2020 Best Albums thread

spideyguy0

2020 Best Albums thread

Post by spideyguy0 »

Link to the 2019 thread: viewtopic.php?f=628&t=74100

This was the best year in a long time for pure pop music and it's featured heavily in my best of list for the year. Curious to see other people's lists as well

2020 Album of the Year
Taylor Swift - folklore

The rest of the top 5 (no order)
Jason Isbell & The 400 Unit – Reunions
The Killers – Imploding the Mirage
Ava Max – Heaven & Hell
Miley Cyrus – Plastic Hearts

Sandwiched between the top 5 and the honorable mentions
Fleet Foxes – Shore
Alicia Keys – Alicia
Tame Impala – The Slow Rush

Honorable mentions
Halsey – Manic
Phish – Sigma Oasis
The Weekend – After Hours
The 1975 – Notes on a Conditional Form
Trey Anastasio – Lonely Trip
The Avett Brothers – The Third Gleam
Point North – Brand New Vision
Chris Stapleton – Starting Over
Taylor Swift - evermore

Casey A. - New York, NY
Image Image

Advocate
Advocate
GEMP Username: advocate

Re: 2020 Best Albums thread

Post by Advocate »

I haven't listened to anything new at all this year. I really need to start catching up.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

@swccg - Twitter
@swccg - Instagram
swccgpc - Twitch

rsersen
Booster Box
Booster Box
GEMP Username: rsersen

Post by rsersen »

Ditto. My daily commute was always my time to queue up new music, I’ve missed that. Keep telling myself I’ll do it at home, but get distracted by 6 hour TRs, Holotheaters, and Kendall interviewing the entire community :-D

Following this thread for some good recommendations though.
PC Foils/AI/Chips Haves & Wants - let's make a deal
stubbly wrote:Echo Base Trooper is the Siri of SWCCG
Image Image

quesosauce37
LS Region: Tatooine
GEMP Username: quesosauce

Post by quesosauce37 »

I always struggle with the difference between "best" and "favorite" anyone else have this? Like things that are my favorite are irrational, things that are the best you can explain easier? Like in terms of the "best" star wars movie, its ESB, but my favorite might be rogue one or the phantom menace. I feel this a lot with 'end of year/best of" lists, theres some music this year i know is a bands best work, but its definitely not my favorite. With that out of the way heres my 'list' i wont number it, but will name a number 1. I'm also including a couple albums from the last couple months of 2019 because i can

Broadway Calls -Sad in the City
Nine years between albums had no drawbacks for Broadway Calls, these guys rip quick pop punk tunes, nothing thats re-inventing anything, but just very satisfying punk rock. If you like the sound pre-american idiot/glam rock greenday, but just updated slightly and less immature, check this album out (and more importantly their self titled from years back)

The Menzingers- Hello Exile/From Exile
This is really good rock/punk, these dudes have been releasing really good albums for the last decade, love the vocalists, great dudes. Hello exile was released in lateish 2019, then this year they did an all acoustic version of all the songs from it called From Exile. Check them both out.

2nd Grade- Hit to Hit-
Casey was right about pop music, and i'll take his word on most of his picks, this powerpop record is not to be missed, great stuff here

Oceanator - Things I Never Said
The song Crack in the World is just like.....perfect. Punk rock i guess? but more just indie rock, female lead singer, easy listening good stuff

I DONT KNOW HOW BUT THEY FOUND ME - Razzmatazz
Dallon Weekes used to be in Panic at the Disco, when they were fun and dancy and good. He then was in the brobecks, but that band fizzled. This band freakin slapppps. So much fun!! You wanna dance like a 17 year old in your kitchen while making dinner? Throw this * on, its poppy, dancy, crunchy, smooth, fun, cute and silly. Soo GOODDD

I am the Avalanche - Dive
Vinnie Carauna is easily my 2nd favorite musician of all time, i love everything he does, this IATA album is really good, and his best of any of his several projects in years. This is crunchy pop-punk with raspy vocals, and the drumming is FANTASTIC

Jeff Rosenstock - No Dream
Jeff is my favorite musician of all time, he is my spirit animal. He's clever, fun, angsty, sensitive, tenacious, aware, and everything in between. This is the best, most polished record he/his bands have ever done (i have others that are my 'favorite as i eluded to earlier, but this is their best work). It an important record in the time we live in, speaks out against many current issues in the best way, by getting your feelings out in music and dancing and rocking the * out. Listen to this record, just once, and see if you dont have fun listening to it.

#1 album for me this year:
Bully- SUGAREGG
I had heard a song or two by bully thru my spotify radio stations, but never really checked her out, and OMFG just like was my new favorite artist the whole year. sorta indie rock with a kinda grunge lean with pop inbetween. Her whole catalogue is rad, and i listen nearly every day. One of those bands you listen to just a notch or two louder than you usually do, and it really sinks in and you rock the * out its soo good you guys!

might add some more maybe when if ive forgotten some
Jerry H

Image Image

spideyguy0

Post by spideyguy0 »

quesosauce37 wrote:
December 18th, 2020, 12:42 am
I always struggle with the difference between "best" and "favorite" anyone else have this?
This is def an important distinction and something I kind of hedge with on my list. Phish is my favorite band, and Sigma Oasis was their best album in at least a decade and I very much enjoyed listening to it, but I can't in good conscience ever put a Phish studio album in the top 5 of a "best album of the year" list. On the other hand, I tend to dislike rap and hip hop, but I recognize that After Hours was a good album, and I found myself listening to it a bunch. It's probably "good enough" to be in the top 5, but there were other albums that I enjoyed listening to more. The albums I picked for my top 5 tended to fall into a sweet spot of being albums that I really enjoyed, while also being albums that I'd (subjectively) consider to be among the best albums of the year.
Casey A. - New York, NY
Image Image

shawnd1984
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold
GEMP Username: Shawnd1984

Post by shawnd1984 »

I am an old man and typically request new music from the library via compact disc. However, Covid has slowed down their service substantially. With that being said, I would probably rank the following:

1. Dua Lipa "Future Nostalgia"
2. Haim "Women in Music III"

I would add token "good albums" such as Fiona Apple and Bob Dylan, but they didn't truly click for me. I could see myself loving Fiona Apple's latest in a year, but not yet.

The biggest revelation of music for me personally is my big time preference to strong female pop albums. Never was my jam before, but I've listened to the following in the past two years more than anything else:

Ariana Grande "Thank U Next"
Lana Del Rey "Norman F'ing Rockwell"

On a related note, Rolling Stone re-released a best albums of all time list. It is loaded with hot takes (Lauryn Hill at #10 comes to mind), but I did listen to a bunch of stuff on there and was pleasantly surprised at some of the stuff.
3MW0J8 wrote: "B-but... Muh Force drain bonuses!".

Wokling
GEMP Username: ototoi

Post by Wokling »

My listening to new music fell off a cliff this year, but here are albums I particularly enjoyed:

Nap Eyes - Snapshot of a Beginner
Taylor Swift - Folklore
Fleet Foxes - Shore
The War on Drugs - Live Drugs
Destroyer - Have We Met

maxbeedo
LS Region: Dantooine
LS Region: Dantooine

Post by maxbeedo »

The only album I bought this year was the Final Fantasy 7 Remake soundtrack, but I guess with 155 tracks it could count as several.

Corran
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold
GEMP Username: corran

Post by Corran »

Every December I say that the following year I'll listen to a new album every week or something. Then it doesn't happen. Bob Dylan's Rough and Roudy Ways, and especially the track "Murder Most Foul" was pretty good if you're a fan of modern Dylan. I also discovered the Mountain Goats this year and became obsessed with The Sunset Tree, their 2005 album. I asked for Stay Alive by Laura Jane Grace for Christmas, so hopefully that's a good album. Seriously, I'm going to listen to lots of new music in 2021...
Check out Bad Deck Breakdowns, a Star Wars CCG Deckbuilding podcast, on the podcatcher of your choice or https://www.kendallcast.ninja
dvphimself wrote: https://www.twitch.tv/kendallcastnetwork/ is my favourite SWCCG channel.
ashnolo wrote: I'm using OCS to prepare for Kendall in Corellia League play

spideyguy0

Post by spideyguy0 »

Corran wrote:
December 18th, 2020, 12:47 pm
I also discovered the Mountain Goats this year
I've never listened to their music, but I think they all play MTG
Casey A. - New York, NY
Image Image

Corran
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold

Post by Corran »

spideyguy0 wrote:
December 18th, 2020, 2:12 pm
Corran wrote:
December 18th, 2020, 12:47 pm
I also discovered the Mountain Goats this year
I've never listened to their music, but I think they all play MTG
That sounds correct. I think I remember hearing an interview where they said they planned one tour so that they could play a show on Friday and play in MTG events over the weekend or something like that. They definitely have a sort of hipster nerd vibe about them.
Check out Bad Deck Breakdowns, a Star Wars CCG Deckbuilding podcast, on the podcatcher of your choice or https://www.kendallcast.ninja
dvphimself wrote: https://www.twitch.tv/kendallcastnetwork/ is my favourite SWCCG channel.

quickdraw3457
Multimedia and Special Projects Advocate
GEMP Username: quickdraw

Post by quickdraw3457 »

Took me a while to listen to the mountain goats after many recommendations but they're fantastic.
Matt C. - Pittsburgh, PA
multimedia@starwarsccg.org
Hunter wrote:quickdraw is right

CategoryOneGames.com
GEMP Username: Categoryon

Post by CategoryOneGames.com »

Wow, 2020 really sucked for music from someone that generally likes pop punk/alternative music. I added a total of 25 songs to my main Spotify playlist, none of them from 2020, three songs were from 2019. I started listening to Miley because of Slip Away and found that I really liked her cover songs from the Save our Stages shows on Youtube. Besides that I've listened to a lot of AC/DC, Sound the Alarm and Muse this year. I haven't heard anything new that makes me all that excited. Classic favorites like the Pumpkins are doing some pop crap that I could care less about.

quesosauce37
GEMP Username: quesosauce

Post by quesosauce37 »

this was a very good year for punk and pop punk, just you need to listen to lesser known bands, LMK if you need some suggestions
Jerry H

Image Image

DS-61-4

Post by DS-61-4 »

My favorite albums of 2020 are:
Terror Jr - Rancho Catastrophe (Electronic Pop)
Be Well - The Weight and the Cost (Punk/Hardcore).

Dua Lipa's was good too. Old 97's released another album and it is good as always. Busta Rhymes new album was decent. No me gusta Taylor Swift, although I liked her songs with Bon Iver. One of my very favorite bands Drive By Truckers released two albums this year and they were both not that good. Definitely going to look into some of the recs in this thread.

We don't talk about music enough here.

DS-61-4

Post by DS-61-4 »

quesosauce37 wrote:
December 18th, 2020, 6:09 pm
this was a very good year for punk and pop punk, just you need to listen to lesser known bands, LMK if you need some suggestions
Oh yes, I forgot Stand Atlantic and Hot Mulligan both had some rad releases. Who else was good? I didn't much like the new Four Year Strong album.

CategoryOneGames.com
GEMP Username: Categoryon

Post by CategoryOneGames.com »

quesosauce37 wrote:
December 18th, 2020, 6:09 pm
Let me know what to check out. I watch the Punk Rock MBA on Youtube and have been listening to his What Killed Pop Punk mix but that's mainly older music but I've found a few on there that I had never heard before.

Corran
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold

Post by Corran »

Also, shameless plug for my bandcamp https://kendallhalman.bandcamp.com/

Only 3 new songs this year, and one was an old recording from a previous project. Hopefully I'll be able to put out a full length album early next year. I've got about 15 songs written and 6 or 8 with recordings that I'm happy with. Also, while you're on my Band Camp, Nuke the Whales is an EP from late 2019 that I'm really happy with.

TacoBill

Post by TacoBill »

Nuke the whales?
Bill Kafer
Cam Solusar wrote:What TacoBill proposes is ideal IMO.
Corran wrote:Honestly, Tacobill should just be the boss of SWCCG.

stimpy

Post by stimpy »

Haha everybody claps on 1&3, so true

Return to “Off Topic”