Irrational Pet Peeves? List em here!

Gergall

Re: Irrational Pet Peeves? List em here!

Post by Gergall »

Some organizations always use "the", such as the FBI.
"The drugs were found the FBI."
"The drugs were found by agents of the FBI."
"The criminal was captured by the FBI."
(Of course if you use "FBI" is an adjective, that doesn't count, such as "an FBI folder" or "that FBI vehicle")

Some organizations never use "the", such as AA and yes, SHIELD.
"The meeting was held by AA."
"The meeting was held by members of AA."
"The criminal was captured by SHIELD."

Even when you combine them into the same sentence, it only sounds right if you respect each organization separately:
"The criminal was captured by a joint effort between the FBI and SHIELD."
"The criminal was captured by a joint effort between SHIELD and the FBI."
"The criminal was captured by a bizarre joint effort between SHIELD, the Washington Nationals, AA, and the FBI."

I can't think of any organizations that are wishy-washy, only sometimes using "the". Anyone got one in mind?

Greg Zinn

Gergall

Post by Gergall »

If everyone can agree to that then the only question is if Black Sun should always use "the" or never use "the".
rhendon wrote:There have been examples of other books referencing it as "the" Black Sun in Star Wars old canon and new canon.
By the narrator or by a character speaking? Characters are allowed to talk wrong. Narrator could be an error.
Greg Zinn

arebelspy

Post by arebelspy »

3MW0J8 wrote:Colloquial usage of words like very, more, or an analog to indicate that someone is more of something that doesn't necessarily have degrees.
Example? What sort of thing is described like that without degrees?

quickdraw3457
Multimedia and Special Projects Advocate
GEMP Username: quickdraw

Post by quickdraw3457 »

arebelspy wrote:
May 6th, 2020, 11:44 am
3MW0J8 wrote:Colloquial usage of words like very, more, or an analog to indicate that someone is more of something that doesn't necessarily have degrees.
Example? What sort of thing is described like that without degrees?
I'm extremely positive we can think of an example.
Matt C. - Pittsburgh, PA
Hunter wrote:quickdraw is right

Corran
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold
GEMP Username: corran

Post by Corran »

It seems like the “the” is optional. In the article titled “Black Sun,” the quote is”Quiet, we are the Black Sun.”

https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Black_Sun
Check out Bad Deck Breakdowns, a Star Wars CCG Deckbuilding podcast, on the podcatcher of your choice or https://www.kendallcast.ninja
dvphimself wrote: https://www.twitch.tv/kendallcastnetwork/ is my favourite SWCCG channel.
seitaer wrote: Corran's streams are great, even if he likes the last jedi

Corran
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold

Post by Corran »

Related, I hate the passive voice, so it should really be “Black Sun Agents.”
Check out Bad Deck Breakdowns, a Star Wars CCG Deckbuilding podcast, on the podcatcher of your choice or https://www.kendallcast.ninja
dvphimself wrote: https://www.twitch.tv/kendallcastnetwork/ is my favourite SWCCG channel.

3MW0J8

Post by 3MW0J8 »

Pregnant.

Married.

(Insert political party here)
Brad Eier wrote:build better decks, play better cards, etc.
Advocate wrote:I would reply, but the site is down.
didn't choose the thug life..
Spoiler
Show
the thug life chose me

ImageImage

Gergall

Post by Gergall »

Corran wrote:
May 6th, 2020, 12:37 pm
It seems like the “the” is optional. In the article titled “Black Sun,” the quote is”Quiet, we are the Black Sun.”

Gergall wrote:Characters are allowed to talk wrong.
Greg Zinn

Echo Base Trooper
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold
GEMP Username: echobstrpr

Post by Echo Base Trooper »

Gergall wrote:
May 6th, 2020, 12:56 pm
Corran wrote:
May 6th, 2020, 12:37 pm

Gergall wrote:Characters are allowed to talk wrong.
While that is a good point, the quote is from the leader of the organization. You'd think he would know how to refer to his own organization.
Adam Fletcher
Lead Proofer, GEMP Slicer
Image Image

arebelspy

Post by arebelspy »

Gergall wrote: By the narrator or by a character speaking? Characters are allowed to talk wrong. Narrator could be an error.
Your false dilemma begs the question.

You are presupposing that it's wrong, so whoever said it, narrator or character, is wrong.

arebelspy

Post by arebelspy »

3MW0J8 wrote:Pregnant.

Married.

I've never heard someone being very (or extremely or whatever) married, or Republican, or whatever.

I have heard "super pregnant" to mean far along in the pregnancy timeline and likely quite physically large due to that.

I'd assume if I heard someone was very Republican that they are far to the right on the political spectrum (versus sort-of Republican I'd put slightly right).

In other words, when there's a spectrum, a descriptor of the strength of the side of the spectrum you're on makes sense to me.

(No jokes about being on the spectrum, please.)

Married I don't get at all, and yeah, that would be weird to me.

I guess super devoted to their marriage/partner?

quickdraw3457
Multimedia and Special Projects Advocate
GEMP Username: quickdraw

Post by quickdraw3457 »

I already have an example of what he means Joe.
Matt C. - Pittsburgh, PA
Hunter wrote:quickdraw is right

Corran
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold

Post by Corran »

arebelspy wrote:
May 6th, 2020, 4:20 pm
3MW0J8 wrote:Pregnant.

Married.

I've never heard someone being very (or extremely or whatever) married, or Republican, or whatever.

I have heard "super pregnant" to mean far along in the pregnancy timeline and likely quite physically large due to that.

I'd assume if I heard someone was very Republican that they are far to the right on the political spectrum (versus sort-of Republican I'd put slightly right).

In other words, when there's a spectrum, a descriptor of the strength of the side of the spectrum you're on makes sense to me.

(No jokes about being on the spectrum, please.)

Married I don't get at all, and yeah, that would be weird to me.

I guess super devoted to their marriage/partner?
You’re clearly not a woman on a Sex in the City style show who is attracted to a handsome older man.

Gergall

Post by Gergall »

arebelspy wrote:
May 6th, 2020, 4:18 pm
Gergall wrote: By the narrator or by a character speaking? Characters are allowed to talk wrong. Narrator could be an error.
Your false dilemma begs the question.

You are presupposing that it's wrong, so whoever said it, narrator or character, is wrong.
No, I'm saying that it's either "Black Sun" or "The Black Sun". It's amazing to me that you went to that post and edited out exactly that :lol:
Gergall wrote:If everyone can agree to that then the only question is if Black Sun should always use "the" or never use "the".
That's why I gave examples of organizations that always use it, and examples of organizations that never use it, and asked for examples of organizations that sometimes use it.

I think I made the mistake of writing a long post (the one at the top of this page) so everyone just skipped right over it.
Greg Zinn

Hunter
World Champion
World Champion

Post by Hunter »

Gergall wrote:
May 6th, 2020, 11:22 am
I can't think of any organizations that are wishy-washy, only sometimes using "the". Anyone got one in mind?
If you ask the organization, I expect most all of them have a preference. But that doesn't mean usage will always 100% adhere (or that it needs to).
I agree about "the" FBI, but if I'm watching a movie, and one bad guy turns to another and says "We've gotta get out of here. This place is crawling with FBI" then am I going to be thinking "Do you mean it's crawling with FBI...AGENTS? Do you mean it's crawling with *the* FBI??" Nah, that usage is fine.

One organization that comes to mind as "going both ways" is the A.A.R.P.
It's definitely *the* A.A.R.P. and people seem to still use it that way, when naming the organization by spelling out the letters.
BUT, when people pronounce the abbreviation in one syllable, "the" doesn't seem to precede it nearly as often.

As to the original example, I don't think I've ever spoken the words "Agents of Black Sun." That "the" is getting inserted in there, 100% of the time.

Relevant:
Spoiler
Show
Card from the LCG.

arebelspy

Post by arebelspy »

Gergall wrote:
May 6th, 2020, 5:30 pm
Gergall wrote:If everyone can agree to that then the only question is if Black Sun should always use "the" or never use "the".
That's why I gave examples of organizations that always use it, and examples of organizations that never use it, and asked for examples of organizations that sometimes use it.
Yeah, I don't agree that it always has to be with or without a the.

I think FBI works either way. And plenty of other things.

Who you gonna call?

Ghostbusters.

Who will show up?

The Ghostbusters.

How about this one:
https://www.bankofengland.co.uk/

Logo, upper right: Bank of England (the actual name)
Header of the page: The Bank of England

Your supposition of every organization either uses it or doesn't isn't correct. Organizations can use "[Organization]" or "The [Organization]" as they please.

Agents of Black Sun work for Black Sun, or The Black Sun. The official name is probably The Black Sun, LLC.

Hunter
World Champion
World Champion

Post by Hunter »

arebelspy wrote:
May 7th, 2020, 3:07 am
Your other right, Joe.

rhendon

Post by rhendon »

Hunter wrote:
May 7th, 2020, 3:53 am
arebelspy wrote:
Your other right, Joe.
Lulz.
arebelspy wrote:
The official name is probably The Black Sun, LLC.
I don't really think Xizor seems like the type to go with a LLC. He created something like a NLC. A no liability company.

The Franchise

Post by The Franchise »

i get irrationally mad when i see people post stuff like:
BIG MAD
chonky
It me

And the other types of words/phrases in that same family

Like, it doesnt really matter, and yet i burn with the rage of a thousand sons when i see it in a tweet

AdmiralMotti89
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold

Post by AdmiralMotti89 »

The fact that USPS apparently delivered an $800 package on which I paid for signature confirmation without even a delivery scan.
The fact that the buyer opened up an item not received case against me even though according to the oldtimers on eBay, the current tracking information means it almost certainly was delivered by a negligent carrier (although it might not have been, to be fair)
The fact that the buyer's local PO has not picked up the phone in the literally 10 times I have called over the past 3 days to see if the item was waiting there for pickup (and this was a problem before Covid according to their google reviews)
The fact the eBay's customer service is essentially shut down.
The fact that USPS never responded to an online request I made 5 days ago about whether the item is waiting at the PO.
The fact that I spent 8 hours troubleshooting USPS' broken insurance form, only to get it to work this morning, and it's not clear my uploaded documentation is working properly.
The fact that when trying to get help with the broken insurance form, I was thrust into a kafkaesque loop of the automated USPS voice telling me half a dozen times that filling out a claim is "quick and easy," and that when I finally got through, I had a 45-60 minute wait time.
The fact that the buyer originally wanted the item, but hasn't replied to me in three days, and can force me to refund if they want, forfeiting the 10% fee that ebay collects (which is refunded to me if I choose to refund, but the buyer hasn't told me if they want a refund or to keep looking for the item)
The fact that apparently, a buyer can open a request for only 1 item at a time, so I have to deal with 30 more refund requests for one order.
The fact that, if the item is indeed waiting at the post office, the buyer can get his refund, go sign for the package, keep his $800 and the cards, and then I lose my insurance claim because it was signed for.
Eric Garchow
My eBay Store 10% off orders of 10+ items, plus free shipping on orders of $50+
My Trade Thread
My videos/photos of opening sealed SWCCG + other SWCCG things.
My Frequently Updating SWCCG Wants List

Return to “Off Topic”