Hyatt Regency on Capitol Hill
400 New Jersey Ave NW
Washington, DC 20001
The Smoking Gungan
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold

Center Of Irony

Post by The Smoking Gungan »

Here's the Center of Tyranny list I ran at Worlds (and Bespin Regional, Minnesota States, Dagobah Regional, Georgia States, South Carolina States, and Malastare Regional). It's record for me is 20-4 across those 7 events, and both Mike Richards and John Anderson have had success with it at various tourneys. I'm sure anyone curious has already seen this thing from the lists posted from Worlds, Malastare Regional, South Carolina States, Georgia States, Dagobah Regional, Minnesota States, or Bespin Regional, but why not increasing my post count?

Starting: (11)
Center Of Irony
Anger, Fear, Aggression v
Coruscant? v
Main Power Plant
Lower Levels
Planetary Shield
Rogue Insertion
Heading For The Medical Frigate
Declaration of Rebellion
Rogue Squadron Tactics
Bacta Infirmary

Locations: (2)
Dressel
Jedi Council Chamber non-v

Characters: (19)
Luke Rebel Hero x3
Wedge RSL
Wedge Legendary Rogue Legend
Dash Rendar v
Corran Horn
Biggs Legendary Rogue Legend
Commander Narra
Derek Klivian v
Tycho Celchu v
Dack Raltar v
Ten Numb v
Kier Santage
Wes Jansen Rogue Veteran
Veteran Rogue x2
Leia v
Leia Rebel Princess

Starships: (5)
Han, Chewie, & The Falcon non-v x2
Tantiv IV v
Spiral
Obi-Wan in Rad7

Weapons: (1)
Luke's Blaster Pistol v

Effects: (8)
Commando Training & K'lor'slug
Menace Fades
Civil Disorder v
Projection of a Skywalker x2
Coruscant Celebration
Imperial Atrocity v
Field Dressing

Interrupts: (12)
Papaloo v x4
Escape Pod v x2
Houjix
We Wish To Board At Once x2
Too Close For Comfort
Hear Me Baby, Hold Together v
Odin Nelsor & First Aids

Other: (2)
Meta Card x2 (two cards from: Captive Pursuit, Honor of the Jedi, It Could Be Worse, Quite A Mercenary (or It's A Hit))

Before The Flip:
At the start of the game pull Commando Training & K'lor'slug with Declaration and pull Dressel and Wedge RSL with Rogue Squadron Tactics. If you got Wedge RSL in your opening hand, pull Veteran Rogue instead. If you got Wedge and a Veteran Rogue in your opening hand, pull Ten Numb to mess with your opponent's head. You can also play Don't Do That Again shield and pull Field Dressing now, or you can wait until the middle of a battle to pull it. If you wait, it may surprise your opponent, but you also risk having it hide in your force pile when you want to pull it.

On your first turn, drop rogues to the Coruscant Main Power Plant, even if DS deployed a main there. Against decks that will be coming after you on Coruscant, deploy as many rogues as you can afford. Against decks that will ignore you and try and do their own thing, deploy just two rogues, and consider holding wedge rsl to deploy to their turf later in the game. If DS played someone to the Main Power Plant first turn, don't battle.

On the DS second turn, they may battle you. Between Wedge RSL canceling a destiny, Insertion giving you a minor armor boost, Veteran Rogues and Declaration protecting your forfeit, and Field Dressing, is almost impossible for DS to prevent you from saving at least one rogue. Obviously anyone of ability < 3 who dies goes on the Bacta Infirmary. With your +1 to total BD from Declaration, +1 to attrition from Narra, Yub Yub for an extra destiny, and weapons on hobbie and luke, there's a good chance you killed whatever main DS attacked you with died as well.

On your second turn, attempt to blow up the shield. If you have 3 or more guys there, it's automatic. If you only have 2 guys there, there are only 7 cards in your deck that will miss (3 Lukes, Leia v, Tantiv IV v, Houjix, and the JCC). If you only have one guy there, you need some luck, as drawing a 4 is probably just under a 50/50 shot. If you fail at your attempt to blow up the shield, or if DS managed to clear all your rogues, use your second turn to play as many more rogues as you can to the power plant (including pulling guys off of the infirmary and redeploying them), in order to try again next turn. Repeat until you succeed.

When you blow the shield, the card you should take with your objective pull 90% of the time is the JCC. If you are playing against DS Senate, you can get Leia v instead. Against Court, Quite A Mercenary is an acceptable alternative. Against Walkers, if they haven't already blown their shield, It Could Be Worse is a good alternative. Obviously if the card you are looking for is active or you already drew it you can choose whatever you feel is best for the situation as it stands.

After The Flip:
I guess the post-flip for dummies strategy is to just play super aggressive. On the ground you will never run out of guys thanks to the Infirmary while Declaration and Luke's gun will eat through whatever the DS puts out. In space, you put yourself in situations where you endlessly cycle your pilots (e.g. wedge and biggs legend forfeit for 13 combined) or where you sacrifice your starships in order to steal theirs. Use your judgement, of course, so if Vader with stick is sitting at the 3/2 while you have Projection of a Skywalker and Menace Fades in effect, it's okay to leave him be.

Always always always use your objective to steal DS starships if given the chance. You lose 1 force to gain 1 force, so you don't really lose anything to do it. Stealing their ships keeps them from retrieving and redeploying them later. if they are playing multiples of something (e.g. two victories or two zimh), killing one, stealing it, and deploying it asap basically takes them out of space altogether

Card Comments:
Center Of Irony - The front of this card is basically blank, but you have a ton things to remember on the backside. Even now I still sometimes forget to budget for the 'use 1 force to upload any card if a rogue dies on your turn' function. I forgot +2 generation at coruscant until I played a game without it and someone pointed it out to me afterwards. Like I mentioned earlier, stealing starships is huge and should always be done. Draining +1 at sites related to systems you occupy and getting +2 to total battle destiny occur every game.

Declaration of Rebellion - This card is a lil hard to understand, so for clarification, so long as you have an insurgent (i.e. every character in the deck) at a battleground site, you get +2 to your total battle destiny (+1 before you flip) in every battle everywhere. Also, whenever you have Veteran Rogue in a battle with anyone else, anyone who is hit still forfeits for 4 (unless they were protected from dying by k'lor'slug).

Rogue Squadron Tactics - Don't forget you can draw a card from reserve if you drain at a bg system.

Bacta Infirmary - Don't forget the +1 forfeit from this card to rogues of ability <3

Jedi Council Chamber non-v - Non-virtual version since it negates the drain bonus on dark jedi lightsaber v and you don't need the wto,aot v protection. Also, it is one of the two ways you can search your reserve deck to check your destinies.

Dash Rendar v - Dash is huge against most space decks, so in games where you'll be battling in space, it's probably best if you hold on to him 'til needed and don't waste him on the ground

Commander Narra - Deploys for 2 and draws on his own; just imagine if DS had a character like that. His attrition +1 text is huge so never forget it. His card drawing ability is very important early game, and don't forget that he triggers his own text when he deploys.

Wes Jansen Rogue Veteran - Gets a minor power and forfeit bonus with Wedge or Hobbie. He provides the second way to search your reserve deck in addition to the jcc.

Veteran Rogue - These guys are in here to combo with Declaration, but their deploy of 1 comes in handy when you need to get 4 ability someplace cheaply.

Leia v - Mostly for the senate matchup, but her gametext canceling ability (which works in space too) is great against ppl like Thrawn, GMT, General Veers, Baron Fel, P-59 (edit: nope), Jabba, and others.

Papaloo v - Try and save this interrupt for adding destinies, although pulling a needed rogue is worth it in certain situations. The anti-capture, anti-exclude text is very important against certain things (Hidden Weapons, Snoova, Stunning Leader, possibly You Are Beaten), so consider holding on to one if you suspect those cards.

Too Close For Comfort - Pullable with We Wish To Board At Once. Kinda like a weak version of blaster deflection, but when you get it going you can really screw over ds mains decks

Hear Me Baby, Hold Together v - You basically have to pull Don't Do That Again every game, so you are sort of playing with one less shield pull than normal, which this card helps with. It also happens to cancel some cards that are bad for you (Hidden Weapons, Overload, Cease Fire).

Odin Nelsor & First Aids - Places Field Dressing in your used pile. Also lets you get your rogues off of coruscant and into the action.

Captive Pursuit - Play this if you thing your opponents will try and tech for you by playing Special Delivery and a prison

Honor of the Jedi - Play this if you expect to run into a lot of Hunt Down v

It Could Be Worse - Tech for Walkers, although good (but semi-risky) against most everything

Quite A Mercenary (or It's A Hit)) - Anti-Elis tech for Court

Matchups:
Mains (aka HD, HDv, ASM, Coruscant CRv): Let them attack you, and let declaration, narra, and papaloo v kill their guys while yours cycle. Luke's gun kills people like Emperor, Sidious, Cybort in ASM, or any scrub. Against ASM go ahead and bringin Palpatine back to coruscant. Most of their space packages won't last long against your tricks. Hunt Down v may be the worst of the bunch due to the lose 2 for hitting, but Field Dressing, It Could Be Worse, Honor, and 2 Close 2 Comfort can help with that. Should be an easy game regardless

Senate: The order of the sites should be JCC (once it gets deployed), Power Plant, Lower Levels, Senate, any other Coruscant sites DS may play. Start Civil Disorder v over Rogue Tactics. Pull The Professor right away. Civil should slow them down enough to let you blow the shield relatively unmolested. Use your shield pull to get Leia v and OOP Lott Dodd. Attack the Senate relentlessly with rogues until they run out of senators. Remember Narra and Wedge RSL have politics 2 and Declaration creates two attrition even if they reduce your draw to zero. Papaloo v to add draws in the Senate is big. Depending on what they do in space you can either fight them after they exhaust themself in the senate, or you can go to dressel and avoid their stronger fleet.

ROPs: Only deploy two characters to Coruscant to attempt to blow the shield, and don't use Wedge RSL if possible. Everyone else goes to Ralltiir. Swarm their sites and battle and you should flip them back asap. After that, hold two Ralltiir sites and projection the other two. Use Odin Nelsor to get your guys on Coruscant to Ralltiir when the opportunity presents itself. In space you can play reactively or defensively, your choice. Grab trample if they're playing walkers.

Walkers: This is the one match up where you're better off using DDTA to pull Atrocity instead of Field Dressing. If they blow up the shield turn 2, there's a decent chance your atrocity won't get controled and you'll reduce your loss. Take Commando Training combo into hand but don't deploy it; just lose it to damage. Play just two guys to Corsucant, and Odin them to Hoth later if possible. If DS fails to blow up the Hoth shield on their first attempt, and you succeed in blowing up the Coruscant shield on your first attempt, use your objective pull to get It Could Be Worse and use that to reduce the damage from TTMG. Once the destruction is over, your gameplan in this matchup is to attack the walkers on Hoth relentlessly. Declaration, Yub Yub, and Narra should help you slowly grind through their ground forces, even with DTHACC? on table. Grab trample. Unless you are sure it'll stick, attacking the hoth system is usually a mistake since it's only a drain of 1 and all DS's damage comes from the ground. DS will focus on the Hoth system so a lone Obi in Rad7 at Coruscant probably won't be worth the effort to attack, allowing you to fulfill bplan and draw cards with tactics easily. You win by killing their ground stuff before they ping your lifeforce away.

TTO - Use Obi in Rad7 to blow away the DS2. Consider using your objective pull of the ship if you can't find it otherwise. Dash v in space (with back up obv) should let you hold out in space just fine until then. If DS tries to hold ground with Veers and a walker and fodder, go burn through that with big destiny.

Spice - Take over the Extraction facility and save 3 force to place all DS spice cards OOP. If they are doing big blue type stuff, then Leia v can be huge.

SYCFA - Use Luke with gun plus some back up to clear Sidious from the DB. In space, just make sure every time you lose one of your ships, you get to steal one of theirs and they should run out of stuff soon enough. Menace Fades is an important card to get out and fulfill (via 2 coruscant sites and the ds db)

Court - Use your objective to upload Quite a Mercenary and bait DS into an Elis beat. QAM the Elis and take over the AC for an easy win. If that doesn't happen, go after the AC normally after flipping as Luke's double shootin' gun makes short work of aliens. Remember if Luke hits Ephant Mon he can't do his all attrition and damage thing. You'll have to clear some alien forfeit, but they will likely be using bounty hunter ships you'll eventually steal and use against them.

If there's anything else you want discussed, let me know.

/tips hat
-b

edit: Luke's Blaster v not non-v
Last edited by The Smoking Gungan on August 19th, 2011, 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JarJarDrinks

Re: Center Of Irony

Post by JarJarDrinks »

The Smoking Gungan wrote:Leia v - Mostly for the senate matchup, but her gametext canceling ability (which works in space too) is great against ppl like Thrawn, GMT, General Veers, Baron Fel, P-59, Jabba, and others.
Just FYI: this wont work cause of silly droid rules.

sweet deck though
dx_37 wrote:
October 2nd, 2019, 12:12 pm
I would be all for a reset if I get to be on the reset team
"Faith means making a virtue out of not thinking."
- Bill Maher

"How you play the game is important. But for me, it's about if you win or lose."
- Derek Jeter

The Franchise

Post by The Franchise »

plz explain field dressing stuff?

neat deck. i always thought that the wedge/dressel puller could have a place in the deck
V set 6 and 7 release rountable analysis with Reid, Carulli and myself:

https://forum.starwarsccg.org/viewt ... =2&t=64906

mr007agent

Post by mr007agent »

JarJarDrinks wrote:
The Smoking Gungan wrote:Leia v - Mostly for the senate matchup, but her gametext canceling ability (which works in space too) is great against ppl like Thrawn, GMT, General Veers, Baron Fel, P-59, Jabba, and others.
Not sure what you are talking about:
Icons - Presence Icon
This icon is used to indicate a unit (such as a battle
droid or droid starfighter) that is optimized for terrain
acquisition and control. A card with this icon has
presence at its location for all purposes, even though it
does not have ability. Thus, a Destroyer Droid may
occupy and control a location, Force drain, block an
opponent’s Force drain, battle, be battled, etc.
Additionally, a card with this icon may not be the target
of a Restraining Bolt, and may not be ‘purchased’ by
Wioslea.
Michael Richards
Rogue 84
PC Volunteer
Shadow 43 - Dantooine Flight Leader
http://omega.uta.edu/~mhr7680/dantooineswccg.html
-007-
ImageImage

WiseMarsellus

Post by WiseMarsellus »

p59 is not a character of ability < 5 or whatever leia says
tom kelly
Image Image Image Image
check out my youtube page for swccg video content, and my twitch for swccg live streams!

imrahil327
Tournament Advocate

Post by imrahil327 »

WiseMarsellus wrote:p59 is not a character of ability < 5 or whatever leia says
Correct. Same reason that HBv couldn't \/ 3p0 WHPS.
Hunter wrote:Sebulba's W-L record is like...Always and 1. Tebow's is nowhere near that percentage.
allstarz97, about M:TG wrote:I feel like Michael Jordan playing baseball.

The Smoking Gungan
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold

JarJarDrinks wrote:

sweet deck though
good catch
Brad Eier wrote:plz explain field dressing stuff?

neat deck. i always thought that the wedge/dressel puller could have a place in the deck
DS turn 1 - DS may or may not put guys at the power plant.

LS turn 1 - you'll deploy whatever rogues you can to the power plant and decline to battle

DS turn 2 - DS may or may not drop some guys to the power plant, but if they do they'll probably initiate battle. if they don't have any weapons or cool tricks, they'll draw a destiny that wedge will cancel and you'll lose some scrub to the bacta infirmary (although you could field dressing that dude if you really wanted). if they did something that added destinies or prevented wedge from canceling destiny, DS will need to create 7 or more attrition to kill multiple guys. wedge forfeits for 6 and random rogues forfeit for 5, so losing a random rogue and wedge should cover everything. the random rogue goes to the infirmary, and you use field dressing on wedge, which will leave him at the site but with zero forfeit (essentially it let's you use his forfeit value without him actually forfeiting and leaving the site). if they have weapons or removal like choke vader, those may cause other rogues to die, but declaration in combination veteran rogues or misses or w/e usually allows you to keep at least one guy at the site with Field Dressing

LS turn 2 - Unless things went really bad for you, you should have at least one character still at the power plant to attempt to blow up the planetary shield. If you succeed, then proceed with the game. If you fail your attempt, drop more rogues to the power plant, perhaps by taking ppl off the infirmary, and repeat until you succeed

CategoryOneGames.com
GEMP Username: Categoryon

Post by CategoryOneGames.com »

How does this handle Watto, how would you clear him off the site and the fact that DS has a lot more Tramples that will take out guys?

TheDigitalJawa

Post by TheDigitalJawa »

I think the deck handles Watto by relying on the meta to keep them from playing it.

Love this deck a lot, played it at 3 tournaments and had a blast with it every time. Thanks for all the matchup info man, wish I knew some of this at Worlds 8>

Bib Fortuna
DS Region: Endor

Post by Bib Fortuna »

Watto is dead anyway, thanks to Communing and Speeders. In any case, Narra would be very helpful in invading the Junkyard, and Luke is no slouch at shooting things either; use HMBHTv to cancel Cease Fire.
They fly now!

DDM

Post by DDM »

I pulled out a win vs Mike Richards in the last game of the consolation tournament at the top table vs. my spice deck.
I never faced one, and indeed I got owned by Field Dressing when I tried to clear wedge and a rogue turn 2 with EPP Vader, Ozzel and G. Veers (V).
I remember using Command to add a BD since he cancelled one too.
But he managed to Field Dressing Wedge RSL, and then blew up the thing with a 4.

Then we both made a couple of mistakes, while I was trying to find a way to win the game.
In the end, we shared both a 7 overflow in a beatdown, and I won just because I put less on table than him, and I was threating beatdowns with You Are Beaten while draining in space...

The game was very funny (stupidly funny), and we both agreed the deck is stupid.
But I must say that without the Wedge RSL pull turn 1, it'd be better.
Props to players (and Richards) to start this stupidly weak effect to get him immediately. :)

As for the rest, I'd agree with Richards. Putting guys to Used would be best, maybe.
SirYoda wrote:I suggest we ban all creatures.
Or better yet, just ban DDM from playing creatures.

puck71
GEMP Username: puck71

Post by puck71 »

Don't judge this deck based on my Day 2 results. I pretty much ran the same list but went 1-3 on Day 2. One loss was a terrible loss to HD(v) which it should never lose to. I made like 5 separate mistakes that cost me several force each and I still almost won. And my other two losses were to walkers, which seems like an auto loss. At least with this list.
John Anderson
Proofing, Tournament Committee, GEMP Team

FlorisV

Post by FlorisV »

Are you sure Veteran Rogue and Wedge, Legendary Rogue count as a Rogue Squadron pilots for Rogue Tactics? They have Rogue in their title but there's nothing about Rogue Squadron or Rogue vehicles. Otherwise, wouldn't Bo'Shek be a rogue squadron pilot too (says Rogue pilot in lore), pretty sure he doesn't count.
http://www.mymero.com

Ryloth Region
ImageImage

Bib Fortuna

Post by Bib Fortuna »

Wedge and the Veteran are indeed Rogues. BoShek is not due to a specific ruling.
They fly now!

Hobbie

Post by Hobbie »

how is he not?

imrahil327 wrote:
HBv pulls guys (specifically either republic, rebel or alien depending on what you chose) of ability 2 or 3, not just less than 4. and 3po is a droid character, not a republic, rebel or alien character.
--Nate Davis

Recommended traders: Phil78, Hunter, sac89837, Avatari, biffpow, Atma, rYyIrisH, categoryonegames.com, DarkQug, yannedern, Tom Bombadil, Bryan-Irish
Aglets wrote:Hobbie's got it.
Kevbozzz wrote:What the hell is the "home page"? I don't see any sub-forum by that name.

TacoBill

Post by TacoBill »

Hobbie wrote:
how is he not?
imrahil327 wrote:
HBv pulls guys (specifically either republic, rebel or alien depending on what you chose) of ability 2 or 3, not just less than 4. and 3po is a droid character, not a republic, rebel or alien character.
Droids do not have ability and therefore cannot be a character of ability anything. HBv used to pull a guy of ability < 4, I believe.
Bill Kafer
Definitely on the Mount Rushmore of SWCCG players to live in Hawaii
Cam Solusar wrote:What TacoBill proposes is ideal IMO.

imrahil327
Tournament Advocate

Post by imrahil327 »

As much as it pains me to say it, Bill is correct on both accounts.
Hunter wrote:Sebulba's W-L record is like...Always and 1. Tebow's is nowhere near that percentage.

Hobbie

Post by Hobbie »

so, could Vader not Choke 3po? targets ability
--Nate Davis

Recommended traders: Phil78, Hunter, sac89837, Avatari, biffpow, Atma, rYyIrisH, categoryonegames.com, DarkQug, yannedern, Tom Bombadil, Bryan-Irish
Aglets wrote:Hobbie's got it.
Kevbozzz wrote:What the hell is the "home page"? I don't see any sub-forum by that name.

imrahil327
Tournament Advocate

Post by imrahil327 »

Hobbie wrote:so, could Vader not Choke 3po? targets ability
From the AR:
Droids may be targeted by cards that compare against
ability if the result will be removing the droid from table
(such as returning to hand, placing in Lost Pile, placing
in Used Pile, etc.). In these instances, treat the droid's
ability as an unmodifiable zero.

The Smoking Gungan
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold

CategoryOneGames.com wrote:How does this handle Watto, how would you clear him off the site and the fact that DS has a lot more Tramples that will take out guys?
i haven't played against watto, but my gameplan would be:

play professor right away. pull all your stuff right away (including field dressing) so you don't accidentally topdeck it. use the text on the virtual mos espa to save yourself 2 force first turn Image. right away play 3 guys to the power plant since there is always the threat of an early epp maul; everyone else goes to the junkyard (probably starting your second or third turn). luke, derek, and narra will be the guys that clear the junkyard for you, so get at least one of them there asap. if at some point you have 3 extra force, move the guys on coruscant from the power plant to the lost levels. eventually you will burn through whatever they have at the junkyard, or force them to withdraw, and then you projection mos espa (and maybe the power plant) and drain away. what you do in space depends ds manages to put up there. you may want to bring the fight to them or you may want to hang out at coruscant to make your lost levels drain higher.

i'm not sure what you mean with the tramples comment? trample is one of those cards you should almost always grab with this deck, but it's not game-ending for you. in games where they could be playing trample (or you are beaten), do your best to always have 3 guys at a site so you don't get punked by those two cards. you also play a houjix and two pullers (and your obj), so you usually fish that out soon enough.
puck71 wrote:Don't judge this deck based on my Day 2 results. I pretty much ran the same list but went 1-3 on Day 2. One loss was a terrible loss to HD(v) which it should never lose to. I made like 5 separate mistakes that cost me several force each and I still almost won. And my other two losses were to walkers, which seems like an auto loss. At least with this list.
disagree with the walker comment. i am 3-2 against walkers, and the first lost was the first time i had played against the objective in years. i made all the mistakes i warn you about (wasting guys on coruscant? and the hoth system, playing timid at the hoth sites), so i would like my chances in a rematch against that particular build. of course I had things go my way in my wins too, but that's swccg. now when playing COT, imperial occupation v is not what i like to see my opponent turn over at the start of the game, but i'd say the matchup is 50/50, and far from an auto-loss

Return to “2011 World Championships - Washington D.C. - August 11-14”