Irrational Pet Peeves? List em here!

puck71
GEMP Username: puck71

Re: Irrational Pet Peeves? List em here!

Post by puck71 »

Cam Solusar wrote:People pluralizing "Jedi" and "Pokemon" as "Jedis" and "Pokemons."
I think you mean Pokemans.

John Anderson
Proofing, Tournament Committee, GEMP Team

imrahil327
Tournament Advocate

Post by imrahil327 »

Cam Solusar wrote:People pluralizing "Jedi" and "Pokemon" as "Jedis" and "Pokemons."
Irrational ones only, please.
Hunter wrote:Sebulba's W-L record is like...Always and 1. Tebow's is nowhere near that percentage.
allstarz97, about M:TG wrote:I feel like Michael Jordan playing baseball.

Darth_Link
World Champion
World Champion

Post by Darth_Link »

Is it Jedies and Pokemonies?
Emil W. Sweden
ImageImage

vhstapes

Post by vhstapes »

puck71 wrote:
Damn, beat me to it!
-Cyrus M.
\m/ Endor Region \m/

Data Tapes - 05 - The Unofficial NARP Defensive Shield Primer

mrfahrenheit7
DS Region: Endor
DS Region: Endor
GEMP Username: mjturner

Re: RE: Re: Irrational Pet Peeves? List em here!

Post by mrfahrenheit7 »

puck71 wrote:
Pokemen?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Mike Turner - 2017 & 2018 Montana State Champion, 2018 Washington State Champion
Hunter wrote:Someone just outhookied thehooky.
TacoBill wrote:Your game plan is to lose the AC? Seems questionable

quickdraw3457
Multimedia and Special Projects Advocate
GEMP Username: quickdraw

Post by quickdraw3457 »

mrfahrenheit7 wrote:
puck71 wrote:
Pokemen?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Pokewomen?
Matt C. - Pittsburgh, PA
Hunter wrote:quickdraw is right

Nitsuj
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold

Post by Nitsuj »

3MW0J8 wrote:Transposition of the Reserve deck and Force pile.
LOL! I think both Nate and I did this, and I remember you commenting on it back in the day.
Justin Stratton, Northeast Ohio

Play SWCCG online at GEMP

laforge27
Holotable username: laforge27
GEMP Username: laforge27

Post by laforge27 »

That stupid warning the populates on Android phones when you try to either turn the volume up "too high" or set the brightness "too bright". Thanks for being so concerned about our hearing and/or eyesight, but we're all adults here and can blow our eardrums out if we want....
(ps. I'm assuming somebody sued Android for making them go deaf by allowing them to turn the volume up to the max setting, ergo the lovely warnings now.)

vhstapes

Post by vhstapes »

laforge27 wrote:That stupid warning the populates on Android phones when you try to either turn the volume up "too high" or set the brightness "too bright". Thanks for being so concerned about our hearing and/or eyesight, but we're all adults here and can blow our eardrums out if we want....
(ps. I'm assuming somebody sued Android for making them go deaf by allowing them to turn the volume up to the max setting, ergo the lovely warnings now.)
The worst part is that they don't even get loud enough for me. I miss the ipod classic, those things could really crank out some sound. I didn't buy huge ass studio quality headphones to listen to bands at minimal volume, damn it!
-Cyrus M.
\m/ Endor Region \m/

rsersen
Booster Box
Booster Box
GEMP Username: rsersen

Post by rsersen »

vhstapes wrote:
sjacree wrote:People placing characters underneath a vehicle or starship to indicate that they are inside?
The opposite of this really irks me lol. I'm pretty sure it's in the rules as ship goes on top, characters go underneath, and it makes sense from a "what you'd see at the location" perspective. If you were in a ship at a system, you'd see the other ships, not what pilots are in them.
I actually looked in the AR and beginner's rulebook but couldn't find any specific requirements on how cards should be arranged on the table (aside from location deployment and order). But yeah, that's always how I've played, and how I think it should be played, even if it's not written anywhere. Pilots/passengers go under blue cards, weapons and devices go under the card they're deployed on.

Related irrational pet peeve: watching a sloppy game of SWCCG. So many live streams of major tournament matches where the board just looks like chaos. Weapons on top of characters, pilots/passengers freely floating in space, sites deployed vertically, random locations like JCC or Blockade Bridge sitting in a different corner of the table. And worst of all, effects, shields, objectives, and AOs just strewn all over the place with no rhyme or reason.

I get that some of these (like vertical sites, or non-BGs off to the side) are necessary when table space is limited. But a lot of it is just not caring. Which is absolutely fine if both players can still follow what's going on. It's just personally difficult to watch.
arebelspy wrote:
May 13th, 2020, 10:16 pm
Agree with Ryan.

vhstapes

Post by vhstapes »

rsersen wrote:
vhstapes wrote:
sjacree wrote:People placing characters underneath a vehicle or starship to indicate that they are inside?
The opposite of this really irks me lol. I'm pretty sure it's in the rules as ship goes on top, characters go underneath, and it makes sense from a "what you'd see at the location" perspective. If you were in a ship at a system, you'd see the other ships, not what pilots are in them.
I actually looked in the AR and beginner's rulebook but couldn't find any specific requirements on how cards should be arranged on the table (aside from location deployment and order). But yeah, that's always how I've played, and how I think it should be played, even if it's not written anywhere. Pilots/passengers go under blue cards, weapons and devices go under the card they're deployed on.

Related irrational pet peeve: watching a sloppy game of SWCCG. So many live streams of major tournament matches where the board just looks like chaos. Weapons on top of characters, pilots/passengers freely floating in space, sites deployed vertically, random locations like JCC or Blockade Bridge sitting in a different corner of the table. And worst of all, effects, shields, objectives, and AOs just strewn all over the place with no rhyme or reason.

I get that some of these (like vertical sites, or non-BGs off to the side) are necessary when table space is limited. But a lot of it is just not caring. Which is absolutely fine if both players can still follow what's going on. It's just personally difficult to watch.
Totally agreed, a lot of streams are basically unwatchable because of it. I have to keep stuff set up in a fairly uniform way or I'll miss stuff, but maybe that's a narp problem.
-Cyrus M.
\m/ Endor Region \m/

mserisman

Post by mserisman »

I buy a lot of random stuff on Ebay because I get bored easily and have some disposable income....

Total pet peeve when people send me something worth $2 and require I go to the Post Office to sign for it. Are you * * me?? Our post office is open Mon-Fri only like 9:30 - 4:00. There is exactly zero possibility I will ever get there in those hours.

I had one idiot send me a $.99 card that required a signature. I told him to send it to me directly when it was eventually returned and I would gladly pay him an extra $10 for his trouble. He sent it requiring a signature again. Three months later and I still don't have the card. Who the * does that?
"Never content to just rest on your laurels, you are always still reaching skyward, looking to achieve staggering new heights in douchebaggery." - Hunter towards someone who will not be named

marines28
GEMP Username: marines28

Post by marines28 »

I've spent about 45% of my life working in restaurants and when I worked at the good ol' Chick-Fil-A in North Carolina, here a few things I would get.

Oh, also, if you ever want to know what is *likely holding up your drive-thru experience, I can tell you based on what I have seen and heard from the restaurant standpoint. My favorite is a lady calling child support in drive-thru to get her card "loaded" early due to some holiday and the "payment" should have been received at time "x" instead of time "y". Another lady had 4 child support "cards", BMW, 4 different dads, EBT, etc.

At any rate, at Chick-Fil-A...(this is 2002-2009):

1. Walking in, the only guest in the restaurant, ordering for here, watch the cashier made the order (say a sandwich and a fry), place on a tray, and then say, "Oh, I want that to-go". This is after you asked the guest the dice roll question "here or to-go" (which, btw, I stopped and got really daggum efficient at knowing which guests were to-go or dining-in based on their demeanor, speed, facial expressions, skin color, kids, phone use/no phone use, paper in hand, etc. so I just would ask "Are you eating for here?" and by default I would get answer. For any statistics dudes, that is like a False Positive.) and they watch you plate the food THEN tell you. So friggin stupid.

2. When they would say in drive-thru with positive affirmation in their voice, "Yeah, this order is to-go". Saw many IBM, Research Triangle Park, and people over the age of 40 utter those words. Definitely not "stupid" by any means, but were complete idiots when it come to sustenance selection.

3. Saying the entire description of the item rather than the friggin' number. "Number 1 with a Coke" is 99% more efficient than saying, "Yeah, I want the , uh, Chicken Sandwich Fried Chicken meal, with, uh fries, and yeah, make that a combo...."

4. Idiot Moms who say the number "2" and proceed to use their fingers as if my ears are not on AND I am one of their children.

5. People who say 2 of x sauce, but when you give it to them say, lemme get one more. After working there for years, I developed tests when I worked drive-thru. I adopted the +1 mentality for sauces and +2 for mayo, ketchup, and mustard. I had a success rate of 100% AND repeat guests who knew when I was working as I not stingy. Look, the addictive chemicals are in the sauces, they want the sauce, so, daggum, give them what they want and they will give you what you want....money.

There are more, but that is a good start.
Steviegets112 wrote:The same 5 people are going to win consistently and there really isn't much any of you can do about it.
3MW0J8 wrote:
xblack: from now on it will be
xblack: gl/hf/nr
better damn believe it.
DTartagOne wrote: Yeah I agree with @marines28

imrahil327
Tournament Advocate

Post by imrahil327 »

mserisman wrote:I buy a lot of random stuff on Ebay because I get bored easily and have some disposable income....

Total pet peeve when people send me something worth $2 and require I go to the Post Office to sign for it. Are you * * me?? Our post office is open Mon-Fri only like 9:30 - 4:00. There is exactly zero possibility I will ever get there in those hours.

I had one idiot send me a $.99 card that required a signature. I told him to send it to me directly when it was eventually returned and I would gladly pay him an extra $10 for his trouble. He sent it requiring a signature again. Three months later and I still don't have the card. Who the * does that?
UGH this is the worst. I literally just got home to a pink post office mailer for a 'signature required' package and have no idea when I'll be able to pick it up. My PO is worse; doesn't even open until 10. So I'm either an hour and a half late or I have to leave two hours early. :roll: :explode

This one is closely followed by FedEx packages requiring someone 21+ to be home to sigh, and coming in the middle of the day. Sorry, never gonna get that package.
Hunter wrote:Sebulba's W-L record is like...Always and 1. Tebow's is nowhere near that percentage.
allstarz97, about M:TG wrote:I feel like Michael Jordan playing baseball.

fungineer
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold
Holotable username: fungineer
GEMP Username: fungineer

Post by fungineer »

Regarding food, i remember a guy at burger King ordering the burgers fully disassembled with every ingredient individually wrapped.
* Congrats if you read through my whole post. Have a cookie, it's in your cache.
* https://gemp.starwarsccg.org/gemp-swccg Play for free, even if you don't own good cards. Then play in real life, with real people, even if you aren't any good.
Image Image Image
Sagnet wrote:At this point, I think your posts are more unclear than the rules are.

vhstapes

Post by vhstapes »

fungineer wrote:Regarding food, i remember a guy at burger King ordering the burgers fully disassembled with every ingredient individually wrapped.
There was a guy who would ask for his sandwiches to be made this way when I worked at Subway. People are pet peeve machines when they order from that place.
-Cyrus M.
\m/ Endor Region \m/

quickdraw3457
Multimedia and Special Projects Advocate
GEMP Username: quickdraw

Post by quickdraw3457 »

vhstapes wrote:
fungineer wrote:Regarding food, i remember a guy at burger King ordering the burgers fully disassembled with every ingredient individually wrapped.
There was a guy who would ask for his sandwiches to be made this way when I worked at Subway. People are pet peeve machines when they order from that place.
Not really a pet peeve, but I used to work at McDonald's and I learned that one way to ensure your sandwich was made when you order it was to order something extra on it or take something off of it. So I'd always order my cheeseburgers with extra pickle so I didn't get one of the ones that was sitting there for 15 minutes.
Matt C. - Pittsburgh, PA
Hunter wrote:quickdraw is right

puck71
GEMP Username: puck71

Post by puck71 »

I live in Fargo and our post office windows are open until 5:30 on weekdays and on Saturday mornings. What are they doing to you out on the coasts??
John Anderson
Proofing, Tournament Committee, GEMP Team

Hari Seldon
Booster Box
Booster Box

Post by Hari Seldon »

vhstapes wrote:
This isn't always irrational. My wife is a school teacher and will often get subway the day before for field trips. Keeping the ingredients separate means it's not a soggy mess when she goes to eat it.
allstarz97 wrote:...and thematically, as everyone is referencing on this thread, why are people not mentioning the part where mace windu is crying like a little *, gets his hand cut off and then gets thrown out a window?

shawnd1984
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold
GEMP Username: Shawnd1984

Post by shawnd1984 »

Have a new one:

There's a guy at work who brings his lunch and heats it in our microwave...but he arbitrarily sets the time for at least 9 minutes, and then stands there to take it out when he sees fit. He knows full well that he can't possibly hit up his lunch for the entire set time without melting the plastic. What's worse, if you're in "line" to heat something up, you naturally assume he has 5-6-7 minutes remaining, so you don't wait. You also come off like an ass if you have to ask him if he's truly heating something up that long. He is actually a nice guy on this floor, but this behavior drives me insane. The part that makes it irrational, I don't use the microwave here...
3MW0J8 wrote: "B-but... Muh Force drain bonuses!".

Return to “Off Topic”