FlorisV

Re: What are we watching

Post by FlorisV »

Hunter wrote:
March 29th, 2020, 5:34 pm
FlorisV wrote:
March 26th, 2020, 7:00 am
Other recommended shows:
Almost Human (android cop partners with Karl Urban, it's just one season but good fun)
Meh? I watched every episode of this during its on-air run, and it was fine. I liked it well enough. But certainly the show's creators had plans and ideas in mind for the characters that never got to materialize, and what you DO get from Season 1 is not enough, in my mind, to recommend that anyone go out of their way to see it. Maybe it would have benefited from a post-series movie to help wrap everything up better, a la Serenity for Firefly.
I guess I've become accustomed to tv shows that either get cancelled or start to suck. Almost Human isn't Firefly level but it's a good show.
Hunter wrote:
FlorisV wrote:
(First season of) Mr Robot
(First season of) Westworld
Do these both say "First season of" just because you haven't watched beyond the first season yet? Because if you're recommending that people should watch the 1st seasons of these two shows and then abandon them, I think I disagree on both counts.
I enjoyed the first seasons the most. Of course normally you want to see all seasons without seeing a show cancelled and you want them all to be good but that's just not the case with many shows unfortunately.
Hunter wrote:
2nd Season of Westworld may not be quite as good as the 1st season (Shogun World stuff definitely went on longer than it should have, and wore out its welcome with me) but I still found the 2nd season very interesting, and would say it is very well worth watching for anyone fond of Season 1.
Westworld: opinions differ on season 2, I thought it was OK but agree with a lot of criticism on it. Pulling too many plot twists out of their hat and you're mostly left with unlikable characters.
Hunter wrote:
Mr. Robot required a very dramatic shift after what happens at the end of its first season, and I DO think that it struggled to find its footing for a while in Season 2. But in my opinion, it came *roaring* back in Season 3.
Mr Robot: most people seem to love every season of it, but I found the first season the best by far in terms of soundtrack (being a synth music fan) and plot and I just found it very different from the next seasons. I found season 2 too messy/confusing and while the 3rd sorta improved in that department I found it too much of a yawner with too many static scenes just having two people talking. I know fans are fine with it but I want to see something more dynamic.

http://www.mymero.com

Ryloth Region
ImageImage

Hunter
World Champion
World Champion

Post by Hunter »

FlorisV wrote:
March 30th, 2020, 5:11 am
Hunter wrote:
FlorisV wrote:
(First season of) Mr Robot
(First season of) Westworld
Do these both say "First season of" just because you haven't watched beyond the first season yet? Because if you're recommending that people should watch the 1st seasons of these two shows and then abandon them, I think I disagree on both counts.
I enjoyed the first seasons the most. Of course normally you want to see all seasons without seeing a show cancelled and you want them all to be good but that's just not the case with many shows unfortunately.
I can't tell for sure whether that answers the question. You enjoyed the first season of each show the most, fine. But would you really suggest to people that they should quit watching after the first seasons, even if they've liked the show to that point? "Here, watch Season 1 of Mr. Robot. You're gonna love it. Then, quit watching, even though Season 1 is really just a prologue that sets up everything the story is GOING to be." How about just not recommending the show, then? Wouldn't that make more sense? I wouldn't ever recommend a show to anyone if I thought the best way to experience it was by bailing after the first season. lol
FlorisV wrote:
March 30th, 2020, 5:11 am
Westworld: you're mostly left with unlikable characters.
Mr Robot: I found it too much of a yawner with too many static scenes just having two people talking.
There's a show that combines what you didn't like about Westworld Season 2 *WITH* what you didn't like about Mr. Robot Season 3!

So don't ever accidentally watch Game of Thrones.

Aglets
Rules Advocate

Post by Aglets »

The Franchise wrote:
March 25th, 2020, 12:35 pm
Aglets wrote:
March 25th, 2020, 12:14 pm
Have you gone thru Curb your Enthusiasm Brad?
Yeah i have- i came to the curb party late but watched all of it and have watched live the last few seasons. A re-watch wouldnt be terrible though. Tim- what did you think of the most recent season?
Ok i just finished it. Pretty.....pretty.....pretty good.

Kind of up and down for me but there were definitely some great ones. Ill def never look at scones the same way again. Did you like it?
Rian Johnson wrote: I would be worried if everybody across the board was like "Yea, that was a good movie." It's much more exciting to me when you get a group of people who are coming up to you.....really really excited about it. And then there are other people who walk out literally saying that was the worst movie I've ever seen. Having those two extremes to me is the mark of the type of movie that I want to make.

JarJarDrinks

Post by JarJarDrinks »

Hunter wrote:
Lastly, Once Upon a Time is a REALLY fun watch, if you can switch the logic center of your brain off while viewing. There are rough patches in Season 3, and Season 5 is pretty bad all the way through.
I dont remember when I stopped watching but sometime during S3 is probably right. IIRC there was a string of bad episodes that made me lose interest.

BUT, ur hard sell + me having kids old enough to watch now + having the time is making me want to give it another go.
dx_37 wrote:
October 2nd, 2019, 12:12 pm
I would be all for a reset if I get to be on the reset team
"Faith means making a virtue out of not thinking."
- Bill Maher

"How you play the game is important. But for me, it's about if you win or lose."
- Derek Jeter

JarJarDrinks

Post by JarJarDrinks »

shawnd1984 wrote:
March 29th, 2020, 7:16 am
rsersen wrote:
March 28th, 2020, 4:14 pm
I watched like 1.5 episodes of Tiger King before realizing that I loathed every single person involved and had to turn it off.

Story is absolutely crazy though, and I haven’t even gotten to the actual crimes yet. Probably finish it over the weekend just out of morbid curiosity.
Guess you aren't a fan of The Sopranos.
I dont think this is applicable. Characters like Tony Soprano are bad but not unlikable.
dx_37 wrote:
October 2nd, 2019, 12:12 pm
I would be all for a reset if I get to be on the reset team
"Faith means making a virtue out of not thinking."
- Bill Maher

"How you play the game is important. But for me, it's about if you win or lose."
- Derek Jeter

FlorisV

Post by FlorisV »

Hunter wrote:
March 30th, 2020, 6:07 am

I can't tell for sure whether that answers the question. You enjoyed the first season of each show the most, fine. But would you really suggest to people that they should quit watching after the first seasons, even if they've liked the show to that point? "Here, watch Season 1 of Mr. Robot. You're gonna love it. Then, quit watching, even though Season 1 is really just a prologue that sets up everything the story is GOING to be." How about just not recommending the show, then? Wouldn't that make more sense? I wouldn't ever recommend a show to anyone if I thought the best way to experience it was by bailing after the first season. lol
I don't necessarily have to watch every season of something. As a recommendation to skip the other seasons, it depends, how important that is for you as an individual and it's good to get a warning of rather varying quality between seasons. There's plenty of shows that were really good but just jumped the shark. Does it mean not watching the show at all? Not for me. And even shows like Mr Robot have a way of bringing a single season to a certain conclusion so I'd have been fine just watching the first since the two next ones didn't satisfy me at all. And since I'm used to cancellations or quality dropping I guess I'm more in the mindset that not watching an entire show is OK these days. Ultimately that's just personal preference (not only wanting to watch shows in their entirety) and any recommendation would be based on someone else's, or left out (I don't know Brad's). And from that perspective it's good to know that certain shows had a much better 1st season. Yes, a lot of guys would then choose to skip the whole show but each will have to decide for themselves how important it is for them to be completionist.
Last edited by FlorisV on March 30th, 2020, 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.mymero.com

Ryloth Region
ImageImage

The Franchise

Post by The Franchise »

Aglets wrote:
March 30th, 2020, 7:46 am
The Franchise wrote:
March 25th, 2020, 12:35 pm
Aglets wrote:
March 25th, 2020, 12:14 pm
Have you gone thru Curb your Enthusiasm Brad?
Yeah i have- i came to the curb party late but watched all of it and have watched live the last few seasons. A re-watch wouldnt be terrible though. Tim- what did you think of the most recent season?
Ok i just finished it. Pretty.....pretty.....pretty good.

Kind of up and down for me but there were definitely some great ones. Ill def never look at scones the same way again. Did you like it?
Agree that it was very up and down, but overall enjoyable for me.

AdmiralMotti89
Booster Box
Booster Box

Post by AdmiralMotti89 »

Saw Blade Runner 2049 on Prime. Not the best film to watch on a laptop but I had a good time.

Also saw the last 2 Episodes of Picard. I know there's a lot of hate for RLM on here but watching the episodes interspersed with the episodic breakdowns from RLM was a lot of fun. The last 2 were something to behold, no doubt.
Eric Garchow
My eBay Store 10% off orders of 10+ items, plus free shipping on orders of $50+
My Trade Thread
My videos/photos of opening sealed SWCCG + other SWCCG things.
My Frequently Updating SWCCG Wants List

shawnd1984
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold
GEMP Username: Shawnd1984

Post by shawnd1984 »

AdmiralMotti89 wrote:
April 1st, 2020, 11:53 am
Saw Blade Runner 2049 on Prime. Not the best film to watch on a laptop but I had a good time.

Agreed, but it is definitely one of the prettiest films i've seen in a long time.
3MW0J8 wrote: "B-but... Muh Force drain bonuses!".

mr007agent

Post by mr007agent »

shawnd1984 wrote:
April 1st, 2020, 12:20 pm
AdmiralMotti89 wrote:
April 1st, 2020, 11:53 am

Agreed, but it is definitely one of the prettiest films i've seen in a long time.
I feel asleep on it 3 times heh.
Michael Richards
Rogue 84
PC Volunteer
Shadow 43 - Dantooine Flight Leader
http://omega.uta.edu/~mhr7680/dantooineswccg.html
-007-
ImageImage

AdmiralMotti89
Booster Box
Booster Box

Post by AdmiralMotti89 »

I just watched LotR with Lightsabers:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ckScH-r ... EXOc9ciDWQ
:shock:
Eric Garchow
My eBay Store 10% off orders of 10+ items, plus free shipping on orders of $50+
My Trade Thread
My videos/photos of opening sealed SWCCG + other SWCCG things.
My Frequently Updating SWCCG Wants List

arebelspy

Post by arebelspy »

Much better than the original.

CRG
GEMP Username: CRG

Post by CRG »

Nothing. Watching nothing. (Which is normal for me.)
Primers and Decklist/Match up/Game Libraries for: Hyperdrive (V) and Hunt Down. Teach your kid SWCCG!

TRM Farm apologist and member of:
rsersen wrote:
February 25th, 2020, 1:51 pm
MYWHL club

Hutch
GEMP Username: hutch

Post by Hutch »

I finished the first three seasons of Lucifer on Netflix this week. Pretty entertaining for a show I hadn’t heard about.
3rd place 2016 Virginia States; 3rd place 2017 Virginia States; Top 8 Euro MPC 2018; 5th place 2018 German Nationals; 5th Place 2018 Kashyyyk Regionals; 3rd place 2018 Massachusetts States; 2019 Massachusetts League Champion; 3rd place 2019 Nal Hutta Regionals
Honorary member of Team Wales & Pretty much the best player in East Africa.

The Franchise

Post by The Franchise »

Ok finished mad men. Really good but i have some questions and some things were frustrating

Also watched barry, i like hbo shows the seasons are short so they go quick

I think at this point its sopranos or the wire and im not sure which one to start with, but will probably watch both so maybe it doesnt matter

Corran
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold
GEMP Username: corran

Post by Corran »

Hi Score Girl has a new season on Netflix! My wife and I are watching 1-2 episodes per night. It's a silly little anime, but it's got some charm to it.
Check out Bad Deck Breakdowns, a Star Wars CCG Deckbuilding podcast, on the podcatcher of your choice or https://www.kendallcast.ninja
dvphimself wrote: https://www.twitch.tv/kendallcastnetwork/ is my favourite SWCCG channel.
seitaer wrote: Corran's streams are great, even if he likes the last jedi

spideyguy0

Post by spideyguy0 »

The Franchise wrote:
April 19th, 2020, 10:17 am
Ok finished mad men. Really good but i have some questions and some things were frustrating

Also watched barry, i like hbo shows the seasons are short so they go quick

I think at this point its sopranos or the wire and im not sure which one to start with, but will probably watch both so maybe it doesnt matter
Always down to talk about Mad Men
Casey A. - New York, NY
Image Image

Jedicon
Enhanced Product
Enhanced Product

Post by Jedicon »

Just started watching Ozark. So far it's been excellent.

chriskelly
Design Advocate

Post by chriskelly »

I started watching McMillions.

rhendon

Post by rhendon »

I was watching Twitch

Return to “Off Topic”