Spellfire

arebelspy

Re: Spellfire

Post by arebelspy »

mr007agent wrote:
arebelspy wrote:
October 6th, 2020, 6:22 pm
Sticking with that even though there's 4 people who have said that now?

So it seems you are proposing that the venn diagram overlap of "heard of mtg" and "heard of spellfire" is a 100% overlap.
I would postulate that Hunter is one of the older ones left on these boards including Advocate and the reason why they know it and you youngsters don't.
Pshhh, you and your sensible notions.

I would postulate that age is irrelevant, everyone has heard of it, including my four year old, and if they say they haven't, they're mistaken and have just forgotten.

quesosauce37
LS Region: Tatooine
LS Region: Tatooine
GEMP Username: quesosauce

Post by quesosauce37 »

mr007agent wrote:
October 8th, 2020, 5:07 pm
arebelspy wrote:
October 6th, 2020, 6:22 pm
Sticking with that even though there's 4 people who have said that now?

So it seems you are proposing that the venn diagram overlap of "heard of mtg" and "heard of spellfire" is a 100% overlap.
I would postulate that Hunter is one of the older ones left on these boards including Advocate and the reason why they know it and you youngsters don't.
wow a mike richards sighting! and all it took was a spellfire thread....

(also never heard of it, but its likely that i just got stoned and *then* forgot about it)
Jerry H

Image Image

CoffeePass

Post by CoffeePass »

I've heard of Spellfire because I obsessively read InQuest magazine when I was a kid and they constantly made fun of it (was basically just their shorthand stand in for something that sucks).

Unrelated, I still have a big stack of InQuest at my parents' house and I always get a real nostalgia kick flipping through them.

stevetotheizz0

Post by stevetotheizz0 »

Has anyone ever walked into a card shop where a bunch of people where actually playing Spellfire? I really have to dig into my memory to remember something mentioned once or twice when I was 12. (Btw, Jyhad was the other OG.)

It would be interesting to ask someone to name the 2-3 oldest ccg's they can remember and maybe how they might know of them.

arebelspy

Post by arebelspy »

Every ccg/lcg I can remember hearing of (I'm sure there's a couple more I can't think of), in the order of how old I think they are, but very well could be wrong:
MTG
Spellfire
L5R
SWCCG
Some other one Dan tibbles made that I forget the name of
Pokemon
Young jedi
That Jedi knight one?
Austin powers
Lotr
Boy crazy
Got
Star wars destiny

Most I've heard of cause they're decipher/star wars related. Otherwise heard of magic and spellfire because everyone on earth has knowledge of them, plus Pokemon cause it was big and saw people playing it once in a card shop and the other 3 (l5r, name I can't remember and got) cause I had friends who played them.

Oh and picturing the "saw people playing it", I thought of another. At the swccg Portland grand slam I saw people playing a wrestling one (wwf? Wwe? I don't really know the difference). Oh and star trek, another decipher one, just remembered picturing dcon 2k. I'd put star trek just before swccg and wrestling just after Pokemon?

Just thought of those 2, so I'm sure there's a few more.

Hunter
World Champion
World Champion

Post by Hunter »

Here are some other games that Joe has heard of (and just forgot about, like some people forgot about Spellfire):

Dragonball Z
Yu-Gi-Oh
VS
World of Warcraft
SW: TCG (aka Yahtzee)

mr007agent

Post by mr007agent »

Pretty sure all of you heard of (and just forgot about, like some people forgot about Spellfire):

RAGE
Michael Richards
Rogue 84
PC Volunteer
Shadow 43 - Dantooine Flight Leader
http://omega.uta.edu/~mhr7680/dantooineswccg.html
-007-
ImageImage

Hunter
World Champion
World Champion

Post by Hunter »

mr007agent wrote:
October 9th, 2020, 1:08 pm
Pretty sure all of you heard of (and just forgot about, like some people forgot about Spellfire):

RAGE
I would think that Rage would be in a similar tier with things like L5R, Babylon 5, Vampire: TES, and Netrunner. I would expect "most" people around here to have at least heard of these, even if they never saw/played any of them. But I would stop short of betting on "all." These games all received quite a bit less attention than the likes of MTG/Spellfire/Pokemon.

Was World of Warcraft the most hyped release for any CCG/TCG, ever? I'm wondering if this is the all-time #1, because it felt like you didn't need to know (or care) anything about CCGs OR Warcraft in order to still be inundated with advertising for it. I think it's a sure contender to have been the largest marketing budget we've ever seen for a CCG, with a marketing campaign that lasted over a year before the game even came out, and probably reached every corner of the world.

arebelspy

Post by arebelspy »

Hunter wrote:Here are some other games that Joe has heard of (and just forgot about, like some people forgot about Spellfire):

Dragonball Z
Yu-Gi-Oh
VS
World of Warcraft
SW: TCG (aka Yahtzee)
Vs is the only one of those 5 I've heard of as a ccg, and only cause of Mike French telling stories about it at swccg events.

The first two I heard of as a cartoon, did not know it was a game. The 3rd I am aware of the video game but again, not ccg.

The last one I thought I listed as destiny? If those are different, I didn't realize, I thought they were one game, so idk which I was aware of and which I wasn't.

EDIT: Just read the last post. Netrunner rings a bell. But for some reason I thought it was like a super simple graphics computer game. Wouldn't have guessed CCG.

Edit 2: And I somehow missed the wow ccg advertising. But I don't see a lot of ads in my life in general, block them on all digital devices and don't watch anything on a TV that has ads.

Actually I watch one thing that does, which is football, but I watch that on a short delay to fast forward ads. Haven't missed anything in life cutting out ads. Except a Warcraft ccg game, apparently.

Hunter
World Champion
World Champion

Post by Hunter »

arebelspy wrote:
October 9th, 2020, 1:40 pm
The last one I thought I listed as destiny? If those are different, I didn't realize, I thought they were one game, so idk which I was aware of and which I wasn't.
I wouldn't blame anyone for not knowing that Destiny existed. If the "aka Yahtzee" resonated with you, then you absolutely were thinking of SW:TCG, and Destiny is the one you don't know anything about.

TacoBill

Post by TacoBill »

Hunter wrote:
October 9th, 2020, 1:30 pm
mr007agent wrote:
October 9th, 2020, 1:08 pm

RAGE
I would think that Rage would be in a similar tier with things like L5R, Babylon 5, Vampire: TES, and Netrunner. I would expect "most" people around here to have at least heard of these, even if they never saw/played any of them. But I would stop short of betting on "all." These games all received quite a bit less attention than the likes of MTG/Spellfire/Pokemon.

Was World of Warcraft the most hyped release for any CCG/TCG, ever? I'm wondering if this is the all-time #1, because it felt like you didn't need to know (or care) anything about CCGs OR Warcraft in order to still be inundated with advertising for it. I think it's a sure contender to have been the largest marketing budget we've ever seen for a CCG, with a marketing campaign that lasted over a year before the game even came out, and probably reached every corner of the world.
I know everything in this post except Spellfire. Also, I feel like vs System had to be up there in terms of hype because of the absurd amount of money UD gave away plus pulling all kinds of top-level CCG players/poker players/etc.
Bill Kafer
Definitely on the Mount Rushmore of SWCCG players to live in Hawaii
Cam Solusar wrote:What TacoBill proposes is ideal IMO.

rhendon

Post by rhendon »

Illuminati
Middle Earth

2 pretty old ones.

Also surprised Joe didn't list My Little Pony.

Death Star
DS Region: Ralltiir
DS Region: Ralltiir
GEMP Username: zlorfik

Post by Death Star »

INWO (Illuminati New World Order) was great.
Middle Earth might be the reason I missed worlds 98 cause I rather played german nationals of that than play in the third german qualifier tournament.
But I did not play fallen wizard and those dominated the tournament.

Strangest trading card games I remember are
Jan-Ken Po (the rock paper scissor trading card game)
and
Sim City
"i know it won worlds,but it can't win anything in the local meta of michigan.we paly card for card what you ahve and still don't win"

My favorite decktech review on one of my decks.
ImageImage

rhendon

Post by rhendon »

My friend that owns a LGS has a box of Illuminati that we found a few years back and started playing again.

I had forgotten about Sim City's card game. Jesus.

I know there were a lot in late 90s early 00s like Buffy had a CCG.

Shadow 13
GEMP Username: shadow13

Post by Shadow 13 »

don't forget the decipher (forgettable) ccgs:

dotHACK
beyblade
WARS tcg
ryan french
rebel strike team founder
two-time washington state champion
rhendon wrote:why not just elect a puppy as president, or mikefrench.

stevetotheizz0

Post by stevetotheizz0 »

After the first wave, there were over a 100 other CCGs. So we could probably list them forever. The OGs would have been the few games released in 1993/1994. SWCCG was the first of the second wave from 1995 to 1998 until things contracted/collapsed for the following 3-4 years.

I think the CCG was a terrible distribution model for games that was somewhat predatory in how much $$$ it takes to amass complete collections. As far as schemes go, it was a solid companion to the comic book and baseball card "collectible" bubble, and a good follow up for teenagers who just outgrew the cartoon/action figure marketing campaign that attracted kid's money through the 80s.

I'm glad for the most part that the dollar price point for games matured into something reasonable as either an LCG or board game. (It seems that overall all of these things don't really demand the peak dollar investment that they did during that time.)

Edit: Unrelated side note, Wyvern came along a lot later than I would have guessed.
Extra edit: My second favorite CCG was 7th Sea by AEG, which ran from 1998-2001.

Meto
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold

Post by Meto »

Overpower and Wyvern.
"I was blackout drunk and shot Hunter."

sac89837

Post by sac89837 »

Battletech
My Little Pony
Netrunner
On a unicorn, riding a unicorn over a rainbow.

"Bounty Hunters don't do brunch."

JarJarDrinks

Post by JarJarDrinks »

i'm old and never heard of spellfire.
dx_37 wrote:
October 2nd, 2019, 12:12 pm
I would be all for a reset if I get to be on the reset team
"Faith means making a virtue out of not thinking."
- Bill Maher

"How you play the game is important. But for me, it's about if you win or lose."
- Derek Jeter

sac89837

Post by sac89837 »

Hunter wrote:
October 9th, 2020, 1:48 pm
arebelspy wrote:
October 9th, 2020, 1:40 pm
I wouldn't blame anyone for not knowing that Destiny existed. If the "aka Yahtzee" resonated with you, then you absolutely were thinking of SW:TCG, and Destiny is the one you don't know anything about.
Speaking of SW: Yahtzee, this thread made me curious and I see their PC just uses movies stills for new sets. Do they just not care? Seems odd since it was a wizards of the coast game.
On a unicorn, riding a unicorn over a rainbow.

"Bounty Hunters don't do brunch."

Return to “Off Topic”