Favorite Star Wars Novels that are not the Thrawn Trilogy

Corran
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold
GEMP Username: corran

Favorite Star Wars Novels that are not the Thrawn Trilogy

Post by Corran »

We've clearly got some opinionated Star Wars Literature fans over in the Sequel Trilogy thread. Let's change the tone. What are some of your favorite Star Wars novels? Nobody is allowed to say the Thrawn Trilogy.

Some of my favorites:

Legends:
Splinter of the Mind's Eye
Darth Plagueis
Kenobi
Scoundrels
Dark Lord: The Rise of Darth Vader
The New Jedi Order: Traitor
The New Jedi Order: Dark Journey

Canon:
Dark Disciple
Ahsoka
Lords of the Sith
Thrawn(Only the first book)

Check out Bad Deck Breakdowns, a Star Wars CCG Deckbuilding podcast, on the podcatcher of your choice or https://www.kendallcast.ninja
dvphimself wrote: https://www.twitch.tv/kendallcastnetwork/ is my favourite SWCCG channel.
ashnolo wrote: I'm using OCS to prepare for Kendall in Corellia League play

chriskelly
Design Advocate

Re: Favorite Star Wars Novels that are not the Thrawn Trilogy

Post by chriskelly »

Bloodline, Leia of Alderaan, and Tarkin were all very good.

Master and Apprentice and Dooku Jedi Lost were pretty good. Same with Most Wanted. Thrawn books were also pretty good (but haven’t read the third one yet).

Phasma was okay. Half of Legends of Luke Skywalker was great and half was so bad it makes it only “okay.” (Which is a shame- it explains why his mechanical hand is exposed and Debra onto how he survives on ahch-to.)

Queen’s Shadow and From A Certain Point Of View were bad (some stories in CPOV were okay, I suppose).

Last Shot was the worst book of the new canon I’ve read so far.

Legends-wise: I liked Shadows of the Empire.

Corran
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold

Post by Corran »

chriskelly wrote:
January 4th, 2020, 10:49 am
Bloodline, Leia of Alderaan, and Tarkin were all very good.

Master and Apprentice and Dooku Jedi Lost were pretty good. Same with Most Wanted. Thrawn books were also pretty good (but haven’t read the third one yet).

Phasma was okay. Half of Legends of Luke Skywalker was great and half was so bad it makes it only “okay.” (Which is a shame- it explains why his mechanical hand is exposed and Debra onto how he survives on ahch-to.)

Queen’s Shadow and From A Certain Point Of View were bad (some stories in CPOV were okay, I suppose).

Last Shot was the worst book of the new canon I’ve read so far.

Legends-wise: I liked Shadows of the Empire.
I really wish they'd curated and/or edited From A Certain Point Of View better. Some of the stories were great(John Hamm narating the Boba Fett story was so cool on the audio book). It's just the way it was formatted and the shear number of stories made it feel like a slog. I downloaded it for my trip to Nationals last year(about 14 hours each way) and still haven't finished it.

Master and Apprentice, Dooku Jedi Lost, and Most Wanted are all on my list of stuff to read. I'm glad to hear they're decent.
Check out Bad Deck Breakdowns, a Star Wars CCG Deckbuilding podcast, on the podcatcher of your choice or https://www.kendallcast.ninja
dvphimself wrote: https://www.twitch.tv/kendallcastnetwork/ is my favourite SWCCG channel.

shawnd1984
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold
GEMP Username: Shawnd1984

Post by shawnd1984 »

Bane Trilogy
Plagueis
Shadows of the Empire

There was a good one about Darth Maul in prison which I enjoyed.
3MW0J8 wrote: "B-but... Muh Force drain bonuses!".

fungineer
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold
Holotable username: fungineer
GEMP Username: fungineer

Post by fungineer »

Corran wrote:
January 4th, 2020, 10:10 am
We've clearly got some opinionated Star Wars Literature fans over in the Sequel Trilogy thread. Let's change the tone. What are some of your favorite Star Wars novels? Nobody is allowed to say the Thrawn Trilogy.

I assume you mean no one can say the original EU thrawn trillogy, seeing the new one is also a trilogy (at least so far).
* Congrats if you read through my whole post. Have a cookie, it's in your cache.
* https://gemp.starwarsccg.org/gemp-swccg Play for free, even if you don't own good cards. Then play in real life, with real people, even if you aren't any good.
Image Image Image
Sagnet wrote:At this point, I think your posts are more unclear than the rules are.

Cam Solusar

Post by Cam Solusar »

Wraith Squadron
Iron Fist
Solo Command
Isards Revenge
Starfighters of Adumar
Mercy Kill
Specter of the Past
Vision of the Future
MedStar Duology
Survivor's Quest
Outbound Flight

I could name a lot of others, but those are among my favorites.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Camden Y, Southern California
BrenDerlin wrote:These movies aren't called Star Battles, yo.

Corran
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold

Post by Corran »

fungineer wrote:
January 4th, 2020, 11:31 am
Corran wrote:
January 4th, 2020, 10:10 am

I assume you mean no one can say the original EU thrawn trillogy, seeing the new one is also a trilogy (at least so far).
Yeah. Historically, whenever I ask for EU fans' favorite books, they always say Heir to the Empire, and I wanted people to dig a little deeper. Initially I was going to say favorite under rated/obscure novel. Then I realized that I live under a rock and don't even know what people think of as obscure any more.

Also, I remember really enjoying Darth Maul Lockdown, particularly because it has a complete EU timeline in the front since it was the second to last novel to be released and Honor Among Thieves had already been announced.

CategoryOneGames.com
GEMP Username: Categoryon

Post by CategoryOneGames.com »

I loved the Boba Fett trilogy of books The Bounty Hunter Wars where he's pulled from the Sarlic and it deals a lot with Black Sun and the Bounty Hunter Guild. I enjoy these stories involving more these type of Bounty Hunter types - Might be why I like the Mandalorian so much.

The pre-Episode 1 books like Darth Plagueis and Cloak of Deception were great.

Besides the first three Zahn wrote, I loved things like Outbound flight and the two book Hand of Thrawn and Survivor's Quest. I loved how they wove so much into the cannon. It was cool that the Emperor had all these plans upon plans including knowing a big threat was coming from deep space.

I enjoyed Jana Solo as a character and the later book series before they rebooted it.

The Tales series were a lot of fun if not always cannon.

There are tons of comics from Dark Horse and I enjoyed almost all of them to varying degrees. I used to have all the Dark Horse books and wish I still did.
Last edited by CategoryOneGames.com on January 4th, 2020, 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CategoryOneGames.com
GEMP Username: Categoryon

Post by CategoryOneGames.com »

I rarely touch the new books because I just stopped caring nearly as much once they rebooted it but here's what I've gotten into so far.

The Tarkin book was good - he's my favorite character so a fun read.

A New Dawn - terrible, I didn't get far into it and left me little hope with the future of the SW books if this is what we were getting.

Dooku Jedi Lost - feels like a kids book, I'm about halfway through and I'm not sure if I want to even bother finishing it.

That's it from these new books, they just don't have the depth and intricate details the classic books did.

AdmiralMotti89
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold

Post by AdmiralMotti89 »

It's been almost a decade since I read a SW novel, but if the "Tales From..." collections count those would be towards the top.
Eric Garchow
My eBay Store 10% off orders of 10+ items, plus free shipping on orders of $50+
My videos/photos of opening sealed SWCCG + other SWCCG things.
My Frequently Updating SWCCG Wants List

Corran
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold

Post by Corran »

CategoryOneGames.com wrote:
January 4th, 2020, 1:11 pm
I rarely touch the new books because I just stopped caring nearly as much once they rebooted it but here's what I've gotten into so far.

The Tarkin book was good - he's my favorite character so a fun read.

A New Dawn - terrible, I didn't get far into it and left me little hope with the future of the SW books if this is what we were getting.

Dooku Jedi Lost - feels like a kids book, I'm about halfway through and I'm not sure if I want to even bother finishing it.

That's it from these new books, they just don't have the depth and intricate details the classic books did.
I loved A New Dawn. I can't believe I forgot to put it in my OP.

hanotsri

Post by hanotsri »

Canon:
1 - Bloodline
2 - Ahsoka
3 - Master & Apprentice
4 - Lost Stars
5a - Aftermath: Empire's End
5b - Resistance Reborn

Legends:
1 - NJO: Star By Star
2 - Revan
3 - Cloak of Deception
4 - Hand of Thrawn Duology
5a - Bane Trilogy
5b - Darth Plagueis

Incidentally, this whole topic has convinced me to revisit some old EU favorites.

imrahil327
Tournament Advocate

Post by imrahil327 »

Favorite Star Wars Novels
Oooh!
that are not the Thrawn Trilogy
Ah.

Hunter wrote:Sebulba's W-L record is like...Always and 1. Tebow's is nowhere near that percentage.
allstarz97, about M:TG wrote:I feel like Michael Jordan playing baseball.

Corran
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold

Post by Corran »

imrahil327 wrote:
January 4th, 2020, 3:05 pm
Favorite Star Wars Novels
Oooh!
that are not the Thrawn Trilogy
Ah.

Nothing against the Thrawn Trilogy, just trying to get people to dig a little deeper.
hanotsri wrote:
January 4th, 2020, 2:48 pm
Canon:
1 - Bloodline
2 - Ahsoka
3 - Master & Apprentice
4 - Lost Stars
5a - Aftermath: Empire's End
5b - Resistance Reborn

Legends:
1 - NJO: Star By Star
2 - Revan
3 - Cloak of Deception
4 - Hand of Thrawn Duology
5a - Bane Trilogy
5b - Darth Plagueis

Incidentally, this whole topic has convinced me to revisit some old EU favorites.
The Star Wars Literature group that I alienated myself from was obsessed with Lost Stars. I never read it. All this talk of NJO stuff makes me want to enter some sort of time warp and magically read all of the NJO novels. I wish they were available in unabridged audio form...

OrehRuoy
Sealed Deck
Sealed Deck
GEMP Username: orehruoy

Post by OrehRuoy »

Think the only one I've read was the one telling the stories of the other bounty hunters (other than Boba Fett) that were in The Empire Strikes Back. Anyone know the name?

Corran
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold

Post by Corran »

OrehRuoy wrote:
January 4th, 2020, 3:39 pm
Think the only one I've read was the one telling the stories of the other bounty hunters (other than Boba Fett) that were in The Empire Strikes Back. Anyone know the name?
Tales of the Bounty Hunters? That's another favorite of mine, although it does have a tale of Boba Fett.

OrehRuoy
Sealed Deck
Sealed Deck
GEMP Username: orehruoy

Post by OrehRuoy »

Corran wrote:
January 4th, 2020, 3:42 pm
OrehRuoy wrote:
January 4th, 2020, 3:39 pm
Tales of the Bounty Hunters? That's another favorite of mine, although it does have a tale of Boba Fett.
Oh maybe I remember wrong. I was in Jr High when I read it.

arebelspy
World Champion
World Champion

Post by arebelspy »

All those Tales books are great. Cantina, Bounty Hunters, Jabbas Palace, New Republic(?), empire, etc.

imrahil327
Tournament Advocate

Post by imrahil327 »

arebelspy wrote:
January 4th, 2020, 4:20 pm
All those Tales books are great. Cantina, Bounty Hunters, Jabbas Palace, New Republic(?), empire, etc.
I read the first three; had no idea they had continued the series. There's also another book of short stories that I own but haven't read called "From a Certain Point of View"
Hunter wrote:Sebulba's W-L record is like...Always and 1. Tebow's is nowhere near that percentage.
allstarz97, about M:TG wrote:I feel like Michael Jordan playing baseball.

jcb213
Booster Box
Booster Box

Post by jcb213 »

All the x-wing novels, but especially the ones written by Aaron Allston.
James Barnes

Return to “Off Topic”