Twilight imperium 4.0

TB
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold

Twilight imperium 4.0

Post by TB »

Ok so my group of friends have invested in this fabled board game.

Now we are about to setup a day rot play it for real. Have been waiting for this for years. I wanna come prepared and I know this forum is filled to th brim with able board gamers, so please feel free to share anything TI4 related: tips, strategies, what races to play, how to play them etc. anything.

Results:
European Championships 2014 - 3rd place
European Championships 2013 - 8th place
Toola Regionals 2013 - runner up
European Championships 2011 - 5th place

maxbeedo
LS Region: Dantooine
LS Region: Dantooine

Re: Twilight imperium 4.0

Post by maxbeedo »

I've played probably 25 games of TI3 and 3 games of TI4, and the strategies between the versions haven't changed a ton. The Rules Reference PDF is available online: https://images-cdn.fantasyflightgames.c ... ressed.pdf

The main thing is board setup. Since the board is generated by the players, and the public objectives deck is randomly made, your strategies may have to change drastically from what your race is good at. You should always be focused on getting victory points, whether that be from battles, researching tech, accruing trade goods/resources/influence, or whatever the objectives ask of you. Based on the board setup, some of them may be unrealistic, as can your Secret Objective, such as needing to control multiple planets with tech specialities and none of them are near you. If you are playing a race that, based on their bonuses, looks like they focus on battling (Sardakk N'orr, Nekro Virus, etc.), save your resource-rich planet tiles for later in the board creation, so that you can place them next to your homeworld (inner rings are placed first), since they need to spend more on units, although this strategy is nice for all races. If you do happen to get mostly Influence on the planets near you, then your strategy may have to change to take advantage of the Leadership and Politics strategy cards, or you might get lucky and some of the objectives will be influence-focused. Players with more resources can make more units, but players with more influence can do more actions by purchasing tokens with the Leadership card and pass laws that favor them, so it somewhat evens out.

If you're like me, and you win a decent amount, and the other players go out of their way to place Supernovas, Asteroid Fields and such near you so that you have few resources, be prepared to lose gracefully and focus on having fun through muddying up things for everyone else through Politics. I can usually predict if I will win as soon as the board is set, playing with experienced players, but that probably won't hold for you in your first few games.

War has a cost. While it can be fun to treat the game like Risk and try to take over the galaxy (which is technically a win condition), unless you're only playing with 3 people (maybe 4), it quickly becomes unrealistic to hold that much space. The objectives and victory points are usually all that matter, so if there is no reason to fight, there isn't much reason to risk losing several units in a war of attrition, as that just makes it more likely your other opponents will win. Most of my games have been with 6 or 8 people (TI4 only supports 6 right now I think?), so attacks needed to be precise and strategic or you'd leave yourself open on multiple fronts.

Basic rules to keep in mind:
1. The person who chooses the strategy card gets the PRIMARY ABILITY ONLY, everyone else gets the SECONDARY ABILITY ONLY (whenever the player with the card activates the primary and if they pay a strategy token for it), unless the card or a race ability says otherwise. If a card is not chosen, no one gets to do either. Activating your strategy card is the only mandatory action you must take before passing in a round.
2. You can't move units out of a system you've already activated. This makes the WARFARE strategy card pretty important, even if you aren't planning on fighting. The Primary ability lets you pull a token off the board, letting you then do something else with those units, while the secondary lets you build units without activating the system your space dock is in (normally you'd have to), thus letting those units move immediately after being built. This can be extremely good early-game when you're mostly just expanding and taking planets, but for which ability you want make sure to keep #1 above in mind.
3. You must control your homeworld to claim objectives. Keep this in mind if a player is about to win.
4. You only get 2 command tokens back each round, unless you use other methods to gain more, and you must balance these between Strategy, Fleet Supply and Tactics. Be careful not to overextend yourself with needless moves and strategy secondary abilities you don't need.
5. You can only claim 1 public objective per status phase. You can also claim your secret objective at that time, if it says status phase on it. A few specifically say they can be claimed during the action phase, in which case you can claim them "as soon as you earn it". Objectives are claimed in INITIATIVE ORDER, which can be very important on the last round of a close game.

Races with weird rules:
Nekro Virus - The Borg. Can't vote, can't research tech, but they can gain tech by killing at least one opposing unit in a battle and stealing one they had. This has usually been one of the stronger races because of the FEAR they put on their neighbors. When they would gain tech without battling, they instead gain 3 command tokens, which is great because then they aren't constrained by access to or influence needed for Leadership to have all the tokens they need to perform the actions they want. The only game I've played where whoever played this race lost was because their 2 immediate neighbors refused to research tech and most of the objectives were tech-based (all 3 players lost).
Arborec - The tradeoff here is that they can't produce ground forces with space docks, making them expand slower and be more vulnerable early-game, but their ground forces can produce on their own as they can basically "spit out ships into space". Late-game, especially with their racial technologies, they become almost unstoppable due to being able to produce huge fleets anywhere they have troops, space dock or not.
Ghosts of Creuss - Situationally great, and that situation is if the tiles with wormholes are on the board and in good positions, which is not a guarantee. Otherwise they're somewhat weak.
Yssaril Tribes - Skipping your turn means little in the early game, but late game lets you make several moves in a row with no possibility of counterattacks once other players have passed or have run out of command tokens, which is extremely important for planets you need to hold until the Status phase for claiming objectives (or preventing others from getting them).
Clan of Saar - Their space docks can move, and with a racial tech can move into Asteroid Fields. Since other players cannot stop in asteroids (they can only move through them with a tech), your space docks are then permanently safe. They are also the ONLY race that doesn't need to occupy their homeworlds to claim objectives.

TB
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold

Post by TB »

maxbeedo wrote:
May 18th, 2020, 1:48 pm
I've played probably 25 games of TI3 and 3 games of TI4, and the strategies between the versions haven't changed a ton. The Rules Reference PDF is available online: https://images-cdn.fantasyflightgames.c ... ressed.pdf

The main thing is board setup. Since the board is generated by the players, and the public objectives deck is randomly made, your strategies may have to change drastically from what your race is good at. You should always be focused on getting victory points, whether that be from battles, researching tech, accruing trade goods/resources/influence, or whatever the objectives ask of you. Based on the board setup, some of them may be unrealistic, as can your Secret Objective, such as needing to control multiple planets with tech specialities and none of them are near you. If you are playing a race that, based on their bonuses, looks like they focus on battling (Sardakk N'orr, Nekro Virus, etc.), save your resource-rich planet tiles for later in the board creation, so that you can place them next to your homeworld (inner rings are placed first), since they need to spend more on units, although this strategy is nice for all races. If you do happen to get mostly Influence on the planets near you, then your strategy may have to change to take advantage of the Leadership and Politics strategy cards, or you might get lucky and some of the objectives will be influence-focused. Players with more resources can make more units, but players with more influence can do more actions by purchasing tokens with the Leadership card and pass laws that favor them, so it somewhat evens out.

If you're like me, and you win a decent amount, and the other players go out of their way to place Supernovas, Asteroid Fields and such near you so that you have few resources, be prepared to lose gracefully and focus on having fun through muddying up things for everyone else through Politics. I can usually predict if I will win as soon as the board is set, playing with experienced players, but that probably won't hold for you in your first few games.

War has a cost. While it can be fun to treat the game like Risk and try to take over the galaxy (which is technically a win condition), unless you're only playing with 3 people (maybe 4), it quickly becomes unrealistic to hold that much space. The objectives and victory points are usually all that matter, so if there is no reason to fight, there isn't much reason to risk losing several units in a war of attrition, as that just makes it more likely your other opponents will win. Most of my games have been with 6 or 8 people (TI4 only supports 6 right now I think?), so attacks needed to be precise and strategic or you'd leave yourself open on multiple fronts.

Basic rules to keep in mind:
1. The person who chooses the strategy card gets the PRIMARY ABILITY ONLY, everyone else gets the SECONDARY ABILITY ONLY (whenever the player with the card activates the primary and if they pay a strategy token for it), unless the card or a race ability says otherwise. If a card is not chosen, no one gets to do either. Activating your strategy card is the only mandatory action you must take before passing in a round.
2. You can't move units out of a system you've already activated. This makes the WARFARE strategy card pretty important, even if you aren't planning on fighting. The Primary ability lets you pull a token off the board, letting you then do something else with those units, while the secondary lets you build units without activating the system your space dock is in (normally you'd have to), thus letting those units move immediately after being built. This can be extremely good early-game when you're mostly just expanding and taking planets, but for which ability you want make sure to keep #1 above in mind.
3. You must control your homeworld to claim objectives. Keep this in mind if a player is about to win.
4. You only get 2 command tokens back each round, unless you use other methods to gain more, and you must balance these between Strategy, Fleet Supply and Tactics. Be careful not to overextend yourself with needless moves and strategy secondary abilities you don't need.
5. You can only claim 1 public objective per status phase. You can also claim your secret objective at that time, if it says status phase on it. A few specifically say they can be claimed during the action phase, in which case you can claim them "as soon as you earn it". Objectives are claimed in INITIATIVE ORDER, which can be very important on the last round of a close game.

Races with weird rules:
Nekro Virus - The Borg. Can't vote, can't research tech, but they can gain tech by killing at least one opposing unit in a battle and stealing one they had. This has usually been one of the stronger races because of the FEAR they put on their neighbors. When they would gain tech without battling, they instead gain 3 command tokens, which is great because then they aren't constrained by access to or influence needed for Leadership to have all the tokens they need to perform the actions they want. The only game I've played where whoever played this race lost was because their 2 immediate neighbors refused to research tech and most of the objectives were tech-based (all 3 players lost).
Arborec - The tradeoff here is that they can't produce ground forces with space docks, making them expand slower and be more vulnerable early-game, but their ground forces can produce on their own as they can basically "spit out ships into space". Late-game, especially with their racial technologies, they become almost unstoppable due to being able to produce huge fleets anywhere they have troops, space dock or not.
Ghosts of Creuss - Situationally great, and that situation is if the tiles with wormholes are on the board and in good positions, which is not a guarantee. Otherwise they're somewhat weak.
Yssaril Tribes - Skipping your turn means little in the early game, but late game lets you make several moves in a row with no possibility of counterattacks once other players have passed or have run out of command tokens, which is extremely important for planets you need to hold until the Status phase for claiming objectives (or preventing others from getting them).
Clan of Saar - Their space docks can move, and with a racial tech can move into Asteroid Fields. Since other players cannot stop in asteroids (they can only move through them with a tech), your space docks are then permanently safe. They are also the ONLY race that doesn't need to occupy their homeworlds to claim objectives.
duuuude! Thanks a ton!
Results:
European Championships 2014 - 3rd place
European Championships 2013 - 8th place
Toola Regionals 2013 - runner up
European Championships 2011 - 5th place

The Honky Tonk Man

Post by The Honky Tonk Man »

I gifted this to Brad a few Christmases ago and he hasn't brought it over to play :cry: :cry: :cry:

The Franchise

Post by The Franchise »

The Honky Tonk Man wrote:
May 22nd, 2020, 5:56 pm
I gifted this to Brad a few Christmases ago and he hasn't brought it over to play :cry: :cry: :cry:

Lets play a game over zoom
V set 6 and 7 release rountable analysis with Reid, Carulli and myself:

https://forum.starwarsccg.org/viewt ... =2&t=64906

Return to “Off Topic”