Jack Ryan
Star Wars Rebels
Firefly/Serenity

spideyguy0

Re: What are we watching

Post by spideyguy0 »

The Franchise wrote:
March 25th, 2020, 12:01 pm

Sort of considering deadwood, the wire, breaking bad, and/or mad men- any suggestions on ones to avoid?
Breaking Bad and Mad Men are both excellent, although I'd give the edge to Mad Men, which is prob in my top 5 favorite shows ever.

Never seen Deadwood, but I've heard it's good. Only saw the first season of The Wire. It was very very good, but I watch tv for escapism and it reminds me too much of work, and was a little too real, so I've never watched the other seasons.
Casey A. - New York, NY
Image Image

arebelspy

Post by arebelspy »

3MW0J8 wrote:
March 26th, 2020, 12:30 am
Hadn't been consuming streaming services months ahead of pandemic, haven't picked them back up since thanks :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:
You wouldn't have been the one I picked to make this post.

Good for you! Hope you're using that streaming time for something productive/uplifting. :-D

JarJarDrinks

Post by JarJarDrinks »

Glow
Cobra Kai (really)
dx_37 wrote:
October 2nd, 2019, 12:12 pm
I would be all for a reset if I get to be on the reset team
"Faith means making a virtue out of not thinking."
- Bill Maher

"How you play the game is important. But for me, it's about if you win or lose."
- Derek Jeter

3MW0J8

Post by 3MW0J8 »

The last show I watched and felt good about the time spent doing so was Barry.
Brad Eier wrote:build better decks, play better cards, etc.
Advocate wrote:I would reply, but the site is down.
didn't choose the thug life..
Spoiler
Show
the thug life chose me

ImageImage

Corran
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold
GEMP Username: corran

Post by Corran »

3MW0J8 wrote:
March 26th, 2020, 3:20 pm
The last show I watched and felt good about the time spent doing so was Barry.
Barry is definitely the best show currently on television.
Check out Bad Deck Breakdowns, a Star Wars CCG Deckbuilding podcast, on the podcatcher of your choice or https://www.kendallcast.ninja
dvphimself wrote: https://www.twitch.tv/kendallcastnetwork/ is my favourite SWCCG channel.
seitaer wrote: Corran's streams are great, even if he likes the last jedi

shawnd1984
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold
GEMP Username: Shawnd1984

Post by shawnd1984 »

I know nothing about it, but there's a docuseries called Tiger King that I'm hearing a lot about on podcasts/online.
3MW0J8 wrote: "B-but... Muh Force drain bonuses!".

The Franchise

Post by The Franchise »

spideyguy0 wrote:
March 26th, 2020, 11:27 am
The Franchise wrote:
March 25th, 2020, 12:01 pm

Sort of considering deadwood, the wire, breaking bad, and/or mad men- any suggestions on ones to avoid?
Breaking Bad and Mad Men are both excellent, although I'd give the edge to Mad Men, which is prob in my top 5 favorite shows ever.

Never seen Deadwood, but I've heard it's good. Only saw the first season of The Wire. It was very very good, but I watch tv for escapism and it reminds me too much of work, and was a little too real, so I've never watched the other seasons.
Started mad men last night, maybe 2 if not 3 episodes in. Seems good so far though its weird to watch a show and have someone drive away and they dont have a cell phone for people to check in on them

The Franchise

Post by The Franchise »

shawnd1984 wrote:
March 27th, 2020, 10:36 am
I know nothing about it, but there's a docuseries called Tiger King that I'm hearing a lot about on podcasts/online.
Was thinking about starting its own thread for it. What a trip that series is

spideyguy0

Post by spideyguy0 »

The Franchise wrote:
March 27th, 2020, 11:44 am
shawnd1984 wrote:
March 27th, 2020, 10:36 am
Was thinking about starting its own thread for it. What a trip that series is
I'm about halfway through. Wild *.
Casey A. - New York, NY
Image Image

the thin white duke

Post by the thin white duke »

Believe the hype: Tiger King.
Watch it!
Good trades with: TechTerror, Ajaxconan, Plumbertim, thefetth, swatt9999, Corran, Atma, AdmiralMotti89, Chris Kelly, Lithy, The Franchise, Dark Deal Abuse
In The Morning!

FlorisV

Post by FlorisV »

JarJarDrinks wrote:
March 26th, 2020, 11:34 am
Cobra Kai (really)
Yes! Forgot that one. Surprised me too. More than slightly teeny at times but too much fun. Found it much better than the Karate Kid movies to be honest but it ties into them neatly and even has the same actors partially, I particularly like Zabka.
http://www.mymero.com

Ryloth Region
ImageImage

Corran
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold
GEMP Username: corran

Post by Corran »

FlorisV wrote:
March 28th, 2020, 10:46 am
JarJarDrinks wrote:
Cobra Kai (really)
Yes! Forgot that one. Surprised me too. More than slightly teeny at times but too much fun. Found it much better than the Karate Kid movies to be honest but it ties into them neatly and even has the same actors partially, I particularly like Zabka.
I'm probably going to knock out season 2 of this one night this week. I love how flawed the characters are, and it plays with the whole "live long enough to become the villain" thing really well.
Check out Bad Deck Breakdowns, a Star Wars CCG Deckbuilding podcast, on the podcatcher of your choice or https://www.kendallcast.ninja
dvphimself wrote: https://www.twitch.tv/kendallcastnetwork/ is my favourite SWCCG channel.
seitaer wrote: Corran's streams are great, even if he likes the last jedi

shawnd1984
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold

Post by shawnd1984 »

Yep. Tiger King rules so far.

rsersen
Booster Box
Booster Box
GEMP Username: rsersen

Post by rsersen »

I watched like 1.5 episodes of Tiger King before realizing that I loathed every single person involved and had to turn it off.

Story is absolutely crazy though, and I haven’t even gotten to the actual crimes yet. Probably finish it over the weekend just out of morbid curiosity.
arebelspy wrote:
May 13th, 2020, 10:16 pm
Agree with Ryan.

Aglets
Rules Advocate

Post by Aglets »

The Franchise wrote:
March 25th, 2020, 12:35 pm
Aglets wrote:
March 25th, 2020, 12:14 pm
Have you gone thru Curb your Enthusiasm Brad?
Yeah i have- i came to the curb party late but watched all of it and have watched live the last few seasons. A re-watch wouldnt be terrible though. Tim- what did you think of the most recent season?
Oh man that Jon Hamm episode. Amazing.
Rian Johnson wrote: I would be worried if everybody across the board was like "Yea, that was a good movie." It's much more exciting to me when you get a group of people who are coming up to you.....really really excited about it. And then there are other people who walk out literally saying that was the worst movie I've ever seen. Having those two extremes to me is the mark of the type of movie that I want to make.

marines28
GEMP Username: marines28

Post by marines28 »

Aglets wrote:
March 28th, 2020, 11:26 pm
The Franchise wrote:
March 25th, 2020, 12:35 pm
Aglets wrote:
March 25th, 2020, 12:14 pm
Have you gone thru Curb your Enthusiasm Brad?
Yeah i have- i came to the curb party late but watched all of it and have watched live the last few seasons. A re-watch wouldnt be terrible though. Tim- what did you think of the most recent season?
Oh man that Jon Hamm episode. Amazing.
Buuuut the Rules Thread.....
Steviegets112 wrote:The same 5 people are going to win consistently and there really isn't much any of you can do about it.
3MW0J8 wrote:
xblack: from now on it will be
xblack: gl/hf/nr
better damn believe it.
DTartagOne wrote: Yeah I agree with @marines28

shawnd1984
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold

Post by shawnd1984 »

rsersen wrote:
March 28th, 2020, 4:14 pm
I watched like 1.5 episodes of Tiger King before realizing that I loathed every single person involved and had to turn it off.

Story is absolutely crazy though, and I haven’t even gotten to the actual crimes yet. Probably finish it over the weekend just out of morbid curiosity.
Guess you aren't a fan of The Sopranos.

Hunter
World Champion
World Champion

Post by Hunter »

I'll join with the pro-"The Wire" crowd. Having never done a rewatch, I worry that my affection for the series finale gives me rose-colored glasses for the entire series. But there have famously been several very popular shows that had soul-crushingly bad finales, and that's definitely not something I think you have to worry about with The Wire.
FlorisV wrote:
March 26th, 2020, 7:00 am
Other recommended shows:
Almost Human (android cop partners with Karl Urban, it's just one season but good fun)
Meh? I watched every episode of this during its on-air run, and it was fine. I liked it well enough. But certainly the show's creators had plans and ideas in mind for the characters that never got to materialize, and what you DO get from Season 1 is not enough, in my mind, to recommend that anyone go out of their way to see it. Maybe it would have benefited from a post-series movie to help wrap everything up better, a la Serenity for Firefly.
FlorisV wrote:
March 26th, 2020, 7:00 am
(First season of) Mr Robot
(First season of) Westworld
Do these both say "First season of" just because you haven't watched beyond the first season yet? Because if you're recommending that people should watch the 1st seasons of these two shows and then abandon them, I think I disagree on both counts.

2nd Season of Westworld may not be quite as good as the 1st season (Shogun World stuff definitely went on longer than it should have, and wore out its welcome with me) but I still found the 2nd season very interesting, and would say it is very well worth watching for anyone fond of Season 1.

Mr. Robot required a very dramatic shift after what happens at the end of its first season, and I DO think that it struggled to find its footing for a while in Season 2. But in my opinion, it came *roaring* back in Season 3.
JarJarDrinks wrote:
Glow
Seconded, obviously.

Lastly, Once Upon a Time is a REALLY fun watch, if you can switch the logic center of your brain off while viewing. There are rough patches in Season 3, and Season 5 is pretty bad all the way through. But it bounces back really well in Season 6, and the show's high points are super-enjoyable, and uplifting and heartwarming and all that. I don't even consider myself a real Disney fan, but if you are, then you should give this a try. It's been universally loved by everyone I've introduced to it.

Meto
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold

Post by Meto »

I haven't finished the last season yet, but Mr. Robot is really good.
"I was blackout drunk and shot Hunter."

Return to “Off Topic”