Old Men Yell At Clouds (Formerly: Irrational Pet Peeves)

arebelspy
World Champion
World Champion

Re: Irrational Pet Peeves? List em here!

Post by arebelspy »

quickdraw3457 wrote:
shawnd1984 wrote:
January 9th, 2021, 5:31 pm
Non Italian cheese names that aren't Italian bother me. Cheddar (gross), havarti (gross), Muenster (gag).
So... are you saying you don't like any cheese unless it is Italian and has an Italian name?
What he's saying is that he thinks swiss cheese is no gouda.

shawnd1984
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold
GEMP Username: Shawnd1984

Post by shawnd1984 »

quickdraw3457 wrote:
January 9th, 2021, 10:26 pm
shawnd1984 wrote:
Non Italian cheese names that aren't Italian bother me. Cheddar (gross), havarti (gross), Muenster (gag).
So... are you saying you don't like any cheese unless it is Italian and has an Italian name?
Mostly correct. Don't really care for most cheese. But Italian cheese seems to be exempt.
3MW0J8 wrote: "B-but... Muh Force drain bonuses!".

quickdraw3457
Multimedia and Special Projects Advocate
GEMP Username: quickdraw

Post by quickdraw3457 »

shawnd1984 wrote:
January 10th, 2021, 6:36 am
quickdraw3457 wrote:
shawnd1984 wrote:
Mostly correct. Don't really care for most cheese. But Italian cheese seems to be exempt.
It's very hard for me to find a cheese I don't like, period. Some exist, but they're the exception.
Matt C. - Pittsburgh, PA
multimedia@starwarsccg.org
Hunter wrote:quickdraw is right

shawnd1984
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold

Post by shawnd1984 »

quickdraw3457 wrote:
January 10th, 2021, 11:43 pm
shawnd1984 wrote:
January 10th, 2021, 6:36 am
quickdraw3457 wrote:
shawnd1984 wrote:
It's very hard for me to find a cheese I don't like, period. Some exist, but they're the exception.
Roughly speaking, I dislike any cheese that would stick to the wall when thrown against it. Pecorino, parmesan etc...these don't stick, they're dry.
Buffalo mozzarella, too supple, won't stick either. I like both. Although this reminds me of an italian cheese i dont' care for, provolone.

shawnd1984
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold

Post by shawnd1984 »

People that recommend books/movies based ONLY on what THEY like, without factoring the person receiving the recommendation.

Example: I love the movie American Psycho, but wouldn't recommend it.

Most egregious real life example, my 35 year old male friend asking for a book recommendation and getting legitimate recommendations for 50 Shades of Grey.

shawnd1984
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold

Post by shawnd1984 »

In football, the ends of the offensive line are called "tackles", which makes no sense considering tackling a defensive player is a penalty. Guard makes sense. Why are they called tackles?

quickdraw3457

Post by quickdraw3457 »

shawnd1984 wrote:
January 13th, 2021, 7:52 am
In football, the ends of the offensive line are called "tackles", which makes no sense considering tackling a defensive player is a penalty. Guard makes sense. Why are they called tackles?
I was actually wondering this same thing a few days ago. It's like they got bored when naming positions. Maybe the guys on the end used to just have to tackle the guys running in from the outside before they invented holding?
Matt C. - Pittsburgh, PA

shawnd1984
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold

Post by shawnd1984 »

quickdraw3457 wrote:
January 13th, 2021, 8:22 am
shawnd1984 wrote:
I was actually wondering this same thing a few days ago. It's like they got bored when naming positions. Maybe the guys on the end used to just have to tackle the guys running in from the outside before they invented holding?
Offensive end right?

I guess quarterback, half back and fullback doesn't make a ton of sense either. The fact that the fullback is between the quarter and half back shows an ignorance on fractions.

Hunter
World Champion
World Champion

Post by Hunter »

shawnd1984 wrote:
In earlier times, defenses ran a lot of 5-2 formations. And guys played both sides of the ball. So it was easy to have the 5 defensive linemen play in the same slots on the offensive line. The 3 interior defensive linemen ("nose guard" type of position) didn't make the majority of the tackles. The 2 guys on the edge made more tackles, so they began to be called "Tackles." And those were the two guys who played the outside position on the o-line too. Hence, Offensive Tackles.

Over time, the two edge guys for the D-Line came to be called "Defensive Ends" and the interior linemen became the Defensive Tackles. Even the Nose Guard position, which gave rise to the term "Nose Tackle." But offensive Guards and Tackles stuck with their earlier names, in order to ensure that there wouldn't be consistency (at least, I assume this must have been the reason).
I guess quarterback, half back and fullback doesn't make a ton of sense either. The fact that the fullback is between the quarter and half back shows an ignorance on fractions.
Well, it USED to make sense. The quarterback was nearest the line of scrimmage, and the fullback was the furthest back. The halfback (or halfbackS, since a lot of formations used 2 halfbacks plus a fullback, with 2 tight ends and no wideouts) was further back than the QB, but not as far back as the FB. So everything's great, right?

The fullback was often your main ball-carrier, while the other guys in the backfield (including the quarterback) blocked for him. So guys like Jim Brown were designated as "fullbacks" even though they were the primary rushers for their team, and rarely blocked for other runners.

Over time, formations changed and the way the different roles were utilized changed too. The fullback and halfback swapped spots on the field, and so halfbacks began to become known as "tailbacks."

Now, IN MY OPINION, once the term "tailback" came along, the term "halfback" should have been retired. And the fullback should have been renamed to "blocking back" (or some such) and the term "fullback" should have been retired too.

But none of that happened. The term "halfback" refused to die, and the fullback continued to be called the fullback, even though he wasn't the one in the back anymore.

All this halfback/fullback/tailback stuff I knew and remembered. The stuff about Tackles I had learned before, but I needed a Google refresher course. This has been Foosball Talk with HuntaWarya. Continue to join us Wednesdays at 9:30 for all your Foosball knowledge needs!

quesosauce37
LS Region: Tatooine
LS Region: Tatooine
GEMP Username: quesosauce

Post by quesosauce37 »

Jerry H

Image Image

shawnd1984
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold

Post by shawnd1984 »

Hunter wrote:
January 13th, 2021, 11:48 pm
shawnd1984 wrote:
In earlier times, defenses ran a lot of 5-2 formations. And guys played both sides of the ball. So it was easy to have the 5 defensive linemen play in the same slots on the offensive line. The 3 interior defensive linemen ("nose guard" type of position) didn't make the majority of the tackles. The 2 guys on the edge made more tackles, so they began to be called "Tackles." And those were the two guys who played the outside position on the o-line too. Hence, Offensive Tackles.

Over time, the two edge guys for the D-Line came to be called "Defensive Ends" and the interior linemen became the Defensive Tackles. Even the Nose Guard position, which gave rise to the term "Nose Tackle." But offensive Guards and Tackles stuck with their earlier names, in order to ensure that there wouldn't be consistency (at least, I assume this must have been the reason).
Well, it USED to make sense. The quarterback was nearest the line of scrimmage, and the fullback was the furthest back. The halfback (or halfbackS, since a lot of formations used 2 halfbacks plus a fullback, with 2 tight ends and no wideouts) was further back than the QB, but not as far back as the FB. So everything's great, right?

The fullback was often your main ball-carrier, while the other guys in the backfield (including the quarterback) blocked for him. So guys like Jim Brown were designated as "fullbacks" even though they were the primary rushers for their team, and rarely blocked for other runners.

Over time, formations changed and the way the different roles were utilized changed too. The fullback and halfback swapped spots on the field, and so halfbacks began to become known as "tailbacks."

Now, IN MY OPINION, once the term "tailback" came along, the term "halfback" should have been retired. And the fullback should have been renamed to "blocking back" (or some such) and the term "fullback" should have been retired too.

But none of that happened. The term "halfback" refused to die, and the fullback continued to be called the fullback, even though he wasn't the one in the back anymore.

All this halfback/fullback/tailback stuff I knew and remembered. The stuff about Tackles I had learned before, but I needed a Google refresher course. This has been Foosball Talk with HuntaWarya. Continue to join us Wednesdays at 9:30 for all your Foosball knowledge needs!
Guess this is more than I could've asked for. This pet peeve is now.... RESOLVED

quickdraw3457

Post by quickdraw3457 »

Hunter wrote:
This has been Foosball Talk with HuntaWarya. Continue to join us Wednesdays at 9:30 for all your Foosball knowledge needs!
What's your take on Josh Allen and Josh Rosen? :popcrn:
Matt C. - Pittsburgh, PA

Jnapolit31
GEMP Username: jnapolit31

Post by Jnapolit31 »

shawnd1984 wrote:
January 11th, 2021, 7:03 am
Although this reminds me of an italian cheese i dont' care for, provolone.
We can’t be friends. Prov is the best. Goes on every Italian hoagie or cheesesteak I eat.
Follow the PC on Twitter @swccg
Subscribe to the PC on YouTube.com/c/StarWarsCCG
Follow me on twitch.tv/JNap31

ImageImage
Spoiler
Show
Majors Performance-All players since Sep'14: tinyurl.com/SWCCGmajorResults
PC Foil+AI Slip Checklist: tinyurl.com/PCslipsChecklist

mingtown
GEMP Username: mingtown

Post by mingtown »

Jnapolit31 wrote:
January 14th, 2021, 11:10 am
shawnd1984 wrote:
We can’t be friends. Prov is the best. Goes on every Italian hoagie or cheesesteak I eat.
#TeamProvolone
Image Image
2018 WI State Champ
2019 MPC Consolation Top 4

arebelspy
World Champion
World Champion

Post by arebelspy »

quickdraw3457 wrote:
Hunter wrote:
This has been Foosball Talk with HuntaWarya. Continue to join us Wednesdays at 9:30 for all your Foosball knowledge needs!
What's your take on Josh Allen and Josh Rosen? :popcrn:

I had restrained myself.

I wonder at what point it'll be beating a dead horse?

Pro bowl? Oops. MVP? Hall of Fame?

I'm clearly talking about Rosen, of course.

shawnd1984
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold

Post by shawnd1984 »

Jnapolit31 wrote:
shawnd1984 wrote:
Lest my ears deceive me, I hear cheese whiz is also a popular cheesesteak item? I find this so grotesquely offensive.

imrahil327
Tournament Advocate

Post by imrahil327 »

Jnapolit31 wrote:
shawnd1984 wrote:
Best sandwich I've ever had included a nice sharp provolone on it.
Hunter wrote:Sebulba's W-L record is like...Always and 1. Tebow's is nowhere near that percentage.
allstarz97, about M:TG wrote:I feel like Michael Jordan playing baseball.

quickdraw3457

Post by quickdraw3457 »

imrahil327 wrote:
January 14th, 2021, 3:25 pm
Jnapolit31 wrote:
shawnd1984 wrote:
Best sandwich I've ever had included a nice sharp provolone on it.
primantis.PNG
primantis.PNG (243.64 KiB) Viewed 134 times
primantis.PNG
primantis.PNG (243.64 KiB) Viewed 134 times
Matt C. - Pittsburgh, PA

imrahil327
Tournament Advocate

Post by imrahil327 »

Primanti's is top 5 for sure, although it was not the one I was thinking of. Probably going to anger you by mentioning that it was from the OTHER big city in your state :lol:
Hunter wrote:Sebulba's W-L record is like...Always and 1. Tebow's is nowhere near that percentage.
allstarz97, about M:TG wrote:I feel like Michael Jordan playing baseball.

TacoBill

Post by TacoBill »

My guess is Tony Luke's or Carmen's.

Primanti's is garbage. Sides don't go on sandwiches.

Also that picture is just a French Fry sandwich? wtf is that?
Last edited by TacoBill on January 14th, 2021, 3:56 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Bill Kafer
Cam Solusar wrote:What TacoBill proposes is ideal IMO.
Corran wrote:Honestly, Tacobill should just be the boss of SWCCG.

Return to “Off Topic”