Star Wars CCG 2.0

The Honky Tonk Man

Star Wars CCG 2.0

Post by The Honky Tonk Man »

Every now and then I get an idea, I buy into it, and spend a ton of time and energy trying to make it happen. Many of you witnessed me continuously bang the drum for Euroworlds and it eventually happened. I was clamoring for a reset years before it happened, and it eventually came to pass. Then, this last year, I helped participate in a new wave of political campaigning and help meme Donald Trump to the presidency.

What's next - Star Wars CCG 2.0

I believe we can make this happen if we put pressure on the right spots. Fantasy Flight Games is in a great position to produce this. Their current Star Wars LCG is towards the end of its life cycle. FFG recently released a SW collectible dice game, which has people conditioned to play a CCG.

I would envision SWCCG 2.0 to be a fairly clean version of our current game. Fewer obscure rules.

Anyone interested in joining this effort?

Xanth
World Champion
World Champion

Re: Star Wars CCG 2.0

Post by Xanth »

I mean, I can't not be interested... ;-)
Shadow 14 wrote:I officially love you now, Tom!
Advocate wrote: Tom Haid will make us all regret this probably.

The Honky Tonk Man

What FFG did with Netrunner was pretty remarkable. A lot of what they did to clean that game up and get it back to the market can be replicated for Star War CCG fairly easily.

However, I'm torn what approach would be a better - an LCG or CCG. LCG makes sense for older player bases, but I feel it holds the manufacturer less accountable and doesn't work well with what made SWCCG great, such as the ability to play with 18 Eloms in a deck.

Spoiler Man
Anthology
Anthology

Post by Spoiler Man »

I'd be totally down for this. I mentioned it in that history post in the main forum. I think something basically JUST like SWCCG, but starting at the starting point of it all - EP1... and progressing from there.

Completely clean slate. 0 cards, and just start from there. Use the basic rules of SWCCG. Clean them up. And don't clutter things as we progress with ridiculousness.

Some new rules additions obviously would be needed over the years (as in any game to keep it interesting/progressive), but nothing to the level that Decipher's SWCCG did (stares menancingly at 'bluff' rules and 'dejarik' rules and the such).

A good base 320 card set like Premier, but starting with EP1, and then followed up by 120-150 card sets just like SWCCG would be great. Premier, and 2 sets could be done for EP1. Then 3 sets for EP2. Then maybe 1-5 sets depending on how you want to stretch it based around the Clone Wars movie and the television show. Then 3 sets for EP3. Followed by 2-4 sets for the Rebels show. 3 sets for R1. 3 sets for ANH, 3 for ESB, 3 for ROTJ, 3 for TFA.... 3 for EP8.... 3 for EP9.... and by then of course the Han Solo movie would be out, and then you can start backtracking through the years (ie. hit things from EP1 maybe missed the first time through, or some of the books, or cards from seasons of Rebels not out yet, or any other shows that come out, or other movies they add like the Han Solo movie or Fett movie, etc.).

Heck, doing 3 sets per year, and starting say January 15th, and doing the TV show too, it'd be .... 10 years (8 movies + 2 TV shows, 3 sets per year) before we'd even get to EP8, and by that time EP9, Han Solo Movie, Fett Movie, and who knows how many other movies would all be out. And with the new licensing behind SW and with Disney running it ala Marvel Universe, the game could literally never end on just images/footage alone for the cards. It'd have a much longer lifespan than Decipher's ever could just based on that.

quesosauce37
LS Region: Tatooine
LS Region: Tatooine
GEMP Username: quesosauce

Post by quesosauce37 »

whats the pitch to ffg like though?

hey guys if you make this game i know like 300 dudes who will buy it

next
Jerry H

Image Image

rhendon

Post by rhendon »

quesosauce37 wrote:whats the pitch to ffg like though?

next
More like you have 300 advocates all around country in big cities that would help, market and push events. What a lot of companies miss is to be successful it starts at grass roots with lgs. That is where mtg started. Of course now they aren't as good to them but they have this base. You can walk into any store in America and see someone playing a game. That isn't really true for others. Usually it's one store not all.

If they cleaned it up, and made a quality product they could get close to pokemon sales.
Hunter wrote:
April 8th, 2020, 5:19 am
I agree with rhendon that Joe is Scum.

SmallDarkLines
GEMP Username: Tardis

Post by SmallDarkLines »

next
Actually that's exactly how marketing works.
It's not 300 nerds - it's 300 of the right nerds.
In marketing terms, those are your 'key influencers' - they're the ones who attend tournaments and will be most vocal in getting others to try the new game.

Personally I think if anything gets done at all, it should be a limited print run of a standalone expansion to the existing game to gauge interest - then if that sells out in reasonable time, full development on an updated version.
New or returning player? Click here for the information you need to know.

Beat me mercilessly on GEMP: Tardis
Say hello at an event:Darren

spideyguy0

Post by spideyguy0 »

I can't believe I'm saying this, but I really have no interest in this. At least not from FFG. It means totally starting over and losing all the existing Decipher cards, and quite frankly, the PC runs a better competitive tournament circuit than FFG does. Their communication and support is better than FFG's. All things considered, I'll take the game as it exists now.
Casey A. - New York, NY
Image Image

The Honky Tonk Man

spideyguy0 wrote:I can't believe I'm saying this, but I really have no interest in this. At least not from FFG. It means totally starting over and losing all the existing Decipher cards, and quite frankly, the PC runs a better competitive tournament circuit than FFG does. Their communication and support is better than FFG's. All things considered, I'll take the game as it exists now.
This is a good post and I definitely understand where you are coming from: why upset the apple cart when things aren't all that bad?

Most of you guys remember the golden era of SWCCG. Remember how fun it was to buy and collect cards and go to sanctioned events at your local store? Now, to fully enjoy SWCCG, it's kind of a headache. The world is smaller now than it was 20 years ago, but to play SWCCG now, you still have to probably drive a good distance. Also, there is a ton of arts and crafts time involved with enjoying new cards and building decks. A lot of those issues are resolved with an in print card game with good local support.

Shewski
Retired Advocate

Post by Shewski »

I remember when I first really got heavily involved with the PC, behind the scenes, I was helping push something like this to present to LFL. It was fun. One of the key things was targeted reprints so that the old cards people had would still have some value, as they essentially all become AIs.
Mike Tomashewski

Hunter
World Champion
World Champion

Post by Hunter »

As long as Anakin and Vader can't be on table at same time, you know I'm interested.

next
Hey man, sometimes 300 is all you need.

This...is...STAR WARS!!!

kryptofis
Holotable username: kryptofis
GEMP Username: kryptofis

Post by kryptofis »

I am in. Already sent a tweet to the guy you said I should. But I can do more.
Kryptofis

Darkness

Post by Darkness »

While I would play... I imagine the FFG game to be completely incompatible with existing cards. The community would probably divide in half as many players shift their interest to the card game being actively produced. There really aren't enough players for that. I can't see SWCCG surviving. Maybe that's okay as the replacement would have arrived, but many would be sad.
Todd Johnson

imrahil327
Tournament Advocate

Post by imrahil327 »

Darkness wrote:While I would play... I imagine the FFG game to be completely incompatible with existing cards. The community would probably divide in half as many players shift their interest to the card game being actively produced. There really aren't enough players for that. I can't see SWCCG surviving. Maybe that's okay as the replacement would have arrived, but many would be sad.
I don't think Booker's intent in this situation would be to have the PC survive.
Hunter wrote:Sebulba's W-L record is like...Always and 1. Tebow's is nowhere near that percentage.
allstarz97, about M:TG wrote:I feel like Michael Jordan playing baseball.

The Honky Tonk Man

That's not true.

imrahil327
Tournament Advocate

Post by imrahil327 »

The Honky Tonk Man wrote:That's not true.
Well, they're mutually exclusive, so maybe this venture isn't the best idea then.
Hunter wrote:Sebulba's W-L record is like...Always and 1. Tebow's is nowhere near that percentage.
allstarz97, about M:TG wrote:I feel like Michael Jordan playing baseball.

Meto
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold

Post by Meto »

No way would our game survive if FFG started their own version.
"I was blackout drunk and shot Hunter."

The Honky Tonk Man

Luke: And sacrifice [the Players Committee]?
Yoda: If you honor what they fight for, yes!

The Franchise
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold

Post by The Franchise »

with how relaxed ffg is re: alt arts for agot, i could certainly envision a scenario where there is a new game and the pc continues to exist

Meto
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold

Post by Meto »

Even if they allow the PC to exist, the game we currently play will shortly be dead.
"I was blackout drunk and shot Hunter."

Return to “Off Topic”