Irrational Pet Peeves? List em here!

Gergall

Re: Irrational Pet Peeves? List em here!

Post by Gergall »

Greg Zinn

caldred

Post by caldred »

Gergall wrote:Image
That looks like a you problem

puck71
GEMP Username: puck71

Post by puck71 »

On a similar microwave vein - when people leave a few seconds left on the timer. Either let it run 3 more seconds or clear it when you're done! Maybe this is more OCD than a pet peeve? I tend to clear the timers when I see this.
John Anderson
Proofing, Tournament Committee, GEMP Team

rsersen
Booster Box
Booster Box
GEMP Username: rsersen

Post by rsersen »

puck71 wrote:On a similar microwave vein - when people leave a few seconds left on the timer. Either let it run 3 more seconds or clear it when you're done! Maybe this is more OCD than a pet peeve? I tend to clear the timers when I see this.
Let it run and then hear that annoying beep? Hell no. I will stop it at 1-3 seconds for the rest of my life. But I at least have the courtesy to clear the timer afterwards.
arebelspy wrote:
May 13th, 2020, 10:16 pm
Agree with Ryan.

shawnd1984
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold
GEMP Username: Shawnd1984

Post by shawnd1984 »

puck71 wrote:On a similar microwave vein - when people leave a few seconds left on the timer. Either let it run 3 more seconds or clear it when you're done! Maybe this is more OCD than a pet peeve? I tend to clear the timers when I see this.
I do the same thing. I have an irrational fear that the empty microwave will blow up if it runs while empty. Just seems like a fire hazard.
3MW0J8 wrote: "B-but... Muh Force drain bonuses!".

Gergall

Post by Gergall »

shawnd1984 wrote:
I do the same thing. I have an irrational fear that the empty microwave will blow up if it runs while empty. Just seems like a fire hazard.
According to Google and which web sites you believe, either it's perfectly fine to run it empty or it will damage the microwave and cause it to stop heating up food. I don't see anything about possible danger, other than danger to your wallet.
Greg Zinn

Hunter
World Champion
World Champion

Post by Hunter »

Gergall wrote:
shawnd1984 wrote:
According to Google and which web sites you believe, either it's perfectly fine to run it empty or it will damage the microwave and cause it to stop heating up food.
I had to look into this myself, because it would be so strange to me that running the microwave empty could be damaging to it if I've never heard that. I've heard a million and one product warnings that tell me not to do things that no one would ever do anyway. So how could I have never heard not to run a microwave empty, if it'll actually ruin it (and when that's most definitely a thing people would eventually do, if they hadn't heard that they shouldn't)?

From what I found on teh interwebs, it seemed like there were tons of examples of people theorizing about how and why running the microwave while it's empty would be damaging to the microwave and possibly the surrounding environment. There was definitely a consensus that this is a bad idea...as long as you're reading opinions from people who haven't actually done it. Meanwhile, virtually ALL of the people saying it's completely harmless to run a microwave while it's empty were drawing on real-world experience and have, in fact, tried it before (and in some cases, "do it all the time" or have "done it all their lives").

Maybe someone was running a microwave empty one time, and it coincidentally happened to go wrong, and so it started an urban legend about how it's a bad idea. But in reality, anyone that has never heard a reason to avoid doing it...has never experienced a reason to avoid doing it.

Aglets
Rules Advocate

Post by Aglets »

Yea if the inside of a microwave oven isn't able to withstand microwave radiation.............. seems like that's a pretty significant engineering / design fail.
Rian Johnson wrote: I would be worried if everybody across the board was like "Yea, that was a good movie." It's much more exciting to me when you get a group of people who are coming up to you.....really really excited about it. And then there are other people who walk out literally saying that was the worst movie I've ever seen. Having those two extremes to me is the mark of the type of movie that I want to make.

Gergall

Post by Gergall »

I just googled for a microwave oven manual and clicked on one at random, it's for a Whirlpool brand microwave. On page 8 it does say:
To avoid damage to the microwave oven, do not operate microwave oven when it is empty.
It doesn't provide much explanation, but perhaps this text at the top of the page helps a little:
A magnetron in the microwave oven produces microwaves which
reflect off the metal floor, walls and ceiling and pass through the
turntable and appropriate cookware to the food. Microwaves are
attracted to and absorbed by fat, sugar and water molecules in
the food
, causing them to move, producing friction and heat
which cooks the food.
With nothing else to absorb the waves, and the Reflections not being 100% perfect, the magnetron maybe gets damaged by the microwaves a little bit more rapidly than usual. But look at me, now I sound like those guys Hunter was talking about.

https://www.specsserver.com/CACHE/FRMHVORELFYV.PDF

One more thing:
in some cases, "do it all the time" or have "done it all their lives").
I'm not sure I trust somebody who runs their microwave empty "all the time" or "all their life". But I'd be willing to believe that once in a while doesn't do enough damage to really matter. You'd never notice (or care very much) if your microwave burned out in 11 years when it would've lasted 12, for example.

I'd also be willing to believe that the manual is wrong, but I bet the answer is in the middle: minor, inconsequential losses damage.
Greg Zinn

Aglets
Rules Advocate

Post by Aglets »

Yea i have to admit I lol'd too at the notion of people who have used the microwave empty 'all the time.'

Whatever floats your boat I guess.
Rian Johnson wrote: I would be worried if everybody across the board was like "Yea, that was a good movie." It's much more exciting to me when you get a group of people who are coming up to you.....really really excited about it. And then there are other people who walk out literally saying that was the worst movie I've ever seen. Having those two extremes to me is the mark of the type of movie that I want to make.

shawnd1984
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold
GEMP Username: Shawnd1984

Post by shawnd1984 »

Aluminum foil on the other hand....chaos.
3MW0J8 wrote: "B-but... Muh Force drain bonuses!".

Hunter
World Champion
World Champion

Post by Hunter »

Aglets wrote:Yea i have to admit I lol'd too at the notion of people who have used the microwave empty 'all the time.'
Seemed like there were two main categories of these people.

1) People who choose "push start and walk away" to run off remaining time, instead of clearing the remaining time, or leaving it there for the next person. I guess this requires no more effort than clearing the time, but it's no less effort either, so it's not something I've ever done. I've actually *seen* it done, but only for times of under 30 seconds, probably.

2) People who run the microwave empty as a "timer." I think nearly all microwaves now have a timer built-in, but this wasn't always the case. So there are people out there who ran the microwave as a timer "all the time" and never had anything bad happen.

There was a YouTube video of someone running the microwave empty for over 30 minutes, and...nothing. The comments section had bunches of people saying that they've run the microwave empty (either accidentally or purposely) and...nothing.

marines28
GEMP Username: marines28

Post by marines28 »

shawnd1984 wrote:Aluminum foil on the other hand....chaos.
I used to shrink empty bags of potato chips doing that.

Funny about Microwaves, check this.

61 is more than 100 because 61 seconds beats 1 minute. I was mind-blown as a young wokling when this epiphany occurred.

New microwaves will convert when you type 99 to 1:39.

I found the sweet spot for cooking popcorn using this method. I miss Orville Redenbacher Sweet 'n Buttery, oh man, those days. I used to stock 3rd shift and would buy like 24 those when they went on sale.
Steviegets112 wrote:The same 5 people are going to win consistently and there really isn't much any of you can do about it.
3MW0J8 wrote:
xblack: from now on it will be
xblack: gl/hf/nr
better damn believe it.
DTartagOne wrote: Yeah I agree with @marines28

rsersen
Booster Box
Booster Box
GEMP Username: rsersen

Post by rsersen »

Hunter wrote:1) People who choose "push start and walk away" to run off remaining time, instead of clearing the remaining time, or leaving it there for the next person. I guess this requires no more effort than clearing the time, but it's no less effort either, so it's not something I've ever done. I've actually *seen* it done, but only for times of under 30 seconds, probably.
I still can't get my head wrapped around that. On most microwaves (at least nowadays) won't they continually beep after the time runs out, to remind you that you still have something in there to get out? So you'd still have to go back and open/close the door, or hit clear to stop the reminder.

Maybe I could see this if it's a communal microwave, like an office breakroom. Where you know or assume that someone is going to come up behind you and take care of that...but that still seems less considerate than just pushing clear.
arebelspy wrote:
May 13th, 2020, 10:16 pm
Agree with Ryan.

Gergall

Post by Gergall »

rsersen wrote:won't they continually beep after the time runs out, to remind you that you still have something in there to get out? So you'd still have to go back and open/close the door, or hit clear to stop the reminder
A) That could be a good thing, maybe someone wants a timer that keeps reminding them until they acknowledge it.

B) My microwave doesn't keep reminding me forever. Only about 3 or 4 times.
Greg Zinn

mserisman

Post by mserisman »

rsersen wrote:
Hunter wrote:1) People who choose "push start and walk away" to run off remaining time, instead of clearing the remaining time, or leaving it there for the next person. I guess this requires no more effort than clearing the time, but it's no less effort either, so it's not something I've ever done. I've actually *seen* it done, but only for times of under 30 seconds, probably.
I still can't get my head wrapped around that. On most microwaves (at least nowadays) won't they continually beep after the time runs out, to remind you that you still have something in there to get out? So you'd still have to go back and open/close the door, or hit clear to stop the reminder.

Maybe I could see this if it's a communal microwave, like an office breakroom. Where you know or assume that someone is going to come up behind you and take care of that...but that still seems less considerate than just pushing clear.
I often run it with water on the plate for a couple minutes to try and steam out the microwave before I clean it.... that's what you do when you have one and three kids
"Never content to just rest on your laurels, you are always still reaching skyward, looking to achieve staggering new heights in douchebaggery." - Hunter towards someone who will not be named

marines28

Post by marines28 »

People who tell you to make sure to do something as you are doing it or in the process of doing it or about to do it AND what you are doing is 10000000% clear to the common eye.

Ex. I have worked with people who will go, "Hey, can you grab the phone?" This is on the initial ring and your hand is about 3 inches away as you open your fist to grab phone handle...

Ex. "Will you mop the floor?" This is as you are wheeling a mop bucket with a mop in your hand AND are about wring mop out to mop.....

Ex. "Make sure you go grocery shopping" This is as you just put your shoes on, grabbed wallet and keys, and have a grocery list in your hand...........

There are countless more, but my thinking on this type of behavior is that Person A feels a need to express their OWN lack of confidence in a task/duty and must make other's aware so they themselves are aware. It does not make sense to waste effort and there is 0 benefit in Person A expressing their thought(s) except to attempt to gain control of a situation and/or domineer another person.

This kind of goes along the same lines of Jeff Foxworthy's "Here's Your Sign" segments or Captain Obvious material.

What have you guys done to combat the morons that do this crap? A degree of tact can be
Steviegets112 wrote:The same 5 people are going to win consistently and there really isn't much any of you can do about it.
3MW0J8 wrote:
better damn believe it.

Aglets
Rules Advocate

Post by Aglets »

Reminds me of the few times where I'd be standing around outside of a locked door waiting for someone to show up with keys (or answer the door), and someone will come up and try the knob themselves (oooh, if only I had thought of that!) or will just flat out ask me if I've tried the door.

Guess it happened more often in school / college days, but yea that used to really bug me.

marines28

Post by marines28 »

Ahh, yes, that is a good one, too.
3MW0J8 wrote:
better damn believe it.

rhendon

Post by rhendon »

If you have sleep apnea, like real bad where it causes you to sound like you are dying, please seek out help. We don't need any dead SWCCG players at the events, no matter if they do indeed help Chris Kelly win Nats.

Return to “Off Topic”