Re: Kevin Shannon top 8 Decklists

Post by darkjediknight11 »

JediJer wrote:Galen is pretty good at clearing the senate
Yeah but only 3 times, and really only if there are < 3 senators there

AnakinSolo
Retired Advocate

Post by AnakinSolo »

and only if the deck doesn't run a guard - in which case galen is good exactly zero times.
Well, Bye.

SWCCGPT
Starter
Starter

Post by SWCCGPT »

Can someone enlight me here?
Why is Galen good clearing the senate? Because adds bd to Power or Attrition?
What would be his power in there?
darkjediknight11 wrote:Yeah but only 3 times, and really only if there are < 3 senators there
Why only 3 times?
Why only if there only < 3 senators? Beatdown on him?
MAVanDriel wrote:and only if the deck doesn't run a guard - in which case galen is good exactly zero times.
What Guard?

I'm really trying to understand this and improve my knowledge on the game. I just restarted playing last moth after a big absence from the game.

Thank you for your help!

mr007agent

Post by mr007agent »

SWCCGPT wrote:
Adding a destiny to attrition while armed with his saber is what "clears" the senate. His power = 0, so if they get too much politics, his forfeit won't cover the battle damage.
SWCCGPT wrote:
darkjediknight11 wrote:Yeah but only 3 times, and really only if there are < 3 senators there
Why only 3 times?
Most decks only play 3 of him. I am not sure on the <3 senators comment. I guess he means if there are more than three they will outpower you too much and you will start taking overflow.
SWCCGPT wrote:
MAVanDriel wrote:and only if the deck doesn't run a guard - in which case galen is good exactly zero times.
What Guard?
Coruscant Guard
Michael Richards
Rogue 84
PC Volunteer
Shadow 43 - Dantooine Flight Leader
http://omega.uta.edu/~mhr7680/dantooineswccg.html
-007-
ImageImage

SWCCGPT
Starter
Starter

Post by SWCCGPT »

mr007agent wrote:
SWCCGPT wrote:
Adding a destiny to attrition while armed with his saber is what "clears" the senate. His power = 0, so if they get too much politics, his forfeit won't cover the battle damage.
SWCCGPT wrote:
Why only 3 times?
Most decks only play 3 of him. I am not sure on the <3 senators comment. I guess he means if there are more than three they will outpower you too much and you will start taking overflow.
SWCCGPT wrote:
What Guard?
Coruscant Guard
Thank you for your help Michael.
I guess then that Shannon and Nelson had some other strategy thinked to fight LS Senate.
Do you have a idea of what that would be?

P.S. Congratulations for winning the worlds Consolational event again! Or as someone put it, the "The Michael Richards Invitational"! :)

puck71
GEMP Username: puck71

Post by puck71 »

You don't need to fight in the senate to beat a Senate deck. In fact most of the time you don't want to fight there. Your best bet against Senate is to keep them off of OTHER locations.
John Anderson
Proofing, Tournament Committee, GEMP Team

SWCCGPT
Starter
Starter

Post by SWCCGPT »

puck71 wrote:You don't need to fight in the senate to beat a Senate deck. In fact most of the time you don't want to fight there. Your best bet against Senate is to keep them off of OTHER locations.
That bring us to my original Post:
SWCCGPT wrote:What's the planned strategy of the HDv decklist against LS Senate?

There's no Tarkin's Bounty(v) or Ability, Ability, Abilty(v) that I think might help in this matchup.

I'm not a "strong" player, but I just played this matchup, and didn't even managed to keep a BG. A single EPP Luke, managed to clear Vader+Saber, EPP Mara Jade and Myn Kyneugh (V) from a BG and winning the Battle and Resilienced!

This kind of battles kept happening during all the game!

I'm sure Shannon and Nelson had a strategy planned for this matchup. Anyone can help here?

sac89837

Post by sac89837 »

Except when Mon Mothma blind draws a Might of the Republic with Weapon Lev. I felt guilty afterwards.
On a unicorn, riding a unicorn over a rainbow.

"Bounty Hunters don't do brunch."

SWCCGPT
Starter
Starter

Post by SWCCGPT »

sac89837 wrote:
Except when Mon Mothma blind draws a Might of the Republic with Weapon Lev. I felt guilty afterwards.
She "passed" by Weapon Of A Sith ?

sac89837

Post by sac89837 »

SWCCGPT wrote: She "passed" by Weapon Of A Sith ?
Weapon of a Sith requires a draw >= the target's ability. Might of the Republic and Galen are both 5's. This is also why chewie's bowcaster was never used before Gunrunner.
On a unicorn, riding a unicorn over a rainbow.

"Bounty Hunters don't do brunch."

imrahil327
Tournament Advocate

Post by imrahil327 »

sac89837 wrote:
Oh man, that sounds hilarious. I wouldn't feel bad at all.
Hunter wrote:Sebulba's W-L record is like...Always and 1. Tebow's is nowhere near that percentage.
allstarz97, about M:TG wrote:I feel like Michael Jordan playing baseball.

mr007agent

Post by mr007agent »

SWCCGPT wrote:Thank you for your help Michael.
I guess then that Shannon and Nelson had some other strategy thinked to fight LS Senate.
Do you have a idea of what that would be?

P.S. Congratulations for winning the worlds Consolational event again! Or as someone put it, the "The Michael Richards Invitational"! :)
No problem! I honestly don't know what their strategy could be but I do know it would involve a lot of patience. If they had Tarkin's bounty in the deck they would auto-win. It would be in my list...

Thanks for the props!
Michael Richards
Rogue 84
PC Volunteer
-007-
ImageImage

WiseMarsellus

Post by WiseMarsellus »

hdv's plan against senate is to set up its own locations
tom kelly
Image Image Image Image
check out my youtube page for swccg video content, and my twitch for swccg live streams!

Hobbie
DS Region: Endor
DS Region: Endor

Post by Hobbie »

looks like Richards' month is up...
--Nate Davis

Recommended traders: Phil78, Hunter, sac89837, Avatari, biffpow, Atma, rYyIrisH, categoryonegames.com, DarkQug, yannedern, Tom Bombadil, Bryan-Irish
Aglets wrote:Hobbie's got it.
Kevbozzz wrote:What the hell is the "home page"? I don't see any sub-forum by that name.

mr007agent

Post by mr007agent »

WiseMarsellus wrote:hdv's plan against senate is to set up its own locations
Then they lose.
Michael Richards
Rogue 84
PC Volunteer
-007-
ImageImage

WiseMarsellus

Post by WiseMarsellus »

wrong
tom kelly
Image Image Image Image
check out my youtube page for swccg video content, and my twitch for swccg live streams!

mr007agent

Post by mr007agent »

WiseMarsellus wrote:wrong
Haha... ok.
Michael Richards
Rogue 84
PC Volunteer
-007-
ImageImage

Airdog2003

Post by Airdog2003 »

Gameplan vs LS Senate depends on how the LS plays it. LS has to play around the threat of Galen dropping to the senate and clearing 2x senators so they probably don't flip till like turn 2 or 3. It's also NOT that easy for LS senate to overflow Galen & Cyborg due to their anti-forfeit reduction game text. Generally with LS senate tricks, one EPP obi is worth 2 DS mains...this isn't the case with Galen and Cyborg.

General gameplan: Vader + Empy to the 3/2 site and pull Imp Justice v with their first or second pull. Then go to space with the fighter...even if it's just with Thrawn. If Senate wants to dedicate a crap ton of resources (e.g. HCF) to kicking you off Endor, whatever, let them pay three all game long to drain you for 1. Sniper combo can randomly be played at the Senate to hit like Horax or Yarua so sometimes 3 senators aren't even safe from getting cleared by Galen. Dr. E Combo to the 2/2 means sometimes LS never even gets to their tricks.

Senate CAN win the matchup but they are at a pretty big disadvantage because the 7-side of HDv is one of the best Senate counters in the game and coupled with Imp Justice v it's a really uphill battle. HDv chokes and puts on pressure and does DD for hitting with sabers and pulls their red, etc.

I'd venture that if HDv didn't exist (but TBv and AAAv did) LS senate would see a lot more play.
Kevbozzz wrote: And he rose out of the ashes of scrubdom, like a mighty Phoenix.
Aaron Nelson
Star Wars is fun!
Props to my Lakers - 2009 & 2010 World Champions...suck it Boston!

Image Image

mr007agent

Post by mr007agent »

Airdog2003 wrote:Gameplan vs LS Senate depends on how the LS plays it. LS has to play around the threat of Galen dropping to the senate and clearing 2x senators so they probably don't flip till like turn 2 or 3. It's also NOT that easy for LS senate to overflow Galen & Cyborg due to their anti-forfeit reduction game text. Generally with LS senate tricks, one EPP obi is worth 2 DS mains...this isn't the case with Galen and Cyborg.

General gameplan: Vader + Empy to the 3/2 site and pull Imp Justice v with their first or second pull. Then go to space with the fighter...even if it's just with Thrawn. If Senate wants to dedicate a crap ton of resources (e.g. HCF) to kicking you off Endor, whatever, let them pay three all game long to drain you for 1. Sniper combo can randomly be played at the Senate to hit like Horax or Yarua so sometimes 3 senators aren't even safe from getting cleared by Galen. Dr. E Combo to the 2/2 means sometimes LS never even gets to their tricks.

Senate CAN win the matchup but they are at a pretty big disadvantage because the 7-side of HDv is one of the best Senate counters in the game and coupled with Imp Justice v it's a really uphill battle. HDv chokes and puts on pressure and does DD for hitting with sabers and pulls their red, etc.

I'd venture that if HDv didn't exist (but TBv and AAAv did) LS senate would see a lot more play.
I don't know if you guys actually playtested this or it is all conjecture but if I were the Senate player I would focus all my efforts on keeping HDV on the 0 side so I could cancel that endor drain the entire game. If you don't find your Justice V, I see the DS player being in a world of hurt. This is of course, me playing a different type of senate than what is the "norm" I guess you would say. I played Sense x3 in my build and had extra clashes and Sorry about the mess combos. In my opinion I still believe Senate is advantaged in this matchup, unless, of course, you have tarkin's bounty V in your deck, then you barely have a shot at winning at all,
Michael Richards
Rogue 84
PC Volunteer
-007-
ImageImage

Return to “2011 World Championships - Washington D.C. - August 11-14”