2010 Tournament Schedule

imrahil327
Tournament Advocate

Re: 2010 Tournament Schedule

Post by imrahil327 »

That will be coming in the next day or two. We're just confirming a couple more things, then we'll have a big announcement.

Hunter wrote:Sebulba's W-L record is like...Always and 1. Tebow's is nowhere near that percentage.
allstarz97, about M:TG wrote:I feel like Michael Jordan playing baseball.

The Franchise

Post by The Franchise »

idk, what was attendance like for west nats last year? i know it had been down, to the point where before someone complained, we had planned to go to 1 nationals last year

i mean, more events is a good thing, but like, imagine just one mega event in like june in colorado called the national championship
V set 6 and 7 release rountable analysis with Reid, Carulli and myself:

https://forum.starwarsccg.org/viewt ... =2&t=64906

imrahil327
Tournament Advocate

Post by imrahil327 »

It sounds like a nice thought, Brad, but for the most part East Coasters have shown over and over that they aren't willing to travel to events further than Texas, which would mean that if we were to only have one Nationals, EAST Nationals is more likely to be the one staying.
Hunter wrote:Sebulba's W-L record is like...Always and 1. Tebow's is nowhere near that percentage.

The Smoking Gungan
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold

Post by The Smoking Gungan »

imrahil327 wrote:There are a few problems with Comic-Con:
1. It's already sold out for Friday & Saturday, so that would leave Thursday as the only day people could actually go to the con (assuming there were still tournaments Sunday).
i felt that one day at the con was enough, and it helped to keep costs low. but regardless can we get a final decision one way or the other soon, while there are still some badges available? if there's no event this year that's fine, i just don't want to find out a couple months from now that there will be a comic-con event after all the badges are already sold out (or conversely, i don't want to jump the gun and buy a 1-day badge only to find out that there will be no swccg event).
2. It is only 3 weeks before Worlds, so it would compete for travel dollars, I'd think. If this is not the case, that's good news I suppose.
with the compressed schedule this year, won't this be the case regardless? if you need a four week buffer between the last big event and a worlds held the second week in August, then you are trying to fit two nationals, a number of cons, and whatever states/regionals remain in a 6 week period. i don't really see how this can be avoided unless we start holding less events

The Smoking Gungan
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold

Brad Eier wrote:idk, what was attendance like for west nats last year? i know it had been down, to the point where before someone complained, we had planned to go to 1 nationals last year

i mean, more events is a good thing, but like, imagine just one mega event in like june in colorado called the national championship
west nats in seattle got 21 players i think, which was probably the best turn out the event has ever had. not to mention that it was held only the second weekend after the revolution/ref4 went live (and the first where there were actual pdfs available).

but certainly a combined national championship is worth serious consideration, especially if there are no 'strong' applications for the eastern championship. i suppose aglets' yavin 4 regional could transition to the eastern champs given the strong caliber of players that usually attended. but then again its may event date puts it outside the window for holding national events so idk

quesosauce37
LS Region: Tatooine
GEMP Username: quesosauce

Post by quesosauce37 »

yea the summer worlds really shrinks the summer season

we were thinknig of doing wnats early on this year, like first week in june
Jerry H

Image Image

imrahil327
Tournament Advocate

Post by imrahil327 »

The Smoking Gungan wrote:i felt that one day at the con was enough, and it helped to keep costs low. but regardless can we get a final decision one way or the other soon, while there are still some badges available? if there's no event this year that's fine, i just don't want to find out a couple months from now that there will be a comic-con event after all the badges are already sold out (or conversely, i don't want to jump the gun and buy a 1-day badge only to find out that there will be no swccg event).
Re: One day- I agree it's enough, but for people traveling, it might be tough to get Thursday AND Friday off, hence why we suggested people go to the Con on Friday last year.

Regardless, you are correct that we should finalize one way or another soon. I may start a thread about it asking for commitments- which we will need, in order to address point 3 of my previous post.

with the compressed schedule this year, won't this be the case regardless? if you need a four week buffer between the last big event and a worlds held the second week in August, then you are trying to fit two nationals, a number of cons, and whatever states/regionals remain in a 6 week period. i don't really see how this can be avoided unless we start holding less events
I'm not sure what you mean by this. We have more than 6 weeks between now and the second weekend in August. People can (and should) start holding these events NOW, rather than waiting until right before.

imrahil327
Tournament Advocate

Post by imrahil327 »

quesosauce37 wrote:yea the summer worlds really shrinks the summer season
I think it's partially due to people not realizing that wanting Worlds in summer would force at least part of the tournament season to NOT be in Summer, so people are still waiting to start planning States/Regionals...which is a problem.
That would be ideal, yes.

The Franchise

Post by The Franchise »

yeah, the transition year this year for summer worlds everything is compressed. i'd say to truly gauge the results we would need to wait a couple yrs prolly

but yeah start making events happen NOW

The Smoking Gungan
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold

imrahil327 wrote:
I'm not sure what you mean by this. We have more than 6 weeks between now and the second weekend in August. People can (and should) start holding these events NOW, rather than waiting until right before.
imrahil327 wrote:
quesosauce37 wrote:yea the summer worlds really shrinks the summer season
I think it's partially due to people not realizing that wanting Worlds in summer would force at least part of the tournament season to NOT be in Summer, so people are still waiting to start planning States/Regionals...which is a problem.
even ignoring states and regionals, you still have two national events, up to three major cons (origins, comicon, gencon), and worlds all trying to squeeze into a ten week period (beginning of june to middle of August). so there could literally be a major swccg event every other weekend during that period. no idea whether that's a good or a bad thing, but it definitely means that the 'we can't run an event this weekend because it's too close to another event' argument will be hard to justify. (and then when you consider that some local tds are going to procrastinate and wait 'til summer to run stuff regardless, it gets to be an even bigger headache.)
That would be ideal, yes.
i have no objections to that scheduling, but i want to point out that yavin 4 is usually held in the second half of may, so ppl may have to choose between that and the colorado event. i don't think there are a lot of ppl who would travel to both events if there was more time between them

quesosauce37
GEMP Username: quesosauce

Post by quesosauce37 »

The Smoking Gungan wrote: i have no objections to that scheduling, but i want to point out that yavin 4 is usually held in the second half of may, so ppl may have to choose between that and the colorado event. i don't think there are a lot of ppl who would travel to both events if there was more time between them
yea i'd want the colorado event as kinda the first big event after most schools are out, kinda a kick off the summer event

i'd like to try to make it out to the east for enats or a big regional this year
Jerry H

Image Image

imrahil327
Tournament Advocate

Post by imrahil327 »

The Smoking Gungan wrote:even ignoring states and regionals, you still have two national events, up to three major cons (origins, comicon, gencon), and worlds all trying to squeeze into a ten week period (beginning of june to middle of August). so there could literally be a major swccg event every other weekend during that period. no idea whether that's a good or a bad thing, but it definitely means that the 'we can't run an event this weekend because it's too close to another event' argument will be hard to justify. (and then when you consider that some local tds are going to procrastinate and wait 'til summer to run stuff regardless, it gets to be an even bigger headache.)
More likely 2 major cons- nothing SW related goes on at GenCon most of the time. Still, I see your point- but it isn't just "major events" crossing over that I am worried about in that situation; that has always happened to some degree. It is specifically WORLDS that I do not want to compete with. If Comic-Con was running up against East Nationals or something, I wouldn't have used it as a rationale, but Worlds is something we shouldn't mess around with, IMO.

i have no objections to that scheduling, but i want to point out that yavin 4 is usually held in the second half of may, so ppl may have to choose between that and the colorado event. i don't think there are a lot of ppl who would travel to both events if there was more time between them
As I said to Brad, there seems to be precious little crossover (you, TSG, being one of few exceptions) in East and West events anyway, so I dunno if that needs to be a consideration.

Sydney_Bristow
DS Region: Ralltiir
DS Region: Ralltiir

Post by Sydney_Bristow »

Brad Eier wrote:idk, what was attendance like for west nats last year? i know it had been down, to the point where before someone complained, we had planned to go to 1 nationals last year

Well, isn't the tournament prolly called "Worlds" the real US Nationals, i mean how many non-US-based players were there the last two years ? :agrue:

darkjediknight11
Communications Advocate
GEMP Username: djk11

Post by darkjediknight11 »

there were probably some canadians.

imrahil327
Tournament Advocate

Post by imrahil327 »

There were several non-Americans this year. Your point is understood, Sydney, but both of our Nationals events outdrew an event that was billed as the "big event" for all of Europe, and that event even had 2 Americans at it.

mr007agent

Post by mr007agent »

Sydney_Bristow wrote:Well, isn't the tournament prolly called "Worlds" the real US Nationals, i mean how many non-US-based players were there the last two years ? :agrue:
USA had nothing to do with that, that is solely the decision of non-USA players. The same way it is for the World Series of Poker. If you don't show you don't play but it is still going to be called Worlds.
Michael Richards
Rogue 84
PC Volunteer
Shadow 43 - Dantooine Flight Leader
http://omega.uta.edu/~mhr7680/dantooineswccg.html
-007-
ImageImage

The Franchise

Post by The Franchise »

i would be willing to organize an origins event, however i cannot at this time commit to being the TD

Ant
Enhanced Product
Enhanced Product

Post by Ant »

Brad Eier wrote:i would be willing to organize an origins event, however i cannot at this time commit to being the TD
what is an Origins event?
The Smoking Gungan wrote:Kirk: What does God need with a starship?

idk prolly the same reason he needed them in the Book of Ezekiel jerk.
http://hubpages.com/u/1032455.jpg
I tried stunning leader on my wife, but her ability was too low, and she was not amused. I think maybe she is more of a creature then a character, will write back with further details.

imrahil327
Tournament Advocate

Post by imrahil327 »

An event at Origins, a gaming convention in Columbus, OH.

Shadow 13
GEMP Username: shadow13

Post by Shadow 13 »

imrahil327 wrote:There were several non-Americans this year. Your point is understood, Sydney, but both of our Nationals events outdrew an event that was billed as the "big event" for all of Europe, and that event even had 2 Americans at it.
sick burn
ryan french
rebel strike team founder
two-time washington state champion
rhendon wrote:why not just elect a puppy as president, or mikefrench.

Return to “2010 Worlds - Philadelphia, PA - August 12-15, 2010”