barich

SWCCG Rules Q&A only.
WiseMarsellus

barich

Post by WiseMarsellus »

i've asked about barich multiple times in the past and the latest ruling is inconsistent with earlier rulings. i've always seen it ruled that barich works regardless of whether or not ls draws destiny

tom kelly
Image Image Image Image
check out my youtube page for swccg video content, and my twitch for swccg live streams!

WiseMarsellus

Re: barich

Post by WiseMarsellus »

/viewt ... ch#p868429

/viewt ... ch#p820829

are the only two that appear to still be on the forum
tom kelly
Image Image Image Image
check out my youtube page for swccg video content, and my twitch for swccg live streams!

Gergall

Post by Gergall »

Sorry for all of the back-and-forth confusion on this guy.

Please give us some time to review this more closely and get our act together :)
Greg Zinn

Lukes Bionic Hand
Retired Advocate
Location: A realm of existence so far beyond your own you cannot even imagine it

Post by Lukes Bionic Hand »

It looks like those 2 rulings were based on the rules entry that allowed "satisfy/cancel all attrition and battle damage" cards like Ephant Mon to work when one or the other value was not present, which isn't quite the same thing as Barich, who works on total power and attrition. Because there is no such allowance for cards like Barich, the previous rulings were in error and are considered reversed, so Barich et al. require attrition to subtract from in order to be usable.
The Smoking Gungan wrote:worf plays for canada even though that team has no honor and plays dirty
Image Image

JediJer
Administrator

Post by JediJer »

So Barich can't subtract from total power (which will always exist in battle) if attrition does not exist?

Three cheers for the implied target rule. :roll: :roll: :roll:

Did I say cheers? I meant eye rolls. Sorry 'bout that.

gogolen
LS Region: Coruscant
LS Region: Coruscant
Holotable username: gogolen
GEMP Username: gogolen

Post by gogolen »

just want to necro this thread and see if its worth another look. it seems strange that you can't subtract without a battle destiny because it targets both power and attrition. They still have a power total that you could subtract from.

Or maybe we just have to errata these cards to say "and/or"

PC Store Manager
Kevbozzz wrote:I agree 100% with Gogolen's responses.
Now streaming games on Youtube & Twitch- please subscribe to my channels- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjqwgj ... Xu5T9vp4AQ
Twitch- https://www.twitch.tv/gogolen

NEW & RETURNING PLAYER ARTICLES- https://forum.starwarsccg.org/viewt ... 32&t=50486

vhstapes

Post by vhstapes »

gogolen wrote:just want to necro this thread and see if its worth another look. it seems strange that you can't subtract without a battle destiny because it targets both power and attrition. They still have a power total that you could subtract from.

Or maybe we just have to errata these cards to say "and/or"
I'm not sure what the most elegant way to deal with this would be, but I agree that it isn't intuitive. Could the rules be changed so that no destiny draw = 0 attrition (with zero being a number that can be modified) or would that mess with a bunch of other stuff?
-Cyrus M.
\m/ Endor Region \m/

Data Tapes - 05 - The Unofficial NARP Defensive Shield Primer

Hayes
LS Region: Kashyyyk

Post by Hayes »

At Nats bright hope was in a battle where dark wasn't drawing battle destiny. I ruled that bright hope couldn't use it's ability as there was no attrition to subtract from, citing the Barich ruling as precedent (the second link tom provided).

But I also commented that's not how we used to play Barich. The way it was always played in the past, afaik, was he could trigger no matter what (and just couldn't reduce power to a negative number).

Gergall

Post by Gergall »

vhstapes wrote:Could the rules be changed so that no destiny draw = 0 attrition (with zero being a number that can be modified) or would that mess with a bunch of other stuff?
Yes it would mess with stuff. For example, "Wedge In Red Squadron 1" would now clear "Zuckuss In Mist Hunter" in a 1-on-1 battle, because adding a destiny to attrition would work for him.

WIRS1 would be able to clear various other independent ships alone as well, not just ZiMH.
Greg Zinn

Hayes

Post by Hayes »

Light plays this card when exactly? If before battle destiny is drawn, what happens?

Gergall

Post by Gergall »

Dark Dissension is played in the power segment, after both players have fully completed drawing power destinies, battle destinies, and attrition destinies.
Greg Zinn

alphabeta
Enhanced Product
Enhanced Product
GEMP Username: alphabeta; GalenErso

Post by alphabeta »

That is very interesting, I had never thought about this aspect. Sounds counter intuitive that you need both power and attrition for the action to proceed. Was that the original intent?
As Gogolen suggested, "and/or" could be a solution...

Gergall

Post by Gergall »

The rules team isn't facing any sort of a dilemma over this. The answer has been provided, and has been consistent in the AR for a very long time. No change is planned from Rules Team.

Design Team could decide to change the cards (or the rules) if they wish to do so.
Greg Zinn

fungineer
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold
Holotable username: fungineer
GEMP Username: fungineer

Post by fungineer »

Gergall wrote:The rules team isn't facing any sort of a dilemma over this. The answer has been provided, and has been consistent in the AR for a very long time. No change is planned from Rules Team.

We are, however, hoping to make this type of thing much more clear in the next version of the AR ;)
* Congrats if you read through my whole post. Have a cookie, it's in your cache.
* https://gemp.starwarsccg.org/gemp-swccg Play for free, even if you don't own good cards. Then play in real life, with real people, even if you aren't any good.
Image Image Image
Sagnet wrote:At this point, I think your posts are more unclear than the rules are.

Return to “Rules Questions”