POLL- what theme should i design for the finals?

The Franchise
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold

POLL- what theme should i design for the finals?

Post by The Franchise »

Hi all,

So, previously I had mentioned I would probably be making a separatist theme for the finals- confederates, the count, etc. While i'm still working out this design, i've had some feedback suggesting i go with my other theme- the Corran horn/jedi temple/i, jedi stuff, which i explored some in a previous round. the thought is that this rounds parameters would allow me to fully flesh out the ideas.

I haven't gotten here by my own, i've had a lot of feedback from a lot of sources. so why not do it one more time?

post in this thread and respond with either CORRAN or COUNT as to which theme you want me to make. i'm going to work on both ideas this weekend. at NOON my time on tuesday, i will check the majority vote, and that is the theme i will go with for the final.

feel free to pm or ask here if you have questions about specific aspects of each theme. thanks for your help!

Hunter
World Champion
World Champion

Re: POLL- what theme should i design for the finals?

Post by Hunter »

mikefrench wrote:i'm an idiot who can't control himself.

Tarelion
Enhanced Product
Enhanced Product
GEMP Username: Tarelion

Post by Tarelion »

Either sounds really cool. I guess if I had to choose one, it'd be the COUNT, but both sound like neat ideas with a good bit of design space to explore.

qasur

Post by qasur »

I would hope you would choose on your own. Part of being a designer is confidence in your work. Polling is a popularity contest and has nothing to do with choosing a design. You just want to submit the one the most people agree on...

I choose option c, a new, non-publicized theme.

The Franchise
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold

Post by The Franchise »

qasur wrote:I would hope you would choose on your own. Part of being a designer is confidence in your work. Polling is a popularity contest and has nothing to do with choosing a design. You just want to submit the one the most people agree on...

I choose option c, a new, non-publicized theme.
There isn't an option C. There is the theme I was planning to use (COUNT), and then though many people commented that my other idea is something they liked more (CORRAN).

You make it sound like GIVING THE PEOPLE WHAT THEY WANT is a bad thing. It's not. I am supremely confident in both of my concepts actually. However, I'm not so arrogant as to believe you can shove anything down someone's throat and they will take it. It is possible you don't like a dynamic, inclusive, give and take relationship between designers and players, and that is fine. However my personal feeling is that a more open dialogue can only do good for the game.

Thanks for your feedback

qasur

Post by qasur »

You cannot include everyone or you still end up not pleasing everyone anyways.

Sets are designed by designers for a reason. They're developed for another reason, and proofed, and playtested, and all behind closed doors for a reason.

Some things work best that way.

But, again, that isn't your true goal. Game the system in the finals to win so you can get what you've always wanted. Of course you're going to make winning as easy as possible.

The Franchise
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold

Post by The Franchise »

qasur wrote:You cannot include everyone or you still end up not pleasing everyone anyways.

Sets are designed by designers for a reason. They're developed for another reason, and proofed, and playtested, and all behind closed doors for a reason.

But, again, that isn't your true goal. Game the system in the finals to win so you can get what you've always wanted. Of course you're going to make winning as easy as possible.

So, Corran or Count?

qasur

Post by qasur »

The Franchise wrote:
qasur wrote:You cannot include everyone or you still end up not pleasing everyone anyways.

So, Corran or Count?
Surprise me

quickdraw3457
Multimedia and Special Projects Advocate
GEMP Username: quickdraw

Post by quickdraw3457 »

Just to mix it up and go the other way as the other finalist who voted here...

Corran.

Tarelion
Enhanced Product
Enhanced Product
GEMP Username: Tarelion

Post by Tarelion »

Okay, I realize I'm not someone who comments often on this forum, and I'm also not someone who travels to events and knows any top players, so perhaps my opinions don't hold much weight here. That said, I took Brad's question for the players at face value: that he wanted to know what people would be interested in seeing him design for this contest. I realize Brad has certainly done his fair share of "campaigning," as it were, in this contest, and this could certainly be part of it. But as several people have pointed out, doing so was explicitly allowed in the contest rules to begin with.

Whether a card is thematic or interesting is just one of the characteristics to look at when voting, and you can be sure that, if Brad's card design is lousy, unplayable, broken, or mechanically unsound, or if it's just plain not as good as another entry, I'll give my vote to someone who deserves it more. Still, he asked a simple question, and I for one feel he deserves an answer.

rrrtebow
Booster Pack
Booster Pack

Post by rrrtebow »

My vote:

Halfwingseen
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold

Post by Halfwingseen »

i vote corran, you are supposed to make a tier 2 theme, making count/ separatists seems super hard to do without making it tier 1.
Hunter wrote: I think you're right.

Mr. G
Sealed Deck
Sealed Deck

Post by Mr. G »

Halfwingseen wrote:i vote corran, you are supposed to make a tier 2 theme, making count/ separatists seems super hard to do without making it tier 1.
x2

Therefore, I vote COUNT, as I want to see a designer that has gone through challenges, and not opting out for the easier option. Not saying Brad would do that, but seeing the COUNT as being more difficult, that is my vote.
Matthew Gountis
PA/NJ Area
Team Phoenix
HEY, CHECK ME OUT ON EBAY, I HAVE ALL SORTS OF SINGLES FOR SALE:
http://www.ebay.com/sch/cardlicker/m.ht ... 4340.l2562

STKerr

Post by STKerr »

I too am someone who rarely posts, though I have kept up with this competition. Part of this challenge is to create a theme, so either could work. But I do have a couple of comments (that apply to all three remaining contestants).

Look at all the virtual sets that hve come out. Like the rest of the game, most focus on the original three movies. Most decks revolve around the themes of these movies. Then there are a handful of cards and sets that focus on Ep. 1 - 3. These are exciting, but they are also more difficult to come by. Why? Because they were released in the months and year(s) before Decipher lost the license. These cards are more expensive, so many newer players and those that dont have a lot of money invested in the game (aka: me). And then, lastly, you have another handful of cards that focus on the storylines that came after the movies. There is a connection with the main characters as they continued their journey through these stories.

Why do I bring this up you ask? Well, because some individuals may be more willing to accept ideas that they actually have the cards for. This has been expressed before, but I might as well bring it up again.

Just another thing to keep in mind as you face another challenge.

PEACE
If you want to go fast; go alone.
If you want to go far; go together.
- African Proverb

stevetotheizz0

Post by stevetotheizz0 »

I really hope this ends in a tie.

The Franchise
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold

Post by The Franchise »

STKerr wrote: Why do I bring this up you ask? Well, because some individuals may be more willing to accept ideas that they actually have the cards for. This has been expressed before, but I might as well bring it up again.

PEACE

A very good point, one I try to keep in mind when making cards, and will certainly consider it when putting together this final entry.

Hari Seldon
Booster Box
Booster Box

Post by Hari Seldon »

The Franchise wrote:
STKerr wrote: Why do I bring this up you ask? Well, because some individuals may be more willing to accept ideas that they actually have the cards for. This has been expressed before, but I might as well bring it up again.

PEACE

A very good point, one I try to keep in mind when making cards, and will certainly consider it when putting together this final entry.
Are we supposed to be judging the participants choice of the underlying card too?
allstarz97 wrote:...and thematically, as everyone is referencing on this thread, why are people not mentioning the part where mace windu is crying like a little *, gets his hand cut off and then gets thrown out a window?

The Franchise
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold

Post by The Franchise »

Hari Seldon wrote:
The Franchise wrote:

PEACE

Are we supposed to be judging the participants choice of the underlying card too?

As always, you can vote however you want based on any criteria. I know for me personally, I spend a decent amount of time usually on the underlying card, trying to capture the best picture, and make sure the underlying card fits logically. Sometimes it is easier than others.

Zenith
LS Region: Toola
LS Region: Toola

Post by Zenith »

The Franchise wrote:
Hari Seldon wrote:
The Franchise wrote:

PEACE

As always, you can vote however you want based on any criteria. I know for me personally, I spend a decent amount of time usually on the underlying card, trying to capture the best picture, and make sure the underlying card fits logically. Sometimes it is easier than others.
This is something I spent a lot of my design-time on as well, when I was still in the running, and is an important factor to me. I want the cards I play with to look as good as possible, and make as much sense as possible, and this is definitely something I take into account when deciding where to place my vote.

As to which theme you should go with, Brad? Neither, in my opinion. I'm not really into all the extended universe stuff (with the exception of the Black Sun stuff, if you hadn't guessed..), so the Corran objective doesn't do anything for me. The Separatist objective *could* be interesting, at least its going to be based on the movies (albeit just the prequels). What I really wanna see is some new objectives dealing with content from the original trilogy. (My vote automatically goes to anyone who manages to make a viable, tier 2+ Ewok objective) :)
-Morten Iversen

Zenith - Team Copenhagen (Retired)

STKerr

Post by STKerr »

Hari Seldon wrote: Are we supposed to be judging the participants choice of the underlying card too?
Its not the only thing, but its part of the process of designing a virtual card. You have to look at EVERYTHING, not just the text. Title, destiny, power/ability/etc., text, playability and interactions with every other card out there. It's actually more difficult that it looks (imho).
If you want to go fast; go alone.
If you want to go far; go together.
- African Proverb

Return to “10th Anniversary Design Contest”