Star Wars - The Clone Wars

hanotsri

Star Wars - The Clone Wars

Post by hanotsri »

The final season streams beginning February 21st.

Here is the official trailer:

https://youtu.be/ZLW2jkd6E7g

Finally we'll get the Siege of Mandalore and presumably "The Night of a Thousand Tears" mentioned by Moff Gideon in The Mandalorian

Gergall

Re: Star Wars - The Clone Wars

Post by Gergall »

I never watched the show before, but with D+ my son got into it and has been going through in order since November. He's in the middle of season 4.

I pick up a good amount of what he's watching but also miss a lot. From what I've seen the show seemed to start out oriented more towards kids but by later seasons seems to be targeting a teenage/adult audience. My guess is that at first they expected that cartoons would attract kid viewers, but once they saw their viewer demographics they started to make adjustments.

Another thing I noticed is that over time the animators seem to have gotten a lot more skilled at using the tools that were given to them. I caught most of the General Krell episodes. The battles on that planet (Umbara?) looked fantastic.

Now, a lot more time has passed - the demographics are clear and even the former kid viewers are older now. I expect this new season will be especially... watchable.
Greg Zinn

hanotsri

Post by hanotsri »

Gergall wrote:
January 22nd, 2020, 10:36 am
I never watched the show before, but with D+ my son got into it and has been going through in order since November. He's in the middle of season 4.

I pick up a good amount of what he's watching but also miss a lot. From what I've seen the show seemed to start out oriented more towards kids but by later seasons seems to be targeting a teenage/adult audience. My guess is that at first they expected that cartoons would attract kid viewers, but once they saw their viewer demographics they started to make adjustments.

Another thing I noticed is that over time the animators seem to have gotten a lot more skilled at using the tools that were given to them. I caught most of the General Krell episodes. The battles on that planet (Umbara?) looked fantastic.

Now, a lot more time has passed - the demographics are clear and even the former kid viewers are older now. I expect this new season will be especially... watchable.
The Umbara arc was great.

I'd highly recommend watching the Mandalorian arcs, the Maul arcs, and Ahsoka's arc at the end of season 5 before seeing this final season.

darkjediknight11
Communications Advocate
GEMP Username: djk11

Post by darkjediknight11 »

https://twitter.com/thomasLharper/statu ... 8544551936

i love it when star wars gets to not pretend like each project is in a completely separate universe from the others

hanotsri

Post by hanotsri »

Are you suggesting that connectivity is bad?

darkjediknight11
Communications Advocate

no i'm being serious. it's one of the things that pisses me off about the sequel trilogy the most.

Gergall

Post by Gergall »

Oh yeah that's another thing that really impressed me about Clone Wars. They work in tons of existing species and planets without beating you over the head with it. To cite one example, they did an arc of 3 episodes on Mon Calamari. Ackbar plays a meaningful role in it but they didn't force him into being the main Mon Cal character.

That alone would have been enough to impress me but they took it farther, the arc is about the Mon Cal relationship with the Quarren. I was really surprised. I play SWCCG and I just barely have heard of Quarren.

That's just one example, the thing about Clone Wars is that they do this level of continuity constantly without making the galaxy feel small.
Greg Zinn

imrahil327
Tournament Advocate

Post by imrahil327 »

darkjediknight11 wrote:
January 22nd, 2020, 2:24 pm
no i'm being serious. it's one of the things that pisses me off about the sequel trilogy the most.
Second.

And yeah, that was a sweet easter egg in the trailer, I'm very hype for this but I need to re-watch.
Hunter wrote:Sebulba's W-L record is like...Always and 1. Tebow's is nowhere near that percentage.
allstarz97, about M:TG wrote:I feel like Michael Jordan playing baseball.

hanotsri

Post by hanotsri »

imrahil327 wrote:
January 23rd, 2020, 1:34 pm
And yeah, that was a sweet easter egg in the trailer, I'm very hype for this but I need to re-watch.
Here are my recommendations for those wanting to rewatch, but don't really want to go through all six seasons:

Mandalore
S2E12 - The Mandalore Plot
S2E13 - Voyage of Temptation
S2E14 - Duchess of Mandalore
S3E5 - Corruption
S3E6 - The Academy

The Return of Maul
S3E14 - Witches of the Mist (first hint that Maul is alive)

Darkness on Umbara
S4E7 - Darkness on Umbara
S4E8 - The General
S4E9 - Plan of Dissent
S4E10 - Carnage of Krell

Mandalore / The Return of Maul (Cont.)
S4E21 - Brothers
S4E22 - Revenge
S4E23 - Revival
S5E14 - Eminence
S5E15 - Shades of Reason
S5E16 - The Lawless

Ahsoka
S5E17 - Sabotage
S5E18 - The Jedi Who Knew Too Much
S5E19 - To Catch a Jedi
S5E20 - The Wrong Jedi

The Truth Revealed?
S6E01 - The Unknown
S6E02 - Conspiracy
S6E03 - Fugitive
S6E04 - Orders

Whatever happened to Sifo-Dyas?
06E10 - The Lost

The last few episodes of Season 06 have an interesting Yoda-centric tale as well.

I would also highly recommend reading the Darth Maul - Son of Dathomir graphic novel (free on Amazon Prime if you have it). This graphic novel was written from a planned TCW script to continue Maul's story (before it was cancelled) after The Lawless but before the upcoming Siege of Mandalore arc in TCW Season 07. I haven't heard anything suggesting that it would be adapted in this season, my guess is we'll see some of the events through flashbacks.

...and just because I am a nerd, I figured I'd throw in bonus recommendations from Star Wars Rebels that continue the Mandalorian and Maul threads. The Mandalorian Disney + show somewhat continues the Mandalorian threads from both The Clone Wars and Rebels

S1E7 - Out of Darkness (Mandalorian background from Sabine)
S2E8 - Blood Sisters
S2E13 - The Protector of Concord Dawn
S2E19 - Twilight of the Apprentice, Part 1 (Maul)
S2E20 - Twilight of the Apprentice, Part 2 (Maul)
S3E3 - The Holocrons of Fate (Maul)
S3E7 - Imperial Supercommandos
S3E11 - Visions and Voices (Maul)
S3E15 - Trials of the Darksaber
S3E16 - Legacy of Mandalore
S3E20 - Twin Suns (Maul)
S3E21 - Zero Hour, Part 1
S3E22 - Zero Hour, Part 2
S4E1 - The Heroes of Mandalore, Part 1
S4E2 - The Heroes of Mandalore, Part 2

chriskelly
Design Advocate

Post by chriskelly »

Sweet list. Thank you Hanotsri!

Gergall

Post by Gergall »

hanotsri wrote:
January 24th, 2020, 5:03 pm
Mandalore / The Return of Maul (Cont.)
S4E21 - Brothers
S4E22 - Revenge
S4E23 - Revival
S5E14 - Eminence
S5E15 - Shades of Reason
S5E16 - The Lawless
My son and I aren't up to these yet but I took a peek at Wikipedia because D+ had Revival in a different season than you.

D+ has Revival as Season 5, Ep 1. Apparently it's a little bit of a tricky episode. It belongs right before Eminence, but they bumped it up to the season premiere for those sweet Darth Maul ratings. The Blu-ray actually puts the Revival episode back where it belongs before Eminence.

Thank you Wikipedia for these fun facts!
Greg Zinn

hanotsri

Post by hanotsri »

Gergall wrote:
January 24th, 2020, 9:39 pm
My son and I aren't up to these yet but I took a peek at Wikipedia because D+ had Revival in a different season than you.

D+ has Revival as Season 5, Ep 1. Apparently it's a little bit of a tricky episode. It belongs right before Eminence, but they bumped it up to the season premiere for those sweet Darth Maul ratings. The Blu-ray actually puts the Revival episode back where it belongs before Eminence.

Thank you Wikipedia for these fun facts!
The episodes starting with Eminence through The Wrong Jedi to close out Season 05 are the best in the series. You're in for a treat.

Corran
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold
GEMP Username: corran

Post by Corran »

Super excited to see moments from RoTS in the trailer. When Clone Wars was at its best, it was some of the best Star Wars content ever.
Check out Bad Deck Breakdowns, a Star Wars CCG Deckbuilding podcast, on the podcatcher of your choice or https://www.kendallcast.ninja
ketwol wrote: There are good cards which aren't frequently played and blow people out. You just have to invest some time and be creative ;)

darkjediknight11
Communications Advocate

2/3 done and i'll admit i've been pretty underwhelmed so far. a lot of filler and imo rather pointless plots.

new trailer for the final arc though, and it does look to be pretty epic, so i'm optimistic it finishes strong.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... e=emb_logo

Corran
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold

Post by Corran »

I’ve been enjoying it. 4 episode arcs drag on a bit, and it hasn’t had a “final season” vibe, but it’s solid Star Wars comfort food.
Check out Bad Deck Breakdowns, a Star Wars CCG Deckbuilding podcast, on the podcatcher of your choice or https://www.kendallcast.ninja
ketwol wrote: There are good cards which aren't frequently played and blow people out. You just have to invest some time and be creative ;)

darkjediknight11
Communications Advocate

i guess i just expected more substance. they bring it back from the dead in order to tell a distinct conclusive storyline...and you spend 1/3 of the season with clones on a mission that doesn't really matter, and another 1/3 of the season running in circles on a pointless hijinks mission with random numpties

The Franchise

Post by The Franchise »

Having not watched for a long time (maybe last episodes were when they were on mon cala? Season 4 or 5?), i wasnt sure what to expect. But like these 4 episode arcs that dont really seem to matter just seems like filler. I didnt realize only 4 episodes left, i thought maybe they would have 8 for the final arc

darkjediknight11
Communications Advocate

alright now that's more like it. gives me the feels knowing the timeline with ep3 is syncing up

Corran
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold

Post by Corran »

darkjediknight11 wrote:
April 17th, 2020, 9:02 am
alright now that's more like it. gives me the feels knowing the timeline with ep3 is syncing up
I have a feeling the last 4 episodes will be what people have been asking for.

darkjediknight11
Communications Advocate

the first one was pretty strong so i'm pretty optimistic too. idk why they couldn't have done the whole season like this though.

Return to “Off Topic”