SW Comic Books

Hutch
GEMP Username: hutch

SW Comic Books

Post by Hutch »

I’ve never really been into comics, but I’m semi interested now. Anyone got suggestions for a SW based series I could dip my toes in? Aphra series has my attention at the moment.

3rd place 2016 Virginia States; 3rd place 2017 Virginia States; Top 8 Euro MPC 2018; 5th place 2018 German Nationals; 5th Place 2018 Kashyyyk Regionals; 3rd place 2018 Massachusetts States; 2019 Massachusetts League Champion; 3rd place 2019 Nal Hutta Regionals
Honorary member of Team Wales & Pretty much the best player in East Africa.

rhendon

Re: SW Comic Books

Post by rhendon »

I read the Vader reboot from Disney that was good.

The one shot short stories that are the big names from prequels, trilogy and sequels weren't really worth it. Way too short.

Haven't ready anything else. Before pandemic, I was trying to get some orders of trades ready for SW books. Don't want to buy individual comics anymore and plan to stick to trades as much as I can going forward.

hanotsri

Post by hanotsri »

Hutch wrote:
June 28th, 2020, 10:40 pm
I’ve never really been into comics, but I’m semi interested now. Anyone got suggestions for a SW based series I could dip my toes in? Aphra series has my attention at the moment.
Hi there, I read most, if not all the comics.

I would recommend anything by Charles Soule including his Poe Dameron and Darth Vader (the second released series) runs. He also wrote The Rise of Kylo Ren.

The main Star Wars comic (started in 2015) was really good as well, though it slowed in the middle and then picked up again with the return to Jedha arc. The first run covers the time between ANH to just before Hoth. The second run has started and takes place just after ESB.

If you like The Clone Wars, I would recommend Darth Maul, Son of Dathomir. It is adapted from unused TCW scripts and explains what happened to Maul between his capture by Sidious and Season 7

Enjoy!

Michael

Jctrevor
Starter
Starter

Post by Jctrevor »

I liked the new Vader series he most so far. Doc Aphra started strong but personally I lost interest about 1/2 way through it.

Corran
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold
GEMP Username: corran

Post by Corran »

The Rise of Kylo Ren was great.
Check out Bad Deck Breakdowns, a Star Wars CCG Deckbuilding podcast, on the podcatcher of your choice or https://www.kendallcast.ninja
dvphimself wrote: https://www.twitch.tv/kendallcastnetwork/ is my favourite SWCCG channel.
seitaer wrote: Corran's streams are great, even if he likes the last jedi

Shadow 13
GEMP Username: shadow13

Post by Shadow 13 »

i've been reading the main star wars run since Marvel started putting it out, and it's always been reliably good. the Darth Vader series have always been decent to good as well.
ryan french
rebel strike team founder
two-time washington state champion
rhendon wrote:why not just elect a puppy as president, or mikefrench.

ChopperC1_10P
Starter
Starter

Post by ChopperC1_10P »

Hutch wrote:
SW is hot and the price of comics is blowing up but still affordable and you can get trade paperback versions.
Dark Horse has the best material; series like Clone Wars, Star Wars Tales, Knights of the old republic, Empire, Legacy, so many good ones. I think they ran about 850 issues or more for about 20 yrs. Of course the original 1977 Marvel series is fun read until you get into the later issues. I have most of them pre 2015. Post 2015 Darth Vader is decent. What most people over look are the Dark Horse novellas which are Digest size for Clone Wars, like Shipyards of Doom or The Colossus of Destiny. If you can get over the "young adult" format and more anime type art the reading is good and they grow on you. I have read them over and over. I saw episode IV in the theatre and later in the drive in for context of my age :-D

Hutch
GEMP Username: hutch

Post by Hutch »

ChopperC1_10P wrote:
August 11th, 2020, 11:18 pm
Hutch wrote:
SW is hot and the price of comics is blowing up but still affordable and you can get trade paperback versions.
Dark Horse has the best material; series like Clone Wars, Star Wars Tales, Knights of the old republic, Empire, Legacy, so many good ones. I think they ran about 850 issues or more for about 20 yrs. Of course the original 1977 Marvel series is fun read until you get into the later issues. I have most of them pre 2015. Post 2015 Darth Vader is decent. What most people over look are the Dark Horse novellas which are Digest size for Clone Wars, like Shipyards of Doom or The Colossus of Destiny. If you can get over the "young adult" format and more anime type art the reading is good and they grow on you. I have read them over and over. I saw episode IV in the theatre and later in the drive in for context of my age :-D
Thanks! The original 1977 series would be awesome to read if I can find a paperback collection or cheap reprints. I've finished the 2015 Vader series and about halfway through the 2016 Aprha series. I like both of them so far. Looking forward to reading the 2017 Vader series which is supposed to start right after he puts on the suit in Episode 3.
3rd place 2016 Virginia States; 3rd place 2017 Virginia States; Top 8 Euro MPC 2018; 5th place 2018 German Nationals; 5th Place 2018 Kashyyyk Regionals; 3rd place 2018 Massachusetts States; 2019 Massachusetts League Champion; 3rd place 2019 Nal Hutta Regionals
Honorary member of Team Wales & Pretty much the best player in East Africa.

FlorisV

Post by FlorisV »

My favorite series is the Thawn Trilogy (3 tpb's, I read only tpb's and not the thin comics, very European of me), but I also like these standalones: Mara Jade, The Emperor's Hand and Splinter of the MInd's Eye. They're the only ones I've reread.
http://www.mymero.com

Ryloth Region
ImageImage

Return to “Off Topic”