Irol's report on day 2 and 3

Bochum Germany
irol
Starter
Starter

Irol's report on day 2 and 3

Post by irol »

***WARNING*** ***WALL OF TEXT COMING***
The report on day 0 and day 1 can be found elsewhere on the Euro Worlds forum.

DAY 2

This is the day everyone waited for. Eight games of swiss SoS to determine who will play for the ultimate trophy on day 3 or play in a side tourney.
54 players were cramped together to fight it out in an amazing atmosphere: louder than the Mos Eisley cantina, tougher than the audience chamber and more excentric than the Coruscant nightclub.

Game 1.
My huntdown vs. Tamas Papp’s Scoundrels.
I start with Ni chuba na?(V), Gift of the master(V) and IAO/SP.
Tamas begins with A good blaster on your side, Wokling(V) and Sai’torr Kal Fas(V).
I think we played each other on every major tournament the last few years, and Euro worlds is no exception to it. I am really looking forward to play Tamas again.

I have a good opening hand and Lord Vader + saber is on Nar Shaddaa turn 1. My objective is flipped and Visage of the Euro Emperor starts to hurt Tamas. Soon after I have the Emperor-Janus combo on the Executor, and I filter my deck. Meanwhile Tamas finds a way to flip his objective and he controls space for the entire game.
My dark Jedi have declared total war against the scoundrels. First strike is also on table. Almost every turn there was a battle, especially because Tamas took back at least 3 scoundrels from lost pile.
On a given moment, Tamas takes the initiative and deploys DTF. Things are looking very bad to me because I lose 2 force every battle while Tamas retrieves 2. Also, my objective is on the 0-side (too many scoundrels on table). Thanks to Janus I could track a series of ultra high destinies and eventually I survive the scoundrel’s counter offensive.
Time is called and I have 9 life force left vs. Tamas’ 5.

TW +4; 2VP

Game 2.
My RST vs. Dennis Schwarz’s ASM
I start with Strike planning, Quick draw(V) and Commando training & K’lor slug.
Dennis begins with Ni chuba na?(V), Gift of the master(V) and 3720to 1(V).
Dennis is a returning player, whom I played against in a distant past. I don’t know how skilled he is now, so it looks interesting.

The first two turns we do our stuff and ignore each other completely. On the third turn, Dennis sends Maul to the bunker to fight General Solo(V) and DoS. Maul gets barriered and a bodyguard droid comes to protect him. On my turn I initiated a battle and Dennis has to play Ghhhk to save his game. My attempt to blow up the bunker after winning a battle succeeds and Dennis loses another 8 force.
Later on, Maul drains hard on one of the flagship sites and U3PO blocks my drain at the back door. Home one takes over space and I can join the drain race as well. I don’t find the cards to get rid of Maul or the undercover spy.
Eventually I find sufficient cards to battle a few times. None of these battles is decisive and one time I escape a beatdown myself because Dennis draws the worst destinies possible (I have verified his reserve). At the end I send a beatdown squad to the battle droid squad, but miss my lightsaber swing on him. My final battle has not the result I wanted and when time is called I emerge victorious after a nervous drain race.

TW +5; 4VP

Game 3.
My huntdown vs. Angelo Consoli’s Profit.
Angelo begins with IMBATS(V), Quick draw(V) and Seeking an audience(V).
I drop the Fett family at the Audience chamber.
Angelo must be the most skilled and experienced player here. He was my n°1 candidate for worlds. Normally Angelo beats me over and over again but last tournament I could beat him. I was confident I could do it again.

I deploy Sidious to the AC and Angelo sets up slowly. Because Vader keeps hiding in my reserve, I lose to visage myself quite a few times. All my copies of visage are in the lost pile after turn 2, and Angelo drops Boussh to the Executor cancelling visage. For the entire game, I am unable to deal visage damage. There are no systems on table, so I have to battle and drain if I ever want to win this game.
I send Maul to deal with Boussh, but she narrow escapes. The turn after, nabrun Leids transports her safely to Jabba’s Palace. Maul has to walk the whole way by foot and won’t be involved in battles the next few turns.
One moment I make the sacrifice and send my characters in front of Agelo’s forces. Don’t forget the droids kills all my characters but at least I can redeploy them now and go for the fight again no matter how bad the odds are. Sidious does his ultimate best to try placing Obi-Wan out of play, but my attempts fail and the game slips out of my hands. It’s a small loss when time is called, but that’s because Angelo has many cards on table and he is in full control.

TL -4; 4VP

Game 4.
My RST vs. Massimiliano Colussi’s CPI.
Massimiliano is one of the newer players, who knows very bad English. But he has DDM sitting next to him, who assumes the role of astromech translator if the need arises.

On my second turn the bunker is already blown to pieces. Massimiliano ignores me completely and starts blowing up systems. Everytime that happens, I lose 4 force from reserve. I lose my Home One this way. Ouch. I deploy R2-D2 in Red 5 with Scout Luke at Endor for free drains. He is never battled and that was the correct choice of Massimiliano. U3PO blocks my drain at the back door and I just can’t find the cards to deal with him. I lose the drain and blowup race and never reach the point where Massimiliano has to make a choice. He always has enough force to drain, blow up, retrieve. I make a mistake by not noticing my own Imperial atrocity(V) being on table, but it wouldn’t have prevented my defeat.

FL -21; 4VP

Game 5.
My Huntdown vs. Julian Fuss’ Combat racing.
Julian begins with Honor of the Jedi. I deploy no podracer.
Julian also returned after a break of a few years, but still knows the tricks and traps. He’s a very good player and comes with a deck I absolutely dislike: both in playing and playing against.

The game also starts very badly for me, Julian has too many evasion cards and busts my shields. Some crucial cards like First strike and No escape hit the lost pile very fast. I try to place the jedi out of play with Sidious (my only viable tactic), but it just doesn’t work and the game is over pretty fast.

FL -42; 4VP

Game 6.
My RST vs. Benjamin Jakob’s Huntdown(V).
Benjamin begins with Endor shield(V), Gift of the master(V) and Ni chuba na?(V).
Benjamin is one of those players I always have to play against. We always enjoy the games we play against each other. I really look forward to play him once more.

Benjamin takes a lightning start and drops Galen to the generator core while I set my pieces in preparation of the fireworks at Endor. The big drain at Naboo is absorbed by hindsight(V) (This is an amazing card, it helped me many times).
On my second turn Solo blows up the bunker and DoS deals with Galen at Naboo.
Somehow Benjamin is not deploying his best forces and after some battles I take over the generator core with DoS and EPP Obi-Wan. The force retrieval from my objective is decisive. At the end Home one and Ackbar(V) beat Fett and black leader in space, sealing my victory. The reason why Benjamin couldn’t retaliate are his lightsabers that kept hiding from him. When he finally got them in his hand the game was already lost for him.

FW +19, 6VP

Game 7.
My RST vs. Dirk Friedrichs’ Imperial entanglements.
Dirk begins with fleet security protocols, Endor shield(V) and Aratech corporation(V).
In a distant past we were often tied against each other and fought many epic battles. I can’t remember we’ve ever played an NPE game against each other during our whole SWCCG careers. I feel so pleased to play him one final time. I brought a battle deck, I am sure Dirk likes that.

Dirk sets up his stuff to flip his objective, but I sense he plays very carefully. Meanwhile I prepare another fireworks showdown and on my second turn Solo blows up the bunker. Dirk loses 8 force from reserve. I see a lot of annoying effects, interrupts and high destinies hitting his lost pile. General Solo(V) drains for 2 at the back door and he does that entire game. Dirk is wise enough not to come at the back door.
When Dirk finally flips his objective, I have Home one with Ackbar sitting on Endor. By no means I am able to defeat a pimped Devastator so I avoid any unnecessary confrontations with the Imperial fleet. The only event happening in space is a never ending hide-and-seek game on Endor an Tatooine. I know Dirk still has some space cards to attack my home one, but after the game he told me he could never fight me out of space.
Meanwhile, I keep throwing my forces against the vehicles on Tatooine. The force retrieval of my objective is once more decisive. After every battle, Dirk has only few forces left on one site. That keeps his heavy drains at bay.
Halfway the game, all my Lukes are still hidden in reserve. When I finally find two of them, they are sent to lost pile with a Monnok. yay.
One time I took my 33.3% chance to draw the ideal destiny for Nabrun Leids (R2-D2 in Red 5) and the remaining über destinies cripple Dirk’s forces on Tatooine.
Dirk just keeps spamming vehicles and pilots on Tatooine but time is almost called and I refrain from battling.

TW +8; VP 8

Game 8.
My Huntdown vs. Brian Herold’s Scoundrels.
Brian begins with A good blaster on your side, Wokling(V) and Sai’torr Kal Fas(V).
I really look forward to play Brian. I know he’s a very skilled player and it will be very tough to beat him. But if I do, I would end 5-3 with a strong SoS and score a result beyond my expectations.

I have a very good opening hand and deploy Lord Vader on a Nar Shaddaa site. Visage starts pinging Brian until end of game. Brian plays the imperial navigation charts and deploys Chewie there. I am able to win the battle against the wookiee so Brian won’t flip his objective. On Brian’s subsequent turn, he takes over the only system on table. I have no intentions to come there and focus on winning this game on the ground.
More scoundrels hit the ground, but I knock them off table and Brian fails to flip his objective. To counter my heavy drains, Boussh is placed in front of Lord Vader and Emperor. She is protected with one of the scoundrel effects, I never attempt to force lightning her as I am completely unable to track one of my destiny 7 cards.
I know Brian is in deep trouble but I keep drawing the wrong cards and my destinies just don’t get filtered. Eventually Brian flips his objective (and reflips mine) and now his drains hurt me very bad.
Near the end of the game I go for the all-decisive battle: Maul attacks the rebel agent, Vader takes on Boussh (who is not undercover anymore). First strike is on table. If I can kick both scoundrels off table, I win the game. Maul misses both his swings and draws crappy destiny. Vader also misses the swing on Boussh (even with the +1 on his weapon destiny draws) and the BD isn’t enough. The result of my assault is disastrous and the game is over. Brian ends 6-2 and that’s enough for him to go to the final tomorrow.

FL -12

I went 4-4 but end 21st thanks to a very high SoS. It has been the longest day in my SWCCG career, it’s already 3am. What made Euro Worlds so cool is the fighting spirit: none of the 54 players dropped. Everyone played with an open mind, I have not noticed any form of * play. This has been an epic event for everyone of us. I am not making it to day 3 and hand over my decks to Gregor (who bought my entire collection and won’t be present on day 3). My active career as a SWCCG player ends here. After the prize distribution, I can finally join my bed at 4am. Few hours remain until day 3…

DAY 3

CONSOLATION TOURNAMENT

Everyone not making it into the final could play another 4 games of Swiss differential to determine who is the best in the mini-final. 16 players fight it out. John Benkert Holtet and Darren Pillbeam end first place ex-aequo.

FINAL

The top 8 had to fight it out in a match play elimination. I got permission from the Euro emperor to witness the quarterfinal between Angelo Consoli (2nd place) and Julian Fuss (7th place). The report is sent to the Euro emperor, who will publish it in a separate topic on the forums. All the other quarterfinals are reported the same way. Emil beats Angelo in the finals with one little force. You can’t have any better than this.

After the first quarterfinal, my transport to Belgium is ready. I feel totally exhausted and decide to leave earlier than anticipated. We have a reporter for the quarterfinals and the final; my services are not needed anymore. I left trough the back door but it was the right choice. I fully enjoyed this Euro Worlds, want to thank everyone present and props to the people I talked with. Also good luck to those who supported me by sending me private emails afterwards.

"It is useless to resist"

Shadow 14
Retired Advocate

Re: Irol's report on day 2 and 3

Post by Shadow 14 »

I said it before, and I will say it again.

YOU WILL BE DEEPLY MISSED; MY FRIEND!!!

Thanks again for the report on Angelo/Julian (coming up), and for the final Irol report (sigh).
I've printed it out and will read it on the plane!

Still hope to see you again!

Chris
Chris (Euro Emperor) Menzel
Hannover - Germany

Image Image

FlorisV

Post by FlorisV »

Did Angelo Nabrun Leids Boussh from Executor Meditation Chamber (interior site)?

I thought it was limited to exterior sites only by IAO & SP?
http://www.mymero.com

Ryloth Region
ImageImage

irol
Starter
Starter

Post by irol »

Boussh already moved to the executor docking bay, which is exterior.

I also pointed it out to Angelo during the game. He didn't make the mistake :)
"It is useless to resist"

Uber-Obi
Reflections Pack
Reflections Pack

Post by Uber-Obi »

Like you said, I always loved playing against you because those games were fun!
I'm pretty sure they went 50/50 and they were always close games like this one. A few more turns and maybe... :)

Thank you for all those games, Stefaan!!!
WiseMarsellus wrote:no one ever expects the 25 card combo of death!

Yoda007

Post by Yoda007 »

Uber-Obi wrote:Like you said, I always loved playing against you because those games were fun!
I'm pretty sure they went 50/50 and they were always close games like this one. A few more turns and maybe... :)

Thank you for all those games, Stefaan!!!
+1000x
Tamas Papp

"Oh come on! How could playtesting results have a greater weight in this discussion than pure opinions?!
What’s the point of this forum if you rather believe in people who tested those cards instead of people who just know?" -BW

Return to “2012 World Championships - Oct. 12-14”