SPOILERS: STAR WARS: EPISODE 9: THE RISE OF SKYWALKERS [SPOILERS]

jon2189
Booster Pack
Booster Pack

Re: SPOILERS: STAR WARS: EPISODE 9: THE RISE OF SKYWALKERS [SPOILERS]

Post by jon2189 »

Spoiler
Show
So am I the only one disappointed by that last space battle? I've shed some ink on this trilogy (and some blood defending TLJ) in other places, so I don't want to reopen old discussions. At the end of the day, I was hoping for a good space battle. I kinda wish the AD took over the choreography of the climactic battle over Exegol.

Spoiler Man
Anthology
Anthology

Post by Spoiler Man »

My movie ranks:

5-4-R1-6-3-7-Solo-9-1-2-8

I think 7 would be ahead of 3 if it weren't for how bad the ST turns out as a whole. 1/2 are basically interchangeable, or maybe 2/8 is interchangeable more, not sure, but I definitely put 2/8 as last.

I'll discuss more about the movie tonight after work if I don't get too drunk.

I'll say this - 9 isn't HORRIBLE - but it is peak JJ, and it is peak 'overdone' and there is some Marvel formulaic issues. Its better than TLJ, so it does have that at least going for it.

4.5/5.5 out of 10.

Corran
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold
GEMP Username: corran

Post by Corran »

In response to some of the comments about the EU:

Every time I see a new Star Wars movie, I come out of it amazed by how much they've mined from the EU. I mean Solo and Rogue One could have been novels to be released in the years prior to Disney acquiring the license. Thrawn is back in Canon, and Timothy Zahn has written a new trilogy about this version. The Last Jedi and Rise of Skywalker both took queues from the Tartakovsky Clone Wars series with their visual style. Even some of the most controversial things(i.e. Holdo Bomb) totally would have happened in the EU(see The Lusankya during the Yuzhan Vong War).

Not to mention
Spoiler
Show
The reborn Palpatine is basically Dark Empire meets the Katana Fleet.
Don't get me wrong, I still want a Sword of the Jedi trilogy to wrap up the old continuity(they put out a comic in the old Marvel continuity so maybe there's still hope), but the stuff Disney has put out has been at least on par with the bulk of the EU, and in many ways has streamlined and pulled the best parts from it. Did anyone read Fate of the Jedi? The EU was kind of a mess before Disney took over.

As far as the "my Star Wars is films 1-6," there's nothing wrong with that. My Rocky is I-IV and Creed. My Godfather is 1-2. My Star Trek ends with Nemesis.
Check out Bad Deck Breakdowns, a Star Wars CCG Deckbuilding podcast, on the podcatcher of your choice or https://www.kendallcast.ninja
dvphimself wrote: https://www.twitch.tv/kendallcastnetwork/ is my favourite SWCCG channel.
seitaer wrote: Corran's streams are great, even if he likes the last jedi

Cam Solusar

Post by Cam Solusar »

jon2189 wrote:
Spoiler
Show
So am I the only one disappointed by that last space battle? I've shed some ink on this trilogy (and some blood defending TLJ) in other places, so I don't want to reopen old discussions. At the end of the day, I was hoping for a good space battle. I kinda wish the AD took over the choreography of the climactic battle over Exegol.
Oh my goodness yes. Worst space battle in all of Star Wars imo.

My current ranking:

8 5 4 R1 6 1 3 7 Solo 9 2

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Camden Y, Southern California
BrenDerlin wrote:These movies aren't called Star Battles, yo.

Corran
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold
GEMP Username: corran

Post by Corran »

Also, my current ranking. May change tomorrow:

5 R1 Solo 9 8 4 Clone Wars 3 7 1 2 6
Check out Bad Deck Breakdowns, a Star Wars CCG Deckbuilding podcast, on the podcatcher of your choice or https://www.kendallcast.ninja
dvphimself wrote: https://www.twitch.tv/kendallcastnetwork/ is my favourite SWCCG channel.
seitaer wrote: Corran's streams are great, even if he likes the last jedi

TB
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold

Post by TB »

5, 4
r1, 7, 6
2, 9, solo, 3,
8, 1

I set it up like this to show that so many of them are almost equally good to me. empire is best, a new hope is on that same tier and so forth.
Results:
European Championships 2014 - 3rd place
European Championships 2013 - 8th place
Toola Regionals 2013 - runner up
European Championships 2011 - 5th place

jon2189
Booster Pack
Booster Pack

Post by jon2189 »

I guess we're in the ranking mood: 4, R1, 5, 6, 8, 1, 3, Solo, 9, 7, 2.

MrPurple
LS Region: Coruscant

Post by MrPurple »

I loved it. I laughed. I cried. I literally jumped to the edge of my seat.

By no means was it perfect but I can't wait to see it again!!!
Matt Sokol

kryptofis
Holotable username: kryptofis
GEMP Username: kryptofis

Post by kryptofis »

My current ranking with Tiers stolen from TB:
5, r1, Mando
6, Solo, 4, 9, 7,
3, 8, 1, 2
Kryptofis

sac89837

Post by sac89837 »

MrPurple wrote:
December 21st, 2019, 2:00 pm
I loved it. I laughed. I cried. I literally jumped to the edge of my seat.

By no means was it perfect but I can't wait to see it again!!!
:!:

I concur.

Current ranking:
5, 4, 6, R1, 9, 3, Solo, 1, 7, Caravan of Courage, Battle of Endor, 2, Clone Wars, Holiday Special, 8
On a unicorn, riding a unicorn over a rainbow.

"Bounty Hunters don't do brunch."

Gergall

Post by Gergall »

Movie reaction from a friend of mine on Facebook who hates 7 and 8:
As a staunch hater of the new Disney Star Wars Movies I will say that not only was the new Rise of Skywalker an exceptionally good Star Wars Movie but it made Episodes VII and VIII actually tolerable movies.

I was very surprised and impressed as I went into it thinking I was going to hate it and walk out dissapointed as I had with Episodes VII and VIII. I watched lost when it was on and learned very quickly that JJ Abrams has no idea how to finish stories that he has started. Not only did he finish the story of this 3 movie Arc but of the entire 9 movie arc somewhat masterfully.
Just posting that here because it's an unusual position. I know lots of people that hate either 7 or 8. But if someone hates both of those, I'm surprised that 9 would bring them back on board.
Greg Zinn

gogolen
Holotable username: gogolen
GEMP Username: gogolen

Post by gogolen »

Gergall wrote:
December 21st, 2019, 7:33 pm
Movie reaction from a friend of mine on Facebook who hates 7 and 8:
As a staunch hater of the new Disney Star Wars Movies I will say that not only was the new Rise of Skywalker an exceptionally good Star Wars Movie but it made Episodes VII and VIII actually tolerable movies.

I was very surprised and impressed as I went into it thinking I was going to hate it and walk out dissapointed as I had with Episodes VII and VIII. I watched lost when it was on and learned very quickly that JJ Abrams has no idea how to finish stories that he has started. Not only did he finish the story of this 3 movie Arc but of the entire 9 movie arc somewhat masterfully.
Just posting that here because it's an unusual position. I know lots of people that hate either 7 or 8. But if someone hates both of those, I'm surprised that 9 would bring them back on board.
Just saw it today, and I actually am in the same boat. 7 was such a disappointing re-hash, and 8 was incredibly underwhelming, but 9 was definitely a big improvement. Good way to tie everything together, bring back some old faces and revisit some planets (like Lucas did with the SE version of Return of the Jedi)

PC Store Manager
Kevbozzz wrote:I agree 100% with Gogolen's responses.
Now streaming games on Youtube & Twitch- please subscribe to my channels- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjqwgj ... Xu5T9vp4AQ
Twitch- https://www.twitch.tv/gogolen

NEW & RETURNING PLAYER ARTICLES- https://forum.starwarsccg.org/viewt ... 32&t=50486

hanotsri

Post by hanotsri »

Spoiler
Show
I posted a new ranking on Slack, but I think I need to think about it more.

I'll start off by saying I enjoyed all three movies in the sequel trilogy individually. But Lucasfilm really dropped the ball developing the trilogy. It absolutely needed a creative showrunner right from the beginning (my vote would have been Dave Filoni). They didn't do that. Either JJ needed to run this show from the start and finish it up or they needed to rein JJ in with this movie and not have checklist of things to say FU to from TLJ. Most of the time, FUs felt forced and not a natural part of the story.

Originally, I also wasn't a fan of bringing back Palpatine / Sith, mostly because I thought it was an affront to the Chosen One prophecy. It's clear to me now, based on historical publications, that Lucasfilm views the prophecy differently.

For one, the Chosen One prophecy clearly wasn't something Lucas was thinking about until he was developing the prequel trilogy. He gave his blessing for the Dark Empire trilogy in the EU. It's clear this trilogy drew a lot of inspiration from it..."Supreme Leader," Force Projection, Emperor reborn, a planet full of Sith devotees, etc.

I understand at the time there was such a thing as G-level canon (i.e. Lucas could overwrite anything established in the EU with his projects), but the reality is even after the prequels came out and the Clone Wars television show started...Lucasfilm was happy to allow its publications to continue to reference the Dark Empire trilogy and allow its novelists to reintroduce the Sith (even creating a whole new Sith cult in the process). That doesn't mean that Lucas necessarily approved of all of these EU entries, but Lucasfilm certainly signed off on them and George did nothing to stop it.

I realize I have to just temper my expectations. So setting all of that aside...what did I think of the Emperor's return? Other than missing the pieces of connecting the Emperor's Contingency from Shattered Empire, Aftermath, Alphabet Squadron, etc with his plan in this film, I was okay with it. I preferred it over Dark Empire. I like through the use of Sith Magic and the presumably the dark side of the Force, his spirit was able to live on in his corpse. Much better than jumping from clone to clone. I particularly enjoyed the additions to Sith mythology that the apprentice who murdered their master inherits the spirits of the previous Sith. I will be interested in exploring that at some point. I also liked he was full on Sith in this. Rather than a Sith ruling a secular Empire. Canon suggests not many people in the Empire knew Palpatine and Vader were Sith. I loved seeing the Sith cultists in the stands and hints at Sith alchemy, magic, and technology.

I think we'll get the tale at some point how this all came together at some point (maybe even in the Expanded edition novel). I do hope the Sith are gone for good at this point, but as I stated above, I doubt that will be the case.

After I worked out all the things that bothered me, I really really enjoyed my second watch. It was a fun ride.

I honestly hope the next set of films dives into the Old Republic.

OrehRuoy
Sealed Deck
Sealed Deck
GEMP Username: orehruoy

Post by OrehRuoy »

When do we get Ben Solo who can be out same time as Kylo

Xanth
World Champion
World Champion

Post by Xanth »

It had some goofy parts, and it had some rushed script work, but the good parts were so incredibly good that I literally couldn't stop tears from flowing as the credits rolled.
Now taking orders for your SWCCG and Hobby needs!
Shadow 14 wrote:I officially love you now, Tom!
Advocate wrote: Tom Haid will make us all regret this probably.

mingtown
GEMP Username: mingtown

Post by mingtown »

Yikes. This movie was a mess.

I'm with Matt on this one. Let the ST die, kill it if you have to.
Image Image
2018 WI State Champ
2019 MPC Consolation Top 4

Saladas

Post by Saladas »

jon2189 wrote:
December 21st, 2019, 12:30 am
Spoiler
Show
it had literally 1 second of wedge. that made it epic.

mrfahrenheit7
DS Region: Endor
DS Region: Endor
GEMP Username: mjturner

Post by mrfahrenheit7 »

Saladas wrote:
jon2189 wrote:
December 21st, 2019, 12:30 am
Spoiler
Show
it had literally 1 second of wedge. that made it epic.
And his line was so great.
Mike Turner - 2017 & 2018 Montana State Champion, 2018 Washington State Champion
Hunter wrote:Someone just outhookied thehooky.
TacoBill wrote:Your game plan is to lose the AC? Seems questionable

TB
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold

Post by TB »

Xanth wrote:
December 21st, 2019, 10:36 pm
It had some goofy parts, and it had some rushed script work, but the good parts were so incredibly good that I literally couldn't stop tears from flowing as the credits rolled.
amen, brother.
Results:
European Championships 2014 - 3rd place
European Championships 2013 - 8th place
Toola Regionals 2013 - runner up
European Championships 2011 - 5th place

Spoiler Man
Anthology
Anthology

Post by Spoiler Man »

Some different YT reviews, one positive - Star Wars Explained - one pretty negative - Jeffrey Jahns - and one thats 'not negative' but not positive - Chris Stuckman (former Death Star YTuber):

Stuckman:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdwPVxotGBE (19:11)

Jahns:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hobn57uzQlk (movie review) (9:27) (spoiler free)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZYppNS7mbM (spoiler movie review) (19:07)

Star Wars explained:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zckNkregulI (19:25)

Enjoy.

Return to “Off Topic”