Irrational Pet Peeves? List em here!

shawnd1984
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold
GEMP Username: Shawnd1984

Re: Irrational Pet Peeves? List em here!

Post by shawnd1984 »

rhendon wrote:
July 17th, 2020, 9:56 am
shawnd1984 wrote:
July 17th, 2020, 9:41 am
darkjediknight11 wrote:
July 17th, 2020, 9:22 am
except for still being a brilliant scientist, you mean?
Very high praise. What's his specialty field? Give me Neil Tyson any day, who actually has credentials.
He has a BS in mechanical engineering from Cornell.
Cool. I have 7 friends with similar credentials. Tyson has a doctorate at least. (and not honorary, because Bill Cosby has one of those!)

3MW0J8 wrote: "B-but... Muh Force drain bonuses!".

shawnd1984
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold

Post by shawnd1984 »

shawnd1984 wrote:
July 17th, 2020, 10:08 am
rhendon wrote:
shawnd1984 wrote:
darkjediknight11 wrote:
Very high praise. What's his specialty field? Give me Neil Tyson any day, who actually has credentials.
Cool. I have 7 friends with similar credentials. Tyson has a doctorate at least. (and not honorary, because Bill Cosby has one of those!)

I stand corrected, 5 of those friends have their MS (masters) in ME, so they are more qualified than Bill Nye :popcrn:

shawnd1984
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold

Post by shawnd1984 »

Thai food places that you order and include your spice level from 1 to 10. This needs to be a uniform number, a "3" is different everywhere! Hell, the place i order from isn't even consistent. There are hot 3's and non spicy 3's, depending on the day.

shawnd1984
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold

Post by shawnd1984 »

Random Beach Boys cameos on Full House. Although Full House is an absolutely trash program, void of humor or genuine interaction, but this one irks me because The Beach Boys are great.

shawnd1984
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold

Post by shawnd1984 »

The term "gas" when used to describe a good time. The only flaw in an otherwise perfect song, Jumpin' Jack Flash, is its inclusion in the lyrics.

shawnd1984
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold

Post by shawnd1984 »

Aluminium vs. aluminum. Why the difference in spelling/pronunciation with regards to this element?! I will happily use whichever version is deemed to be the true one, but let's determine soon. Thank you.

darkjediknight11
Communications Advocate
GEMP Username: djk11

Post by darkjediknight11 »

shawnd1984 wrote:
July 17th, 2020, 10:28 am
Random Beach Boys cameos on Full House. Although Full House is an absolutely trash program, void of humor or genuine interaction, but this one irks me because The Beach Boys are great.
you understand john stamos has performed with the beach boys for a long time right?

shawnd1984
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold

Post by shawnd1984 »

darkjediknight11 wrote:
July 17th, 2020, 10:39 am
shawnd1984 wrote:
July 17th, 2020, 10:28 am
you understand john stamos has performed with the beach boys for a long time right?
I do understand, and i don't care. 8>

shawnd1984
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold

Post by shawnd1984 »

A higher up in our company who came up with the poorly devised "Let's Connect" weekly conference call, because not being physically around our coworkers is such a pertinent issue. Scheduled time....4:30pm on a FRIDAY! Fire-worthy offense.

rhendon

Post by rhendon »

shawnd1984 wrote:
July 17th, 2020, 10:13 am
shawnd1984 wrote:
rhendon wrote:
shawnd1984 wrote:
darkjediknight11 wrote:

I stand corrected, 5 of those friends have their MS (masters) in ME, so they are more qualified than Bill Nye :popcrn:
Cool. That doesn't disqualify Bill Nye from anything.

The complaint wasn't are there 5 people more qualified than Bill Nye based on college degrees. It was what was his specialty field. I told you.

The guy has tried to get people interested in science. In today's world with everything going on, I think that is a good thing. Did your friends go through the work to set up a TV show to try and teach kids that might not have an opportunity to see science other than on the TV?

He also has the respect of Sagan and Tyson. I'd say that also gives him some more qualifications than random people with masters degrees.

rhendon

Post by rhendon »

shawnd1984 wrote:
July 17th, 2020, 10:46 am
A higher up in our company who came up with the poorly devised "Let's Connect" weekly conference call, because not being physically around our coworkers is such a pertinent issue. Scheduled time....4:30pm on a FRIDAY! Fire-worthy offense.
Any meeting or conf call at 4:30pm on Friday is not an irrational pet peeve. I ask you to read Reid's post below. Click on the spoiler. Its a good one.
3MW0J8 wrote:
July 3rd, 2020, 1:14 pm
quickdraw3457 wrote:
July 3rd, 2020, 6:33 am
People who post photos on the internet (particularly eBay, Craigslist, reddit, etc) where you can see their bare feet in the bottom of the pic below the item/object they are trying to take a picture of.

Spoiler
Show
People posting rational pet peeves in the irrational pet peeve thread

shawnd1984
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold

Post by shawnd1984 »

rhendon wrote:
July 17th, 2020, 10:49 am
shawnd1984 wrote:
July 17th, 2020, 10:46 am
Any meeting or conf call at 4:30pm on Friday is not an irrational pet peeve. I ask you to read Reid's post below. Click on the spoiler. Its a good one.
3MW0J8 wrote:
July 3rd, 2020, 1:14 pm
quickdraw3457 wrote:
July 3rd, 2020, 6:33 am
People who post photos on the internet (particularly eBay, Craigslist, reddit, etc) where you can see their bare feet in the bottom of the pic below the item/object they are trying to take a picture of.
I'll revise....why is someone so full of themselves and surrounded by yes men that they didn't think this one through? And we're supposed to look to them for leadership?
Spoiler
Show
People posting rational pet peeves in the irrational pet peeve thread
Fair. I will then edit slightly....having a higher up think that their opinion is so worthy of hearing, that they can schedule it for 4:30 on a Friday.

Here's why it's irrational...i haven't called into it since March...so it shouldn't bother me, since I simply don't bother to listen:)
Last edited by shawnd1984 on July 17th, 2020, 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

shawnd1984
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold

Post by shawnd1984 »

rhendon wrote:
July 17th, 2020, 10:48 am
shawnd1984 wrote:
July 17th, 2020, 10:13 am
shawnd1984 wrote:
rhendon wrote:
shawnd1984 wrote:
darkjediknight11 wrote:

Cool. That doesn't disqualify Bill Nye from anything.

The complaint wasn't are there 5 people more qualified than Bill Nye based on college degrees. It was what was his specialty field. I told you.

The guy has tried to get people interested in science. In today's world with everything going on, I think that is a good thing. Did your friends go through the work to set up a TV show to try and teach kids that might not have an opportunity to see science other than on the TV?

He also has the respect of Sagan and Tyson. I'd say that also gives him some more qualifications than random people with masters degrees.
I will defer to bill nye on all things mechanical engineering related. I have never seen him discuss anything mechanical engineering related. You don't ask an ophthalmologist about gastrointestinal issues, for good reason.

rhendon

Post by rhendon »

shawnd1984 wrote:
July 17th, 2020, 10:54 am
I will defer to bill nye on all things mechanical engineering related. I have never seen him discuss anything mechanical engineering related. You don't ask an ophthalmologist about gastrointestinal issues, for good reason.
If someone takes the time to research and produce a show on a topic, I'll also defer to them. People can expand their horizons and expand past their degrees.

That would be like saying that a world champion has more say in SWCCG than someone who hasn't won worlds. Tom Kelly, Reid Smith, Joe Olson, Hayes Hunter, Steve Baroni are a small list of very good players that have never won worlds that we should listen to over someone that won worlds in like 2009 or 2005 or 1998 for example.

mingtown
GEMP Username: mingtown

Post by mingtown »

shawnd1984 wrote:
You realize that mechanical engineering is the application of scientific principles right? To earn my degree in ME I had to have training and coursework in Biology, Chemistry, Physics and Mathematics. It's not just like a separate branch of 'science'.
2018 WI State Champ
2019 MPC Consolation Top 4

arebelspy

Post by arebelspy »

rhendon wrote:
shawnd1984 wrote:
If someone takes the time to research and produce a show on a topic, I'll also defer to them. People can expand their horizons and expand past their degrees.

That would be like saying that a world champion has more say in SWCCG than someone who hasn't won worlds. Tom Kelly, Reid Smith, Joe Olson, Hayes Hunter, Steve Baroni are a small list of very good players that have never won worlds that we should listen to over someone that won worlds in like 2009 or 2005 or 1998 for example.
Matt Potter, Drew Scott, and Brian Hunter. Image

rhendon

Post by rhendon »

arebelspy wrote:
July 17th, 2020, 2:16 pm
rhendon wrote:
shawnd1984 wrote:

Matt Potter, Drew Scott, and Brian Hunter. Image
Damn I was off 1 year on the Schele one. I just picked a random 90s one to add to the others though.

Hopefully I at least spelled your name right.

arebelspy

Post by arebelspy »

The 90s one being operative worlds was perfect.

Schele was 04, but I think Scott works better anyways.

Spelling correct

shawnd1984
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold

Post by shawnd1984 »

mingtown wrote:
July 17th, 2020, 11:11 am
shawnd1984 wrote:
You realize that mechanical engineering is the application of scientific principles right? To earn my degree in ME I had to have training and coursework in Biology, Chemistry, Physics and Mathematics. It's not just like a separate branch of 'science'.
Sure... Business administration degrees use math and accounting. Nonetheless, a fewer college classes in both fields does not mean I should be giving complex tax advice.

AdmiralMotti89
Booster Box
Booster Box

Post by AdmiralMotti89 »

That's all the pretext I need to share these videos!

Alex Jones Rants as an Indie Folk Song

Phallic Symbols at Denver International Airport
Eric Garchow
My eBay Store 10% off orders of 10+ items, plus free shipping on orders of $50+
My Trade Thread
My videos/photos of opening sealed SWCCG + other SWCCG things.
My Frequently Updating SWCCG Wants List

Return to “Off Topic”