Irrational Pet Peeves? List em here!

arebelspy

Re: Irrational Pet Peeves? List em here!

Post by arebelspy »

This is news to you guys?

rhendon

Post by rhendon »

arebelspy wrote:
September 14th, 2020, 9:37 am
I mean I thought Hunter was well traveled.

All those SWCCG events that he traveled to while building up his #1 ranking by playing and beating the best in the world...

shawnd1984
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold
GEMP Username: Shawnd1984

Post by shawnd1984 »

Definitely more rational...

Online signups where there is an error, but it's not specified.

Case in point, and unsurprising, Pennsylvania's Department of Transportation EZ Pass sign up site.
3MW0J8 wrote: "B-but... Muh Force drain bonuses!".

quickdraw3457
Multimedia and Special Projects Advocate
GEMP Username: quickdraw

Post by quickdraw3457 »

shawnd1984 wrote:
September 14th, 2020, 10:05 am
Definitely more rational...

Online signups where there is an error, but it's not specified.

Case in point, and unsurprising, Pennsylvania's Department of Transportation EZ Pass sign up site.
I just did this a few weeks ago in minutes, totally painless, no errors. Maybe it's you ;) :lol:
Matt C. - Pittsburgh, PA
Hunter wrote:quickdraw is right

mr007agent

Post by mr007agent »

Hunter wrote:
September 12th, 2020, 6:52 pm
quickdraw3457 wrote:
September 12th, 2020, 8:18 am
Hunter wrote:
September 12th, 2020, 4:45 am
The debate looks to have been decisively resolved though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fyukxLcdUWY
(Warning: Video has at least 1 naughty word, so would not be SFW for some)
You're right, it is. 1981 toys commercials, Lego star wars, and jj Abrams films are all not star wars Canon, so it remains A.T.A.T.
Definitely don't care that JJ Abrams said At-At and not A.T.A.T. That doesn't count for anything.
Lego Star Wars stuff is only a slight step up from that, as would be a character saying "At-At" in some modern Star Wars video game nobody was paying attention to.
The 1981 toy commercial, though, is *pretty* strong evidence. Lucas had his hands into everything related to the Star Wars merchandise, at that point. He probably had more careful oversight of the toy empire than he did of the movie we call "Empire." And if he thought it should be pronounced "Ay-Tee Ay-Tee" instead of "At-At" then I just don't see how that commercial gets made.
Seems pretty damning that you neglect to even mention the decree from LucasFilm. You know, the one that said "the official pronunciation" is the one I've always used. That doesn't get released without someone checking with someone first.

I don't really need to say anything more, as the point is proven. But I *can* say more, anyway!

From an "inside the fictional universe" perspective, why would the Snowtroopers or At-At Pilots ever be saying "Ay-Tee Ay-Tee" when that's so awkward for the mouth? There's no way they would be doing that. They would definitely call them "At-Ats" just like military organizations always pronounce any abbreviation they think they can come anywhere close to pronouncing as a word instead of an initialization.

Lastly, for anyone who wants to say "A.T.A.T." how in THE HELL do you explain the presence of the hyphen??? The name of the vehicle is All Terrain Armored Transport. If you were going to put a hyphen anywhere in that name, it would be to make it All-Terrain. There's no way you would ever put a hyphen between Terrain and Armored. So why is it an AT-AT and not an ATAT? The presence of that hyphen tells you there is a ZERO percent chance that whoever put it there was walking around saying "A.T.A.T." I guarandamntee you that whoever put that hyphen in that name thought "At At" every time they looked at it or thought about it. And when things like the AT-ST were thought up LATER, the hyphen was kept only as part of the already-established naming convention, even though it was now superfluous. Having AT-ATs and ATSTs is aesthetically unpleasing, so you keep the hyphen in AT-ST even though it no longer serves the purpose it had in AT-AT. I would wager that this is how it happened. But even if I'm wrong about something somewhere, I'm not wrong that whoever put the hyphen in the name called it an "At At" and I'm not wrong that LucasFilm has told us that is THE official pronunciation.
Did you know Lucas says light sword and Han(d) for Han. WTH? I'm pretty sure Lucas doesn't know anything about Star Wars.
Michael Richards
Rogue 84
PC Volunteer
Shadow 43 - Dantooine Flight Leader
http://omega.uta.edu/~mhr7680/dantooineswccg.html
-007-
ImageImage

DS-61-4

Post by DS-61-4 »

Not to mention he made Episode I and II, so he clearly lost his mind at some point.

Shadow 13
GEMP Username: shadow13

Post by Shadow 13 »

rhendon wrote:
September 14th, 2020, 10:00 am
arebelspy wrote:
September 14th, 2020, 9:37 am
I mean I thought Hunter was well traveled.

All those SWCCG events that he traveled to while building up his #1 ranking by playing and beating the best in the world...
ryan french
rebel strike team founder
two-time washington state champion
rhendon wrote:why not just elect a puppy as president, or mikefrench.

Hunter
World Champion
World Champion

Post by Hunter »

Oh yes, what rhendon said definitely checks out. Quite an understatement though, wouldn't you say?
I've been to 42 of the 50 US States. Been to 36 different states for SWCCG purposes.

There was a stretch in the early 2000s where I was going to basically every major event there was. Nobody was logging more miles to play SWCCG than I was (a mantle I would later pass to one Brian Herold. Hopefully he has since passed it on to another Brian.) I took on all contenders, in all places, and as rhendon alludes to, that rating just built, and built, AND built. For a couple of years there, it seemed like there wasn't anything for anyone to talk about with regard to non-Worlds major events, but me. What I played, who I faced, and whether anyone had managed to find a way to take a game off of me. For that entire two years, I WAS the major event scene. Prompting the Tournament Advocate to state that "Through sheer force of will, Brian Hunter has singlehandedly carried this dying game on his back."

Yeah. It checks out.

Hunter
World Champion
World Champion

Post by Hunter »

darkjediknight11 wrote:
September 14th, 2020, 9:18 am
quickdraw3457 wrote:
September 12th, 2020, 8:18 am
Hunter wrote:
September 12th, 2020, 4:45 am
Okay, I'll reiterate that I don't remember hearing anyone ever say "Ay-Tee Ay-Tee"
You don't get out much, do you?
I get out with people who already knew how to pronounce At-At, without needing the video to correct them.
*Yawn, shrug*

arebelspy

Post by arebelspy »

As the saying goes, "if you're bragging about what you did last week, you've done nothing this week."

But I mean, you'll probably come back and say "Well, it doesn't say 'if you're bragging about what you did two decades ago, you've done nothing this decade,' so it's not relevant!"

;)

Hunter
World Champion
World Champion

Post by Hunter »

arebelspy wrote:
September 15th, 2020, 12:41 am
As the saying goes, "if you're bragging about what you did last week, you've done nothing this week."
Anyone using that saying will never be able to do what the other person did last week.

Jedicon
Anthology
Anthology

Post by Jedicon »

arebelspy wrote:
September 12th, 2020, 9:57 am
arebelspy wrote:What about at-st? At-rt?
I'd appreciate if that people who say at at (not a t a t) let me know how they pronounce these two
Have we gotten a response on this yet?

JarJarDrinks

Post by JarJarDrinks »

Jedicon wrote:
September 15th, 2020, 1:49 am
arebelspy wrote:
September 12th, 2020, 9:57 am
arebelspy wrote:What about at-st? At-rt?
I'd appreciate if that people who say at at (not a t a t) let me know how they pronounce these two
Have we gotten a response on this yet?
at street

at retweet
dx_37 wrote:
October 2nd, 2019, 12:12 pm
I would be all for a reset if I get to be on the reset team
"Faith means making a virtue out of not thinking."
- Bill Maher

"How you play the game is important. But for me, it's about if you win or lose."
- Derek Jeter

rhendon

Post by rhendon »

Hunter wrote:
September 15th, 2020, 12:14 am
Oh yes, what rhendon said definitely checks out. Quite an understatement though, wouldn't you say?
I've been to 42 of the 50 US States. Been to 36 different states for SWCCG purposes.

There was a stretch in the early 2000s where I was going to basically every major event there was. Nobody was logging more miles to play SWCCG than I was (a mantle I would later pass to one Brian Herold. Hopefully he has since passed it on to another Brian.) I took on all contenders, in all places, and as rhendon alludes to, that rating just built, and built, AND built. For a couple of years there, it seemed like there wasn't anything for anyone to talk about with regard to non-Worlds major events, but me. What I played, who I faced, and whether anyone had managed to find a way to take a game off of me. For that entire two years, I WAS the major event scene. Prompting the Tournament Advocate to state that "Through sheer force of will, Brian Hunter has singlehandedly carried this dying game on his back."

Yeah. It checks out.
Guess I should have been more clear, I should have said building up TO his #1 rating. So late 90s rather than early 2000s. As that is what the joke was about.

But yes, after 2002ish, I don't think there was a person more traveled for SWCCG than Hunter.

I do think the title Brian Herold held has been passed onto Brian Fred. There aren't many, if any, majors in the US that Brian Fred hasn't been to in the last few years.

Hunter
World Champion
World Champion

Post by Hunter »

I did think of Brian Fred, when I said that bit about hoping that Herold had passed the mantle along to a third Brian. I just wasn't sure if Fred would qualify.
So this news warms my heart.

shawnd1984
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold

Post by shawnd1984 »

With regards to online files...having a space for last names that start with "Mc".

Extra annoying, we have a last name McCandless that is listed as "McCandless" AND "Mc Candless" in the same online files. Why the space?

shawnd1984
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold

Post by shawnd1984 »

When you are trying to cross a busy street, and you successfully "time" a car passing you, a lot like in the old game Frogger. You attempt to cross, anticipating the speed of the oncoming car will safely pass you by, and you will successfully cross the street. THEN THE DRIVER STOPS IN FRONT OF YOU AND THEN YOU HAVE TO RUN ACROSS AND YOUR RHYTHM IS RUINED.

Irrational because Pittsburgh quietly has a very high rate of pedestrian related traffic incidents.

Corran
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold
GEMP Username: corran

Post by Corran »

I say Ey tee ey tee and Execute-er.
Check out Bad Deck Breakdowns, a Star Wars CCG Deckbuilding podcast, on the podcatcher of your choice or https://www.kendallcast.ninja
dvphimself wrote: https://www.twitch.tv/kendallcastnetwork/ is my favourite SWCCG channel.
seitaer wrote: Corran's streams are great, even if he likes the last jedi

lithy
Booster Pack
Booster Pack

Post by lithy »

shawnd1984 wrote:
September 15th, 2020, 2:17 pm
When you are trying to cross a busy street, and you successfully "time" a car passing you, a lot like in the old game Frogger. You attempt to cross, anticipating the speed of the oncoming car will safely pass you by, and you will successfully cross the street. THEN THE DRIVER STOPS IN FRONT OF YOU AND THEN YOU HAVE TO RUN ACROSS AND YOUR RHYTHM IS RUINED.

Irrational because Pittsburgh quietly has a very high rate of pedestrian related traffic incidents.
Pittsburgh drivers are terrible. Criticism of them is never irrational.

rsersen
Booster Box
Booster Box
GEMP Username: rsersen

Post by rsersen »

Is there a city/area known for their good drivers?
arebelspy wrote:
May 13th, 2020, 10:16 pm
Agree with Ryan.

Return to “Off Topic”