What is in the return-to-play proposal?

In broad terms:

• A 50-50 split of revenue from the 2020 season

• An 82-game schedule instead of the standard 162

• A mid-June "spring training" and early-July Opening Day

• A 14-team postseason rather than the typical 10

• Games played in home stadiums where allowed

• Designated hitters in the American and National League

• Games against only divisional and regional opponents -- i.e., AL West teams, for example, play AL West and NL West teams

• Expanded rosters from 26 to as many as 30 active players with a 20-man taxi squad of minor league players and prospects

• No fans in stadiums to begin the season
About damn time.

quesosauce37
LS Region: Tatooine
LS Region: Tatooine
GEMP Username: quesosauce

Re: MLB 2020

Post by quesosauce37 »

rhendon wrote:
May 12th, 2020, 1:01 pm

About damn time.

boooooo!
Jerry H

Image Image

quickdraw3457
Multimedia and Special Projects Advocate
GEMP Username: quickdraw

Post by quickdraw3457 »

quesosauce37 wrote:
May 12th, 2020, 3:17 pm
rhendon wrote:

About damn time.

boooooo!
This. I hope it feels good that the end of the DH battle is akin to a random law tacked on the end of a larger bill for political points only, and without a pandemic threatening the league's existence it wouldn't have happened (at least not this soon).

Glad it happened under Manfred too. Hopefully he gets the Kathleen Kennedy treatment, where as soon as they are gone we can just throw out all the garbage they fed us under their short power trips.
Matt C. - Pittsburgh, PA
Hunter wrote:quickdraw is right

chriskelly
Design Advocate

Post by chriskelly »

So you’re criticizing the DH because it was needed during a pandemic that threatened the league’s existence?

rhendon

Post by rhendon »

No he is just criticizing the DH and the thoughts that we will lose the ability to see pitchers swing ferociously at the ball only to miss.

quickdraw3457

Post by quickdraw3457 »

chriskelly wrote:
May 12th, 2020, 3:41 pm
So you’re criticizing the DH because it was needed during a pandemic that threatened the league’s existence?
No it's just like a bill in congress where it would be political suicide to vote against it, such as the stimulus package. It's common in our country to take a bill like that (that has bipartisan support) and to throw something in there that one party wants. Then if anyone votes against it, it looks like they dont' want to support working Americans.

In this case, everybody wants to find an agreement to play baseball. So the DH enthusiasts thought, let's throw this in there and if anyone votes against it they're going to look greedy.

There are also surely economic benefits of doing it, perhaps based on roster sizes or something for a shortened season.

My main point is that it sucks that it is happening now because it's not like all sides are looking at it with a clear head and saying "this is the best decision." It is a footnote in the bigger story -- finding a way to play baseball in 2020.
Matt C. - Pittsburgh, PA

rhendon

Post by rhendon »

quickdraw3457 wrote:
May 12th, 2020, 4:42 pm
chriskelly wrote:
May 12th, 2020, 3:41 pm
No it's just like a bill in congress where it would be political suicide to vote against it, such as the stimulus package. It's common in our country to take a bill like that (that has bipartisan support) and to throw something in there that one party wants. Then if anyone votes against it, it looks like they dont' want to support working Americans.

In this case, everybody wants to find an agreement to play baseball. So the DH enthusiasts thought, let's throw this in there and if anyone votes against it they're going to look greedy.

There are also surely economic benefits of doing it, perhaps based on roster sizes or something for a shortened season.

My main point is that it sucks that it is happening now because it's not like all sides are looking at it with a clear head and saying "this is the best decision." It is a footnote in the bigger story -- finding a way to play baseball in 2020.
I actually think the reason they are thinking of doing it is that if baseball is played this year, then divisions and conferences might look a lot different. They are thinking of doing things more geographically to limit travel. Even to the extent of playing teams in 4 places and you don't travel outside of those areas. So you will have teams mixing a lot more. Its either keep the DH or remove it. Either would work but it needs to be done across the board to keep teams on same page. It would be weird to have a game between like As and Giants as a division game but As get a DH and Giants are forced to use pitcher.

Spoiler Man
Anthology
Anthology

Post by Spoiler Man »

What did the MLB do during the pandemic of the Spanish Flu in 1918?

arebelspy

Post by arebelspy »

quickdraw3457 wrote:
quesosauce37 wrote:
rhendon wrote:

About damn time.

boooooo!
This. I hope it feels good that the end of the DH battle is akin to a random law tacked on the end of a larger bill for political points only, and without a pandemic threatening the league's existence it wouldn't have happened (at least not this soon).

Glad it happened under Manfred too. Hopefully he gets the Kathleen Kennedy treatment, where as soon as they are gone we can just throw out all the garbage they fed us under their short power trips.
Did not understand KK treatment reference.

I only know that she was in charge of star wars for awhile. Is she not anymore?

I googled and latest Wikipedia update says "In 2018, Kennedy's contract to remain president of Lucasfilm was extended another three years, through 2021."

arebelspy

Post by arebelspy »

Spoiler Man wrote:What did the MLB do during the pandemic of the Spanish Flu in 1918?
Probably not use the DH

Spoiler Man
Anthology
Anthology

Post by Spoiler Man »

arebelspy wrote:
May 12th, 2020, 6:09 pm
Spoiler Man wrote:What did the MLB do during the pandemic of the Spanish Flu in 1918?
Probably not use the DH
I didn't mean that in question to the DH. I meant, legitimately, how did they proceed with their 1918 season? Did they have measures in place? Limited teams? Etc.

quickdraw3457

Post by quickdraw3457 »

arebelspy wrote:
May 12th, 2020, 6:09 pm
quickdraw3457 wrote:
quesosauce37 wrote:
rhendon wrote:

About damn time.

boooooo!

Did not understand KK treatment reference.

I only know that she was in charge of star wars for awhile. Is she not anymore?

I googled and latest Wikipedia update says "In 2018, Kennedy's contract to remain president of Lucasfilm was extended another three years, through 2021."
It was a joke. I hope she is eventually fired and they agree the sequels are terrible and do them over again. And I hope Manfred leaves and all the dumb ass rules he tried to institute (he has literally talked about starting extra inning with a runner on second) are reverted back to normal sensible baseball.
Matt C. - Pittsburgh, PA

arebelspy

Post by arebelspy »

Ah, I follow.

:thumbsup:

I thought there was a development I missed because I don't follow that stuff that much. Cheers!

JarJarDrinks

Post by JarJarDrinks »

Spoiler Man wrote:
May 12th, 2020, 6:07 pm
What did the MLB do during the pandemic of the Spanish Flu in 1918?
They made it so the series winner wouldnt win another one for 86 years.
dx_37 wrote:
October 2nd, 2019, 12:12 pm
I would be all for a reset if I get to be on the reset team
"Faith means making a virtue out of not thinking."
- Bill Maher

"How you play the game is important. But for me, it's about if you win or lose."
- Derek Jeter

Hunter
World Champion
World Champion

Post by Hunter »

quickdraw3457 wrote:
May 12th, 2020, 7:08 pm
And I hope Manfred leaves and all the dumb ass rules he tried to institute (he has literally talked about starting extra inning with a runner on second) are reverted back to normal sensible baseball.
Of course, going back to normal baseball (and having designated hitters in one league but not the other) won't be "sensible."
The only sensible thing to do is abolish the designated hitter altogether.

The Franchise

Post by The Franchise »

Looking forward to the season

I placed a small futures bet on the astros to win the world series

Nitsuj
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold

Post by Nitsuj »

50/50 split on revenue is being described as a small step towards a salary cap, something the player's union is strong opposed to. Seems shady to try to work something like that into this deal, especially with labor negotiations set to begin next year where such matters should be discussed.
Justin Stratton, Northeast Ohio

Play SWCCG online at GEMP

rhendon

Post by rhendon »

quickdraw3457 wrote:
May 12th, 2020, 7:08 pm
It was a joke. I hope she is eventually fired and they agree the sequels are terrible and do them over again. And I hope Manfred leaves and all the dumb ass rules he tried to institute (he has literally talked about starting extra inning with a runner on second) are reverted back to normal sensible baseball.
I agree on KK. Don't really care about Manfred. Thought it was bogus Astros got away with cheating for a WS though.
The Franchise wrote:
May 13th, 2020, 8:10 am
Looking forward to the season

I placed a small futures bet on the astros to win the world series
Bad bet. Astros won't win this year or again for awhile.

They overpaid Altuve for what he has done for team, not will do for team. Correa hasn't turned the corner, so they might get to keep him now at a reasonable price. Verlander, and Grienke are up there in age. McCullers can't stay healthy enough to turn the corner like Correa. I don't think Springer stays although the FA market for next year will be interesting so he might.

Astros are basically now Bregman and Alvarez until something happens.

imrahil327
Tournament Advocate

Post by imrahil327 »

quickdraw3457 wrote:
May 12th, 2020, 3:25 pm
quesosauce37 wrote:
rhendon wrote:

About damn time.

boooooo!

Yep.
rhendon wrote:
May 12th, 2020, 3:43 pm
No he is just criticizing the DH and the thoughts that we will lose the ability to see pitchers swing ferociously at the ball only to miss.
Someone hasn't been watching Madison Bumgarner enough.

Nitsuj wrote:
May 13th, 2020, 8:23 am
50/50 split on revenue is being described as a small step towards a salary cap, something the player's union is strong opposed to. Seems shady to try to work something like that into this deal, especially with labor negotiations set to begin next year where such matters should be discussed.
This is interesting, because from what I'd read the 50/50 was a concession TO the players- it was at 48% players before.
Hunter wrote:Sebulba's W-L record is like...Always and 1. Tebow's is nowhere near that percentage.
allstarz97, about M:TG wrote:I feel like Michael Jordan playing baseball.

rhendon

Post by rhendon »

imrahil327 wrote:
May 13th, 2020, 3:56 pm
rhendon wrote:
May 12th, 2020, 3:43 pm
Someone hasn't been watching Madison Bumgarner enough.
Yea that career .177 BA sure backs that up.

Return to “Off Topic”