DS Region: Kashyyyk
GEMP Username: Profundity

Round 3 Feature Match: Reid Smith LS vs. Jonny Chu DS

Post by deck »

Other notable matchups this round:

Greg Shaw vs. The Advocate REMATCH
Taco Bill vs. Mike Richards

Round 3 Feature Match: Reid Smith LS vs. Jonny Chu DS

We already covered Chu earlier with this deck but this matchup is too good to pass up.

Chu is starting Kessel with the administrators office via combat readiness v and starting A sith’s plans, endor shield and I will take them myself.

Reid is playing Communing with Tatooine Slave quarters and Wokling V, maneuvering flaps/nick of time and Master Kenobi stacked on Communing. I’ve got no experience with Communing but I’m gonna do my best to give you the coverages.

Chu starts the game going for his mission while Reid yoinks his professor shield to prevent any freebee deploying. Chu pulls a grabber shield before activating 5, playing his mission and getting things moving. Chu deploys the holocam on the administrator office and mines, missing. Seems like Chu also missed on pulling is second site. He then uses 2 force to play Endor with A sith’s plans, draws all of his force pile and passes.

Reid leads with strikeforce then searches for Obi Wan’s Hut V with Master Kenobi and uses the Hut to pull Rebel Gunrunner which in turn pulls the Dual Laser Cannon V. He then drops threepio, eliciting a fanfare shield from chu. After one threepio activation, Chu pulls Protocol Failure, which leads to an Aim High from Reid. Chu plays protocol failure on the droid, which Reid immediately sends to lost pile, allowing Chu to upload any card. He takes Opertional As Planned v to take protocol failure back and replay it on threepio. REID SENDS IT TO THE LOST PILE AGAIN! Allowing Chu to take another card, but this one remains a mystery. After all that, Reid draws a few, saving one and passes the turn.

Chu is still only generating 7. He plays lightsaber deficiency V to take Protocol Failure back into hand, replays it and again, Reid sends it immediately lost giving a free pull to Chu. Chu then uses 2 to deploy Kashyyyk , followed by a mining miss. Chu simply saves 4 force, drawing none and ships the turn.

Reid’s activating 9 at the moment and plays flash of insight despite not having a lost pile. After a threepio activation, Flash reveals a land on top which Reid searches for that site, deploying the City Outskirts. He then lays Launching the Assault down on Kessel and takes the Home One into hand. Reid then plays Rebel Leadership for the Home One War Room , which Chu grabs. Reid then plays the Tatooine system (episode I version) and draws up to 9 cards in hand. Chu plays operational as planned to take code clearance into hand. Reid continues to draw going up to 10 and saving 7.

Chu is activating 11 and still hasn’t deployed the Kessel Mining site; at this point I’m imagining he’s holding back in fear of the maneuvering flaps on table. Either that or the plethora of battlegrounds to go to on Tatooine. Chu drops code clearance followed by Chimera, We’re in Attack Position now and Grand Admiral Thrawn. Chu enters his draw phase and Reid pays 2 to stack another Rebel Leadership, this time pulling Admiral Ackbar V.

At the beginning of his turn, Reid uses It’s Not My Fault to pull Flash of Insight V into hand and starts activating, giving him 17 to work with. Reid plays Flash revealing Yub Yub Commander and takes it into hand flipping over a low destiny vehicle.
Reid then plays Admiral Ackbar to the bridge who promptly gets barriered. Reid backs him up with Lando Calrissian, Scoundrel. Reid goes through some searches trying to find a good card to threepio and after a few opportunities for Chu to verify his deck, via City Outskirts, Master Kenobi and Obi Wan’s Hut, he settles on a 1 destiny interrupt and leaves it. Reid has no lost pile to retrieve with flash and simply starts drawing before granting the force to Chu.

Chu’s first action is again mining and this time he hits, stacking the 1 on his mission card. Chu activates and plays Force Push V to increase his generation and tunnel vision at the same time. Chu moves to the control phase and offers Reid the opportunity to pull his Battle Plan shield, he declines and takes a drain of one. Chu then uses his first Endor Shield pull and takes Chiraneau and plays him on the Chimera, and when he starts drawing, Reid comments that he’s happy that his Ackbar/Lando squad on the homeone survived any spy beatings that Chu could’ve laid on him, having sculpted his hands for many turns.

Reid announces that he’s not activating his full amount before he threepios (I think he might’ve been going for Flash of insight and mistracked? Not sure), then he activated his final two and proceeded with his turn. He plays Echo Base Garrison pulling old skool Derek “Hobbie” Klivian and putting him on Rogue 4 at the outskirts and backing him up with Yoda, Great Warrior. A big turn from Reid now as he drops the home one, Menace Fades and Obi Wan’s Apparition, moves Ackbar and Lando to the bridge of the Home One and passes the turn.

Chu activates and again offers Reid the opportunity to play Battle Plan. Reid asks for a force count from Jon who has 13 active, and Reid does in fact pull the Battle plan, maxing out his shields as it joins Aim High, The Professor and Wise Advice.

Chu moves through his control phase finally playing the 2/1 Kessel site. Chu puts Blizzard 4 V there followed by General Veers V, mines and successfully takes Han Chewie and The Falcon V on the spice mission. Reid immediately loses 1 to get it back into his used pile. Chu opts to search his deck for any one card then leaves the force with Reid.

Reid activates and drains for 2 at Kashyyyk, which Chu cancels with I’ll Take Them Myself, and for 1 at the outskirts, leading Chu to pitch the Accuser. Reid goes into the tank with just a five card hand. He replaces Chu’s Admiral Order with Let’s Go Left V. He then flashes Rogue 1 to Pull Commander Luke V to the Kessel site in front of Veers and backs him up with Dash Rendar V. Reid battles and reacts with with Dual Laser Cannon, leading Chu to react with Garindan V aboard the walker! Reid fires and Garindan cancels the draw. Reid draws a 4 and a 2 (he commented that he screwed up all his tracking when he pulled luke). It still forces Reid to forfeit Luke (Chu drew a 6 total) while Chu lost Veers. Reid moves his space fleet to Tatooine then shuttles Yoda up.

One important thing to note about this turn is that Chu forgot Thrawn’s game text, which would have allowed him to keep his Admiral Order in his hand rather than putting it in his used pile.

Chu takes the turn and drains for one in space. He then stacks his Veers on the spice card, which Reid promptly places out of play. Chu Mines and hits, but his ground package is severely depleted at the moment, and Dash in Rogue 1 may still be too formidable for Blizzard 4 and any random imperial Chu has. Without a clear plan, Chu goes into the tink tank for a few, taking stock of his resources—his hand and his force pile.

Chu goes down with the Spice Administrator and plays him outside of the walker, then 2 more force for black leader piloting the walker. Darth Vader V joins the party outside, and battles. Reid reacts with the Dual Laser cannon and fires at the administrator, hitting him and making him forfeit zero. Reid draws a 4 and Chu draws a 5, Reid is immune but is facing 23 power to 10. Dash and the Rogue forfeit for 11 and Reid is forced to lose 2 from elsewhere. Chu draws, saves one, and passes.

Reid uses garrison to pull Commander Luke V while Chu sends a stacked spice card to the lost pile to draw 2 cards from his reserve deck. Reid drains for 1 and 1 and Chu loses ozzel and pitches a spice card with the holocam to soak up the other force. Reid searches his 3 card deck with Master Kenobi revealing a 4/2/2 one of which is rogue 1, which Reid promptly deploys with his recently pulled luke. Shmi joins the party as a passenger as does Zev on Rogue 2. Reid battles declining to play his cannon. Reid draws 4 and 2 left in his deck and Chu draws his tracked admiral’s order which Shmi makes a 5. Chu forfeits the walker and Reid is completely immune, so he loses nothing and passes.

Chu activates and drains for 2 at Endor. He asks for a power check at the Tatooine system from Reid, which is 14. Anyone who read Chu’s round 1 coverage might be able to figure out what to expect. Chu mines, missing, drops the conquest in front of the Home one, and lateral damages it. Reid immediately cancels it with Antilles Maneuver combo card. Reid jokes about wishing he waited toward battle to cancel the card, but I think Chu’s plan was to Overwhelmed there. Reid adds Admiral Piett onto the Conquest and replaces Reid’s admiral’s order with his own. Chu ends up running away to kessel with the Conquest, draws his entire force pile and passes.

Reid hits for 1 and 1, and uses 3po to get his Antilles Maneuver back. He then drains for 2 at the Kessel site which Chu promptly controls. Reid then drops Tantiv IV and Bright Hope infront of the Thrawn/Chianeau piloted chimera, moves the home one fleet in front of it and passes.

Chu activates and drains for 2 at Kessel, then uses 2 force to stack I’ll Take Them Myself on his mission, and uses another force to send it to the used pile. 5 minute warning is called and it could go for a timed game now. Chu drops U3po to the outskirts and Arica to block the drain of 2 at the Kessel site and moves his fleet to Kashyyyk, away from Reid’s monster fleet. At this point he’s making it obvious that he is going to try and make it a timed game.

Reid activates all but one, searches and reveals a 5 destiny there. He drains for 1 and 1. Reid is playing the direct damage game as well, dropping Padme, pushing through one damage because of Shmi Skywalker!! Reid recycles a 6, moves the home one in front of the conquest (which has Vader and PIett on it), saves 3 force to stop the spice retrieval shenanigans and passes.

Chu activates and drains for 1. He still uses the 2 force to stack a control to see what Reid will do with his three force saved. Chu spices (he forgot last turn) and Reid places the control out of play. Chu does a blank search revealing destiny of 3 and 1. Time gets called in the middle of Chu’s turn. They discuss what would happen in the game if it didn’t get called because of time. At this point it looks like Chu has more cards in his life force than Reid but it’s tough to tell. Reid calls for a count and its 17 to 10 in favor of Chu. Chu plays the Thunderflare in front of Tantiv IV and moves the conquest there, and moves the Chimera with thrawn/chiraneau in front of the Home One.

Reid goes into the tank, trying to see if he can possibly do any damage to chu. He searches with EBG revealing 5/4/2. Padme damage takes Blizzard 1 out of Chu’s hand. Reid places Wokling out of play to retrieve a card, then battles in space with the home one. Chu plays imperial command which yoda immediately cancels. Reid draws his 3 destiny with 26 power. Chu loses the entire system, and Reid moves his fleet over to Endor where all the ships in the game are currently floating in space.

Chu takes the turn and drops Grotto Werribe V to the system for added forfeit value and to block a drain of 2 from Reid on his last turn. Nope, this reporter is wrong as Chu runs away, giving Reid the drain, and drawing a few cards to lose on Reids last turn.

Reid hits for 1 Padme damage and drains for 3 at the Endor system because of Tantiv IV and Launching the Assault, but it’s not enough as Chu wins on differential by about 4-5 force.
Last edited by deck on August 13th, 2011, 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mike "Deck" Gemme

I am now streaming SW:CCG Regularly! https://www.twitch.tv/deck104

My SW:CCG Podcast & Blog http://www.showmeyourdeck.tech - Updated 01/17/2017

rax
Enhanced Product
Enhanced Product

Re: Round 3 Feature Match: Reid Smith LS vs. Jonny Chu DS

Post by rax »

I'm gonna end up sitting up all night reading these things! thx so much, it's great!

Kristian "rax" Lund aka Smukke Kristian - Member of Team Copenhagen
"Team Copenhagen Never Dies! They Just Go To The Bar And Respawn!"

WiseMarsellus

Post by WiseMarsellus »

big guns coming out this round
tom kelly
Image Image Image Image
check out my youtube page for swccg video content, and my twitch for swccg live streams!

rax
Enhanced Product
Enhanced Product

Post by rax »

another great read. im in for no sleep tonight :)

Kristian "rax" Lund aka Smukke Kristian - Member of Team Copenhagen
"Team Copenhagen Never Dies! They Just Go To The Bar And Respawn!"

deck
GEMP Username: Profundity

Post by deck »

rax wrote:another great read. im in for no sleep tonight :)

Take hour long naps.
Mike "Deck" Gemme

I am now streaming SW:CCG Regularly! https://www.twitch.tv/deck104

My SW:CCG Podcast & Blog http://www.showmeyourdeck.tech - Updated 01/17/2017

NoNamium
Starter
Starter

Post by NoNamium »

How can Chu miss using Grand Admiral Thrawn to take "We're in attack position now" into hand, when Admiral Chiraneau (+Home One +Admiral Ackbar) is on the table?

DDM

Post by DDM »

Indeed. Quite a no brainer. :)
SirYoda wrote:I suggest we ban all creatures.
Or better yet, just ban DDM from playing creatures.

imrahil327
Tournament Advocate

Post by imrahil327 »

NoNamium wrote:How can Chu miss using Grand Admiral Thrawn to take "We're in attack position now" into hand, when Admiral Chiraneau (+Home One +Admiral Ackbar) is on the table?
Mike was unaware of the "If" clause in Thrawn's text. Chu was aware, and told him after the game.
Hunter wrote:Sebulba's W-L record is like...Always and 1. Tebow's is nowhere near that percentage.
allstarz97, about M:TG wrote:I feel like Michael Jordan playing baseball.

Return to “2011 World Championships - Washington D.C. - August 11-14”