2010 Tournament Schedule

Captain_Twinkie
Sealed Deck
Sealed Deck

Re: 2010 Tournament Schedule

Post by Captain_Twinkie »

Im sad by the change with the San Diego event, I was talking to my GF/ soon to be fiance, and she was all excited about going to it, but with it being in Oct, it will be alot harder for me to go. Now if worlds is in a really good family happy place, then there might be a chance for that, but August is a really hard time for me, since I am a tech for the local school district, and Aug is when I start back up again, I might be able go to West Nats if its in a good spot.

James Lewis
Utah's Super Scrub
Team Super Scrub
Utah States 2009 5th Place
Idaho States 2009 Sixth Place
Ranked Dead last in the world with Decipher's old Rankings

imrahil327
Tournament Advocate

Post by imrahil327 »

Several people have expressed interest in a Comic-Con tournament, so if you were shooting for that, keep planning for it. There's no reason we can't do both.
Hunter wrote:Sebulba's W-L record is like...Always and 1. Tebow's is nowhere near that percentage.
allstarz97, about M:TG wrote:I feel like Michael Jordan playing baseball.

Captain_Twinkie
Sealed Deck
Sealed Deck

Post by Captain_Twinkie »

That be awesome, hopefully me and her can afford it, things will be pretty tight for us till then, but she was all for going with me to the event.
James Lewis
Utah's Super Scrub
Team Super Scrub
Utah States 2009 5th Place
Idaho States 2009 Sixth Place
Ranked Dead last in the world with Decipher's old Rankings

MasterJediAdam
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold

Post by MasterJediAdam »

Has there been a date settled for 2010 Worlds yet? I see august, and I would suggest NOT the first weekend in august. Have it where you want, but Indy or atlanta are both good ideas to me.
ImageImage

fallensith
Anthology
Anthology

Post by fallensith »

What is stopping Worlds from being at GenCon on August 5-8th?

I heard money would be an issue. Is it the ticket prices? Hotels? For individuals? Or is it the cost Gen Con charges for the event? Please let me know if it is the later I may have a solution.

imrahil327
Tournament Advocate

Post by imrahil327 »

All of the above, really. It costs more for us AND it costs more for the players.
Hunter wrote:Sebulba's W-L record is like...Always and 1. Tebow's is nowhere near that percentage.
allstarz97, about M:TG wrote:I feel like Michael Jordan playing baseball.

AnakinSolo
Retired Advocate

Post by AnakinSolo »

We used to have worlds at gencon.
There were two issues.
The first was that GenCon charged craploads of money to host the event, and that was on top of passes, on top of harder hotel rooms, which made it an extremely expensive proposition
The second was that, for reasoning both relating to cost, and to the location, there was really low turnout.
Well, Bye.

AnakinSolo
Retired Advocate

Post by AnakinSolo »

fristed.
Well, Bye.

Aglets
Rules Advocate

Post by Aglets »

there's also the issue that sometimes comes up with cons where they don't reimburse you for event tickets.
Rian Johnson wrote: I would be worried if everybody across the board was like "Yea, that was a good movie." It's much more exciting to me when you get a group of people who are coming up to you.....really really excited about it. And then there are other people who walk out literally saying that was the worst movie I've ever seen. Having those two extremes to me is the mark of the type of movie that I want to make.

PapaLorax

Post by PapaLorax »

Aglets wrote:there's also the issue that sometimes comes up with cons where they don't reimburse you for event tickets.
The big issue with GenCon isn't the reimbursement its that the fee for an 8 hour tournament is really high...it's like $2/hour per player IIRC.

I believe the finals can be free of charge.

So to make it even remotely similiar you would need the cost per player to be much higher...plus badge costs.
Terron wrote:Can't we settle this like real virgins?

ChrisHerr
DS Region: Yavin 4
DS Region: Yavin 4

Post by ChrisHerr »

So,

Worlds in August, not at GenCon, (Aug 5- 8th ) [Hopefully not during GenCon, as I know several SWCCG players in my area are going to GenCon. Not sure if many SWCCG playes are Warhammer 40k players. Games Workshops 2010 North America Games Day is August 21st.]

So, maybe later in the month would be great.

I didn't see this asked before, but looking at the player locator, it seems like most players are on the East Coast. However, worlds last year was on the East Coast.
Not sure if it would be West coast to be fair since it was east coast last year, or if it will be East coast as that's where the majority are.....

Has there been any discussion as to 'where' Worlds might be?

Chris
Wash DC

AnakinSolo
Retired Advocate

Post by AnakinSolo »

Chris is looking at locations right now, trying to find the best deal.
Well, Bye.

Anodos
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold

Post by Anodos »

MAVanDriel wrote:Chris is looking at locations right now, trying to find the best deal.
We can have it at my apartment.
Blake Huffman

You know what I'm talking about. This is just like that time Captain Picard wanted Luke to go with Treebeard but Luke was all "I don't know what you're talking about, do you mean this dragon I caught?" and Captain Picard was all NO RETARD, I mean go with that tree and Luke just kept talking to his friends Anakin and Jar-Jar and then he left Picard on Mordor and forgot about it completely. I love that episode.

Quoted from an email my wife sent me.

Lando w/ Colt 45

Post by Lando w/ Colt 45 »

I want another East Coast Worlds... one that I have a little time to build and test for. My friend and I were really excited for last year, but just had zero playtesting done because of the Revolution problems.
FYI: If I'm posting in this color, I'm speaking as a Moderator. Otherwise, I'm just sayin'.
Kevbozzz wrote:I just think we should encourage kids to play with guns.

arebelspy

Post by arebelspy »

Lando w/ Colt 45 wrote:I want another East Coast Worlds... one that I have a little time to build and test for. My friend and I were really excited for last year, but just had zero playtesting done because of the Revolution problems.
...like the rest of us.
:roll:

CategoryOneGames.com
GEMP Username: Categoryon

Post by CategoryOneGames.com »

Lando w/ Colt 45 wrote:I want another East Coast Worlds... one that I have a little time to build and test for. My friend and I were really excited for last year, but just had zero playtesting done because of the Revolution problems.
There was a problem there?

The Franchise

Post by The Franchise »

MAVanDriel wrote:We used to have worlds at gencon.
There were two issues.
The first was that GenCon charged craploads of money to host the event, and that was on top of passes, on top of harder hotel rooms, which made it an extremely expensive proposition
The second was that, for reasoning both relating to cost, and to the location, there was really low turnout.

ehh

WRONG

sorta

turnout was not "really" low, worlds was always the biggest event of the year when it was at gencon. so if we are going to talk about low turnouts, i think it is indicative of lesser interest in swccg in like 2004, and more people returned in later years. 45+ player tournaments aren't really a low turnout- also recall with each passing year, it has become easier to get a day 2 bye. 04/05 they didn't mean a LOT, but were still harder than just showing up like lingrell allowed for worlds this year (not even getting into how the guy from jersey bent the rules to increase turnout for day 2 of the jersey event which is kinda shady). but like jigga who is good at swccg didnt make day 2 and tried to show up and play anyway

as for the cost... yeah, gencon badges are expensive. but the pc did some good stuff: day 2 was only 6 games, cutting 2 dollars off of the fees. and its a con, its worth the extra expense to the players.

also umm part of the reason gencon may or may not have shafted the pc is cause the pc DID shaft gencon by allowing thomas whaley to play in a day 1 event without a badge. thats poor td/pc leadership, and they are lucky and should be thankful gencon didnt shut down all of worlds, cause they would have bene totally justified in doing so.

so, there you go. worlds will not be at gencon, and that is a decision i am perfectly fine with. but there is no need to perpetuate misinformation and lies to try and bolster the case against HAVING THE WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP OF SWCCG AT THE LARGEST GAMING CONVENTION IN AMERICA.

also, decipher ran worlds for lotr and stuff there multiple times and people seemed to show up.

lando:

are you complaining about the revolution? why are you so negative all the time????
V set 6 and 7 release rountable analysis with Reid, Carulli and myself:

https://forum.starwarsccg.org/viewt ... =2&t=64906

Lando w/ Colt 45

Post by Lando w/ Colt 45 »

You know, Brad... just fightin' the Power.

I liked a lot about the Revolution. The timing was about as awful as it could possibly have been, though, and the logistical delays just made it worse.
FYI: If I'm posting in this color, I'm speaking as a Moderator. Otherwise, I'm just sayin'.
Kevbozzz wrote:I just think we should encourage kids to play with guns.

Shadow 13
GEMP Username: shadow13

Post by Shadow 13 »

day 2 was only 6 games? that's ridiculous
ryan french
rebel strike team founder
two-time washington state champion
rhendon wrote:why not just elect a puppy as president, or mikefrench.

mr007agent

Post by mr007agent »

Brad Eier wrote:also umm part of the reason gencon may or may not have shafted the pc is cause the pc DID shaft gencon by allowing thomas whaley to play in a day 1 event without a badge. thats poor td/pc leadership, and they are lucky and should be thankful gencon didnt shut down all of worlds, cause they would have bene totally justified in doing so.
It wasn't just Thomas Whaley, it was A LOT of players, including myself.
Michael Richards
Rogue 84
PC Volunteer
Shadow 43 - Dantooine Flight Leader
http://omega.uta.edu/~mhr7680/dantooineswccg.html
-007-
ImageImage

Return to “2010 Worlds - Philadelphia, PA - August 12-15, 2010”