Coronavirus

seitaer
GEMP Username: seitaer

Re: Coronavirus

Post by seitaer »

I spent 3 months of near isolation and social distance after transplant. I was finally able to go out and do things after March 4th. I got to eat out twice.

Then back in the hole for me. At least I have plenty of practice for this, because I am definitely at high risk from this virus. I've had pneumonia once and I am not keen on going through that again.

rhendon

Post by rhendon »

Fair. I mean my new bank card is at that house too. So I have a lot of reasons, necessary ones too, to make the trip.

vhstapes

Post by vhstapes »

I think we're 15 days in to self-imposed isolation due to health risks in my family. Grateful for the shelter in place order so people will stop treating us like we're crazy. We have been ordering groceries for delivery from the local IGA and getting things from Amazon so we're not fully disconnected, but it is sounding more and more like that might not be safe? Depends on who you listen to, I guess.

Woke up today to my wife sobbing because she read an article about how if your child gets COVID and goes to the hospital, there's a good chance you won't be allowed in with them (especially here in WA, apparently). * that. So hard. She's also on facebook and other non-actual-news-outlet * all day and freaking herself out, under the guise of wanting to be informed. Not sure how else I can help her besides sharing whatever good news I hear, like about high levels of vitamin C being effective as well as some other antibiotics. So, be sure to spread any good news you happen to hear!

I'm the director of a non-profit that helps people who have disabilities find jobs, so we have provided no services all month, and we get paid by the county/state per hour of service provided, so getting kinda worried that my whole program will just crumble because of this. I'm sure we're not the only non-profit feeling this way.

We were already homeschooling so that has simply continued if not gotten more relaxed, because * learning about ancient history when modern history is playing out in your backyard.

Stressed out, but trying to just spend a ton of time with my kids and having fun.

Just needed to ramble for a minute. Hope you're all doing well.
-Cyrus M.
\m/ Endor Region \m/

Data Tapes - 05 - The Unofficial NARP Defensive Shield Primer

Corran
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold
GEMP Username: corran

Post by Corran »

They started scanning our foreheads before letting us park at work today. At least 2 people got turned away due to having a fever. Now is really not the time to come to work sick... we have a very generous sick leave policy and even have special leave related to Coronavirus... grumble grumble grumble...
Check out Bad Deck Breakdowns, a Star Wars CCG Deckbuilding podcast, on the podcatcher of your choice or https://www.kendallcast.ninja
ketwol wrote: There are good cards which aren't frequently played and blow people out. You just have to invest some time and be creative ;)

Spoiler Man
Anthology
Anthology

Post by Spoiler Man »

My work announced that everyone is going to be put on furlough as of April 1st, and that benefits will run until June 30th, where after that we will have to apply for cobra, and that as of April 1st we'll have to apply for unemployment.

This is already been a huge economic toll on me and mine; so this is just going to get worse. With no 'end' in sight, and no 'return to work' in sight either.

Corran
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold

Post by Corran »

Spoiler Man wrote:
March 27th, 2020, 12:43 pm
My work announced that everyone is going to be put on furlough as of April 1st, and that benefits will run until June 30th, where after that we will have to apply for cobra, and that as of April 1st we'll have to apply for unemployment.

This is already been a huge economic toll on me and mine; so this is just going to get worse. With no 'end' in sight, and no 'return to work' in sight either.
That really stinks. I think it's important to be aware of the real toll this is taking on people economically even as we do everything we can to stop the spread.
Check out Bad Deck Breakdowns, a Star Wars CCG Deckbuilding podcast, on the podcatcher of your choice or https://www.kendallcast.ninja
ketwol wrote: There are good cards which aren't frequently played and blow people out. You just have to invest some time and be creative ;)

Corran
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold

Post by Corran »

Is anyone else compulsively grocery shopping during all of this? My wife and I are fully stocked, but every time we make a little dent in our cupboard, I feel the need to fill it back up. For some reason, I spent $200 on groceries that we mostly didn't need yesterday. Also, I had to go to 3 stores to find tortilla chips(something we actually needed), and they didn't have Tostitos, so I ended up buying two off brand bags just in case one was bad. Costco was super interesting, because they were only letting 150 people in the store at a time, so I had to wait in line(6 feet apart of course.)

CRG
GEMP Username: CRG

Post by CRG »

Corran wrote:
March 28th, 2020, 8:49 am
Is anyone else compulsively grocery shopping during all of this?
No. We have for a long time shopped once/week and planned out meals for the week (labels on magnets, stuck to a board on the fridge), and then shopped for those plus staples/things we use on a weekly or other semi-regular basis (bread, milk, coffee, etc.). We then keep that list throughout the week.

What we're doing now is the same thing and we've slowly bought a little more than we needed and put it in a chest freezer in the garage (we're about a week or so above what we need right now, having done a mid-week run b/c wife was scared of a not-yet-in-place shelter-in-place order causing a run on the grocery stores - lots of people in MN have had military friends telling civilians plenty of scary stuff, prompting panic buying).

The biggest thing we're finding now is that there is a significant lag/delay time between when we're able to place an order for pick-up at our preferred grocery store and when out pick-up time-slot is. It's been about 5 days as of late. That's been the hardest part. Since we're a week up on food, ordering now for what we need in about two weeks has been interesting. And it's hard to (we can, but don't) justify a quick run to the store if we forget something, need something, etc.

Silver lining. We're not spending anything on gas. I've driven my car three times in the past 2.5 weeks.
Hyperdrive (V) primer and Match-up/Game Library
TacoBill wrote:
December 23rd, 2019, 8:22 pm
LS:
.800 The Hyperdrive Generator's Gone (5 games)
[everything else in the Jawa Cup]
Hunt Down primer and Match-up/Game Library.

And in an unrelated, out-of-context note:
quickdraw3457 wrote:That deck just sucks
Member of:
rsersen wrote:
February 25th, 2020, 1:51 pm
MYWHL club

Corran
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold

Post by Corran »

CRG wrote:
March 28th, 2020, 9:14 am
Corran wrote:
No. We have for a long time shopped once/week and planned out meals for the week (labels on magnets, stuck to a board on the fridge), and then shopped for those plus staples/things we use on a weekly or other semi-regular basis (bread, milk, coffee, etc.). We then keep that list throughout the week.

What we're doing now is the same thing and we've slowly bought a little more than we needed and put it in a chest freezer in the garage (we're about a week or so above what we need right now, having done a mid-week run b/c wife was scared of a not-yet-in-place shelter-in-place order causing a run on the grocery stores - lots of people in MN have had military friends telling civilians plenty of scary stuff, prompting panic buying).

The biggest thing we're finding now is that there is a significant lag/delay time between when we're able to place an order for pick-up at our preferred grocery store and when out pick-up time-slot is. It's been about 5 days as of late. That's been the hardest part. Since we're a week up on food, ordering now for what we need in about two weeks has been interesting. And it's hard to (we can, but don't) justify a quick run to the store if we forget something, need something, etc.

Silver lining. We're not spending anything on gas. I've driven my car three times in the past 2.5 weeks.
It sounds like you guys are the polar opposite of my wife and I. Prior to all this, we had a list of staples, mostly breakfast foods and snacks, that we kept in the house, and that's about it. We mostly got carry out every day for lunch and dinner, and if we ate at home, it was me picking up all of the necessary ingredients to cook on the way home from work. This thing has forced us to learn how to stock up and cook. For the first few days, we'd start to cook dinner and realize we didn't have a staple like cooking oil and I'd have to go out for just that. After that, I'd have 5 items I needed at the grocery and would be able to find 3 of them, which would lead me to going to several stores and by the time I found the other 2 items, we'd realized we needed 5 more things.

I don't know, hopefully we're in good shape now. Neither her nor I are able to work from home, but I do have some extra days off this week, so hopefully I can shut myself in and stop being part of the problem.

CRG
GEMP Username: CRG

Post by CRG »

Corran wrote:
March 28th, 2020, 9:26 am
We mostly got carry out every day for lunch and dinner, and if we ate at home, it was me picking up all of the necessary ingredients to cook on the way home from work.
Three kids and their associated day care/after-school-care expenses require a) careful, consistent meal planning; and b) minimizing restaurant expenses.
Corran wrote:
This thing has forced us to learn how to stock up and cook.
This is your silver lining. Hope it works out well (all other things considering).
Hyperdrive (V) primer and Match-up/Game Library
TacoBill wrote:
December 23rd, 2019, 8:22 pm
LS:
.800 The Hyperdrive Generator's Gone (5 games)
[everything else in the Jawa Cup]
Hunt Down primer and Match-up/Game Library.

And in an unrelated, out-of-context note:
quickdraw3457 wrote:That deck just sucks
Member of:
rsersen wrote:
February 25th, 2020, 1:51 pm
MYWHL club

arebelspy

Post by arebelspy »

Corran wrote:
No.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/18/supply- ... demic.html

Corran
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold

Post by Corran »

arebelspy wrote:
March 28th, 2020, 10:18 am
Corran wrote:
No.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/18/supply- ... demic.html
I cut myself off from buying toilet paper yesterday. We almost ran out at the beginning of this stuff, so my wife told me to keep an eye out for it, but we've got enough for the next little while(not a crazy amount).
CRG wrote:
March 28th, 2020, 9:58 am
Corran wrote:
This thing has forced us to learn how to stock up and cook.
This is your silver lining. Hope it works out well (all other things considering).
Of course knowing me I'll be back to my old ways a week or two after everything goes back to normal.

shawnd1984
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold
GEMP Username: Shawnd1984

Post by shawnd1984 »

People around me are deteriorating mentally. The combination of 24/7 fearful news reporting (and conspicuously absent news about positive progress) plus being inside is really starting to take effect. I have also noticed a predilection to start arguments (not with me). My guess is that people feel out of control, and this is something that they have control over.

Ps: for some reason, I am by far the most positive and optimistic about this whole ordeal. Important to note, given my pet peeve thread. :-D
3MW0J8 wrote: "B-but... Muh Force drain bonuses!".

sjacree
GEMP Username: Plagueis

Post by sjacree »

shawnd1984 wrote:
March 29th, 2020, 7:52 am
My guess is that people feel out of control, and this is something that they have control over.
People can't control their circumstances and that is ok. They can control their emotions (i.e. fear).
-Seth Acree, Compiler of Legacy Flex Cube, designer of Seth's Virtual Expansion, creator of Death March (legacy) and BHBM Skulls decktypes, Breaker of Dark Waters combo (legacy), former-CBT Member, former-Design team, best player in West Africa and...
Image Image
Throdo wrote:You're the most creative deckbuilder I know.

Weyoun9846135
DS Region: Ralltiir
DS Region: Ralltiir
GEMP Username: Weyoun9846

Post by Weyoun9846135 »

shawnd1984 wrote:
People around me are deteriorating mentally. The combination of 24/7 fearful news reporting (and conspicuously absent news about positive progress) plus being inside is really starting to take effect.
I'd stop following the news, especially 24/7.
I had the habit of constantly checking the news on my smartphone and other devices. I then stopped doing that in May last year and instead reverted to a weekly newspaper of my choice that kept me up to date with what was happening (providing more depth on topics that were of interest to me, which I saw as an additional benefit). So it's not that I would have missed what's happening grand-scale. But it helped me tremendously.
In these times one may feel the desire to be more up-to-date than once a week - but one probably doesn't need more than once a day, so I try to stick to that and have the impression it makes me a much more conscious, happier person!
Ulli R. - Berlin, Germany

shawnd1984
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold
GEMP Username: Shawnd1984

Post by shawnd1984 »

I had a kid back in August, and 3 months of my life was basically a blur... So I have no problem doing all of hunkering . I am more concerned about the mental aspect of those around me (and let's be honest, that will eventually wear me down).

I have a real issue with people who are currently still being paid dismissing peoples desire to return to work though. There are multifaceted issues with all of this, not just the potential medical issues.
3MW0J8 wrote: "B-but... Muh Force drain bonuses!".

sjacree
GEMP Username: Plagueis

Post by sjacree »

shawnd1984 wrote:
March 29th, 2020, 8:18 am
There are multifaceted issues with all of this, not just the potential medical issues.
This. I live in Ghana and starting tomorrow they are going to lock down specific cities to the point where people are not supposed to leave their house at all. The problem is, many people live from day to day, they do not have any reserves of supplies (money, food, some even restroom facilities) to get them though a 2 week lockdown.
-Seth Acree, Compiler of Legacy Flex Cube, designer of Seth's Virtual Expansion, creator of Death March (legacy) and BHBM Skulls decktypes, Breaker of Dark Waters combo (legacy), former-CBT Member, former-Design team, best player in West Africa and...
Image Image
Throdo wrote:You're the most creative deckbuilder I know.

rhendon

Post by rhendon »

Apparently there is a scam in Travis county (where Austin is) that people are being pulled over by fake cops because of the quarantine and then being robbed, raped or whatever. Fun times. Glad I'm leaving today and not coming back until this is all over.

Personally, I don't mind hunkering down. I enjoy being on the computer, playing xbox, watching tv and hanging out with my pets. I can't stand crowds of people, so no traffic, small lines, less people all around is like heaven to me.

arebelspy

Post by arebelspy »

sjacree wrote:
shawnd1984 wrote:
My guess is that people feel out of control, and this is something that they have control over.
People can't control their circumstances and that is ok. They can control their emotions (i.e. fear).
Yes!

Love this.

Interesting hearing it from you, given our recent discussions on the how to win at life thread.

I feel like the two mindsets tie together really well.

Maybe think about how to apply the one you believe (here) to the one you're struggling with?

The Franchise

Post by The Franchise »

Went to one of the parks today to walk the trail. Tons of people there. Not sure why during a nationwide “stay 6 feet away from people” standard, folks decide to walk side by side. Awkward as it may be, it would be better to walk single file like tusken raiders to keep the distance. May take a walking stick next time
V set 6 and 7 release rountable analysis with Reid, Carulli and myself:

https://forum.starwarsccg.org/viewt ... =2&t=64906

Return to “Off Topic”