleanup, it's still a reasonable time to look at weird little things like this.
Greg Zinn

Lukes Bionic Hand
Retired Advocate
Location: A realm of existence so far beyond your own you cannot even imagine it

Post by Lukes Bionic Hand »

While we were tweaking the Starships - Pilot entry for your other question, we decided to change the deploying as a pilot rule as well. It seemed like the intent of the rule was to prevent players from getting blown out by not declaring that they were deploying a pilot character as a pilot, and NOT to prevent players from deploying a pilot on an empty ship as a passenger if they really wanted to. Thus the entry has been modified slightly so that a pilot character just deployed aboard an empty ship or vehicle only defaults to piloting if a player does not specify which capacity slot they are occupying.

Ruling is posted here: /viewt ... =5#p914470
The Smoking Gungan wrote:worf plays for canada even though that team has no honor and plays dirty
Image Image

Return to “Rules Questions”