400 New Jersey Ave NW
Washington, DC 20001
deck
DS Region: Kashyyyk
GEMP Username: Profundity

Round 6 Feaure Match: Taco Bill Kafer LS vs Justin Desai DS

Post by deck »

Instead of the 5-0s of Shannon and Nelson, I decided to cover two people who wouldn't just play the entire game in their head.

Round 6 Feature Match Taco Bill Kafer LS vs. Justin Desai DS

This is an interesting matchup because Justin built both decks. Justin knows what to expect from Kafer so he changed his starting effects. Also, this is the first time that Justin and Bill have every played each other in a tournament, and the jersey boys and the KTOD have long been friends.

Justin is playing Hunt Down V starting Coruscant, imperial city with a sith’s plan, a sith’s weapon, gift of the mentor and ni chuba na (all virtual).

Taco is starting communing with master Kenobi on it. Home one war room is his location and he’s starting quick draw v and rycar ryjerd b.

Hands are drawn and here we go.

Justin starts by activating and pulling blaster rack, and scanning his deck for what might be in his five card force pile (too cheap to deploy anyone to flip his objective. Justin forgoes using a Sith’s plans and instead draws up two cards leaving three in his force pile.

Bill takes the turn and activates four. He starts by pulling Sai’tor Kal Fas qith Quick Draw and Obi Wan’s Hut with Master Kenobi. Justin plays the anti weapon lev shield and a grabber while taco plays chasm and a grabber. Taco just draws up his entire hand (12 cards) leaving no force and passing the turn.

Justin takes the turn and uses force push to trade three cards in his hand for +1 activation and any card in his force pile. Justin drops the 3/2 site and puts Galen down with his lightsaber thanks to Blaster Rack V and Trophy of a Kill out of his hand. Justin then flips his objective, draws saving 1 and passes.

Bill is up to 8 activation now. He uses 2 to deploy threepio and starts digging. Bill uses 4 to play the Tantiv to Coruscant, making it a battleground, saves 2 and passes the turn.

While Justin activates, Bill pulls Aim High and Battle Plan from out of his shields and Justin uses two to take any card into hand without ability, he takes program trap V. Justin’s drain of 3 is nerfed by an atrocity and bill pitches a ship for the other one. Justin simply draws some more, so Bill takes Lightsaber Proficiency into hand with Rycar and then takes the turn.

Justin has two force saved, and after activation bill plays Escape pod to get a dejarik. He then pulls tatooine: mos eisley, where you’ll never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. Down comes Jedi Luke with a lightsaber to the 3/2 site, and when he does not receive a barrier, Luke’s saber, bionic hand and Obi Wan’s Journal join him. Justin sacs his a sith’s plans to cancel the journal, and bill battles anyway. His swing meets a force field, which gets grabbed. Justins swing gets cancelled with Run luke Run, which also gets grabbed. Justin adds a power destiny of 2 and draws a 6 while Bill draws a 7. Amazingly, both Jedi live (Galen Immune <8 and Luke <7). Justin has to peel four off the top though, and after that Bill sends the turn bake with no force saved and just four cards in his hand.

Justin activates and he’s got a good amount of force active. Justin uses the racks to check out his deck and see what’s in there, and bill gets to verify. Down comes DVDLOTS and First strike for Justin. Justin then plays masterful move to take Revenge of the Sith into hand and make his Vader immune <7 now! Justin battles and Galen hits Luke with a lightsaber swing ( a good way to get around big immunity). Luke swings back and hits him as well. Justin adds 2 to his total power and then draws a 5. Bill also draws a five and when the blood clears vader is alone at the site.

Bill activates and digs with threepio to try and find something to do with only four cards in his hand. To give himself time to think, Bill searches with quick draw letting Justin get a verify. Bill has nothing and can only draw a bunch of cards to try and find something to do with. He uses a Wesa got a grand army to pull Boss Nass’ Chambers and passes the turn with 12 in his hand and 1 saved.

Justin activates and pulls vader’s saber with his flipped objective. He deploys it and the Emperor, then plays No Escape to get back his Galen. He draws 1, saving 1, and passes.

Bill activates 12, giving him 13 to play with. He does a blank search to see his reserve deck and it’s nothing but high destiny. I ask Bill what the number is in his deck and he says it’s either 29 or 30. Looking at the deck I wouldn’t be surprised if it were higher than that. (The New Jersey team is the only team outside the KTOD that know what the number is). Taco uses his second rycar search to pull lightsaber proficiency again (Bill also uses the Mike Gemme card rotation for making twice per game pulls). Bill then lays boss nass chambers and puts leia, rebel princess there to stave off justins drains at the 3/2 site. Yoda Great Warrior moseys on down to Mos Eisley and he gets a saber to play with and the proficiency. Bill then plays stone pile to draw two cards from reserve and LTWW to restock his hand with a fresh, new Jedi Luke. He saves three and passes the turn.

Justin activates and has a lot of force active, he searches for blaster racks giving he and bill a peek. Both comment that the destiny in there is pretty good. Justin throws Galen down across from Yoda, redeploys his lightsaber from lost pile and battles, retrieving the emperor he lost to get the lightsaber. He hits drawing 2 sixes. Yoda’s three destiny hit Galen despite a 0. Justin adds a destiny to powerwhich is a six and draws a 2 for battle destiny. Bill draws a 5 for destiny, clearing the site with equal power, but forcing Bill to lose two to his objective damage. Justin moves into his draw step, drawing up to 9, saving 2, and tracking his anti-threepio tech he’s been searching for all game.

Bill takes the turn as the game becomes more stagnant. The only characters on table are Vader and Emperor at the 3/2 site who can’t drain because of Leia Rebel Princess. Bill takes a look at his deck revealing 6 cards destiny 4 or higher except for a cantina, which he promptly deploys using Master Kenobi’s ghost. Jedi Luke goes down there for a drink and perhaps to listen to the modal nodes, but most importantly, to flip justin’s objective back. He gets his lightsaber from lost pile as well. After that bill just draws a few cards saving about five force before leaving Justin with the force.

Justin decides to drain for 3 this time letting bill get back a destiny 4 card to cancel it. Down comes Galen in front of Luke in the Cantina, who gets his saber from lost and a trophy of a kill. Bill has a Run Luke Run V for the swing, but Justin has nothing for luke’s swing and Galen gets cut up. Justin adds a destiny to attrition, two tracked sixes, and the site is completely cleared. Galen is pretty baller. Justin draws leaving one and says go.

Bill activates and tanks. He uses Sai’tor Kal Fas showing a 6 and a 4 in his reserve deck. In a surprise move, EPP Han hits the table at the 3/2 site, perhaps to battle, and take a random pot-shot at vader with a six in Bill’s reserve deck. Justin goes for a force lightning and attempts to play it lost. He misses, Han which strips the emperor’s immunity. Bill battles activating first strike damage/retrieval. Vader swings at han sending him used and causing Bill two damage from his objective. Justin uses cold feet to play his coward shield, and bill starts drawing like a madman to get something to play on his next turn.

Justin takes the turn and Justin uses his objective to pull a non-ability card. Justin drains for 3 at the 3/2 which gets an atrocity and a spaceship from bill. Justin plays 4-lom v to start working through his deck trying to find something interesting to use. He draws a pretty big hand and ships the turn back saving 1.

Surprise Surprise, Bill has another Jedi Luke, puts him at the Cantina and gives him his lightsaber and yet another Bionic hand. Bill draws a few, saves a bunch and says go.

Justin activates a bunch and checks his destiny, 4 sixes, a 1 and a 5. Not bad. Justin takes a stab at the one, using 4-lom and getting it! Not only getting it but giving him a grievous in the process. Down comes Galen, and Justin pitches a 6 destiny card to get his saber back, a card about to be retrieved with first strike. Justin battles, getting his emperor back, swinging at luke with the two sixes and slicing him up. Luke flips over his first lightsaber destiny and it’s a 1, shocking both Justin and Bill who seems to have mistracked. Justin adds 6 to his power with Weapon Levitation V. Justin draws a 6 for power destiny and a 6 for battle destiny, leaving Bill to take one overflow and two more for the objective.

With the missed swing, Galen stays alive and Bill was just left with one Luke left to fight with, Justin with two sites controlled and a Greivous still to deal with. Bill admits defeat and concedes, going to two losses and sending justin to 5-1.

Mike "Deck" Gemme

I am now streaming SW:CCG Regularly! https://www.twitch.tv/deck104

My SW:CCG Podcast & Blog http://www.showmeyourdeck.tech - Updated 01/17/2017

deck

Re: Round 6 Feaure Match: Taco Bill Kafer LS vs Justin Desai

Post by deck »

Updated!

and a pack of Jabba's Palace to the first person to tell me who plays the Omni Box?
Mike "Deck" Gemme

WiseMarsellus

Post by WiseMarsellus »

TECH MOR (for hunt down v and you would do well this tournament)
tom kelly
Image Image Image Image
check out my youtube page for swccg video content, and my twitch for swccg live streams!

cyborg commander
Starter
Starter

Post by cyborg commander »

question

if taco bill was playing communing why didn't jedi lukes stack on communing event?

deck

Post by deck »

It's an optional stack.
Mike "Deck" Gemme

cyborg commander
Starter
Starter

Post by cyborg commander »

o ok

rax
Enhanced Product
Enhanced Product

Post by rax »

Great coverage Mike! Care to elaborate on what "the number" is ? :)

Kristian "rax" Lund aka Smukke Kristian - Member of Team Copenhagen
"Team Copenhagen Never Dies! They Just Go To The Bar And Respawn!"

mr007agent

Post by mr007agent »

rax wrote:Great coverage Mike! Care to elaborate on what "the number" is ? :)
If I had to guess (I played Bill), it is the number of destiny 4 or greater cards in the deck.
Michael Richards
Rogue 84
PC Volunteer
Shadow 43 - Dantooine Flight Leader
http://omega.uta.edu/~mhr7680/dantooineswccg.html
-007-
ImageImage

TacoBill

Post by TacoBill »

If only it was that simple, Michael Richards.
Bill Kafer
Definitely on the Mount Rushmore of SWCCG players to live in Hawaii
Cam Solusar wrote:What TacoBill proposes is ideal IMO.

The Smoking Gungan
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold

Post by The Smoking Gungan »

my understanding of the number, which admittedly comes from secondhand information and could be entirely incorrect, was one of the sources of inspiration for my hdv 4p0 sabacc deck. so it's definitely a powerful concept even if you don't know exactly what it is

SWCCGPT
Starter
Starter

Post by SWCCGPT »

deck wrote:Round 6 Feature Match Taco Bill Kafer LS vs. Justin Desai DS
Justin is playing Hunt Down V starting Coruscant, imperial city with a sith’s plan, a sith’s weapon, gift of the mentor and ni chuba na (all virtual).
I'm must be "missing" something... How Justin starts A Sith's Weapon?

imrahil327
Tournament Advocate

Post by imrahil327 »

SWCCGPT wrote:
Using Prepared Defenses v.
Hunter wrote:Sebulba's W-L record is like...Always and 1. Tebow's is nowhere near that percentage.
allstarz97, about M:TG wrote:I feel like Michael Jordan playing baseball.

SWCCGPT
Starter
Starter

Post by SWCCGPT »

imrahil327 wrote:
SWCCGPT wrote:
Using Prepared Defenses v.
Yes, but he has Prepared Defenses non(v) on his decklist.

Didn't the players, at least those that qualify for Day 3, get their decklists checked?
Last edited by SWCCGPT on August 18th, 2011, 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

imrahil327
Tournament Advocate

Post by imrahil327 »

Yes they did, but since we haven't seen the Day 3 deck lists yet, he might have changed it for day 3.
Hunter wrote:Sebulba's W-L record is like...Always and 1. Tebow's is nowhere near that percentage.

SWCCGPT
Starter
Starter

Post by SWCCGPT »

imrahil327 wrote:Yes they did, but since we haven't seen the Day 3 deck lists yet, he might have changed it for day 3.
I mean, didn't the players that qualified for day 3, get their decklists checked on day 2?

imrahil327
Tournament Advocate

Post by imrahil327 »

I don't know what deck checks were done.

The Smoking Gungan
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold

Post by The Smoking Gungan »

SWCCGPT wrote:
imrahil327 wrote:Yes they did, but since we haven't seen the Day 3 deck lists yet, he might have changed it for day 3.
I mean, didn't the players that qualified for day 3, get their decklists checked on day 2?
*random* deck checks were performed throughout day 2, but they seemed to focus mostly on the players with the best records

mr007agent

Post by mr007agent »

SWCCGPT wrote:
I know I didn't but I only saw one person get theirs checked. I saw Chu forgot to 'x' his Dark Time for the Rebellion and was forced to play with a non-virtual.
Michael Richards
Rogue 84
PC Volunteer
Shadow 43 - Dantooine Flight Leader
http://omega.uta.edu/~mhr7680/dantooineswccg.html
-007-
ImageImage

Kevbozzz
World Champion
World Champion

Post by Kevbozzz »

I got checked twice. For some reason Kim was shocked that they didn't find any errors!

It's really lame that a bunch of people had to put bad cards in their deck because of something so trivial. If a decklist error is so obvious (Dark Time non-v? Seriously?) the deck LIST should be changed, not the deck. Using TD's discretion, of course. And yes I trust TD's enough to make that judgement call.
Check out ShanCast, my SWCCG podcast! Past episodes can be found at www.spreaker.com/user/shancast, or via the Spreaker app (search for #SWCCG).

ImageImageImage
3MW0J8 wrote:If DBO comes back again I swear I will quit for good.
DDM wrote:All hail Kevin Shannon!! :rimshot
3MW0J8 wrote:holy balls KSBOOTMFY
Schele wrote:I guess you're not as bad as I thought you were.

agnos

Post by agnos »

Kevbozzz wrote:It's really lame that a bunch of people had to put bad cards in their deck because of something so trivial. If a decklist error is so obvious (Dark Time non-v? Seriously?) the deck LIST should be changed, not the deck. Using TD's discretion, of course. And yes I trust TD's enough to make that judgement call.
As much as I hate to say this, considering the size of the community etc etc it's Kevin's solution is best.

Return to “2011 World Championships - Washington D.C. - August 11-14”