Death Star
DS Region: Ralltiir
GEMP Username: zlorfik

Re: Coronavirus

Post by Death Star »

Hunter wrote:
June 8th, 2020, 7:08 am
I went to Google, and only got as far as "study shows s" when Google's TOP suggestion for the information I wanted was "study shows social distancing doesn't work."
And then I clicked on the top suggestion for this topic and got an article with these quotes:

"Cornell researchers say social distancing doesn’t completely stop COVID-19 from spreading"

"We find that social distancing is associated with a statistically-significant reduction in the doubling rate for all but three states. At the same time, we do not find significant evidence that social distancing has resulted in a reduction in the number of daily confirmed cases. Instead, social distancing has merely stabilized the spread of the disease."

"The new research revealed that coronavirus infections were doubling every three days before social distancing practices were initiated. When people eventually began to adhere to them by staying at home and managing a distance of at least six feet apart from others while in public, the rate slowed down even more— doubling every 100 days."

I can see how social distancing rules do not work until you, you know, adhere to them. But thats hardly the fault of social distancing rules.

Also the next hits for this topic:
- Wearing Face Masks and Social Distancing Actually Work to Contain COVID-19, According to a New Study - Time Magazin
- Why people didn't social distance - Stanford News
- Coronavirus: Face masks and social distancing do work, but... - Sky News

But then we get a great article! Heres the headline:
BREAKING NEWS! Covid-19 Prevention: New Study Proves That Social Distancing Of 1 to 3 Meters Is Nothing But Fake News and Misinformation

Its from the Thailand Medical News and it reads just great and very trustworthy:
We at Thailand Medical News have always favoured stringent lockdowns, self-isolation, frequent testing as the main strategies to curtail the spread. Now with more studies emerging that social distancing really does not work, we strongly advocate that individuals and the public worldwide start taking legal actions and class suits against all sites, experts and authorities advocating social distancing of between 1 to 3 meters as these ignorant buffoons are actually endangering the lives of many.

But then again its from the 1st of april so maybe its only a bad joke...
I leave it at that.
Last edited by Death Star on June 8th, 2020, 9:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

"i know it won worlds,but it can't win anything in the local meta of michigan.we paly card for card what you ahve and still don't win"

My favorite decktech review on one of my decks.
ImageImage

allstarz97
World Champion
World Champion

Post by allstarz97 »

This thread is like the g.i.joe episode where Cobra and gi.joe teamed up to defeat serpentor. Joe, emil, bastian all teaming up to defeat a crazy long haired foe with long fingernails.

rhendon

Post by rhendon »

sac89837 wrote:
June 7th, 2020, 11:24 pm
It also affects blood clotting which is why some young people are either dying of strokes are suffering diminished cognitive function from 'mini-strokes'. It's also why the highest risk factors are related to diabetes, high blood pressure, leukemia, etc. So thanks for being careful Robbie.

In the past three months nothing that I have seen has shown that the case-mortality rate for COVID-19 is below 1%. If anything it's higher. So even with everything we did 112K+ people have died in this country, with no end in sight. It's fascinating to me that someone could look at that and think we overreacted.
Maybe. We aren't really sure what it does. Its a new virus and so much is unknown. Like we know the initial cases presented with pneumonia like symptoms and lung scarring. Most of the people dying were doing so because of lung issues. We think it can affect blood clotting because people are being tested and showing antibodies but we don't know for sure. We don't have enough data or knowledge about the virus yet.

Part of that is lack of testing. Part of that is because the data is being suppressed by governments trying to play political games.

That also plays into the mortality rate. We have no idea because we can't test people that should be tested. We haven't tested more than 10% of our population yet. CDC reports 20 million tests given. There is approx 330 million people that live in the US. Some of those tests may have been on the same person. There is so little data out there and knowledge about what is going on.
Hunter wrote:
April 8th, 2020, 5:19 am
I agree with rhendon that Joe is Scum.

JarJarDrinks

Post by JarJarDrinks »

Hunter wrote:
June 8th, 2020, 2:50 am
Person A: "Do you think it's possible that we may be overreacting?"
Person B: "No. [Course of Action] is necessary."
*Cut to when it turns out it wasn't necessary*
Person A: "See? It wasn't so bad. We overreacted."

Person A never said that we overreacted until "we are here."
This isn't real human interaction.

dx_37 wrote:
October 2nd, 2019, 12:12 pm
I would be all for a reset if I get to be on the reset team
"Faith means making a virtue out of not thinking."
- Bill Maher

"How you play the game is important. But for me, it's about if you win or lose."
- Derek Jeter

Darth_Link
World Champion
World Champion

Post by Darth_Link »

allstarz97 wrote:
June 8th, 2020, 8:54 am
This thread is like the g.i.joe episode where Cobra and gi.joe teamed up to defeat serpentor. Joe, emil, bastian all teaming up to defeat a crazy long haired foe with long fingernails.
Gold commentary
Death Star wrote:
June 8th, 2020, 8:30 am
I can see how social distancing rules do not work until you, you know, adhere to them. But thats hardly the fault of social distancing rules.
Commentary gold

Germany has certainly done better than most countries. Cause you know, you adhered to the rules. How strange.
Emil W. Sweden
ImageImage

rhendon

Post by rhendon »

Hunter wrote:
June 8th, 2020, 1:08 am
rhendon wrote:
June 7th, 2020, 9:54 pm
So how many of the high risk group have been asymptomatic?
I don't know. Some. The way I've seen it explained is that people who are high-risk and people who aren't can both get a severe case, or a mild case, or an asymptomatic case. If a high-risk person happens to get a severe case, that's when they will be in serious jeopardy. But a high-risk person could also still have an asymptomatic case, and they'll...still be asymptomatic, despite being more susceptible to the dangers of a severe case. Make sense?

So if someone says "Well *I* can't afford to get it, because I'm high-risk, and so if I get it, I'll be in way more danger" then that person has a misunderstanding of what it means to be "high-risk" and how the different severities of Covid cases work.
You literally could have stopped with I don't know. Because no one really does.

So when someone says "Well *I* can't afford to get it because I'm high-risk and so if I get it, I'll be in way more danger" then that person is afraid of the possibilities that are unknown because of information they and we do not have. They are saying they can't afford to take the risk that they will get a mild case or be asymptomatic. And that is really what this is about.
Hunter wrote:

arebelspy
World Champion
World Champion

Post by arebelspy »

Darth_Link wrote:So reading the * * in this thread is, while not unexpected, heartbreaking

Next time a lot of countries in the west will be prepared, but with Hunter's attitude the US will just continue partying, host weddings and go to the beach like it's nothing.
The encouraging silver lining is that literally everyone posting in the last day has pushed back against the one nutjob conspiracy theorist.

It's like how anti-vaxxers are depressing, but at least most people don't buy into their *. (Hmm, wonder if Hunter will tell us to just Google for an autism link.)

I'm sorry to hear you've been hit, Emil. I hope you and yours recover and stay well.

Also, thanks a lot for ruining Hunter's narrative that he doesn't know anyone that's tested positive. /s

rhendon

Post by rhendon »

arebelspy wrote:
June 8th, 2020, 11:28 am
Darth_Link wrote:So reading the * * in this thread is, while not unexpected, heartbreaking

Next time a lot of countries in the west will be prepared, but with Hunter's attitude the US will just continue partying, host weddings and go to the beach like it's nothing.
I'm sorry to hear you've been hit, Emil. I hope you and yours recover and stay well.
Holy *. Thanks for quoting this Joe. I missed Emil's response in this thread because of Hunter.

Emil - I hope you guys recover. I hope Emilia is ok now as well and is back at home.
Hunter wrote:

Death Star
GEMP Username: zlorfik

Post by Death Star »

Darth_Link wrote:
June 8th, 2020, 9:04 am
Germany has certainly done better than most countries. Cause you know, you adhered to the rules. How strange.
Rereading my post I notice that I failed to mention that I do not wear a mask at all when being outside and neither do most people here.
We do keep our distance though and the fresh air does the rest.
I also do not wear a mask indoors in private homes or at work. But we still restrict the circle of people we visit or invite to our home to a smaller group than before. Because the number of people infected at the moment is pretty low, we get by with this with the agreement that when someone gets infected (and tested) they notify their whole cirlce of people they met recently so that those can get testing etc.
We did have a game author visit us in our office for the first time again last week and we played a prototype with all 3 of us wearing masks. That was the longest time I wore a mask yet (about 2 hours straight) and sure, it was no fun. I do not envy anyone who has to work everyday with a mask on.

Also annecdotal evidence for nothing:
I was personally sick with flu like symptons for much of february and march and so was my wife. I had to take antibiotics late february because of it.
My wife recently took a antibody test and it turned out negative.
"i know it won worlds,but it can't win anything in the local meta of michigan.we paly card for card what you ahve and still don't win"

My favorite decktech review on one of my decks.
ImageImage

Wokling
GEMP Username: ototoi

Post by Wokling »

Death Star wrote:
June 8th, 2020, 11:50 am
Darth_Link wrote:
June 8th, 2020, 9:04 am
Rereading my post I notice that I failed to mention that I do not wear a mask at all when being outside and neither do most people here.
We do keep our distance though and the fresh air does the rest.
I also do not wear a mask indoors in private homes or at work. But we still restrict the circle of people we visit or invite to our home to a smaller group than before. Because the number of people infected at the moment is pretty low, we get by with this with the agreement that when someone gets infected (and tested) they notify their whole cirlce of people they met recently so that those can get testing etc.
We did have a game author visit us in our office for the first time again last week and we played a prototype with all 3 of us wearing masks. That was the longest time I wore a mask yet (about 2 hours straight) and sure, it was no fun. I do not envy anyone who has to work everyday with a mask on.

Also annecdotal evidence for nothing:
I was personally sick with flu like symptons for much of february and march and so was my wife. I had to take antibiotics late february because of it.
My wife recently took a antibody test and it turned out negative.
My doctor told me things have been a nightmare this year for viruses. Everything is out of wack. I've been sick on and off since February, including a bad bout in March and an extended relapse in April. A recent antibody test also came up negative.

Emil, I hope you and your wife recover quickly. Bastian, I'm glad to hear that you and your wife have improved.

3MW0J8

Post by 3MW0J8 »

You guys covid is dead. George Floyd gave his life to kill it.
Brad Eier wrote:build better decks, play better cards, etc.
Advocate wrote:I would reply, but the site is down.
didn't choose the thug life..
Spoiler
Show
the thug life chose me

ImageImage

Hunter
World Champion
World Champion

Post by Hunter »

Hey Reid, did you hear that joke about the cure for Covid-19? It's a riot!
Spoiler
Show

3MW0J8

Post by 3MW0J8 »

Petty badvibes side quest incoming. Srsly don't click unless you're signing up for nerd drama. Also this post is archived to guard against edit.

Message from moderator

Removed inappropriate commentary
OK back to your regularly scheduled programming. Hey what's the official footwear of the WHO? The flip-flop! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Brad Eier wrote:build better decks, play better cards, etc.
Advocate wrote:I would reply, but the site is down.
didn't choose the thug life..
Spoiler
Show
the thug life chose me

ImageImage

JarJarDrinks

Post by JarJarDrinks »

dx_37 wrote:
October 2nd, 2019, 12:12 pm
I would be all for a reset if I get to be on the reset team
"Faith means making a virtue out of not thinking."
- Bill Maher

"How you play the game is important. But for me, it's about if you win or lose."
- Derek Jeter

arebelspy
World Champion
World Champion

Post by arebelspy »

3MW0J8 wrote:
June 9th, 2020, 2:33 pm
Petty badvibes side quest incoming. Srsly don't click unless you're signing up for nerd drama. Also this post is archived to guard against edit/deletion.

<snip>

Strong words.

The WHO joke was 100

SmallDarkLines
GEMP Username: Tardis

Post by SmallDarkLines »

Message from moderator

Folks, just a friendly request: Both of the issues raised here are sensitive.
Please refrain from jokes that are likely to cause offence. If you think that someone might find a post distasteful, do the decent thing and don’t post it.
Remember that other members of this community may have friends and family directly impacted by these things.
New or returning player? Click here for the information you need to know.

Beat me mercilessly on GEMP: Tardis
Say hello at an event:Darren

The Franchise
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold

Post by The Franchise »

Am I being too paranoid by wearing a mask and carrying a small bottle of sanitizer with me whenever I go anywhere? I am in a higher risk group and just would hate to get this thing.

Darth_Link
World Champion
World Champion

Post by Darth_Link »

No, you are not. Definitely not. Anyone who says so doesn't understand the severity of the situation we are currently in.
Emil W. Sweden
ImageImage

Hunter
World Champion
World Champion

Post by Hunter »

Welcome back to the Hunter & Reid Variety Hour!

Hunter: Hey Reid
Reid: Yeah, Hunter?
Hunter: Did you hear the one about Coronavirus?
Reid: I don't think so. What is it?
Hunter: Nevermind. I don't wanna go spreading it around!
Spoiler
Show
:rimshot

arebelspy
World Champion
World Champion

Post by arebelspy »

Darth_Link wrote:
June 9th, 2020, 3:22 pm
No, you are not. Definitely not. Anyone who says so doesn't understand the severity of the situation we are currently in.
100%.

Even if you weren't high risk, that is totally reasonable.

Return to “Off Topic”