Can a character react back to a battle he moved away from?

SWCCG Rules Q&A only.
hyvee_doughboy

Can a character react back to a battle he moved away from?

Post by hyvee_doughboy »

We had an interesting question come up in a game today:

LS has Obi-Wan Kenobi:
"When a battle was just initiated where present, may use 1 Force to choose one opponent's character of ability = 1 present to move away (for free), or that character is lost. Immune to attrition < 5.”

DS has Darth Vader and a Stormtrooper Garrison present. At an adjacent site, DS has a Speeder Bike being piloted by a Biker Scout:
"May add 1 pilot and 1 passenger. May move as a 'react’…. "

LS initiates battle and uses 1 force to move the Stormtrooper Garrison away. DS chooses the site with the Speeder.

Certainly, DS can react by moving the speeder bike over. However, can the Garrison hop on and move back over as well?

I know that characters can embark/disembark from vehicles as part of a react. However, I’m a little unclear on whether or not the Garrison can re-enter the battle.

In the AR, I see this entry:
"Cards which participate in one battle may not normally participate in another battle during the same turn.”.

The word in that sentence that is hanging me up is *another*, which usually implies “different” or “separate” (for the same reason that cards which say “with another X”, cannot target itself).

In this case, the Garrison would be re-entering the original battle, and I can’t tell if that’s prohibited by the rules.

Another possibility is that moving the Garrison away counts as “excluding” that character from battle, in which case he’d be inactive and can’t react back. However, I can’t seem to find a definitive answer to whether this is an exclusion or not (for example, the AR states that cards that go to used pile during battle are not “excluded”, and I’m not sure if that same logic applies in this case)

Did I miss something in the AR that addresses this?

Tom M. - Maple Grove, Minnesota

Gergall

Re: Can a character react back to a battle he moved away fro

Post by Gergall »

I'm bringing this up for rules team discussion.

This also brings up another interesting point.

Forget about the move away/move back question for a moment. Simply consider a card that may move as a react (such as Rebel Scout). It appears that such a card can battle at location A, and then later on in that same turn, react to a 2nd battle at location B. The reacting card won't be able to participate, but it still seems that he can react anyway (and then become excluded).

Rules team will take a look at both items. I'll also add, it's possible that you and I are overlooking something in the AR, so I'm really not sure which way this will go.
Greg Zinn

hyvee_doughboy

Post by hyvee_doughboy »

Bump?
Tom M. - Maple Grove, Minnesota

Gergall

Post by Gergall »

Sorry, no answer yet, but we haven't lost sight of it. It's on our list.
Greg Zinn

Lukes Bionic Hand
Retired Advocate
Location: A realm of existence so far beyond your own you cannot even imagine it

Post by Lukes Bionic Hand »

You can react to a battle with a card, even if it cannot participate. However, it will be immediately excluded upon completing its react movement.

As for the 2nd issue of reacting back into a battle that a card has already participated in, we have closed that loophole by rewording the Participating in Battle entry in Chapter 6. It now says "Cards which participate in one battle may not normally participate in battle again during the same turn."

The ruling can be found here (under Chapter 6): /viewt ... 14#p977214
The Smoking Gungan wrote:worf plays for canada even though that team has no honor and plays dirty
Image Image

Return to “Rules Questions”