mr007agent's plans

Bochum Germany
mr007agent

mr007agent's plans

Post by mr007agent »

If anyone cares this is what I am planning on doing.

Flying into Munich and going to Ocktoberfest. Although, I just found out that I need a reservation and if not good luck? Is this true, if so can anyone help me out?

Site seeing south, southwest, west and central Germany. Ending up in Brochum and flying out from there.

You think I should rent a car or travel by train? Not sure the train can go everywhere I want to. My wife is coming so I keep that in mind.

No concrete plans as of yet.

Michael Richards
Rogue 84
PC Volunteer
Shadow 43 - Dantooine Flight Leader
http://omega.uta.edu/~mhr7680/dantooineswccg.html
-007-
ImageImage

aermet69
LS Region: Toola
LS Region: Toola
GEMP Username: aermet69

Re: mr007agent's plans

Post by aermet69 »

Awesome Mike!

I can hardly believe you'd need a ticket to drink beer, but I guess the german players would know better.
- Casper Jørgensen
aermet69 - Member of Team Copenhagen
"Team Copenhagen never dies. They just go to the bar and respawn."
~UK National Champion 2011. ~Worlds 2012, 10th place. ~German Nationals 2014, Runner-up. ~European Champion 2014. ~Toola Regionals 2015, Runner-Up.

rlx
LS Region: Ralltiir
LS Region: Ralltiir

Post by rlx »

mr007agent wrote: Flying into Munich and going to Ocktoberfest. Although, I just found out that I need a reservation and if not good luck? Is this true, if so can anyone help me out?
Yep, this seems to be true, except in early morning.
Check out http://www.oktoberfest.de/en/article/Ab ... rfest/760/.
Some of the tents have websites in englisch, but at least for the evening hours they don't seem to have reservations left.

But to be honest, if you just want to drink beer the Oktoberfest is the wrong place or at least a ridiculous expensive place.
#freegalen

darkjediknight11
Communications Advocate
GEMP Username: djk11

Post by darkjediknight11 »

mr007agent wrote:You think I should rent a car or travel by train? Not sure the train can go everywhere I want to. My wife is coming so I keep that in mind.
My wife and I just spent this past week driving from Frankfurt to Munich, making all sorts of detours. It's real easy, especially with gps that seems to come somewhat standard. Gas is expensive though, for sure

puck71
GEMP Username: puck71

Post by puck71 »

mr007agent wrote:You think I should rent a car or travel by train? Not sure the train can go everywhere I want to. My wife is coming so I keep that in mind.
Kinda depends. The trains go tons of places, but obviously the car gives you the most flexibility. I'd say it mostly depends on exactly where you want to go.
John Anderson
Proofing, Tournament Committee, GEMP Team

mr007agent

Post by mr007agent »

darkjediknight11 wrote:
My wife and I just spent this past week driving from Frankfurt to Munich, making all sorts of detours. It's real easy, especially with gps that seems to come somewhat standard. Gas is expensive though, for sure
Maybe a dumb question but can you use an American GPS? How much was it to rent a car? Did you get insurance?
Michael Richards
Rogue 84
PC Volunteer
-007-
ImageImage

Gravityshadow
World Champion
World Champion

Post by Gravityshadow »

Hey Mike,

awsome news!!!

Actually, I've never been to the real Munich Oktoberfest. But I'm sure everything was mentioned already. Reservations for a seat in the tents need to be booked in advance. Some seats in the tent can only be bought on stage every day. But I don't know how early you have to be there to get one. However the entry to the Oktoberfest is free.
mr007agent wrote:
darkjediknight11 wrote:
Maybe a dumb question but can you use an American GPS? How much was it to rent a car? Did you get insurance?
Regarding GPS, I would say that the Satellites sending the signals work also above Europe :)
However, your navigation system needs European/German maps. If you want to use your phone for this please check your providers rates. Of course, if the car comes with a navigation system the maps are included.

On average I would say that prices for car rents are a bit more expensive that in the US, but European small means really small! However, gas is more expensive in Germany. Of course we have lots of insurance in Germany: car insurance, health insurance... and everything is mandatory :)

If you need a car or go by train really depends on what/where you want to go and how flexible you want to be. If you need more help just contact me or Chris Menzel.

deadbody
Lead Moderator

Post by deadbody »

Mike you need to figure out a way to bring Angelo some good US rootbeer.

I will help with the cost. The man was drinking A & W like it was good. Get a case of some good specialty US stuff and he might propose to you.
Terron wrote:Does some RPG book list the Rockwell hardness of AT-AT ankles? Can't we settle this like real virgins?
Image Image

Like good beer? http://www.surlybrewing.com

darkjediknight11
Communications Advocate
GEMP Username: djk11

Post by darkjediknight11 »

mr007agent wrote:
darkjediknight11 wrote:
Dunno about using your own gps...mine was built into the car (didn't even reserve the option, was just a friendly surprise)

I paid about $300 to rent an automatic (manuals are cheaper) for 5 days from Hertz. Gas was about 60 Euro to fill a tank, I think I paid a sum of about 130 Euro for those 5 days for gas

For insurance, I'd check with the credit card you use to book...Chase covered me. If not, you may have to pay the rental agency a bit more for the option

Calaglin

Post by Calaglin »

deadbody wrote:Mike you need to figure out a way to bring Angelo some good US rootbeer.
Bringing American beer to Germany? :lol:
Cedrik V. - Belgium
Ruler of the Low Countries

Shadow 14
Retired Advocate

Post by Shadow 14 »

Give him a break, guys. Of course Octoberfest is overrated and not the best place to drink beer.
But since they expect half of the Germans to run around drinking beer in leather pants and hats, you have to go to Octoberfest, I guess. (Yeah, the other half are slim gay techno dudes in polyester). :)

Anyway, we wanna see the cliche stuff as well, when we go to the States (which of course consist mainly of Disney Land, New York Daytona spring break with girls gone wild, and San Diego Comic Con). :)

Michael, mail me your flight details as soon as you have them. I will try to get you some Octoberfest tickets the, but I cannot promise anything. If it's the weekend 6-7th October you want to go, I would try to join you there with my girlfriend (it's a 6-7 hour drive though). I might go by train. Might be a bit faster (4-5 hours).

Rental car will probably be a bit more expensive like Angelo said. The price Keith said seems representative (and automatic is more expensive). You are more flexible with the car though. If you want to drive along the countryside (Rhine river, castles and stuff) the car would probably be better. If you are more interested in the big cities (Munich, Cologne, maybe Vienna?), they should be easier to reach by train.
Maybe a combination of both. If you stay 2-3 days drunk in Munich for Octoberfest you wouldn't need a car anyway. Lemme know your flight details (start/finish) and I can give you a few tips.
Chris (Euro Emperor) Menzel
Hannover - Germany

Image Image

MasterJediAdam
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold

Post by MasterJediAdam »

Shadow 14 wrote:Give him a break, guys. Of course Octoberfest is overrated and not the best place to drink beer.
But since they expect half of the Germans to run around drinking beer in leather pants and hats, you have to go to Octoberfest, I guess. (Yeah, the other half are slim gay techno dudes in polyester). :)

Anyway, we wanna see the cliche stuff as well, when we go to the States (which of course consist mainly of Disney Land, New York Daytona spring break with girls gone wild, and San Diego Comic Con). :)

Michael, mail me your flight details as soon as you have them. I will try to get you some Octoberfest tickets the, but I cannot promise anything. If it's the weekend 6-7th October you want to go, I would try to join you there with my girlfriend (it's a 6-7 hour drive though). I might go by train. Might be a bit faster (4-5 hours).

Rental car will probably be a bit more expensive like Angelo said. The price Keith said seems representative (and automatic is more expensive). You are more flexible with the car though. If you want to drive along the countryside (Rhine river, castles and stuff) the car would probably be better. If you are more interested in the big cities (Munich, Cologne, maybe Vienna?), they should be easier to reach by train.
Maybe a combination of both. If you stay 2-3 days drunk in Munich for Octoberfest you wouldn't need a car anyway. Lemme know your flight details (start/finish) and I can give you a few tips.
You don't need tickets to drink beer everywhere at Oktoberfest, just the big beer "tents" which are actually buildings in most cases. Definitely try to get there earlier in the day, as sweaty people who have been drinking all day is not the coolest smell. True story, when I was there in 2005 I accidentally walked into the gardens of an asylum ...
ImageImage

mr007agent

Post by mr007agent »

New plans. So it seems that every single hotel in Munich charges more than double during oktoberfest and most are even sold out. My wife and I decided that the extra $500 wasn't worth the largest party in the world so we are going to forgo the festivity. So now our travel plans are shaping up to be something like this:

Arrive in Dusseldorf/Bochum area on Friday 12th and play in the team tournament.
10/13 Saturday: play cards
10/14 Sunday: win worlds
10/15 Monday explore Dusseldorf
10/16 Tuesday explore Dusseldorf
10/17 Wednesday Rhine river cruise.
10/18 Thursday explore Cologne
10/19 Friday explore Cologne
10/20 Saturday explore Heidelberg
10/21 Sunday explore Heidelberg
10/22 Monday explore Munich
10/23 Tuesday explore Munich
10/24 Wednesday Neuschwanstein castle
10/25 Thursday Concentration Camp
10/26 Friday Do something fun
10/27 Leave Germany
Last edited by mr007agent on October 9th, 2012, 2:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Michael Richards
Rogue 84
PC Volunteer
-007-
ImageImage

Shadow 14
Retired Advocate

Post by Shadow 14 »

Forget the other post. I see that you booked. ;)

I can only recommend to swip one of your 3 Frankfurt days for another day in Cologne.
But maybe it was just a copy/paste mistake anyway. Cologne is more beautiful than Frankfurt imho.

Anyway, it will be good to have you here! We have to see about this winning Worlds thing though. ;)
Chris (Euro Emperor) Menzel
Hannover - Germany

Image Image

Maulerr_NL

Post by Maulerr_NL »

darkjediknight11 wrote:
Don't visit the Netherlands. Price on gas is even higher. Although Amsterdam might be worth your while.

mr007agent

Post by mr007agent »

Thomas Whaley booked his flight!

I am in the process of doing it. Something always comes up that prevents me from doing it. Hopefully tonight.
Michael Richards
Rogue 84
PC Volunteer
-007-
ImageImage

rhendon

Post by rhendon »

mr007agent wrote:Thomas Whaley booked his flight!

I am in the process of doing it. Something always comes up that prevents me from doing it. Hopefully tonight.
Then I don't see how your 10/14 activity is right then. If Thomas is going, you're not going to win worlds...

kryptofis

Post by kryptofis »

Ofc he's not going to win...

I am glad you're coming!
Kryptofis

mr007agent

Post by mr007agent »

My itinerary:

#1 Airline: United Airlines, Flight #4456
* Flight operated by:
Departure: Thu, Oct 11 10:05 AM Houston-intercontinental, TX, US(IAH)
Arrival: Thu, Oct 11 02:19 PM Toronto Pearson, ON, CA(YYZ)
EMBRAER RJ135/140/145 JET

#2 Airline: Air Canada, Flight #9175
* Flight operated by:
Departure: Thu, Oct 11 04:35 PM Toronto Pearson, ON, CA(YYZ)
Arrival: Fri, Oct 12 06:05 AM Dusseldorf, DE(DUS)
AIRBUS INDUSTRIE A340-300 JET
From: Munich, DE to: Houston-intercontinental, TX, US Duration: 14h 19min Stops: 1

#1 Airline: Lufthansa German Airlines, Flight #0434
Departure: Sat, Oct 27 03:35 PM Munich, DE(MUC)
Arrival: Sat, Oct 27 06:20 PM Chicago-ohare, IL, US(ORD)
AIRBUS INDUSTRIE A340-600 JET
Airline Confirmation: 2IYRPN

#2 Airline: United Airlines, Flight #0762
Departure: Sat, Oct 27 08:08 PM Chicago-ohare, IL, US(ORD)
Arrival: Sat, Oct 27 10:54 PM Houston-intercontinental, TX, US(IAH)
BOEING 757-200 JET
Michael Richards
Rogue 84
PC Volunteer
-007-
ImageImage

JediJer
Administrator

Post by JediJer »

mr007agent wrote: 10/19 Friday explore Frankfurt
10/20 Saturday explore Frankfurt
10/21 Sunday explore Frankfurt
I wouldn't spend this much time in Frankfurt. One day would be sufficient. You could easily spend a day in Koblenz, which you probably will do if you take a Rhine river cruise. I would recommend Heidelberg over Frankfurt. Most of Frankfurt is big city, financial district type stuff. Pretty boring, although there are a few things to see downtown. If you don't see Heidelberg, you're missing out. There's a lot of shopping and you can take a tour of the old palace, which includes a winery, if memory serves.

So you could spend Friday in Cologne and take the train to Heidelberg, spend Saturday and Sunday there, and then continue on as planned.

The train ride from Cologne to Frankfurt goes right along the river, so that's definitely a pretty ride, especially in October.

Return to “2012 World Championships - Oct. 12-14”