400 New Jersey Ave NW
Washington, DC 20001
deck
DS Region: Kashyyyk
DS Region: Kashyyyk
GEMP Username: Profundity

Round 1 Feature Match: Menzel LS vs. Chu DS

Post by deck »

This top post will be updated with game information.

Other big matchups this round:
(LS player listed first)

Brian Herold vs. Justin Desai
Bill Kaver vs. Matt Sokol
Mike Kessling vs. Matthew Trainor
Chris Schoenthal vs. TheAdvocate (ADVOCATE MATCHUP)
Jan Westergard vs. Mike Richards
Kevin Shannon vs. Aaron Kingery

Round 1 Feature Match European Champion Chris Menzel playing light vs. two Time World Champion Jhnny Chu playing dark.

Jonny Chu starts Kessel with Combat Readiness V for the administrator’s office. His three effects are Endor Shield, A Sith’s plans, I’ll take them Myself.
I had the opportunity to play Chu’s list last night in the team tournament so should be able to provide some cool insight into the matchup.
Chris Menzel is dropping down Mind What You Have Learned objective. He’s using It is the future you see v to start Battle Plan/Draw Their Fire, Do or Do Not/There is no Try and Thrown Back v.

Drawing 8!
Chris goes first, using his first action to pull his Chasm shield which pulls his grabber shield. Chu pull his grabber shield as well.
Chris activates four and pulls Yoda’s hut with Dagobah, followed up with Yoda from his hand and Daughter of Skywalker V , Yoda’s hope, reflection V, the awy of things and Luke’s backpack all from deck.
He then lays the home one war room from hand and plays Jedi Test I from outside of his deck.

Jonny starts his turn pulling Spice Mine Operations and General Veers.
He activates 7 and plays The Victory and Admiral Ozzel to Kessel for 5. He uses his Mission card to play the kessel battleground facility, then mines, hitting, and stacking clash of sabers.
He then uses his final 2 force for A sith’s plans to deploy endor as a twix (because of Endor Shield) and then passes the turn.

Chris is now activating 11, quite the jump from 4 last turn.
In a stunning reveal, Chris completed test 1 drawing a very techy destiny 6 card that really kills walkers—Chris is not happy to have revealed that card vs Jonny’s big blue deck..

Chris then pulls the Jungle and puts jedi test 2 on it. Chu moves the test to Yoda’s hut at the beginning of the move phase, and Chris draws a bunch, well into monnok range (though he puts one back with Thrown Back v). he passes the turn saving one.

Chu activates one and pulls monnok with Masterful Move. Chris puts another card down with Thrown Back and gets stripped of almost half his hand (he was at 15 cards). Chris posthumously grabs the monnok with a tragedy has occurred.

Chu activates his mission, deploying a non-character card with Kessel in the title, but more is searching through his deck to see what might be in his force pile. He pulls the spice mine holocam and mines but misses. He then uses 2 force for A sith’s plans to pull another 2/1 system then draws. He drew a cold feet, pulling code clearance to make his imperials have bulky forfeit and keeps drawing into grimtaash range himself.

Chris has the grimtaash! Sending Chu back into the stone age of hand development and likely pulling some key cards from his hand. From my point of view there are several blue cards that were pulled.

Chris completes test 2 and tanks for a minute before playing test 3 on the Jungle and pulling Admiral Ackbar V with rebel leadership. Chris simply moves to the jungle with Yoda and DOS automatically completing test 3 via The Way of Things. Chris draws a bunch and passes the turn.

Chu pays 3 to drain for 1 and Menzel curiously uses Atrocity on it. Chu then mines, stacking Artoo in Red 5. Chris debates on whether or not to put it in his used pile (which would allow Chu to upload or retrieve any one card into his hand). Since he can do it at any time, he passes and Chu draws up into another big hand and then passes the turn.
Menzel has a lot of force active, and his force pile looks as big as his reserve deck. He goes into the think-tank, flipping through his hand. He then plays the Bog Clearing from hand, putting Yoda’s hut in between it and the jungle, then plays test 4 on the clearing then moves his training academy over. Chris then draws a couple, still leaving a ton of force (foreshadowing a Home One), and passes.

Chu activates, stacks his own combat readiness from his lost pile on his mission, then mines for spice, stealing an interesting character from Menzel. Chu then plays Piett and the Thunderflare to kessel (though Piett is on the Victory with Ozzel). Chu curiously went to his deploy phase rather than putting combat readiness into his used pile, but with no threat of damage there isn’t a lot of pressure on him. Chu may decide to use that card later on to draw two cards from his reserve deck. Chu then draws. And in his draw step, Menzel loses a force to place Artoo in Red 5 into his used pile, allowing Chu to upload any card from his deck. Chu then pulls coward to stop Reflection V’s retrieval and passes.
Chris activates all but 5 cards and completes test four. Clearly Menzel took back his Artoo in Red 5 so that he could use it to stack on test 5. Chris then Tunnel Visions and uses test 4 to take any card into his hand from his very small reserve deck.

Now, some action. Chris pays 12 for Home One and another few for Ackbar V, leaving him with just three force active and two in his reserve deck. He then plays Captain Verrack V to the home One. Chris uses Jedi Levitation to take any card from used pile into hand, then uses his last force to battle, drawing a 7 and a 6 for destiny. Chu draws a 0 for destiny thanks to test 2 and Captain Verrack making his draws -3. He has to lose Piett and the Thunderflare to soak up all of the damage.

Chris passes the turn leaving Chu in a tough spot. With access to any card in his deck, he can answer almost anything Chu throws at him.

Chu puts Veers V on blizzard one with The Spice Mine administrator at the battleground. Chu turns things around at least for a few turns with a Lateral Damage + Overwhelmed to send the fish used.

Chu then stacks the Lateral Damage on his objective for 2 force so he can try and play the combo again later. Chu misses on his spice, draws and passes the turn saving zero force.

With less than 30 minutes in the round, neither player is very close to ending the game, though Chu is now in a position to do some damage while Chris has to use Test 4 to try and get his space fleet back.

Chris drops Ackbar V back down to the home one war room and uses him to deploy the Home One to Kessel. Chris battles, not realizing that he can’t draw destiny, but with Chus low destiny draw, Chu still has to topdeck a force to power damage. Chris moves Ackbar to the bridge and passes.

Chu activates and drains for one on the ground. Chu takes lateral damage into hand and stacks overwhelmed on his mission, mines and hits another super techy European card that can be a complete blowout. Chu has a SECOND overwhelmed and delays Menzel’s space fleet another turn! Chu then drops the Chimara to kessel (at this point, I don’t understand why Chu is not moving to Endor to try and get some more damage in), but he just passes the turn leaving 1 in his force pile.

Menzel just activates a few and turns his apprentice upside-down. Instead of using test 4, he pays 6 to drop han chewie and the falcon V, adding, “Lateral Damage my ass!” He follows it up with Bravo Fighter V. Chris battles, shooting and HITTING the Chimera with Bravo Fighter drawing a tracked 7. Chris draws another 7 for battle destiny and Chu is forced lose the Thunderflare despite winning the battle 19 to 18. Chris forfeits the Bravo fighter.

Chu puts fallen Jedi into Chris’ lost pile to draw 2 from his reserve deck and gives us a “worthless.”
Then he activates, drains on the ground and makes Chris lose 1 to We’re in Attack position now. Then he uses 2 to stack the Chimera on his mission and spices, stealing an Obi Wan Kenobi.

Chu then uses the Administrator to take the Chimera into hand, drops it and battles the HCF which can’t draw destiny due to Kessel’s game text. Chu draws a 4 (reduced by test 4) putting 19 power to Chris’ 8 which leads to Menzel losing his ship and topdecking 5. Chu is now getting some damage done, but with 15 minutes left it’s going to be hard to finish him out. Chu draws and passes the force.

Chris is down to 18 life force and activates 13 leaving 5 in his Reserve Deck. Chris forgoes a control phase and pays 7 to drop Mace Windu to the Extraction Facility in front of Veers and his Walker. Chris searches for a Dagobah site revealing the following destiny: 6/5/3/3/2.

Chris goes into the tank, repeatedly looking at his three card hand, trying to decide what to do. He battles for free and draws a 6. Chu draws a 4/4 (3/3) and is 15 power to Chris’ 12. Chris loses 4 off the top while Chu is forced to lose veers. Most importantly, Chris draws leaving just 2 force in his force pile, meaning that Chu can now take Veers back into hand via the spice mission but Chris cannot place him out of play before Chu uses the administrator.

Chu then completes this action, redropping Veers and then putting Thrawn on the chimera and moving it to Endor. With a 7 now stacked on test 5, Chu chose not to battle, simply passing the turn.

Chris activates and uses 4 force to put Ackbar at the home 1 war room then battling , drawing his 7 while Chu drew 5 after reductions, leaving powers 15 to 13, and Chris losing 2 from his used pile. At this point Chu is assuming Chris doesn’t know the interaction with the administrator, but Chris elected to leave 5 force in his force pile, suggesting that he actually might.

Chu drains for 2 and 1 leaving him with just a few cards left. Chu completes the Veers interaction without Chris placing him out of play, then backs up Veers with Blizzard 4 V then passes the turn without battling.
Less than 5 minutes now

Chris goes to drop a ship to Endor but doesn’t have enough force because of +1 to endor (chu blew me out with this same problem at Coruscant regionals 2002!). So instead, Menzel deploys Home One to Kashyyk, putting Ackbar on the bridge and passing the turn.

Chu drains for 3 and then drops vader and the Emperor’s reach to bulk his power in front of Mace Windu, after battling and destiny Chu is 32 power and Chris extends his hand in defeat.
Last edited by deck on August 13th, 2011, 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mike "Deck" Gemme

I am now streaming SW:CCG Regularly! https://www.twitch.tv/deck104

My SW:CCG Podcast & Blog http://www.showmeyourdeck.tech - Updated 01/17/2017

BrenDerlin

Re: Round 1 Feature Match: Menzel LS vs. Chu DS

Post by BrenDerlin »

I can't tell you how much I'm loving this.
WUBBA LUBBA DUB DUB!
Brad Eier wrote:i have no idea who matt thorton is, possibly the son of billy bob?

patmagroin
DS Region: Kiffex
DS Region: Kiffex

Post by patmagroin »

Wow, that was absolutely amazing to read, thank you so much for that. So awesome. I'm surprised spice got the call for day 2, but it seems like it's doing well so far. That mwyhl deck is pretty cool too, really cool match-up!

SWCCGPT
Starter
Starter

Post by SWCCGPT »

Great coverage!

Thanks a lot and keep it coming!

rax
Enhanced Product
Enhanced Product

Post by rax »

excellent coverage! too bad chris, gotta get back on the horse :)

Kristian "rax" Lund aka Smukke Kristian - Member of Team Copenhagen
"Team Copenhagen Never Dies! They Just Go To The Bar And Respawn!"

Shadow 14
Retired Advocate

Post by Shadow 14 »

Just back this morning. My plane landed at 11:00 am. It's cool to be featured and to read the game in detail.
Thanks again, Gemme, for posting this, and Johnny for the great game (as always :-D ).

And also thanks for not revealing any surprise cards from my deck to early, Mike.
The first revealed card was Under Attack.
The first stacked "interesting character" was Fallen Jedi (if memory is correct).
The second stacked interesting card was Collision, which I was searching like no tomorrow, but couldn't get.
Chris (Euro Emperor) Menzel
Hannover - Germany

Image Image

Advocate
Advocate
GEMP Username: advocate

Post by Advocate »

Why?
BrenDerlin wrote:I can't tell you how much I'm loving this.
@swccg - Twitter
@swccg - Instagram
swccgpc - Twitch

BrenDerlin

Post by BrenDerlin »

Advocate wrote:Why?
BrenDerlin wrote:I can't tell you how much I'm loving this.
I was just commenting on the awesome coverage.
WUBBA LUBBA DUB DUB!
Brad Eier wrote:i have no idea who matt thorton is, possibly the son of billy bob?

FlorisV

Post by FlorisV »

This mining stuff seems pretty scary. It provides a way to retrieve as well as direct damage without having to occupy any battleground.

A reason for not moving to Endor system would be an increased chance to mine a card.
http://www.mymero.com

Ryloth Region
ImageImage

DDM

Post by DDM »

FlorisV wrote:A reason for not moving to Endor system would be an increased chance to mine a card.
And also the kessel's text, which is good in space battles.
SirYoda wrote:I suggest we ban all creatures.
Or better yet, just ban DDM from playing creatures.

Maulerr_NL

Post by Maulerr_NL »

I was very curious if Spice Mining and MWYHL got to see any play ... Well I guess my question has been answered.

#gottaloveMWYHL

DDM

Post by DDM »

Imho, MHWYL has a bad match-up vs. Spice. Chris did some mistakes in that game (it seems) but he still played well and put up a decent fight! :) .
Vs Spice, however, you can't grab Monnok. You have to grab the most annoying interrupt for your space fleet, due to recurring stuff.
And Spice will know what to abuse once he knows what kind of MWHYL you're playing.
SirYoda wrote:I suggest we ban all creatures.
Or better yet, just ban DDM from playing creatures.

Shadow 14
Retired Advocate

Post by Shadow 14 »

Yeah, my biggest mistake was not putting overwhelmed and other spice cards out of play.
Also, should have deployed a Jedi on the Home One, but you can only deploy so many Home Ones (2-3 per game) and do that. ;)

I did not expect a second Overwhelmed either.

With this specific MWYHL we needed to grab the Monnok though to keep that 18 card hand in tact, so it was a difficult choice.

And it was Master Chu of course...
Last edited by Shadow 14 on August 22nd, 2011, 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chris (Euro Emperor) Menzel
Hannover - Germany

Image Image

Maulerr_NL

Post by Maulerr_NL »

Shadow 14 wrote:Yeah, my biggest mistake was not putting overwhelmed and other spice cards out of play.
Also, should have deployed a Jedi on the Home One, but you can only deploy so many Home Ones (2-3 per game) and do that. ;)

I did not a second Overwhelmed either.

With this specific MWYHL we needed to grab the Monnok though to keep that 18 card hand in tact, so it was a difficult choice.

And it was Master Chu of course...
Then again, Spice is relatively new to the scene. Putting stuff OOP is key at some point. Better 'luck' next time ;)

The Smoking Gungan
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold

Post by The Smoking Gungan »

FlorisV wrote:This mining stuff seems pretty scary. It provides a way to retrieve as well as direct damage without having to occupy any battleground.
this is what i dislike about spice as well. without occupying a bg, on each of your turns you get to:

-pay 3 to retrieve a card without it actually being retrieval
-cause the LS 1 force loss (granted this requires luck until you actually start occupying locations in which case it becomes almost given)
-lose a spice card to reduce force loss against you by 1

spice has oftentimes been compared to farming, but farming requires to LS to occupy a bg with weenie characters in order to potentially get 1 retrieval that's not retrieval each turn.

spice should really require ds to occupy a bg

Return to “2011 World Championships - Washington D.C. - August 11-14”