Old Men Yell At Clouds (Formerly: Irrational Pet Peeves)

arebelspy
World Champion
World Champion

Re: Irrational Pet Peeves? List em here!

Post by arebelspy »

shawnd1984 wrote:Seeing this creep up on the forums lately, and not judging anyone, but the 'it's a feature, not a bug' phrase annoys me.
It annoying you is a feature, not a bug.

shawnd1984
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold
GEMP Username: Shawnd1984

Post by shawnd1984 »

arebelspy wrote:
January 21st, 2021, 3:55 pm
shawnd1984 wrote:Seeing this creep up on the forums lately, and not judging anyone, but the 'it's a feature, not a bug' phrase annoys me.
It annoying you is a feature, not a bug.
I legitimately laughed out loud at this reply.

Which reminds me...i have to see if i stated another pet peeve, incoming...
3MW0J8 wrote: "B-but... Muh Force drain bonuses!".

shawnd1984
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold

Post by shawnd1984 »

Well, turns out the LOL phrase is too common in this thread, therefore i couldn't confirm if i said this one yet:

When people reply "Lol" and you know for a fact that they didn't laugh out loud. It doesn't bother me if it's just stating something, but rather used as a reply.

The Franchise
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold

Post by The Franchise »

shawnd1984 wrote:
January 21st, 2021, 3:58 pm
Well, turns out the LOL phrase is too common in this thread, therefore i couldn't confirm if i said this one yet:

When people reply "Lol" and you know for a fact that they didn't laugh out loud. It doesn't bother me if it's just stating something, but rather used as a reply.
to piggy back on this (hopefully hijacking posts isnt a pet peeve of yours), the ROFL (rolling on floor laughing) thing is also egregious - has anyone, literally ever, actually found something so funny they got down on the floor and started rolling around laughing? maybe a small child perhaps? but they would likely be unable to type it on a forum online

shawnd1984
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold

Post by shawnd1984 »

The Franchise wrote:
January 21st, 2021, 4:36 pm
shawnd1984 wrote:
January 21st, 2021, 3:58 pm

to piggy back on this (hopefully hijacking posts isnt a pet peeve of yours), the ROFL (rolling on floor laughing) thing is also egregious - has anyone, literally ever, actually found something so funny they got down on the floor and started rolling around laughing? maybe a small child perhaps? but they would likely be unable to type it on a forum online
Good call. I do recall once rolling on the floor while laughing hysterically when I was maybe 10 or so. It was a scene from Ace Ventura 2 When Nature Calls (no, not that rhino scene, which really holds up as hilarious by the way). When Ace punches out the guy who looks like the Monopoly man and proceeds to "wear" him like a fur coat. Hardest I've ever laughed.

Corran
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold
GEMP Username: corran

Post by Corran »

shawnd1984 wrote:
January 21st, 2021, 3:35 pm
The media's propensity towards the term "Under fire" for stuff that no one really cares about but a few people with no real problems belly ache about it on social media.
Which creates a cycle of people pretending to be edgy by becoming overly defensive, yeah agreed. This particularly annoys me when comedians who aren't funny complain about not being able to tell hateful jokes any more.
Check out Bad Deck Breakdowns, a Star Wars CCG Deckbuilding podcast, on the podcatcher of your choice or https://www.kendallcast.ninja
dvphimself wrote: https://www.twitch.tv/kendallcastnetwork/ is my favourite SWCCG channel.
ashnolo wrote: I'm using OCS to prepare for Kendall in Corellia League play

shawnd1984
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold

Post by shawnd1984 »

When you have a rough day but take time to hug and kiss your baby, but then they just push you away because F your feelings :lol:

arebelspy
World Champion
World Champion

Post by arebelspy »

Recent Dinosaur Comics reminded me of this thread's recent discussion of 3 little pigs: https://qwantz.com/index.php?comic=3696

A much better, though more nihilistic, version IMO. Image

imrahil327
Tournament Advocate

Post by imrahil327 »

arebelspy wrote:
January 22nd, 2021, 10:20 am
Recent Dinosaur Comics reminded me of this thread's recent discussion of 3 little pigs: https://qwantz.com/index.php?comic=3696

A much better, though more nihilistic, version IMO. Image
Whew, this is a mood
Hunter wrote:Sebulba's W-L record is like...Always and 1. Tebow's is nowhere near that percentage.
allstarz97, about M:TG wrote:I feel like Michael Jordan playing baseball.

DS-61-4

Post by DS-61-4 »

Great comic. Reminds me of one of my pet peeves: using the word entropy outside of thermodynamic contexts. Yes, I know dictionaries now have a secondary definition as "disorder" but that is a poor interpretation of what entropy is.

The word decimate bothers me too - it should mean "reduce by a tenth" but it no longer means that.

arebelspy
World Champion
World Champion

Post by arebelspy »

Why does the meaning of words changing over time bother you?

Decimate would be a way less useful word, and we'd have to have a different word that means what decimate means now.

Entropy as a concept can be thought of several ways, but one of my favorites is thinking about it as time. There isn't time without entropy, and vice-versa.

Another one of my favorites is thinking about entropy as it relates to ethics.

IMO, one's goal should be to reduce entropy on a local level (obviously there can't be an reduction in entropy overall).

Entropy is a useful concept in many different aspects, limiting it to thermodynamics makes it so niche.

shawnd1984
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold

Post by shawnd1984 »

2021 Tom Brady hate. I don't watch football anymore, so this may not exist. But it's Tom Brady, so probably.

quesosauce37
LS Region: Tatooine
LS Region: Tatooine
GEMP Username: quesosauce

Post by quesosauce37 »

shawnd1984 wrote:
January 24th, 2021, 11:54 am
2021 Tom Brady hate. I don't watch football anymore, so this may not exist. But it's Tom Brady, so probably.

my irrational pet peeve is the lost city of atlantis, im not sure it even exists, but its atlantis, so probably
Jerry H

Image Image

shawnd1984
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold

Post by shawnd1984 »

quesosauce37 wrote:
January 24th, 2021, 11:58 am
shawnd1984 wrote:

my irrational pet peeve is the lost city of atlantis, im not sure it even exists, but its atlantis, so probably
Clarification, do people that hated Brady on the Patriots still hate him now? I'm guessing yes.

shawnd1984
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold

Post by shawnd1984 »

shawnd1984 wrote:
January 24th, 2021, 12:54 pm
quesosauce37 wrote:
shawnd1984 wrote:

Clarification, do people that hated Brady on the Patriots still hate him now? I'm guessing yes.
A common Tom Brady hate point is that Bill Belichick was the true talent of the Patriots Dynasty, but the 2021 evidence seems to indicate that maybe that claim wasn't accurate.

mingtown
GEMP Username: mingtown

Post by mingtown »

shawnd1984 wrote:
quesosauce37 wrote:
shawnd1984 wrote:

Yep.

* Tom Brady and all his TB12 pseudoscience *.
Image Image
2018 WI State Champ
2019 MPC Consolation Top 4

shawnd1984
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold

Post by shawnd1984 »

mingtown wrote:
January 24th, 2021, 2:50 pm
shawnd1984 wrote:
quesosauce37 wrote:
shawnd1984 wrote:

Yep.

Bump.

mingtown
GEMP Username: mingtown

Post by mingtown »

shawnd1984 wrote:
January 24th, 2021, 6:11 pm
mingtown wrote:
January 24th, 2021, 2:50 pm
Yep.

Bump.
Here are a few articles on TB12:

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2020/ ... nk-science

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/to ... ce-advice/

https://www.businessinsider.com/science ... iet-2018-1

Choice quote: "In the book Brady attributes his freakish longevity and durability to the pseudoscientific concept of “muscle pliability”, a loosely defined concept invented by his “body coach” turned business partner Alex Guerrero, a controversial self-taught exercise guru who has twice been investigated by the Federal Trade Commission – first in 2005 for falsely passing himself off as a doctor and claiming to be able to cure cancer, Aids, multiple sclerosis and Parkinson’s disease with a dietary supplement called Supreme Greens, then seven years later for a sports drink called NeuroSafe (infamously endorsed by Brady), which he promised could prevent concussions."
Image Image
2018 WI State Champ
2019 MPC Consolation Top 4

DS-61-4

Post by DS-61-4 »

arebelspy wrote:
January 24th, 2021, 11:23 am
Why does the meaning of words changing over time bother you?

Decimate would be a way less useful word, and we'd have to have a different word that means what decimate means now.

Entropy as a concept can be thought of several ways, but one of my favorites is thinking about it as time. There isn't time without entropy, and vice-versa.

Another one of my favorites is thinking about entropy as it relates to ethics.

IMO, one's goal should be to reduce entropy on a local level (obviously there can't be an reduction in entropy overall).

Entropy is a useful concept in many different aspects, limiting it to thermodynamics makes it so niche.
Yes, when words change their meaning (a very interesting and natural evolutionary process in language). it bugs me. Your arguments are valid, hence why it's an irrational pet peeve.

I am curious about what you mean in regards to ethics. Are you saying there should be a moral goal to minimize overall reduction of energy quality?

That is an interesting idea, and while I can see there would be many side benefits of efficiency, I don't see the point of the end goal. If our futuristic AI rulers were given a goal of minimizing entropy generation, I don't feel like their actions may necessarily be in the best interests of humanity.

shawnd1984
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold

Post by shawnd1984 »

When you order takeout on the phone and they'll ask you for your name. Theres a split second of confusion where you wonder if giving your last name is too much info.

Return to “Off Topic”