Weapon Of A Fallen Mentor

SWCCG Rules Q&A only.
Hobbie
DS Region: Endor

Weapon Of A Fallen Mentor

Post by Hobbie »

If I forfeit Mace who is armed with his lightsaber from battle, can I use this to give his saber to Qui?

--Nate Davis

Recommended traders: Phil78, Hunter, sac89837, Avatari, biffpow, Atma, rYyIrisH, categoryonegames.com, DarkQug, yannedern, Tom Bombadil, Bryan-Irish
Aglets wrote:Hobbie's got it.
Kevbozzz wrote:What the hell is the "home page"? I don't see any sub-forum by that name.

Gergall

Re: Weapon Of A Fallen Mentor

Post by Gergall »

Yes, sure. That seems to be the sort of thing this card is designed for.

(Just curious, is there anything I might be missing that led you to believe that it might not work?)
Greg Zinn

darkjediknight11
Communications Advocate
GEMP Username: djk11

Post by darkjediknight11 »

Gergall wrote:Yes, sure. That seems to be the sort of thing this card is designed for.

(Just curious, is there anything I might be missing that led you to believe that it might not work?)
the point of confusion was wondering if the character with saber going lost creates an all-cards situation where the lightsaber wouldn't technically be going lost in that case

also a follow-up, if you redeploy mace, what happens to this effect if you transfer the lightsaber back to him

Hobbie

Post by Hobbie »

Ya. Wasn't sure if lightsaber goes lost because the card carrying it is lost (leaves table) and thus it isn't just lost but rather placed in lost pile...
--Nate Davis

Recommended traders: Phil78, Hunter, sac89837, Avatari, biffpow, Atma, rYyIrisH, categoryonegames.com, DarkQug, yannedern, Tom Bombadil, Bryan-Irish
Aglets wrote:Hobbie's got it.
Kevbozzz wrote:What the hell is the "home page"? I don't see any sub-forum by that name.

Gergall

Post by Gergall »

When Mace goes lost, the lightsaber is also lost with him simultaneously (and yes, this is an "all cards" situation as per the Leaves Table rule). To Hobbie's point, yes a card lost in this manner is still "just lost" because it was lost from an active or inactive state (AR Page 1-7).

All cards situations do not prevent you from using "recovery" cards to get back things that were just lost. For example, your character lost in an "all cards" situation can still be placed in the Bacta Tank. Similarly, Mace's Lightsaber can be recovered by Weapon Of A Fallen Mentor.
Greg Zinn

darkjediknight11
Communications Advocate
GEMP Username: djk11

Post by darkjediknight11 »

so you could AJR an EPP Luke from a planet site that the death star just blew its system away?

Gergall

Post by Gergall »

darkjediknight11 wrote:also a follow-up, if you redeploy mace, what happens to this effect if you transfer the lightsaber back to him
It seems pretty clear-cut that the Effect will stay on table and continue to target the lightsaber. This doesn't allow Qui-Gon to "remote-control" the lightsaber, but it does mean he is still capable of using it (so you could transfer the lightsaber back and forth between Mace and Qui every turn if you wanted to for some reason).

I'm not certain what happens to Weapon Of A Fallen Mentor if the lightsaber leaves table (for example, if you transfer it to Mace and Mace goes lost again, taking the lightsaber with him, or if Hear Me Baby (V) caused Overload to destroy the lightsaber without also killing the character. I'll ask the rules team about this.
Greg Zinn

Gergall

Post by Gergall »

darkjediknight11 wrote:so you could AJR an EPP Luke from a planet site that the death star just blew its system away?
Yes. The rules only stop you from preventing all cards situations.

AJR doesn't prevent Luke from going lost. Luke goes lost, and then AJR responds to that. Luke was briefly in the lost pile.
AR, Page 4-4 wrote:Any weapon or interrupt that causes "all cards" to be lost at a location only affects characters, vehicles, starships, weapons and devices. Also, the effect on any target of an "all cards" situation cannot be prevented (such as Force Field trying to stop Concussion Grenade, a heroic character at same site as a Thermal Detonator, or Droid Shutdown to protect a droid from a seeker; none of the above can be used) unless it is specifically permitted (such as I Thought They Smelled Bad On The Outside protecting a character from Ice Storm).
EPP Luke wrote:"I've taken care of everything."
Greg Zinn

Gergall

Post by Gergall »

By the way, this is also legal:

-Mace and his lightsaber are lost.
-AJR to take Mace into hand
-Weapon Of A Fallen Mentor to put Mace's lightsaber on Qui

Note that you'd have to play AJR first, then WOAFM. If you played WOAFM first, then AJR cannot be played (the AR entry for AJR requires that the lightsaber be in the lost pile at the time AJR is played).
Greg Zinn

Lukes Bionic Hand
Retired Advocate
Location: A realm of existence so far beyond your own you cannot even imagine it

Post by Lukes Bionic Hand »

Sorry for the long wait on the final ruling here.

We have added an entry in Appendix B that explains what happens to this immediate effect if the targeted lightsaber leaves table or goes inactive.

The ruling can be found here:

I will quote the entry from that ruling below: /viewt ... 14#p977214
Weapon Of A Fallen Mentor [new entry]
If lightsaber targeted by this card later leaves table, this Immediate Effect is lost. Likewise, if the targeted lightsaber becomes inactive, this card will also be inactive until the lightsaber is active again.
The Smoking Gungan wrote:worf plays for canada even though that team has no honor and plays dirty
Image Image

Return to “Rules Questions”