Message from moderator

Inappropriate content removed

Madmanwithabox
GEMP Username: Tardis

Re: Coronavirus

Post by Madmanwithabox »

The Franchise wrote:
June 9th, 2020, 3:13 pm
Am I being too paranoid by wearing a mask and carrying a small bottle of sanitizer with me whenever I go anywhere? I am in a higher risk group and just would hate to get this thing.
Nope, also in the higher risk group, I don’t even go outside if I can help it.
New or returning player? Click here for the information you need to know.

Beat me mercilessly on GEMP: Tardis
Say hello at an event:Darren

Madmanwithabox
GEMP Username: Tardis

Post by Madmanwithabox »

arebelspy wrote:
June 9th, 2020, 3:28 pm
someone edited my post
Apologies, that was me - you’d quoted the whole post, including the bit under the spoiler (which was all that was removed).
New or returning player? Click here for the information you need to know.

Beat me mercilessly on GEMP: Tardis
Say hello at an event:Darren

Hunter
World Champion
World Champion

Post by Hunter »

Am I the only one that got Brad's joke? lol
You guys are a mess. *shakes head*

rhendon

Post by rhendon »

https://www.yahoo.com/news/psychopaths- ... 02699.html

This article explains so much about some of the community.

JarJarDrinks

Post by JarJarDrinks »

Hunter wrote:
June 9th, 2020, 3:32 pm
read it like 3 times. No clue.
dx_37 wrote:
October 2nd, 2019, 12:12 pm
I would be all for a reset if I get to be on the reset team
"Faith means making a virtue out of not thinking."
- Bill Maher

"How you play the game is important. But for me, it's about if you win or lose."
- Derek Jeter

The Franchise

Post by The Franchise »

Hunter wrote:
?

spideyguy0

Post by spideyguy0 »

The Franchise wrote:
June 9th, 2020, 3:13 pm
Am I being too paranoid by wearing a mask and carrying a small bottle of sanitizer with me whenever I go anywhere? I am in a higher risk group and just would hate to get this thing.
I've been carrying sanitizer with me for years, it's a must in my line of work. In the beginning, I was doing mask and latex gloves whenever I went out. I've since ditched the gloves. I would not go out without a mask though.
Casey A. - New York, NY
Image Image

arebelspy

Post by arebelspy »

The Franchise wrote:
June 9th, 2020, 4:21 pm
Hunter wrote:
?
My best guess is that Hunter read too much into it due to his COVID-denier status, he thought you were trolling/joking asking that.

Hunter
World Champion
World Champion

Post by Hunter »

JarJarDrinks wrote:
June 8th, 2020, 8:57 am
Ah yes. "The Man. The Myth. The Legend."
I remember those articles. For years afterward, there were a couple of people who would continue to say "Tiger Style!" when seeing me at events. :)
So I guess the theory that I'm a machine goes back to...I don't know, 2002 or so?
I don't really have any evidence to debunk it, so I'll let you have this one.

Hunter
World Champion
World Champion

Post by Hunter »

Darth_Link wrote:
June 8th, 2020, 9:04 am
allstarz97 wrote:
June 8th, 2020, 8:54 am
This thread is like the g.i.joe episode where Cobra and gi.joe teamed up to defeat serpentor. Joe, emil, bastian all teaming up to defeat a crazy long haired foe with long fingernails.
Gold commentary
Ehhh...not some of his better work. I don't think he'll ever look back on that one with pride. But I guess I'm flattered that although he hasn't seen me in 7 or 8 years, he's been trying to stay up-to-date on the length of my fingernails.

I had the Serpentor figure, and I had the GI Joe movie on VHS and watched it quite a number of times. I don't remember Serpentor having long hair OR long fingernails, so the 2 sentences don't really have much to do with each other, and the comparison just kinda fails. There would surely have been much better options available.

I think I'd enjoy being the subject of a "Roast" more than most would, and there have been some jokes that were originally made at my expense that I've personally helped to keep alive, by continuing to reference them. Because they were funny! But the above isn't really funny OR clever. There's just...nothing there.

I'll give it 2/10 but I have to add that it feels like I'm being generous. I would probably call it more like 1.5, if I wasn't just such an h2o fanboy.

So if you're going to call that "Gold commentary" then if we're being honest, he probably could have just said "Hunter bad!" and you'd still be sitting there lapping it up. Because it would seem that you are just. that. simple.

Hunter
World Champion
World Champion

Post by Hunter »

arebelspy wrote:
June 8th, 2020, 11:28 am
the one nutjob conspiracy theorist.
Sounded like this was supposed to refer to me, but I don't follow. You'll have to let me know exactly what "conspiracy" you hallucinated me putting forth in any of these posts.
arebelspy wrote:
Also, thanks a lot for ruining Hunter's narrative that he doesn't know anyone that's tested positive. /s
Narrative, huh? And if I said that my left shoe is untied, would you label that a "narrative" too? As opposed to just a straightforward statement of fact?
I don't know anyone that's tested positive. If the "/s" is supposed to mean "end sarcasm" then I should probably let you know that there's usually a *little* more to sarcasm than just saying things that aren't true.
And yeah, me not knowing anyone that's tested positive *would* have changed, if Darth_Link was someone that I knew. But...he's not. Don't know what he looks like...sounds like...anything, really. Earlier in the thread, I've mentioned relatives, and friends, and work colleagues, and casual acquaintances. But he's firmly in the "None of the above" category for me (and I'm sure it's mutual).
So he might be someone that *you* know, but to me, he's just some words on a screen.

Hunter
World Champion
World Champion

Post by Hunter »

rhendon wrote:
June 8th, 2020, 8:55 am
We aren't really sure what it does. Its a new virus and so much is unknown. Like we know the initial cases presented with pneumonia like symptoms and lung scarring. Most of the people dying were doing so because of lung issues. We think it can affect blood clotting because people are being tested and showing antibodies but we don't know for sure. We don't have enough data or knowledge about the virus yet.

Part of that is lack of testing. Part of that is because the data is being suppressed by governments trying to play political games.

That also plays into the mortality rate. We have no idea because we can't test people that should be tested.
Well we have SOME idea about mortality rate.

SARS killed you in about 11% of cases.
MERS killed you in about 35% of cases.
ebola killed you in over 80% of cases (don't get ebola. If you get ebola, you're gonna have a bad time.)

With Covid, we have no idea how many cases there are going to be, so the best you can do is try to guesstimate what percentage of the people who'll get infected will end up dying from it. Those guesstimates are bound to be an imperfect science, for SURE. But enough was understood that the institutions making those estimates knew better than to ever say "maybe about like SARS?" much less "maybe about like ebola?" Right from the outset, it was obvious that this infection is NOWHERE NEAR as dangerous as ANY of those others.

Wikipedia sez that back in February, the WHO estimated the infection fatality rate to be somewhere between 0.33% and 1%
The CDC's website said that on April 14th, their best estimate was also 0.33%
The CDC's latest estimate has been revised down to 0.26%
The CEBM thinks it may be as low as 0.10%

And this is all despite the FACT that city officials in the USA have been caught (and then ADMITTED to) putting Covid-19 on THOUSANDS of death certificates, based only on SUSPICION, with no test actually being administered.

[Remainder of post not directed at rhendon, or any person in particular]

The *general* trend for these organizations has been to bring these numbers lower as time goes on, not higher. So I would not want to lay any money saying that the estimates have bottomed-out yet. And if you set the line at 0.10%...I'll take the under.

I think that in the final analysis, we're going to see the fatality rate on this thing settle in at under one-tenth of one percent. So that if the only 2 things we know about a person are:

A) It's a human being
and
B) They just got Covid-19

then they have *better* than a 99.9% chance of recovery.

With the Coranavirus being as easily transmissible as it is, 0.10% would still add up to a big number. But what percentage of Americans will see their lives destroyed by the lockdowns? Is THAT less than 0.10%? Hell no, it isn't.

If someone can't (or won't) understand that the Covid PANIC has caused immensely (IMMENSELY!) more damage than the Coronavirus itself could have ever DREAMED of achieving, then I don't know what's left to say to them. Some folk just can't be helped, I guess.

Shadow 14
Retired Advocate

Post by Shadow 14 »

Hunter wrote:
June 10th, 2020, 4:08 am
arebelspy wrote:
Also, thanks a lot for ruining Hunter's narrative that he doesn't know anyone that's tested positive. /s
Narrative, huh? And if I said that my left shoe is untied, would you label that a "narrative" too? As opposed to just a straightforward statement of fact?
I don't know anyone that's tested positive. If the "/s" is supposed to mean "end sarcasm" then I should probably let you know that there's usually a *little* more to sarcasm than just saying things that aren't true.
And yeah, me not knowing anyone that's tested positive *would* have changed, if Darth_Link was someone that I knew. But...he's not. Don't know what he looks like...sounds like...anything, really. Earlier in the thread, I've mentioned relatives, and friends, and work colleagues, and casual acquaintances. But he's firmly in the "None of the above" category for me (and I'm sure it's mutual).
So he might be someone that *you* know, but to me, he's just some words on a screen.
Darth Link is one of the two time World champions, a member of the hall of fame, and a well respected member of this community.
So, if he says he and his wife have covid-19, then that's the point where you should stop provoking people and tone it down a notch, Hunter.
Chris (Euro Emperor) Menzel
Hannover - Germany

Image Image

allstarz97
World Champion
World Champion

Post by allstarz97 »

Brian,

I think absoluteness of your statements is what really doesn't work here. In general, that's the way you communicate, ok take it or leave it that is you, but in this context it's hard to stomach here because A. people's lives are at stake and B. there are still many unknowns, so absolute statements seem a bit off-putting.

For instance pondering if the response has been over the top or if the infection rate is higher and thus the death rate lower are somewhat reasonable things to think about. But to state them as absolutes just doesn't play. You mention that history will remember the extreme overreaction, well I suppose that's possible, but history remembers the pandemic of 1918 exactly the opposite, that people let their guard down and the spike wiped out millions more.

Lastly, marginal measures, masks, social distancing, others lowering the death rate by even 0.1% seems worth it in the context of most activities right? Like I'm a school teacher, the 1000s of kids at my school having their education hampered by having it moved online seems justified if it means that even one of their family members would die due to a younger school aged family membered transmitting it to them and it becoming fatal. The conversation does get more complex when you're talking about small businesses.

Flattered you are a h2o fanboy.

Death Star
DS Region: Ralltiir
DS Region: Ralltiir
GEMP Username: zlorfik

Post by Death Star »

Dunno really why I do this, you are free to do whatever you wanna do and believe whatever you wanna believe and I hope that your state of "nobody I know personally caught it" remains unchanged.
Hunter wrote:
June 10th, 2020, 4:18 am

Right from the outset, it was obvious that this infection is NOWHERE NEAR as dangerous as ANY of those others.
You probably mean but did not write "if you caught it". If you compare both the fatality rate and the way in which it spreads, so the virus in its whole, I cannot agree that Covid-19 is "nowhere near as dangerous" as SARS.
Hunter wrote:
And this is all despite the FACT that city officials in the USA have been caught (and then ADMITTED to) putting Covid-19 on THOUSANDS of death certificates, based only on SUSPICION, with no test actually being administered.
Caught is a weird word to use when the CDC, on their public website, instructs medical personnel to report Covid-19 as cause of death if the person in charge thinks its likely but no test has been done and there is no capacity to test afterwards.
As far as I can see, scientists still think that underreporting of deaths is more likely/prevalent than overreporting. See here:
https://www.scientificamerican.com/arti ... -counted1/
https://www.forbes.com/sites/mattperez/ ... a16fa257d5
Hunter wrote:
With the Coranavirus being as easily transmissible as it is, 0.10% would still add up to a big number. But what percentage of Americans will see their lives destroyed by the lockdowns? Is THAT less than 0.10%? Hell no, it isn't.
If someone can't (or won't) understand that the Covid PANIC has caused immensely (IMMENSELY!) more damage than the Coronavirus itself could have ever DREAMED of achieving, then I don't know what's left to say to them. Some folk just can't be helped, I guess.
This one probably depends on how you value life and how you define "live destroyed".
Would you rather have 1 of your family members die or 3 of them to lose their job? Does it make a difference to you if the person dying is your aunt who was 76 and was probably gonna die at some point within the next couple of years anyway?
Even if you rather have your aunt die (figuratively speaking of course), maybe you can at least understand other people feeling different.
"i know it won worlds,but it can't win anything in the local meta of michigan.we paly card for card what you ahve and still don't win"

My favorite decktech review on one of my decks.
ImageImage

Darth_Link
World Champion
World Champion

Post by Darth_Link »

I think it's fascinating that Hunter knows no one who tested positive, yet is certain that most people at Rhendon's work have had it?

And you guys don't need to defend me. Hunter doesn't know me, I don't know him. All I know is his online persona that ONLY speaks in absolutes, and that he was relevant in the 90s as a decent player in a dead card game that 500 play nowadays.

I aim to fight misinformation when I see it, not get people to know me.

Underreporting when it comes to this virus is 100% certain. China (where it started) haven't reported new deaths since April, when it's more likely they have 10x higher than reported. Italy didn't have time to check early on, India having so few cases is likely down to not being able to test and not being able to verify what people die off. etc

Many reports point to somewhere a 0.5- 1.5 % fatality rate, which is HIGH. Elder people at facilities my wife work at have died within 48h after testing positive. Its attack on the lungs is particularly aggressive. Healthy, fit, well-trained athletes contracting the virus have reported that it was hell to experience. You don't get that from a regular flu.
Emil W. Sweden
ImageImage

rhendon

Post by rhendon »

Well lets do the math Hunter.

In 2 years during the Ebola outbreak, Ebola infected less than 30k people (according to CDC). It killed just over 11k. So less than 50% mortality rate (even though you stated 80% above).

In 6 months of COVID worldwide, we are at 7 million cases and 404k deaths. In the US alone, we have 2 million cases and 114k deaths. Let's give you the benefit of the doubt and say that the numbers were fudged 50%. We're still at 52k deaths or 5 times what Ebola killed in 2 years.

Let's take your 0.10% mortality rate. 2 million cases (which is definitely underreported because of lack of testing), and use that 0.10 #. That .1 is still 2,000 people. Which is 1/5 of what Ebola killed in 2 years. So simple math of 4 months to 2 years shows COVID on pace to kill 12k people (in the US) in the same time frame as Ebola killed in 2 years (worldwide).

Now how can that be? The mortality rate is so much lower but yet more people are dying? That doesn't compute. Well yes it does.

Let's look at how the disease spreads. COVID is more infectious than Ebola. But it isn't even just that it is more infectious, its that it can spread before a person develops symptoms or never shows symptoms. It can spread before a person knows that they need to quarantine. If you get Ebola, you aren't contagious until you show symptoms (also symptoms show up much faster than COVID). So COVID is much harder to contain than the others. So it will spread more.

Lets look at it another way since we are all gamers. If you've ever played the game pandemic, the goal is to wipe out humanity with a disease. You typically will want to raise infection rates and do things in such a way that allows your disease to spread without alerting people that it is there. Then once you infect a bunch of people is when you will put points into symptoms that will kill them. COVID is in that first part. There isn't someone that is going to mutate it after a certain to raise its mortality but it is spreading unnoticed by people.

We wouldn't have had to shut down the economy if our leaders had pressed for social distancing, wearing masks, etc a lot sooner and told people that this was a serious disease that needed to be dealt with. Instead we had leaders pushing the same agenda that you are Hunter and people died for it. People DIED that didn't need to. People DIED because of misinformation.

That is why I wear my mask. That is why I social distance. It isn't to protect me. I do it to protect others from catching it from me because I don't know if I'm infected or not. I don't want to be the cause of someone else's death. I don't want to be part of the problem. I want to be part of the solution.

AdmiralMotti89
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold

Post by AdmiralMotti89 »

To the discussion more generally, it seems like there are two different conversations going on. One is "how can anyone not be choosing to keep their distance and wear a mask around others?" The other is "the response to covid will be viewed years from now as a massive overreaction with costs to life (both quality and quantity) and health that go far beyond the benefits."

Masks and generally keeping one's distance are quite different from locking down. Masks and distance (in a lot of cases) are not terribly burdensome. (Although even that is not that simple for business that are trying to survive with reduced capacity when it is hard enough at full capacity).

Here's pretty long video (almost 1.5 hours) that gets pretty in-depth as to whether "the lockdown has saved hundreds of thousands, if not millions, of lives and spared American hospitals the horrors of rationing care."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AtFtjk3YoO8

Interesting to note is that even the doctor debating that the initial lockdown was worth it to buy time to get ahead of the virus thinks that many of the current measures still in place go too far.
Eric Garchow
My eBay Store 10% off orders of 10+ items, plus free shipping on orders of $50+
My Trade Thread
My videos/photos of opening sealed SWCCG + other SWCCG things.
My Frequently Updating SWCCG Wants List

rhendon

Post by rhendon »

If our leaders, including our president, had taken this seriously, and convinced others to take it seriously, lockdowns wouldn't have been mandatory. We could have done just simple mask and social distancing. The problem is though people don't take it seriously. They don't wear masks and social distance. We had a chance to slow the spread drastically in February. We blew it. This is the consequence of making poor decisions.

Is a lockdown medically necessary? No. Is a lockdown required because the US is full of entitled pieces of * that can't be bothered to take this pandemic seriously? Yes.

Return to “Off Topic”