2010 Tournament Schedule

imrahil327
Tournament Advocate

2010 Tournament Schedule

Post by imrahil327 »

After what I feel was a fairly successful 2009 tournament season, I look forward to the new one with great anticipation. As you can see, we have made some changes to the way the season is arranged. Hopefully this will allow for a more robust tournament scene. Without further ado:

Now - July 31: League season
Early January: Texas Mini-Worlds
January 1 - July 31: States & Regionals events
March/April: Match Play Championship
June/July: Nationals events
August: Worlds 2010 (Location TBA)
October: San Diego Mega Tournament

Go to this thread to find out when and where your State and Regional events will be held!

The biggest change, obviously, is the date of the World Championships. I’ve put together a Q & A about this decision that will hopefully show the reasons I believe this is a change for the better.

•Why Summer Worlds?
The reasons for having Worlds in summer are twofold: First, we have received player feedback that says many players would be interested in having Worlds in summer. The most commonly cited reason for this is that for both students and educators (of which we have several in the community), it increases their chances of attending because they will not have to take time from school or work.

Secondly, I believe that by shifting the tournament season in this manner, we will be able to more fully utilize the calendar and have tournaments throughout the year. Traditionally, there have been no large tournaments held between Worlds and the Match Play/Texas event in January. With the expenses and time commitments created by the holiday season, and events on either side of it, there is really no good time to have one. In this format, it will be possible to have a large tournament in the fall while still utilizing the rest of the year fully.

•Won’t this shorten the tournament season?
Not significantly. It will be slightly truncated this year, but for the greatest number of events (States and Regionals) there will be the same amount of time allotted: This year these events were held between March and September, next year they will be held between January and July. Further, it will actually expand future seasons, as discussed above.

•Does Summer Worlds mean Worlds at a convention?
No. While we do encourage events to be held at cons so that the game can be exposed to both new and returning players, the logistics and cost involved in having our biggest tournament of the year at one of the major conventions is just too great.

•Won’t attendance suffer due to competing with other summer events such as GenCon?
I don’t believe so. It does not seem like a significant portion of our player base attends GenCon, and as such it should not be a concern.

•Is this change permanent?
Not necessarily. This is something that has been requested for a while now, and I personally think that it is a positive step, but that does not mean that there is no going back. If Worlds is significantly impacted in a negative way by this decision, I am willing to revisit it next year.

If you have any other questions, I will answer them as best I can.

Hunter wrote:Sebulba's W-L record is like...Always and 1. Tebow's is nowhere near that percentage.
allstarz97, about M:TG wrote:I feel like Michael Jordan playing baseball.

noscreenname
DS Region: Coruscant
DS Region: Coruscant

Re: 2010 Tournament Schedule

Post by noscreenname »

imrahil327 wrote:If you have any other questions, I will answer them as best I can.
where do babies come from?
REDGLARE!

Shadow 47

Ant
Enhanced Product
Enhanced Product

Post by Ant »

noscreenname wrote:
imrahil327 wrote:If you have any other questions, I will answer them as best I can.
where do babies come from?

I don't think science knows that yet. But if you find a girl who says she knows, ask her to show you.

Texas mini worlds, that DFW or Houston?
The Smoking Gungan wrote:Kirk: What does God need with a starship?

idk prolly the same reason he needed them in the Book of Ezekiel jerk.
http://hubpages.com/u/1032455.jpg
I tried stunning leader on my wife, but her ability was too low, and she was not amused. I think maybe she is more of a creature then a character, will write back with further details.

arebelspy

Post by arebelspy »

Cool. I think it's what most people want, so despite the fact that fall is easier for me to attend and I voted for that, I support a summer worlds.

Also:
imrahil327 wrote: •Is this change permanent?
Not necessarily. This is something that has been requested for a while now, and I personally think that it is a positive step, but that does not mean that there is no going back. If Worlds is significantly impacted in a negative way by this decision, I am willing to revisit it next year.
I REALLY like this attitude. The PC should be willing to take risks to try something new, but also go back if it doesn't work. Especially on something like this.

The SD tourney in oct is interesting, cause the SD event was always based around comic con, but not now. We'll see how that turns out. I feel like the easy coasters might not travel for it, leaving a gap between august and january (even bigger than our current gap).

the mpc should be in there, imo, but that's obviously up to the people hosting it.

jcb213
Booster Box
Booster Box

Post by jcb213 »

arebelspy wrote:The SD tourney in oct is interesting, cause the SD event was always based around comic con, but not now. We'll see how that turns out. I feel like the easy coasters might not travel for it, leaving a gap between august and january (even bigger than our current gap).

the mpc should be in there, imo, but that's obviously up to the people hosting it.
Maybe West Nationals could be in San Diego this year on the Saturday/Sunday of Comic Con?

imrahil327
Tournament Advocate

Post by imrahil327 »

noscreenname wrote:where do babies come from?
I'll show you next time I see you.
Ant wrote:Texas mini worlds, that DFW or Houston?
It's in Houston- check out the forum at the top of the list for details.
arebelspy wrote:The SD tourney in oct is interesting, cause the SD event was always based around comic con, but not now. We'll see how that turns out. I feel like the easy coasters might not travel for it, leaving a gap between august and january (even bigger than our current gap).
Heh, it is interesting indeed. My thinking was actually somewhat opposite- putting the SD event during Comic Con means that it competed for travel dollars/time with States and Regionals events back east, and people would generally rather attend those due to price, convenience, and in some cases more attendance (as west coast events are generally thought of to be smaller- a self-fulfilling prophecy, but that's part of a much longer post). This way, it isn't competing with ANY other tournaments for either time or money, and it's in San Diego, where it will be 75 and sunny while it's snowing in Philly. We'll see which of us is right, I suppose :)
The gap will not be an issue. That is one of my goals with this schedule, to use more of the year than we do now. The SD event is not an exhaustive list of the tournaments that will be held during that time frame, and if it looks like it will still be a problem, we can move that around too.
jcb213 wrote:Maybe West Nationals could be in San Diego this year on the Saturday/Sunday of Comic Con?
If there is still enough interest in having an event specifically centered around Comic Con, I have no problem having TWO San Diego Mega Tournaments! :) You are not the first one to request this, so it's certainly a possibility.
Hunter wrote:Sebulba's W-L record is like...Always and 1. Tebow's is nowhere near that percentage.

quesosauce37
LS Region: Tatooine
GEMP Username: quesosauce

Post by quesosauce37 »

jcb213 wrote:

Maybe West Nationals could be in San Diego this year on the Saturday/Sunday of Comic Con?

Colorado would love to host Western Nationals this year as well!
Jerry H

Image Image

brady1194
Enhanced Product
Enhanced Product

Post by brady1194 »

Why not start the leagues sooner? I was sorta looking forward to kicking one off for MN in November.

Brady

Shadow 13
GEMP Username: shadow13

Post by Shadow 13 »

i suggest we rename the "Texas Mini-Worlds" event: "The Texas Winter Games" esp if it's going to be in january from now on.

i like the new schedule although i'm much more likely to go to SD for comiccon than for a swccg tournament in october (although that is tempting as well....esp if i can then go to disneyland later that week...in fact have the event in LA please).
ryan french
rebel strike team founder
two-time washington state champion
rhendon wrote:why not just elect a puppy as president, or mikefrench.

imrahil327
Tournament Advocate

Post by imrahil327 »

brady1194 wrote:Why not start the leagues sooner? I was sorta looking forward to kicking one off for MN in November
Consider it done. :) I almost included two league seasons in the year, but it wasn't quite long enough to do this year. It will likely be implemented for next year, though. For this year, feel free to schedule league events whenever you want, starting now. I'll get the league forums reset- if there's anything else you need to get going, let me know.
Shadow 13 wrote:i suggest we rename the "Texas Mini-Worlds" event: "The Texas Winter Games" esp if it's going to be in january from now on.
Heh, talk to Richards about this- not a bad idea though :)
i like the new schedule although i'm much more likely to go to SD for comiccon than for a swccg tournament in october (although that is tempting as well....esp if i can then go to disneyland later that week...in fact have the event in LA please).
Re: Comic-Con, the only problem is that it is near the end of July, which puts it 2-3 weeks away from Worlds. If people are planning to come to Comic-Con, I'd be happy to run an event, but it's going to be tough for people to do both, I think.

Re: LA tournament rather than San Diego, it is quite possible that we could make that happen.

BrenDerlin

Post by BrenDerlin »

imrahil327 wrote: Re: LA tournament rather than San Diego, it is quite possible that we could make that happen.
Hell yes we could!
WUBBA LUBBA DUB DUB!
Brad Eier wrote:i have no idea who matt thorton is, possibly the son of billy bob?

mikefrench
Top Cards
Top Cards

Post by mikefrench »

i'd love an LA tournament (anaheim specifically) so i could bring my wife and the wives could go to disneyland on the tournament day. and i could go to disneyland on day 2 when the good players are playing.
The Honky Tonk Man wrote:If you want to post trash takes, at least go the Mike French route and come off as being somewhat reasonable.

quesosauce37
GEMP Username: quesosauce

Post by quesosauce37 »

mikefrench wrote:i'd love an LA tournament (anaheim specifically) so i could bring my wife and the wives could go to disneyland on the tournament day. and i could go to disneyland on day 2 when the good players are playing.

i wanna go on space mountain with mikefrench!
Jerry H

Image Image

mikefrench
Top Cards
Top Cards

Post by mikefrench »

quesosauce37 wrote:
mikefrench wrote:i'd love an LA tournament (anaheim specifically) so i could bring my wife and the wives could go to disneyland on the tournament day. and i could go to disneyland on day 2 when the good players are playing.

DEAL

fastpass ftw
The Honky Tonk Man wrote:If you want to post trash takes, at least go the Mike French route and come off as being somewhat reasonable.

Shadow 13

Post by Shadow 13 »

but my favorite ride is The Line!

Lines lines lines lines LIIIIIIINES

/cartmanland
ryan french

JediJer
Administrator

Post by JediJer »

quesosauce37 wrote:

arebelspy

Post by arebelspy »

imrahil327 wrote: Summer Worlds
I can't believe this isn't getting more discussion.

I think it'll be cool, give players time over the summer to get together with playtest groups to be all ready for worlds in August!

Shadow 13

Post by Shadow 13 »

arebelspy wrote:
imrahil327 wrote: Summer Worlds
I can't believe this isn't getting more discussion.

I think it'll be cool, give players time over the summer to get together with playtest groups to be all ready for worlds in August!
i dunno i'm kinda sad about it. if i don't find a new job that meets my standard of living within the next 9 months, i guess i'm not going to worlds.
ryan french

The Franchise

Post by The Franchise »

i think no discussion is a good thing, cause usually we have most discussion about a negative thing. ie, they ban 100 non borken cards, people get angry and speak out

here, the pc listened to the players, used reason and logic. who would be upset at that?
V set 6 and 7 release rountable analysis with Reid, Carulli and myself:

https://forum.starwarsccg.org/viewt ... =2&t=64906

arebelspy

Post by arebelspy »

Brad Eier wrote:i think no discussion is a good thing, cause usually we have most discussion about a negative thing. ie, they ban 100 non borken cards, people get angry and speak out

here, the pc listened to the players, used reason and logic. who would be upset at that?
that's a good point. we only have discussion when it's b1tching most of the time. no discussion = no one's upset, everyone's happy.

well i approve pc, good work listening to the players.

Return to “2010 Worlds - Philadelphia, PA - August 12-15, 2010”