Irrational Pet Peeves? List em here!

mingtown
GEMP Username: mingtown

Re: Irrational Pet Peeves? List em here!

Post by mingtown »

shawnd1984 wrote:
July 18th, 2020, 6:15 am
mingtown wrote:
July 17th, 2020, 11:11 am
shawnd1984 wrote:
July 17th, 2020, 10:54 am
I will defer to bill nye on all things mechanical engineering related. I have never seen him discuss anything mechanical engineering related. You don't ask an ophthalmologist about gastrointestinal issues, for good reason.
You realize that mechanical engineering is the application of scientific principles right? To earn my degree in ME I had to have training and coursework in Biology, Chemistry, Physics and Mathematics. It's not just like a separate branch of 'science'.
Sure... Business administration degrees use math and accounting. Nonetheless, a fewer college classes in both fields does not mean I should be giving complex tax advice.
Explaining basic science in a TV show aimed at children is analogous to an accountant giving complex tax advice?

Image Image
2018 WI State Champ
2019 MPC Consolation Top 4

arebelspy

Post by arebelspy »

mingtown wrote:
shawnd1984 wrote:
mingtown wrote:
shawnd1984 wrote:
I will defer to bill nye on all things mechanical engineering related. I have never seen him discuss anything mechanical engineering related. You don't ask an ophthalmologist about gastrointestinal issues, for good reason.
You realize that mechanical engineering is the application of scientific principles right? To earn my degree in ME I had to have training and coursework in Biology, Chemistry, Physics and Mathematics. It's not just like a separate branch of 'science'.
Sure... Business administration degrees use math and accounting. Nonetheless, a fewer college classes in both fields does not mean I should be giving complex tax advice.
Explaining basic science in a TV show aimed at children is analogous to an accountant giving complex tax advice?
No, but I think he was complaining about Nye giving his opinion on a bunch of things now, not about his work on that show decades ago.

mingtown

Post by mingtown »

arebelspy wrote:
July 18th, 2020, 11:51 am
mingtown wrote:
shawnd1984 wrote:
mingtown wrote:
shawnd1984 wrote:
No, but I think he was complaining about Nye giving his opinion on a bunch of things now, not about his work on that show decades ago.
But that's not what the OP was...
shawnd1984 wrote:
July 16th, 2020, 2:49 pm
Bill Nye's opinion on any subject.
I mean fine if we want to move the goal posts and say that Bill Nye's interpretation and understanding of astrophysics is probably not as good as NDT's, but I disagree with making a blanket statement like everything he ever said was wrong.
Image Image
2018 WI State Champ

arebelspy

Post by arebelspy »

I figured common sense would indicate "Bill Nye's opinion on any subject [today]" not "Bill Nye's opinion on any subject [including stuff he said on a tv show for kids two decades ago]."

In other words, he was ranting about current Bill Nye being outspoken today, given--in Shawn's opinion--Bill's lack of credentials.

He wasn't ranting about Bill Nye's show from 20 years ago.

I mean, I think it's a dumb take, but I also wouldn't try to narrowly semantics it to dumb the way you are, but give it the benefit of the doubt.

mingtown

Post by mingtown »

arebelspy wrote:
July 18th, 2020, 12:37 pm
I figured common sense would indicate "Bill Nye's opinion on any subject [today]" not "Bill Nye's opinion on any subject [including stuff he said on a tv show for kids two decades ago]."

In other words, he was ranting about current Bill Nye being outspoken today, given--in Shawn's opinion--Bill's lack of credentials.

He wasn't ranting about Bill Nye's show from 20 years ago.

I mean, I think it's a dumb take, but I also wouldn't try to narrowly semantics it to dumb the way you are, but give it the benefit of the doubt.
I am to read this and not think he is referencing Bill Nye the Science Guy?
shawnd1984 wrote:
July 17th, 2020, 6:33 am
Fake TV science guy who somehow gets credibility.
Image Image
2018 WI State Champ

arebelspy

Post by arebelspy »

He was. He was just ranting about his popularity today making his opinions prominent.

He was not ranting about anything Bill said 20 years ago on a kid's show.

shawnd1984
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold
GEMP Username: Shawnd1984

Post by shawnd1984 »

arebelspy wrote:
July 18th, 2020, 2:21 pm
He was. He was just ranting about his popularity today making his opinions prominent.

Surprisingly this seems to haven't been my most controversial Irrational pet peeve and I can't understand why.
3MW0J8 wrote: "B-but... Muh Force drain bonuses!".

mr007agent

Post by mr007agent »

shawnd1984 wrote:
July 17th, 2020, 10:39 am
Aluminium vs. aluminum. Why the difference in spelling/pronunciation with regards to this element?! I will happily use whichever version is deemed to be the true one, but let's determine soon. Thank you.
The first is the British vernacular
Michael Richards
Rogue 84
PC Volunteer
Shadow 43 - Dantooine Flight Leader
http://omega.uta.edu/~mhr7680/dantooineswccg.html
-007-
ImageImage

arebelspy

Post by arebelspy »

shawnd1984 wrote:
July 19th, 2020, 4:49 pm
arebelspy wrote:

Surprisingly this seems to haven't been my most controversial Irrational pet peeve and I can't understand why.
I think people (reasonably) disagree with your "academic degrees = qualifications" equivalency, and think Nye could be qualified to talk science despite lack of MS+ in a scientific field. You clearly disagree. I think Nye holds reasonable opinions, e.g. his mask opinion that went viral a week or so ago (and maybe inspired your pet peeve?): https://www.reddit.com/r/* ... pinion_on/

JarJarDrinks

Post by JarJarDrinks »

shawnd1984 wrote:
arebelspy wrote:

not gonna lie. ur last 3 or 4 PPs have irrationally annoyed the F out of me. :???
dx_37 wrote:
October 2nd, 2019, 12:12 pm
I would be all for a reset if I get to be on the reset team
"Faith means making a virtue out of not thinking."
- Bill Maher

"How you play the game is important. But for me, it's about if you win or lose."
- Derek Jeter

shawnd1984
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold

Post by shawnd1984 »

JarJarDrinks wrote:
July 20th, 2020, 8:27 am
shawnd1984 wrote:
arebelspy wrote:

not gonna lie. ur last 3 or 4 PPs have irrationally annoyed the F out of me. :???
Triggered

shawnd1984
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold

Post by shawnd1984 »

arebelspy wrote:
July 20th, 2020, 1:04 am
shawnd1984 wrote:
arebelspy wrote:

I think people (reasonably) disagree with your "academic degrees = qualifications" equivalency, and think Nye could be qualified to talk science despite lack of MS+ in a scientific field. You clearly disagree. I think Nye holds reasonable opinions, e.g. his mask opinion that went viral a week or so ago (and maybe inspired your pet peeve?): https://www.reddit.com/r/*/comments/hp0 ... pinion_on/
Didn't see it. But that would annoy me that we're deferring to him.

shawnd1984
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold

Post by shawnd1984 »

I am tempted to have a whole branch of "spouse-based irrational pet peeves". Here's an example.

My wife has a bowl of cereal nightly (already irrationally annoying, cereal is trash), but holds a napkin while she eats, and wipes her mouth between EVERY SINGLE BITE. I wonder if Bill Nye can use his expertise to ascertain :lol:

marines28
GEMP Username: marines28

Post by marines28 »

To call ordering 67 items in a drive-thru for a total of $107 irrational would be a compliment...
Steviegets112 wrote:The same 5 people are going to win consistently and there really isn't much any of you can do about it.
3MW0J8 wrote:
xblack: from now on it will be
xblack: gl/hf/nr
better damn believe it.
DTartagOne wrote: Yeah I agree with @marines28

shawnd1984
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold

Post by shawnd1984 »

Unnecessary "Reply to All" on an email. Used a lot more now with working from home, seemingly to prove that the people are in fact at their desks doing work. The marriage equivalent of this is buying your wife tons of flowers and being really sweet because you're having an affair.

rhendon

Post by rhendon »

shawnd1984 wrote:
July 22nd, 2020, 9:57 am
Unnecessary "Reply to All" on an email. Used a lot more now with working from home, seemingly to prove that the people are in fact at their desks doing work. The marriage equivalent of this is buying your wife tons of flowers and being really sweet because you're having an affair.
You've already used this one.

Unnecessary repeating of previously stated pet peeves... :-D

shawnd1984
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold

Post by shawnd1984 »

rhendon wrote:
July 22nd, 2020, 12:32 pm
shawnd1984 wrote:
July 22nd, 2020, 9:57 am
You've already used this one.

Unnecessary repeating of previously stated pet peeves... :-D
Guess it happens a lot then!

Please create a tracker for future reference!

shawnd1984
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold

Post by shawnd1984 »

Online articles that give you tips to stay cool in the summer. Especially the "tip" about eating hot food because it makes you sweat, and thus cools you off. YOU SWEAT JUST BEING IN HOT WEATHER.

The winter version of these tips. How to avoid hangovers during New Years...DON'T DRINK LOLOLOLZ;FJASD;LKFJADS;LKFJ :mad:

rhendon

Post by rhendon »

shawnd1984 wrote:
July 28th, 2020, 8:18 am
Online articles that give you tips to stay cool in the summer. Especially the "tip" about eating hot food because it makes you sweat, and thus cools you off. YOU SWEAT JUST BEING IN HOT WEATHER.

The winter version of these tips. How to avoid hangovers during New Years...DON'T DRINK LOLOLOLZ;FJASD;LKFJADS;LKFJ :mad:
They stopped giving tips in Texas years ago. I guess they got tired of the response "Its Texas. Its hot. Get used to it".

It hasn't gotten really cold in Texas since the Astros won the pennant.

DS-61-4

Post by DS-61-4 »

rhendon wrote:
July 28th, 2020, 9:30 am
shawnd1984 wrote:
July 28th, 2020, 8:18 am

They stopped giving tips in Texas years ago. I guess they got tired of the response "Its Texas. Its hot. Get used to it".

It hasn't gotten really cold in Texas since the Astros won the pennant.
Not sure if it's irrational, but everything about that whole state is a pet peeve of mine.

Return to “Off Topic”