Re: 2011 Worlds Schedule

Post by puck71 »

Also, is there Craps in DC??

John Anderson
Proofing, Tournament Committee, GEMP Team

El Jefe

Post by El Jefe »

puck71 wrote:Also, is there Craps in DC??
No, not in DC proper, not legal anyway.

Any my question, why isn't the day 1 tournament open to all players and just pass down to those who don't have byes? I was hoping to play in that event if I make it out to worlds.

imrahil327
Tournament Advocate

Post by imrahil327 »

gdearing wrote:Any my question, why isn't the day 1 tournament open to all players and just pass down to those who don't have byes? I was hoping to play in that event if I make it out to worlds.
The Day 1 'standard' tournament has never been open to non-bye holders. There are plenty of other events that day, between the Worlds 98 tournaments and the team tournament. Since we award byes to the top 50%, instead of x byes, it is preferable to limit it to people who need those byes. Further, if you already have a bye and you knock someone who doesn't out of contention, that feels a bit...off.
Hunter wrote:Sebulba's W-L record is like...Always and 1. Tebow's is nowhere near that percentage.
allstarz97, about M:TG wrote:I feel like Michael Jordan playing baseball.

El Jefe

Post by El Jefe »

imrahil327 wrote:
gdearing wrote:Any my question, why isn't the day 1 tournament open to all players and just pass down to those who don't have byes? I was hoping to play in that event if I make it out to worlds.
The Day 1 'standard' tournament has never been open to non-bye holders. There are plenty of other events that day, between the Worlds 98 tournaments and the team tournament. Since we award byes to the top 50%, instead of x byes, it is preferable to limit it to people who need those byes. Further, if you already have a bye and you knock someone who doesn't out of contention, that feels a bit...off.
Is there a way to pass on a bye if I want to play in that event then?

imrahil327
Tournament Advocate

Post by imrahil327 »

Yes, you can always choose to pass a bye. Otherwise many people not planning on going to worlds would have them.
Hunter wrote:Sebulba's W-L record is like...Always and 1. Tebow's is nowhere near that percentage.

imrahil327
Tournament Advocate

Post by imrahil327 »

mr007agent wrote:What is the policy for tardiness?
I am not ignoring your question; I just don't have a ready answer. I will make sure the policy is known far in advance of Worlds.

darkjediknight11
Communications Advocate
GEMP Username: djk11

Post by darkjediknight11 »

when do you think the "other prizes" for these events might be established?

The Smoking Gungan
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold

Post by The Smoking Gungan »

Fanny packs

imrahil327
Tournament Advocate

Post by imrahil327 »

darkjediknight11 wrote:when do you think the "other prizes" for these events might be established?
Probably when we get there and see what we have. If you are asking about the $$ prizes, they won't be LESS than last year.

darkjediknight11
Communications Advocate
GEMP Username: djk11

Post by darkjediknight11 »

imrahil327 wrote:
darkjediknight11 wrote:when do you think the "other prizes" for these events might be established?
Probably when we get there and see what we have. If you are asking about the $$ prizes, they won't be LESS than last year.
for the side events too?

e.g., the classic event had $300/$150 in prizes for 1st/2nd...there won't be less than that?

just clarifying

thanks

imrahil327
Tournament Advocate

Post by imrahil327 »

Correct.

Walsetmd
LS Region: Bespin

Post by Walsetmd »

imrahil327 wrote: Probably when we get there and see what we have. If you are asking about the $$ prizes, they won't be LESS than last year.
Just wondering, do you happen to remember what the cash prizes were for last year? And are you saying there's a chance it could even be more?

Thanks.
Walseth Top 8 (2015)
RMS FTW MN FTW Bespin FTW

imrahil327
Tournament Advocate

Post by imrahil327 »

This thread has last year's payouts. It's certainly possible that it will be higher, though likely not substantially so, I'd think. I haven't looked at the budget with Scott yet.

Walsetmd

Post by Walsetmd »

Thanks for linking last years payouts.

I noticed last year they gave $100 to First Place and $50 to Second Place of Day 1 Worlds and was wondering if that was the plan again? I can see the up swing of this being to attract more people to play in Day 1. But in my opinion should the someone who wins Day 1, where all the Champions don't play (cause they have a bye), get more money then someone who finishes 9th or 10th in Day 2? Just for me in terms of difficulty or reward it seems unbalanced. Or better yet redistribute the $150 across the top 8. But that's just my 2 Cents, feel free to leave it. Might I recommended at the very least, there should be some hard core advertising/plugging the fact that Day 1 does have a cash prize (if that's the case). That way it may attract a better turnout? I'll be very interested to see how many people Day 1 brings in. If I recall when Worlds was in MN there were 16? I can't actually remember but that's my guess. Anyway I digress..
Walseth Top 8 (2015)

Walsetmd

Post by Walsetmd »

Hey guys -

Was looking at flights and trying to plan accordingly. If Day 3 starts at 10:00 AM what time are we thinking about it ending for a return flight home...

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but does this logic make sense?

10:00 AM Start...
8 players...
Game 1 - 11:30
Game 2 - 1:00
4 Players
Game 3 - 2:30
Game 4 - 4:00
2 Players
Game 6 - 5:30
Game 7 - 7:00
WINNER!
7:30 - 8:00 Finish time?

I should just book a return flight for Monday shouldn't I... *crap*
Walseth Top 8 (2015)

puck71
GEMP Username: puck71

Post by puck71 »

I think it's better to leave on Monday if that's possible.
John Anderson
Proofing, Tournament Committee, GEMP Team

spideyguy0

Post by spideyguy0 »

Realistically, it prob ends sometime between 8 and 9PM. I remember a couple years ago SoCal missed their flight cause Kevin was busy winning Worlds.
Casey A. - New York, NY
Image Image

gogolen
LS Region: Coruscant
LS Region: Coruscant
Holotable username: gogolen
GEMP Username: gogolen

Post by gogolen »

Walsetmd wrote:Hey guys -

Was looking at flights and trying to plan accordingly. If Day 3 starts at 10:00 AM what time are we thinking about it ending for a return flight home...

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but does this logic make sense?

10:00 AM Start...
8 players...
Game 1 - 11:30
Game 2 - 1:00
4 Players
Game 3 - 2:30
Game 4 - 4:00
2 Players
Game 6 - 5:30
Game 7 - 7:00
WINNER!
7:30 - 8:00 Finish time?

I should just book a return flight for Monday shouldn't I... *crap*
Book a Monday flight. It will start a little later than expected with deck checks before the games begin, and at least one early game will go to time and push the other ones back. Plus if you make it to the end, are you going to want to win and then bolt out of the hotel and travel to the airport and then try and rush through security to catch a 9pm flight?

PC Store Manager
Kevbozzz wrote:I agree 100% with Gogolen's responses.
Now streaming games on Youtube & Twitch- please subscribe to my channels- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjqwgj ... Xu5T9vp4AQ
Twitch- https://www.twitch.tv/gogolen

NEW & RETURNING PLAYER ARTICLES- https://forum.starwarsccg.org/viewt ... 32&t=50486

The Smoking Gungan
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold

Post by The Smoking Gungan »

if you just wanted to shake hands with the winner and then head off to the airport, you'd be fine with an 8pm flight. a 7pm flight might work too, but it depends how long the games in round 2 and 3 take to play out (i.e. is kevbozzz involved). like everyone is saying though, it's much better to stay and hang out sunday night and leave monday

Umpass
Starter
Starter

Post by Umpass »

Do the byes in the two qualifiers that take place before day 1 starts (the cube and the 1998 event) pass down to the highest ranked player that needs them. For instance, if I place 5th in the cube qualifier and 1st through 4th already have byes, would I get the bye?

Return to “2011 World Championships - Washington D.C. - August 11-14”