Euro Worlds Info - 12-14 October 2012

Bochum Germany
Shadow 14
Retired Advocate

Re: Euro Worlds Info - 12-14 October 2012

Post by Shadow 14 »

The "real" Octoberfest ends a week before Worlds. We had to decide between that and Essen.

The small trip from 15-18 October would contain a visit to a fake Octoberfest style bar/restaurant though. My first thoughts on this are something like:

14 October (Sunday night): Night train to Paris (around 100 Euro per person) takes 6 hours
15 October (Monday): Paris day tour with Eiffel tower (18 Euro) and Notre Dame, sleep in Paris (50 Euro)
16 October (Tuesday): more Paris stuff and continue to Brussels (3 hours, 40 Euro), sleep in Brussels (40 Euro)
17 October (Wednesday): check out Brussels, visit World Expo fair ground with Atomium, continue to Amsterdam (40 Euro, takes 2,5 hours), sleep in Amsterdam (around 30 Euro)
18 October (Thursday): check out Amsterdam, go to Cologne (3 hours, 40 Euro), check out the gothic Dome, stay in Cologne and do an old town city tour with Bavaria style thingy. Whoever needs to go to Essen that day, could do that as an alternative
19 October (Friday): visit the Essen fair and maybe Duesseldorf in the evening

This all depends on how many people are interested in this, what you can spend, etc.

:emp:

Chris (Euro Emperor) Menzel
Hannover - Germany

Image Image

aermet69
LS Region: Toola
GEMP Username: aermet69

Post by aermet69 »

Hey Chris, not sure I fully understand your time schedule there... are you going to have a day in Amsterdam? Or just sleeping over before continuing?

If you are going to have a day there, I might be able to set you up with my cousin, she's an art student in Amsterdam and could like show you some cool stuff there (or at least the good bars!) :)
- Casper Jørgensen
aermet69 - Member of Team Copenhagen
"Team Copenhagen never dies. They just go to the bar and respawn."
~UK National Champion 2011. ~Worlds 2012, 10th place. ~German Nationals 2014, Runner-up. ~European Champion 2014. ~Toola Regionals 2015, Runner-Up.

Shadow 14
Retired Advocate

Post by Shadow 14 »

Yes, I would do a day tour with the guys there. All of the above would be a fast and crazy way, and I would cram as much as I possibly could into the 3-4 day tour to show the guys as much as possible for as few money as possible. If any-one cannot do any of the things money wise, they could head back to Germany (Essen) early.

I would get back to you on this when I know more.
If most of these guys already land in Amsterdam and spend some time there before, it would be redundant.

My buddies from the States are relatively silent so far though. All in MCP preparations, or not finding good flights, or what's up, guys?
Hannover - Germany

Image Image

Zenith

Post by Zenith »

Casper, you had me at "set you up with my cousin"... Tell me more, i'm intriqued ;)
-Morten Iversen

Zenith - Team Copenhagen (Retired)

puck71
GEMP Username: puck71

Post by puck71 »

Shadow 14 wrote:My buddies from the States are relatively silent so far though. All in MCP preparations, or not finding good flights, or what's up, guys?
I'm still trying to process the bad scheduling news, and figure out my best schedule. If it had been Essen weekend I was thinking of flying in for the end of Oktoberfest in München, then doing a couple weeks of travel, maybe Austria or Switzerland, before ending up in Essen and Bochum for the last weekend before flying back. Now it's a lot more difficult to schedule.

Personally I think your agenda above tries to cram too much into too few days.
John Anderson
Proofing, Tournament Committee, GEMP Team

Shadow 14
Retired Advocate

Post by Shadow 14 »

Just to let you guys know, we really tried everything we could to make it the Essen weekend, but it was not really meant to be. Everybody who would and could be of help to us was already commited to some Essen events. The same was true for hotels, and travel logistics in that area. I just want to let you know that it was not made lightly.

Regarding the small trip, I would indeed cram as much as possible in there for those who are only able to stay one week and want to make the most of it. If all the visitors from the US and Australia are staying 2 weeks anyway, we could change the plans accordingly. I'm just offering suggestions for now.

@John, how about arriving for Worlds, doing the small trip, then Essen, and afterwards doing another week of travelling in South Europe? I will offer another tour for 20-28 October later, which would include Vienna, Italy, etc.

For now, just voice your opinions, like puck71 did.
If 10 people say "Yeah, this is too much" we could do only Paris.
If 10 people say it's too expensive, I would stay in the Germany area for those 3-4 days.
If the majority would like to travel alone (or with wife/girlfriend), I would concentrate on the 1-2 who would like to stay in a group. This will be a work in progress.
Hannover - Germany

Image Image

puck71
GEMP Username: puck71

Post by puck71 »

The other issue is I may be traveling with people and I need to figure out what THEY want to see and what their schedules are. Big trips like this are complicated. :)
John Anderson
Proofing, Tournament Committee, GEMP Team

Shadow 14
Retired Advocate

Post by Shadow 14 »

I tell you, baby! ;)

The next new country or colony I will visit will be my 100th. Gotta make it count! 8>
Running out of new good ones, too. But the good ones you can do multiple times.
If I were living in the States, I would have been in Vegas for the Nationals!! :-D
Hannover - Germany

Image Image

imrahil327
Tournament Advocate

Post by imrahil327 »

Yeah, if possible I'd like to get in on a tour with several other Americans (assuming I can go), so I'd like to coordinate a bit more with people like Puck and others.
Hunter wrote:Sebulba's W-L record is like...Always and 1. Tebow's is nowhere near that percentage.
allstarz97, about M:TG wrote:I feel like Michael Jordan playing baseball.

jimli
Booster Box
Booster Box

Post by jimli »

It probably won't be until early summer when I can take a look at how busy I expect to be in the fall, and then make a decision whether or not I'll be attending. But that's more advanced notice than I usually give! :-)

Anyways, if I were to attend, I would be flying into AMS or CDG, since those two cities have direct flights from Minneapolis. (Heathrow does too, but farther from Bochum and have to cross the channel one way or another.) In all likelihood it'll be AMS. I would plan on arriving Wednesday the 10th, stay a night, then leave Thursday morning for Bochum.

After the tournament, I plan on spending 1 more week in Europe, leaving on Saturday the 20th. I don't really care about visiting Essen so my plans won't be based around that.

Chris' whirlwind sightseeing trip sounds good but that kind of a busy schedule just isn't for me. I'm probably going to take a train to a target destination the Monday after the tournament, and then head back toward AMS (or CDG if I flew in there) on Friday.

Right now I'm trying to decide what city that might be. I would love to go to Copenhagen, but it's like a 8 hour ride from Bochum, and then even longer back to AMS. The other option I'm considering is Paris. Awesome city and haven't been back there in a few years, so might just head there after the tournament and spend the week there.

aermet69
GEMP Username: aermet69

Post by aermet69 »

jimli wrote:It probably won't be until early summer when I can take a look at how busy I expect to be in the fall, and then make a decision whether or not I'll be attending. But that's more advanced notice than I usually give! :-)

Anyways, if I were to attend, I would be flying into AMS or CDG, since those two cities have direct flights from Minneapolis. (Heathrow does too, but farther from Bochum and have to cross the channel one way or another.) In all likelihood it'll be AMS. I would plan on arriving Wednesday the 10th, stay a night, then leave Thursday morning for Bochum.

After the tournament, I plan on spending 1 more week in Europe, leaving on Saturday the 20th. I don't really care about visiting Essen so my plans won't be based around that.

Chris' whirlwind sightseeing trip sounds good but that kind of a busy schedule just isn't for me. I'm probably going to take a train to a target destination the Monday after the tournament, and then head back toward AMS (or CDG if I flew in there) on Friday.

Right now I'm trying to decide what city that might be. I would love to go to Copenhagen, but it's like a 8 hour ride from Bochum, and then even longer back to AMS. The other option I'm considering is Paris. Awesome city and haven't been back there in a few years, so might just head there after the tournament and spend the week there.
jimli, if you decide on Copenhagen, make sure to contact me beforehand, and I'll help you sort stuff out. Depending on a lot of things, we might even be able to squeeze you into our car, saving you a lot of money on the trip - however, I can't make that kind of promises right now.

It goes for everyone, if you plan on dropping by Copenhagen, make sure to contact me!
- Casper Jørgensen
aermet69 - Member of Team Copenhagen
"Team Copenhagen never dies. They just go to the bar and respawn."
~UK National Champion 2011. ~Worlds 2012, 10th place. ~German Nationals 2014, Runner-up. ~European Champion 2014. ~Toola Regionals 2015, Runner-Up.

jimli
Booster Box
Booster Box

Post by jimli »

Thanks aermet69, I'll definitely keep that in mind, but yeah as you mentioned it's still far too early to make any kind of firm arrangements. (For me at least)

Shadow 14
Retired Advocate

Post by Shadow 14 »

Thanks Jim and Chris.

I'll keep watching here. Every-one don't hesitate to make suggestions or wishes (like jimli did with Copenhagen).
Hannover - Germany

Image Image

RegularOrdinarySwedishDude
Starter
Starter

Post by RegularOrdinarySwedishDude »

The next new country or colony I will visit will be my 100th. Gotta make it count! 8>
Running out of new good ones, too. But the good ones you can do multiple times.
If I were living in the States, I would have been in Vegas for the Nationals!! :-D
And of course, my question for you is, have you been to sweden yet (I guess so, but I have to check)?

Shadow 14
Retired Advocate

Post by Shadow 14 »

Yep. The only European countries or colonies I haven't been to are...
Malta, Cypress, Iceland and Greenland. ;)

I've only been to Sweden once, and it's been a while, so I could go again someday.
Hannover - Germany

Image Image

Maulerr_NL

Post by Maulerr_NL »

aermet69 wrote:Hey Chris, not sure I fully understand your time schedule there... are you going to have a day in Amsterdam? Or just sleeping over before continuing?

If you are going to have a day there, I might be able to set you up with my cousin, she's an art student in Amsterdam and could like show you some cool stuff there (or at least the good bars!) :)
Amsterdam is only 40 minutes away from where I live. Although I never really get into bars or such. I always stick around card game shops, games, vintage toys, transformers, etc. ^^ But I can show you guys the way to the redlight district, hooters, sex museum, torture museum, "coffee shops", etc. ;)

Shadow 14
Retired Advocate

Post by Shadow 14 »

Thanks, Dennis.

It's up to our American buddies now. I've made tons of suggestions, but it now comes down to who will come, and what they want to see. As soon as a couple of guys booked their flights, and I know what they want to see, I will get back to you (or David for Italy, the Vikings for Denmark, Richard for France, etc), and we'll work something out for them.
Hannover - Germany

Image Image

Sparksymusic
Starter
Starter

Post by Sparksymusic »

I'm not sure how many of us will be there from Australia but at this stage, it looks like 2 at most. I'll be there for the week before the 12th and the week after - happy to do whatever just so long as I know in advance. Paying for the flights next week so I'm hoping chris' week of insanity is still a go but Like I said, happy to do whatever.

imrahil327
Tournament Advocate

Post by imrahil327 »

Sparksymusic wrote:I'm not sure how many of us will be there from Australia but at this stage, it looks like 2 at most. I'll be there for the week before the 12th and the week after - happy to do whatever just so long as I know in advance. Paying for the flights next week so I'm hoping chris' week of insanity is still a go but Like I said, happy to do whatever.
That's really awesome!
Hunter wrote:Sebulba's W-L record is like...Always and 1. Tebow's is nowhere near that percentage.
allstarz97, about M:TG wrote:I feel like Michael Jordan playing baseball.

Sparksymusic
Starter
Starter

Post by Sparksymusic »

Just heard from Kyle (For those in the states, he was the Australian at Worlds in 09) and he can't make it. Looks like only one Australian this year - sad face.

Return to “2012 World Championships - Oct. 12-14”