shawnd1984
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold
GEMP Username: Shawnd1984

Re: Ranking the New Cannon Books

Post by shawnd1984 »

TB wrote:
shawnd1984 wrote:
TB wrote:Canon or not, for some reason i dont remember, but plageius is by for the Best Sw novel ive ever read. Its like grown up good. I enjoy listening to all the old stuff and Tarkin was really good too, But this one was a proper piece of Literature. And the Way it ties into ep1 is just brilliant. Love how Dark it is too. So brutal.
Think I agree. Read it multiple times.
you should buy it on iTunes. the audiobook version is amazing. Same goes for tarkin btw.
Oh I actually did listen to the audio book which was very good. There voice actor was perfect.

3MW0J8 wrote: "B-but... Muh Force drain bonuses!".

shawnd1984
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold

Post by shawnd1984 »

quickdraw3457 wrote:
Hunter wrote:
quickdraw3457 wrote: Plagueis was good, probably the best SW novel I had read in a LONG time at the time I read it
quickdraw3457 wrote: Plagueis felt like reading a wookieepedia page, not like reading literature to me.
Not sure what to do with these quotes.

Is it that you enjoy reading a Wookieepedia page? Or are most SW novels just the worst thing ever?
The latter. Stuff like new dawn and kenobi is such unreadable garbage. Plagueis seemed really good next to those, but in general was just ok. But yes, sometimes I do enjoy reading wookieepedia pages. Just prefer it not be in novel format.
If you really wanna go down the Wookiepedia rabbit hole, enjoy the articles on the various forms of lightsaber combat styles.

hanotsri

Post by hanotsri »

Curious if anyone is interested in a Star Wars book club on this board? We could read a novel a month (dividing the book into quarters for weekly discussion).

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

TB
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold

Post by TB »

Wow. Always waited to try that.
Results:
European Championships 2014 - 3rd place
European Championships 2013 - 8th place
Toola Regionals 2013 - runner up
European Championships 2011 - 5th place

Spoiler Man
Anthology
Anthology

Post by Spoiler Man »

Sounds good. I'm up for that.

hanotsri

Post by hanotsri »

For those interested, I started a thread for Star Wars book club. Please feel free to join. First book we're going to do is Star Wars - Lost Stars by Claudia Gray

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

chriskelly
Design Advocate

Post by chriskelly »

Just finished Leia. Going to read Tarkin next, only because it was super cheap on Amazon. And he seemed like an evil badass in this one.

Overall, it was pretty good. Some of the “allusions” of what’s to come in her life seemed forced, but that made the ending even more impactful by setting all of those things up.

shawnd1984
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold

Post by shawnd1984 »

chriskelly wrote:Just finished Leia. Going to read Tarkin next, only because it was super cheap on Amazon. And he seemed like an evil badass in this one.

Overall, it was pretty good. Some of the “allusions” of what’s to come in her life seemed forced, but that made the ending even more impactful by setting all of those things up.

Begs the question...what kind of inside info do you think the author's receive prior to any books? It can't be much right?

chriskelly
Design Advocate

Post by chriskelly »

Sorry I meant things we knew she did and people/things we knew she would encounter later.

But there are (at least) two “things” in the book that lead in to the Last Jedi so I’m sure Disney gave her a heads up. I know they told her some of the backstory for Bloodline too.

chriskelly
Design Advocate

Post by chriskelly »

quickdraw3457 wrote:
shawnd1984 wrote:
TB wrote:Canon or not, for some reason i dont remember, but plageius is by for the Best Sw novel ive ever read. Its like grown up good. I enjoy listening to all the old stuff and Tarkin was really good too, But this one was a proper piece of Literature. And the Way it ties into ep1 is just brilliant. Love how Dark it is too. So brutal.
Plagueis was good, probably the best SW novel I had read in a LONG time at the time I read it, but Tarkin is better. Plagueis felt like reading a wookieepedia page, not like reading literature to me.
Just finished Tarkin. Beginning was pretty good, ending was pretty great, but a large portion of the book read like the wookieepedia page. I found those parts fairly boring. Would recommend people read it though. Some cool stuff about how Tarkin rises and some good interplay between him, the Emperor, Vader and some of the imperial council members.

But based on that would skip Plaguies if it’s not canon because man those wookieepedia parts were dry.

quickdraw3457
Multimedia and Special Projects Advocate
GEMP Username: quickdraw

Post by quickdraw3457 »

chriskelly wrote:
quickdraw3457 wrote:
shawnd1984 wrote:
Plagueis was good, probably the best SW novel I had read in a LONG time at the time I read it, but Tarkin is better. Plagueis felt like reading a wookieepedia page, not like reading literature to me.
Just finished Tarkin. Beginning was pretty good, ending was pretty great, but a large portion of the book read like the wookieepedia page. I found those parts fairly boring. Would recommend people read it though. Some cool stuff about how Tarkin rises and some good interplay between him, the Emperor, Vader and some of the imperial council members.

But based on that would skip Plaguies if it’s not canon because man those wookieepedia parts were dry.
So have you designed the carrion Spike for us yet???
Matt C. - Pittsburgh, PA
Hunter wrote:quickdraw is right

fungineer
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold
Holotable username: fungineer
GEMP Username: fungineer

Re: Ranking the New Canon Books

Post by fungineer »

Spoiler
Show
The starship or the location? ;)
* Congrats if you read through my whole post. Have a cookie, it's in your cache.
* https://gemp.starwarsccg.org/gemp-swccg Play for free, even if you don't own good cards. Then play in real life, with real people, even if you aren't any good.
Image Image Image
Sagnet wrote:At this point, I think your posts are more unclear than the rules are.

quickdraw3457
Multimedia and Special Projects Advocate
GEMP Username: quickdraw

Post by quickdraw3457 »

fungineer wrote:
Spoiler
Show
The starship or the location? ;)
Starship!
Matt C. - Pittsburgh, PA
Hunter wrote:quickdraw is right

chriskelly
Design Advocate

Post by chriskelly »

No, but there are several intriguing Imperial-officer related cards sitting around...

hanotsri

Post by hanotsri »

chriskelly wrote:So have you designed the carrion Spike for us yet???
Spoiler
Show
This could be an especially interesting card as it could be the first duel Imperial and First Order card considering it was Tarkin's and now it belongs to First Order Security Bureau agent Terex (from the Poe Dameron comics and would himself, be a great duel card)
Last edited by hanotsri on December 23rd, 2017, 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fungineer
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold

Post by fungineer »

Spoiler
Show
hanotsri wrote:
chriskelly wrote:So have you designed the carrion Spike for us yet???
This could be an especially interesting card as it could be the first duel Imperial and First Order card considering it was Tarkin's and now it belongs to First Order Security Bureau agent Terex (from the Poe Dameron comics and would himself, be a great duel card)
Total spoiler as Haven't read the comics.
Spoiler
Show
But I always figured it was basically made worthless by the end and would remain on tbe hand of pirates or be scrapped out. Sad to see there is a FOSB (and a NRSB)
* Congrats if you read through my whole post. Have a cookie, it's in your cache.
* https://gemp.starwarsccg.org/gemp-swccg Play for free, even if you don't own good cards. Then play in real life, with real people, even if you aren't any good.
Image Image Image
Sagnet wrote:At this point, I think your posts are more unclear than the rules are.

hanotsri

Post by hanotsri »

Sorry! I spoiler tagged myself. My apologies
Spoiler
Show
Makes sense that there would be both though

chriskelly
Design Advocate

Post by chriskelly »

Just finished Weapon Of A Jedi, which is definitely geared towards younger people and leads into The Force Awakens so it’s a little dated and obviously TLJ changes the perspective on it (without spoiling that movie).

Beginning of the book was okay, middle was boring, but end was really good. Shows how Luke actually learned to fight with a lightsaber beyond the 5 minutes on the falcon and the end had some action in it too. Also
Spoiler
Show
Has some strong allusions to what Luke was up to between ROTJ and TFA, and has Luke saying the line that he will rebuild the Jedi Order... /no comment.

chriskelly
Design Advocate

Post by chriskelly »

Only 3 chapters in but Thrawn is surprisingly amazing. I was never a huge fan of the guy (didn’t think much of him either way), so I went into it just with idea of it giving me background info for Rebels, but it’s definitely sucked me in (certainly more than the early portions of Bloodline did).

fungineer
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold

Post by fungineer »

I got 3/4's through From A certain point of view
Spoiler
Show
before it had to go back to the library, and some of the stories are really good. In particular, I like that explaining Gunnery Captain Bolvan's complete and utter failure.
I like the mouse droid one, even though that re-creates one of my favorite characters in a way that was not expected or enjoyed, but whatever, I can live with it and done in a decent way.
Chuck Wendig continues to be a terrible author.
Rebel Rising
Spoiler
Show
was pretty good, as it tied a lot into the relationship between Saw and Jyn that we never saw on screen. Also really helped to set aside Saw and the other "partitions" who do not stand with the Rebel Alliance.
Inferno squad
Spoiler
Show
also played into that. Not as good as rebel rising, but decent. Very, very different than battlefront I. It had fewer boring parts but was also a lot less nitty-gritty than battlefront 1, and as such, I don't think I'd rank it much higher.
Image Image Image

Return to “Off Topic”