LS Region: Endor

Re: Ranking the New Cannon Books

Post by thehooky »

Bad Brian! Control your self!

chriskelly
Design Advocate

Post by chriskelly »

Halfway thru Leia. Some cool unexpected interactions with familiar characters like
Spoiler
Show
Panaka, Tarkin, C-3PO, Laura Dern’s character from Episode VIII
So far think the book is pretty cool.

Was already going to order bloodline, but what should my next book be? I only would care about Thrawn if it advances the normal story or the main characters. I’ve never been a Thrawn fan.

Catalyst- is that canon?
Tarkin? Canon? Is this intertwined or similar to Catalyst?
Is Phasma any good? Does that just have phasma’s story or does it touch upon Hux or Kylo or Finn?

AndrewK29
GEMP Username: AK29

Post by AndrewK29 »

just started reading aftermath, its really good so far
Andrew Kline~ 49th place 2017 world championship

shawnd1984
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold
GEMP Username: Shawnd1984

Post by shawnd1984 »

Just got Phasma from the library. Although there's probably around an 75 percent chance it absolutely blows.
3MW0J8 wrote: "B-but... Muh Force drain bonuses!".

Spoiler Man
Anthology
Anthology

Post by Spoiler Man »

Absolutely HATED Aftermath. Wendig is such a trash writer. The story is one thing, the actual writing is just absolutely appalling and complete crap garbage.

Phasma, I made a post about my thoughts on that one.

shawnd1984
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold

Post by shawnd1984 »

Spoiler Man wrote:Absolutely HATED Aftermath. Wendig is such a trash writer. The story is one thing, the actual writing is just absolutely appalling and complete crap garbage.

Phasma, I made a post about my thoughts on that one.

Aftermath was the worst. Where's your phasma post if you don't mind.

quesosauce37
LS Region: Tatooine
LS Region: Tatooine
GEMP Username: quesosauce

Post by quesosauce37 »

yea i returned aftermath to the library after getting maybe 30% through.....couldnt get past how bad that book was
Jerry H

Image Image

mserisman

Post by mserisman »

chriskelly wrote:Halfway thru Leia. Some cool unexpected interactions with familiar characters like
Spoiler
Show

Was already going to order bloodline, but what should my next book be? I only would care about Thrawn if it advances the normal story or the main characters. I’ve never been a Thrawn fan.

Catalyst- is that canon?
Is Phasma any good? Does that just have phasma’s story or does it touch upon Hux or Kylo or Finn?
Catalyst - yes is canon. Tells the story about Galen Erso, leading up to the start of Rogue One. Excellent.
Tarkin - yes is canon. Also tells the story leading up to Rogue One. Excellent
Phasma - yes is canon. Backstory of Phasma, and a bit of Hux. Its pretty good, but different. Cool spoiler on where her armor came from.
"Never content to just rest on your laurels, you are always still reaching skyward, looking to achieve staggering new heights in douchebaggery." - Hunter towards someone who will not be named

shawnd1984
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold

Post by shawnd1984 »

mserisman wrote:
chriskelly wrote:Halfway thru Leia. Some cool unexpected interactions with familiar characters like
Spoiler
Show

Catalyst- is that canon?
Catalyst - yes is canon. Tells the story about Galen Erso, leading up to the start of Rogue One. Excellent.
Phasma - yes is canon. Backstory of Phasma, and a bit of Hux. Its pretty good, but different. Cool spoiler on where her armor came from.
I am definitely giving phasma a try... But not as very compelling character whatsoever thus far as portrayed in the film.

TB
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold

Post by TB »

Canon or not, for some reason i dont remember, but plageius is by for the Best Sw novel ive ever read. Its like grown up good. I enjoy listening to all the old stuff and Tarkin was really good too, But this one was a proper piece of Literature. And the Way it ties into ep1 is just brilliant. Love how Dark it is too. So brutal.
Results:
European Championships 2014 - 3rd place
European Championships 2013 - 8th place
Toola Regionals 2013 - runner up
European Championships 2011 - 5th place

shawnd1984
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold

Post by shawnd1984 »

TB wrote:Canon or not, for some reason i dont remember, but plageius is by for the Best Sw novel ive ever read. Its like grown up good. I enjoy listening to all the old stuff and Tarkin was really good too, But this one was a proper piece of Literature. And the Way it ties into ep1 is just brilliant. Love how Dark it is too. So brutal.
Think I agree. Read it multiple times.

chriskelly
Design Advocate

Post by chriskelly »

mserisman wrote:Catalyst - yes is canon. Tells the story about Galen Erso, leading up to the start of Rogue One. Excellent.
Awesome - thanks, Mike! I think I'm with the others that for now I don't find Phasma captivating enough to read a whole book about here, but, the other two I think I'll like. If you don't mind me asking, which should I read first between Tarkin and Catalyst? I'm guessing they cover the same time period and probably overlap a little bit?

quickdraw3457
Multimedia and Special Projects Advocate
GEMP Username: quickdraw

Post by quickdraw3457 »

shawnd1984 wrote:
TB wrote:Canon or not, for some reason i dont remember, but plageius is by for the Best Sw novel ive ever read. Its like grown up good. I enjoy listening to all the old stuff and Tarkin was really good too, But this one was a proper piece of Literature. And the Way it ties into ep1 is just brilliant. Love how Dark it is too. So brutal.
Plagueis was good, probably the best SW novel I had read in a LONG time at the time I read it, but Tarkin is better. Plagueis felt like reading a wookieepedia page, not like reading literature to me.
Matt C. - Pittsburgh, PA
Hunter wrote:quickdraw is right

mserisman

Post by mserisman »

chriskelly wrote:
mserisman wrote:Catalyst - yes is canon. Tells the story about Galen Erso, leading up to the start of Rogue One. Excellent.
Awesome - thanks, Mike! I think I'm with the others that for now I don't find Phasma captivating enough to read a whole book about here, but, the other two I think I'll like. If you don't mind me asking, which should I read first between Tarkin and Catalyst? I'm guessing they cover the same time period and probably overlap a little bit?
I would read Catalyst first. That backstory is essential to Rogue One. Tarkin we mostly know about leading to A New Hope..
"Never content to just rest on your laurels, you are always still reaching skyward, looking to achieve staggering new heights in douchebaggery." - Hunter towards someone who will not be named

Hunter
World Champion
World Champion

Post by Hunter »

quickdraw3457 wrote: Plagueis was good, probably the best SW novel I had read in a LONG time at the time I read it
quickdraw3457 wrote: Plagueis felt like reading a wookieepedia page, not like reading literature to me.
Not sure what to do with these quotes.

Is it that you enjoy reading a Wookieepedia page? Or are most SW novels just the worst thing ever?

shawnd1984
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold

Post by shawnd1984 »

Hunter wrote:
quickdraw3457 wrote: Plagueis was good, probably the best SW novel I had read in a LONG time at the time I read it
quickdraw3457 wrote: Plagueis felt like reading a wookieepedia page, not like reading literature to me.

Is it that you enjoy reading a Wookieepedia page? Or are most SW novels just the worst thing ever?
I think your claim that SW novels are the worst will eventually be true thanks to the continuous output of subpar material.

TB
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold

Post by TB »

shawnd1984 wrote:
you should buy it on iTunes. the audiobook version is amazing. Same goes for tarkin btw.
Results:

TB
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold

Post by TB »

quickdraw3457 wrote:
shawnd1984 wrote:
Plagueis was good, probably the best SW novel I had read in a LONG time at the time I read it, but Tarkin is better. Plagueis felt like reading a wookieepedia page, not like reading literature to me.
SPOILERS AHEAD ::: SPIOLERS AHEAD ::: SPOILERS AHEAD

Tarkin is probably a better novel when you look at it from a technical perspektiv. The whole coming of age of a young, strong man who joins the nazi-party and rises to the top sits very well with the character and its a story I've been wanting to hear them tell for a long time. Since I first saw tarkin next to vader in ANH. Especially seeing him interact with the emperor was something I always wondered about how would play out. it was brilliant.

Plaguies, however, just gave me something even more important; a glimpse into Sidious mind. He is by far the most interesting antagonist in pop culture. imho. He doesn't want money, * or recognition. He doesn't care for fame, other peoples demise or anything like that. He just wants power for the sheer sake of power itself. Its such a weird motif for a character somehow. Or rather; we've seen tons of similar motifs but with studious its just so clean. LOVE how he turns down the hot ambassador who wants to hook up with him in the bar. at the same time, he can be passionate. His avenging of the assassination attempt on plagues for example. Or the murder of his family. in those situations he taps in to pure fury and feeds from it. it so rare that he gets to do it and when it happens its almost as if those moments are the goal of his being. hard to explain better but thats how it struck me.

The book portrays his unique character way better than I could ever have imagined. its so subtle. the small things. how he seems weak at first but then, when the book concludes, you see how he was on top from day one. nah, maybe day three or four. He understood the importance of plagues and was forced to/willing to give up control for a brief period. I love the reveal at the end and how it links with the beginning.

also, the glimpse into the anatomy of the rule of two was so good. to em they were even better than what the bane books gave me on that account. Bane era is cool and all but not as cool as this. And the utter brutality and ice cold schemes they carry out. Its so futuristic. In that regard this book does something that is seen way to rarely in sci-fi fi works; the characters think differently and have clearly different ethics. Like in Wet World when the CEO woman has sex with the robot in her office and finishes herself while her high ranking employee watches. she doesn't get embarrassed because in that era a tier one CEO is so detached from the lowly ethics of normal people. At least thats what I rad into such a scene and Plagues has a lot of that concerning the way the two Sith Lords act. Love it.

I use a lot of the stuff in that book for the antagonist in my upcoming novel, actually ; )

ok. wasn't supposed to write so much. sorry for the long spam text.
Results:

quickdraw3457
Multimedia and Special Projects Advocate
GEMP Username: quickdraw

Post by quickdraw3457 »

Hunter wrote:

The latter. Stuff like new dawn and kenobi is such unreadable garbage. Plagueis seemed really good next to those, but in general was just ok. But yes, sometimes I do enjoy reading wookieepedia pages. Just prefer it not be in novel format.
Matt C. - Pittsburgh, PA
Hunter wrote:quickdraw is right

TB
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold

Post by TB »

ok.. idk why that ended up being a double post? can't delete it. sorry.
Results:

Return to “Off Topic”