SPOILERS: STAR WARS: EPISODE 9: THE RISE OF SKYWALKERS [SPOILERS]

Corran
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold
GEMP Username: corran

Re: SPOILERS: STAR WARS: EPISODE 9: THE RISE OF SKYWALKERS [SPOILERS]

Post by Corran »

In case I forget to drop a link in later, the KendallCast Star Wars Round Table review of the film will be up on the KendallCast podcast feed and KendallCast.NINJA late Thursday night. We were going to record last night, but I have no voice(hopefully it comes back by then). It sounds like 2 of my cohosts enjoyed it(not as much as me), and one got bogged down by the same problems other people have mentioned. It should be an interesting discussion.

Check out Bad Deck Breakdowns, a Star Wars CCG Deckbuilding podcast, on the podcatcher of your choice or https://www.kendallcast.ninja
dvphimself wrote: https://www.twitch.tv/kendallcastnetwork/ is my favourite SWCCG channel.
seitaer wrote: Corran's streams are great, even if he likes the last jedi

arebelspy

Post by arebelspy »

Spoiler
Show
Spoiler Man wrote: I was asking for a buddy-cop movie of Han and Luke in their 60s
I assume you mean wasn't based on the rest of the post, but it sure seemed like was fit better based on the previous post.

I find it amusing how many words you spent on wanting more of the old characters, then immediately complaining that the new ones are like the old ones (Finn as Chewie, Poe as Han/Wedge). Seems like you should be happy they gave you people you like?

Anyways, IMO one scene with Han and Luke doesn't suddenly make an 8 hour trilogy better or different. Doesn't matter to me. They passed the torch to new ones. Han and Luke's primary story was 4-6, and I'm good with that, as much as I like the OT guys. I'd probably like the OT guys less if they tried to stretch 7-9 into the adventures of the geriatrics, Luke conquers the old folks home.

Corran
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold

Post by Corran »

arebelspy wrote:
December 23rd, 2019, 11:03 am
Spoiler
Show
Spoiler Man wrote: I was asking for a buddy-cop movie of Han and Luke in their 60s
I assume you mean wasn't based on the rest of the post, but it sure seemed like was fit better based on the previous post.

I find it amusing how many words you spent on wanting more of the old characters, then immediately complaining that the new ones are like the old ones (Finn as Chewie, Poe as Han/Wedge). Seems like you should be happy they gave you people you like?

Anyways, IMO one scene with Han and Luke doesn't suddenly make an 8 hour trilogy better or different. Doesn't matter to me. They passed the torch to new ones. Han and Luke's primary story was 4-6, and I'm good with that, as much as I like the OT guys. I'd probably like the OT guys less if they tried to stretch 7-9 into the adventures of the geriatrics, Luke conquers the old folks home.
Hey look at me agreeing with arebelspy! Yeah, I wouldn't have wanted much more with the old folks. In a perfect world, I would have had no OT characters at all in the trilogy(maybe Luke as a Yoda type). But I'm generally happy with the way they utilized the OT characters. The one exception being R2-D2, who I'd have liked to see a little more of.
Check out Bad Deck Breakdowns, a Star Wars CCG Deckbuilding podcast, on the podcatcher of your choice or https://www.kendallcast.ninja
dvphimself wrote: https://www.twitch.tv/kendallcastnetwork/ is my favourite SWCCG channel.

CategoryOneGames.com
GEMP Username: Categoryon

Post by CategoryOneGames.com »

I was thinking today that they didn't take the movie far enough and explain away something stupid in the process.
Spoiler
Show
I would have had the Emperor mention that he impregnated many women in the galaxy in order to have a chance of eternal life. That Anakin was created by him and was the first to show Jedi ability and he helped create more Jedi children. Rey is only one of many children that will help keep him alive forever and he's killed others in the past to help stay alive this long. Some have shown abilities while others haven't. He could have said the midiclorines were fake and that the Jedi were stupid for believing such rubbish. It's like they were at the 20-yard line and kicked a field goal instead of going for the touchdown.

Gergall

Post by Gergall »

He could have said the midiclorines were fake
Prequel-era jedi could (and did) walk up to any child in the galaxy, jab them with a needle, and check their midi count to immediately learn if the child was force sensitive. That much could not have been faked by anyone.
Greg Zinn

Corran
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold

Post by Corran »

CategoryOneGames.com wrote:
December 23rd, 2019, 2:37 pm
I was thinking today that they didn't take the movie far enough and explain away something stupid in the process.
Spoiler
Show
I would have had the Emperor mention that he impregnated many women in the galaxy in order to have a chance of eternal life. That Anakin was created by him and was the first to show Jedi ability and he helped create more Jedi children. Rey is only one of many children that will help keep him alive forever and he's killed others in the past to help stay alive this long. Some have shown abilities while others haven't. He could have said the midiclorines were fake and that the Jedi were stupid for believing such rubbish. It's like they were at the 20-yard line and kicked a field goal instead of going for the touchdown.
The idea of the Emperor having a bunch of children definitely has merit, but it could get into problematic territory quickly. Even as it stands, I don't know if I want to know what went on with Rey's grandmother.

dorshe1
Holotable username: dorshe1
GEMP Username: dorshe1

Post by dorshe1 »

Corran wrote:
December 23rd, 2019, 3:22 pm
Spoiler
Show
The idea of the Emperor having a bunch of children definitely has merit, but it could get into problematic territory quickly. Even as it stands, I don't know if I want to know what went on with Rey's grandmother.
That also means that the little boy at the end of TLJ was probably one of his grandbastards as well.

Thanks!

Platypus
GEMP Username: platy

Post by Platypus »

dorshe1 wrote:
December 23rd, 2019, 3:41 pm
Corran wrote:
December 23rd, 2019, 3:22 pm
Spoiler
Show
Spoiler
Show
That also means that the little boy at the end of TLJ was probably one of his grandbastards as well.
Thanks!
Yeah, that's getting a little close to Game of Thrones there.
BSG 13-6 AGOT 2-0 AH 1-0 I also played SWCCG :)

allstarz97
World Champion
World Champion

Post by allstarz97 »

Wasn’t expecting much, got what I expected. Felt like I had read the book and was watching the movie adaptation cuz the lines were so obvious and the movie was super basic/safe. Visually amazing, other than that it was 2.5 hours of a video game/movie trailer with an incredibly predictable ending.

Am I the only one who wishes it was just episodes 4-6?

arebelspy

Post by arebelspy »

allstarz97 wrote:Am I the only one who wishes it was just episodes 4-6?
In terms of actual movies, definitely.

In terms of it giving me more IP for the actual star wars I care about (the card game) I'm glad they were made.

But otherwise, yeah, 1-3 and 7-9, eh. A way to sell merchandise (insert Spaceballs gif).

Spoiler Man
Anthology
Anthology

Post by Spoiler Man »

arebelspy wrote:
December 23rd, 2019, 11:03 am
Spoiler
Show

Yes, I meant 'wasn't and not was.

But I still stand by my statements that the new characters aren't compelling or interesting, not in the same way as the OT characters. And my comparison to Finn as Chewie and Poe as Han/Wedge was just that.... a comparison. A veneer one too, since Finn isn't as good as Chewie was in the OT or Poe as good as Han.

shawnd1984
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold
GEMP Username: Shawnd1984

Post by shawnd1984 »

allstarz97 wrote:
December 23rd, 2019, 9:45 pm

Am I the only one who wishes it was just episodes 4-6?
3MW0J8 wrote: "B-but... Muh Force drain bonuses!".

Shadow 14
Retired Advocate

Post by Shadow 14 »

I love the prequels. They gave us new characters and excellent locations, showed a different era of Star Wars, and had solid stories, that were even expanded upon by the EU. Long live Lucas!
Chris (Euro Emperor) Menzel
Hannover - Germany

Image Image

Corran
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold

Post by Corran »

Shadow 14 wrote:
December 24th, 2019, 7:13 am
I love the prequels. They gave us new characters and excellent locations, showed a different era of Star Wars, and had solid stories, that were even expanded upon by the EU. Long live Lucas!
I think over time we'll get some expansion of the world and characters of this era through supplemental materials. The "Age of Resistance" comic series did a great job doing this a few months back. I think up to this point, Disney was so protective of the characters' backstories and things that there was only so much the comics, books, etc could do. Now that we know the story, we can get a book about Ben's fall or random adventures between the movies. I'm as excited as ever for things to come!

Also, after a second viewing, I'm super interested in exploring Finn's force sensitivity. Hopefully we get some neat stuff there, especially if he doesn't become a full fledged Jedi.

allstarz97
World Champion
World Champion

Post by allstarz97 »

Prequels weren’t that bad, 7-9 as a whole was a waste.. TFA gave us hope but 8-9 such a jumble now TFA looks way worse looking backwards at it. Every single interesting question/new angle was explained in a very flat way

quickdraw3457
Multimedia and Special Projects Advocate
GEMP Username: quickdraw

Post by quickdraw3457 »

allstarz97 wrote:
December 24th, 2019, 9:10 am
Prequels weren’t that bad, 7-9 as a whole was a waste.. TFA gave us hope but 8-9 such a jumble now TFA looks way worse looking backwards at it. Every single interesting question/new angle was explained in a very flat way
Yep totally agree. "waste" is exactly how I think of the sequels too.
Matt C. - Pittsburgh, PA
Hunter wrote:quickdraw is right

tge.damen
GEMP Username: tge.damen

Post by tge.damen »

Apollyon wrote:
December 22nd, 2019, 7:55 pm
Rise Pitch Meeting video that pretty much nails it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2zZFtq13c4
Really funny! Also check: https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat- ... ed-1264714

Xanth
World Champion
World Champion

Post by Xanth »

Now taking orders for your SWCCG and Hobby needs!
Shadow 14 wrote:I officially love you now, Tom!
Advocate wrote: Tom Haid will make us all regret this probably.

Cam Solusar

Post by Cam Solusar »

This reviewer had similar feelings to me after the movie was over, though I wasn't outright laughing leaving the theater.

https://youtu.be/U_D-HPjmacY

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Camden Y, Southern California
BrenDerlin wrote:These movies aren't called Star Battles, yo.

shawnd1984
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold
GEMP Username: Shawnd1984

Post by shawnd1984 »

Xanth wrote:
December 24th, 2019, 10:27 am
You would have to be Shia LaBeouf nutty to have enjoyed it. :lol:
3MW0J8 wrote: "B-but... Muh Force drain bonuses!".

Return to “Off Topic”