Worlds Questions...

marines28
GEMP Username: marines28

Worlds Questions...

Post by marines28 »

What does the Sonn v start mean? And why is this deck popular? I have been out of the game for a while, and just want to know what the curret terms mean. Is the Sonn v named after a player or some sort of acronym used to describe a deck?

In addition, does anyone know if Brian Hunter attended this year's events?

Thanks,
Brian

Steviegets112 wrote:The same 5 people are going to win consistently and there really isn't much any of you can do about it.
3MW0J8 wrote:
xblack: from now on it will be
xblack: gl/hf/nr
better damn believe it.
DTartagOne wrote: Yeah I agree with @marines28

jimli
Booster Box
Booster Box

Re: Worlds Questions...

Post by jimli »

marines28 wrote:What does the Sonn v start mean? And why is this deck popular? I have been out of the game for a while, and just want to know what the curret terms mean. Is the Sonn v named after a player or some sort of acronym used to describe a deck?

In addition, does anyone know if Brian Hunter attended this year's events?

Thanks,
Brian
Sonn(v) refers to the card It Is The Future You See, http://www.starwarsccg.org/gallery/inde ... tureyousee

It's called Sonn(v) because the designer's name is Chuck Sonn...enberg? (not quite sure on the ending)

It's popular because it lets LS go first using a variety of starting locations and objectives.

And no, Brian Hunter did not attend worlds this year.

puck71
GEMP Username: puck71

Post by puck71 »

and it wasnt all that popular this year. A couple people did well with it but i think it has some bad matchups.
John Anderson
Proofing, Tournament Committee, GEMP Team

marines28
GEMP Username: marines28

Post by marines28 »

Thanks, I appreciate it.

Is there a sample decklist available for Sonn (v) just to get a rough idea of it's capabilities?

Thanks,
Brian
Steviegets112 wrote:The same 5 people are going to win consistently and there really isn't much any of you can do about it.
3MW0J8 wrote:
xblack: from now on it will be
xblack: gl/hf/nr
better damn believe it.
DTartagOne wrote: Yeah I agree with @marines28

JarJarDrinks

Post by JarJarDrinks »

marines28 wrote:Thanks, I appreciate it.

Is there a sample decklist available for Sonn (v) just to get a rough idea of it's capabilities?

Thanks,
Brian
http://www.swccgpc.com/forums/viewtopic ... 62715e442e
dx_37 wrote:
October 2nd, 2019, 12:12 pm
I would be all for a reset if I get to be on the reset team
"Faith means making a virtue out of not thinking."
- Bill Maher

"How you play the game is important. But for me, it's about if you win or lose."
- Derek Jeter

MasterJediAdam
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold

Post by MasterJediAdam »

JarJarDrinks wrote:
marines28 wrote:Thanks, I appreciate it.

Thanks,
Brian
http://www.swccgpc.com/forums/viewtopic ... 62715e442e
What is funny is that many Sonn(V) decks look strikingly similar to this deck. One thing that is for certain about this style of deck is that the early pressure it provides causes some decks (and many new players) some real trouble.
ImageImage

Meto
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold

Post by Meto »

Of course they look like that. That would be THE Sonn v deck.
"I was blackout drunk and shot Hunter."

MasterJediAdam
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold

Post by MasterJediAdam »

This is true, it is THE Sonn(v) deck that got played at Worlds this year. But the Sonn(v) deck can be a training deck (and was one earlier when Strong is Vader was too strong), can be a Tatooine/Luke(V)/Skyhopper deck when IWYT(v) was different, and a similar version that used Rebel Fleet(v) before it was blanked. I have also seen successful versions of this deck based around Toshe Station and Wookies. I was merely pointing out that most Sonn(v) starts rely on immunity mains and a semi-standard space package.
ImageImage

Karrdeshark
World Champion
World Champion

Post by Karrdeshark »

MasterJediAdam wrote:This is true, it is THE Sonn(v) deck that got played at Worlds this year. But the Sonn(v) deck can be a training deck (and was one earlier when Strong is Vader was too strong), can be a Tatooine/Luke(V)/Skyhopper deck when IWYT(v) was different, and a similar version that used Rebel Fleet(v) before it was blanked. I have also seen successful versions of this deck based around Toshe Station and Wookies. I was merely pointing out that most Sonn(v) starts rely on immunity mains and a semi-standard space package.
There are other decks that start Sonn v, but there can only be one THE Sonn v deck. And as Kyle has made the World Finals with it TWICE (using the two versions of the same concept), I think that he gets to decide which one that is :P

MasterJediAdam
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold

Post by MasterJediAdam »

Well, one can't much disagree with that, now can I? 8>
ImageImage

CategoryOneGames.com
GEMP Username: Categoryon

Post by CategoryOneGames.com »

The Canadians were playing a Sonn V start with the Kashyyyk sites. Kim was playing it with the forest that doesn't give DS an icon there and playing Luke Scout there for -2 and so forth and then Phil was playing it with the system to then pull this site. They were cool/interesting decks.

DarkBro
DS Region: Kiffex
DS Region: Kiffex

Post by DarkBro »

CategoryOneGames.com wrote:The Canadians were playing a Sonn V start with the Kashyyyk sites. Kim was playing it with the forest that doesn't give DS an icon there and playing Luke Scout there for -2 and so forth and then Phil was playing it with the system to then pull this site. They were cool/interesting decks.
Thanks for the shoutout Steve, but my name's Paul... ;)
Image Image
Member of TBO and Team Image

Return to “2010 Worlds - Philadelphia, PA - August 12-15, 2010”