Magic Cube

Hyatt Regency - New Brunswick
Two Albany Street
New Brunswick, NJ 08901
Registration Guide - http://www.starwarsccg.org/mpc.pdf
Mr. G
Sealed Deck
Sealed Deck
Posts: 286
Joined: January 30th, 2010, 2:15 pm

Magic Cube

Post by Mr. G »

I have a MTG (Magic for all you losers out there) cube that I have been using and constantly editing for a while, and it is for eight players currently, but I could possibly expand it to ten if people are interested. Just a thought, something that could be a change of pace. :???


Matthew Gountis
PA/NJ Area
Team Phoenix
HEY, CHECK ME OUT ON EBAY, I HAVE ALL SORTS OF SINGLES FOR SALE:
http://www.ebay.com/sch/cardlicker/m.ht ... 4340.l2562

User avatar
puck71
Member
Posts: 12897
Joined: February 17th, 2008, 8:59 pm
Location: St. Paul, MN
GEMP Username: puck71

Re: Magic Cube

Post by puck71 »

What format (or whatever it's called) is the cube? I'm not very good, but I'd try some games.
John Anderson
Proofing, Tournament Committee, GEMP Team

Steviegets112
Booster Box
Booster Box
Posts: 1290
Joined: April 22nd, 2007, 10:13 pm

Re: Magic Cube

Post by Steviegets112 »

cash drafts?

Mr. G
Sealed Deck
Sealed Deck
Posts: 286
Joined: January 30th, 2010, 2:15 pm

Re: Magic Cube

Post by Mr. G »

We could play for cash if that was the general consensus.
@Puck71: The cube is a preset list of cards that we draft in packs of 15. Basically, I have 360 currently (enough for eight drafters) in sleeves (because I use proxies, I don't wanna buy Library of Alexandria or Anscetral Recall) that we take, shuffle them up, and put them into piles of 15: "packs." Everyone gets three, and we draft. It's really fun because the cards span the entire existence of Magic, and such, and the product is free, as your not paying cash to draft because there is no keeping of the product involved, unless everyone wants to play for cash. Beyond that, I also have 50 of each basic land type in the same sleeves, so you draft, build, it's already in sleeves, so you just play. It's a lost of fun, and something that a lot of people haven't heard of, but is something that you can just pickup and play.
Matthew Gountis
PA/NJ Area
Team Phoenix
HEY, CHECK ME OUT ON EBAY, I HAVE ALL SORTS OF SINGLES FOR SALE:
http://www.ebay.com/sch/cardlicker/m.ht ... 4340.l2562

User avatar
imrahil327
Tournament Advocate
Posts: 31086
Joined: July 3rd, 2006, 3:51 am
Location: San Diego

Re: Magic Cube

Post by imrahil327 »

I wouldn't play for cash, but I'd play for fun.
Image
Hunter wrote:Sebulba's W-L record is like...Always and 1. Tebow's is nowhere near that percentage.
allstarz97, about M:TG wrote:I feel like Michael Jordan playing baseball.

Steviegets112
Booster Box
Booster Box
Posts: 1290
Joined: April 22nd, 2007, 10:13 pm

Re: Magic Cube

Post by Steviegets112 »

schoenthal ill stake you. you can roll with mike and i. ill probably have mine on me as well. im curious what do you use for proxies?

Mr. G
Sealed Deck
Sealed Deck
Posts: 286
Joined: January 30th, 2010, 2:15 pm

Re: Magic Cube

Post by Mr. G »

magiccards.info is what I use. You go on, it is always up to date very quickly, and you search for the card you need. After you click on that card's entry, you go to the bottom where it says +1,+2,+3 and +4, and you click on the number you need. After that it puts them, full image and all, in a printer-friendly version, and you can get 8 cards per page. That's the best thing that I have found.
@Schoenthol: Yeah, my plan was definitely more to play just for fun, as that is part of the beauty of the cube, imo. However, if there is a riot where people won't play unless there's cash on the line, then I suppose I would be open to it.
Matthew Gountis
PA/NJ Area
Team Phoenix
HEY, CHECK ME OUT ON EBAY, I HAVE ALL SORTS OF SINGLES FOR SALE:
http://www.ebay.com/sch/cardlicker/m.ht ... 4340.l2562

The Franchise
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold
Posts: 12676
Joined: January 26th, 2005, 9:20 pm
Location: Akron

Re: Magic Cube

Post by The Franchise »

i would be down for innistrad drafts (actually by the time mpc is out it will be 1 dark ascension 2 innistrad). probably not interested in cube a ton (and less interested in a cube that is the same 360 as every other cube, and certainly harrdly any interest in a money cube draft)

for DA/INN/INN i'm down for drafts, either 8 man or teams, for cash, cheesecake or pride

also i can bring some packs, i got a stack of them after getting busted out of a win a mox event when bro nut drew me twice with the giest/destiny racket in the elimination rounds

Hari Seldon
Booster Box
Booster Box
Posts: 1289
Joined: May 9th, 2010, 6:46 pm

Re: Magic Cube

Post by Hari Seldon »

I have almost no idea what Brad just said, but I used to play Magic, back when we had tournaments for all 5 mox stone and would be willing to play, although I don't know about playing for money either because I haven't played in 15+ years, other than fooling around on the xbox 360 arcade games.
allstarz97 wrote:...and thematically, as everyone is referencing on this thread, why are people not mentioning the part where mace windu is crying like a little *, gets his hand cut off and then gets thrown out a window?

Mr. G
Sealed Deck
Sealed Deck
Posts: 286
Joined: January 30th, 2010, 2:15 pm

Re: Magic Cube

Post by Mr. G »

Brad Eier wrote:i would be down for innistrad drafts (actually by the time mpc is out it will be 1 dark ascension 2 innistrad). probably not interested in cube a ton (and less interested in a cube that is the same 360 as every other cube, and certainly harrdly any interest in a money cube draft)

for DA/INN/INN i'm down for drafts, either 8 man or teams, for cash, cheesecake or pride

also i can bring some packs, i got a stack of them after getting busted out of a win a mox event when bro nut drew me twice with the giest/destiny racket in the elimination rounds
Mine is certainly not the same 360 as everyone elses, as I have a tendency to lean toward playing moreso with cards that I actually do have, which is some older stuff, like from Ice Age, but then is mostly stuff beginning in Worldwake and M10 until the present. Also, I honestly probably won't play if they are cash drafts, so maybe that will allow you to play, especially if we need you to get an even number. I'm flexible.
Matthew Gountis
PA/NJ Area
Team Phoenix
HEY, CHECK ME OUT ON EBAY, I HAVE ALL SORTS OF SINGLES FOR SALE:
http://www.ebay.com/sch/cardlicker/m.ht ... 4340.l2562

The Franchise
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold
Posts: 12676
Joined: January 26th, 2005, 9:20 pm
Location: Akron

Re: Magic Cube

Post by The Franchise »

yeah if we wanna just cube for fun then im down

Steviegets112
Booster Box
Booster Box
Posts: 1290
Joined: April 22nd, 2007, 10:13 pm

Re: Magic Cube

Post by Steviegets112 »

we can just cube for fun. Mine is fully powered and rather big, 580 cards. IF anything goes missing I will hunt you down though

gogolen
LS Region: Coruscant
LS Region: Coruscant
Posts: 11425
Joined: May 2nd, 2005, 3:52 pm
Location: Somerdale, nj
Holotable username: gogolen
GEMP Username: gogolen

Re: Magic Cube

Post by gogolen »

Steviegets112 wrote:we can just cube for fun. Mine is fully powered and rather big, 580 cards. IF anything goes missing I will hunt you down though

Yeah, it sucks when you let people use your cards and they don't give them back...
Image

PC Store Manager
Kevbozzz wrote:I agree 100% with Gogolen's responses.
Now streaming games on Youtube & Twitch- please subscribe to my channels- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjqwgj ... Xu5T9vp4AQ
Twitch- https://www.twitch.tv/gogolen

NEW & RETURNING PLAYER ARTICLES- https://forum.starwarsccg.org/viewt ... 32&t=50486

User avatar
BrenDerlin
Member
Posts: 3572
Joined: November 3rd, 2002, 12:34 pm
Location: Los Angeles

Re: Magic Cube

Post by BrenDerlin »

I just drafted 3 Innistrad on saturday with some friends.

It's a hella fun set.
WUBBA LUBBA DUB DUB!
Brad Eier wrote:i have no idea who matt thorton is, possibly the son of billy bob?

The Franchise
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold
Posts: 12676
Joined: January 26th, 2005, 9:20 pm
Location: Akron

Re: Magic Cube

Post by The Franchise »

can we play with brian fred cube rules?

basically fred (actually chris thompson i guess) had a house rule that if you have 1 land in your opening hand, you can mulligan for 7 cards, and you can do this as many times as you want if you keep only getting 1 land.

so, freds cube contains channel, fireball, and a proxy for black lotus. basically, what can happen if you draw all of them is this: play a land that makes red, like a mountain. play black lotus. sacrifice black lotus to add 3 green mana. use 2 of that to play channel, which allows you to spend life points to add mana. so now, you have left a red and a green mana, and 20 life that can be used as mana (well 19 of it to go to 1 so you dont die).

so, you play fireball (it costs a red mana and X mana, and deals X damage to any player). so, you spend the red, then X=20 (19 life and 1 green left from the lotus).

so, you can kill someone on the first turn.

so, with the house rule, you just get those 3 cards and make a deck with 1 land, and then you mulligan till you draw all the combo, and you kill paul brothers turn 1 every game.

Mr. G
Sealed Deck
Sealed Deck
Posts: 286
Joined: January 30th, 2010, 2:15 pm

Re: Magic Cube

Post by Mr. G »

Brad Eier wrote:can we play with brian fred cube rules?

basically fred (actually chris thompson i guess) had a house rule that if you have 1 land in your opening hand, you can mulligan for 7 cards, and you can do this as many times as you want if you keep only getting 1 land.

so, freds cube contains channel, fireball, and a proxy for black lotus. basically, what can happen if you draw all of them is this: play a land that makes red, like a mountain. play black lotus. sacrifice black lotus to add 3 green mana. use 2 of that to play channel, which allows you to spend life points to add mana. so now, you have left a red and a green mana, and 20 life that can be used as mana (well 19 of it to go to 1 so you dont die).

so, you play fireball (it costs a red mana and X mana, and deals X damage to any player). so, you spend the red, then X=20 (19 life and 1 green left from the lotus).

so, you can kill someone on the first turn.

so, with the house rule, you just get those 3 cards and make a deck with 1 land, and then you mulligan till you draw all the combo, and you kill paul brothers turn 1 every game.
NPE
So this sounds like something that could be run (the cube that it) , so my only question is what is the general consensus, to have a fully powered cube or not. I have only one planeswalker per color, and even then they are always a maybe because they totally dominate the games, and there are other things that can be changed to try and just play with good cards, or you can try to get some themes going, and to keep it more balanced, to keep the presence of bombs as bombs.

What are people more likely to play, as I have played both and they have different feels, but people like my buddy Justin, who is an old school magic player, prefers to keep the power level down to keep the limited feel of the game, rather than drafting a 40 card constructed deck.
Matthew Gountis
PA/NJ Area
Team Phoenix
HEY, CHECK ME OUT ON EBAY, I HAVE ALL SORTS OF SINGLES FOR SALE:
http://www.ebay.com/sch/cardlicker/m.ht ... 4340.l2562

Hari Seldon
Booster Box
Booster Box
Posts: 1289
Joined: May 9th, 2010, 6:46 pm

Re: Magic Cube

Post by Hari Seldon »

Brad Eier wrote:can we play with brian fred cube rules?

basically fred (actually chris thompson i guess) had a house rule that if you have 1 land in your opening hand, you can mulligan for 7 cards, and you can do this as many times as you want if you keep only getting 1 land.

so, freds cube contains channel, fireball, and a proxy for black lotus. basically, what can happen if you draw all of them is this: play a land that makes red, like a mountain. play black lotus. sacrifice black lotus to add 3 green mana. use 2 of that to play channel, which allows you to spend life points to add mana. so now, you have left a red and a green mana, and 20 life that can be used as mana (well 19 of it to go to 1 so you dont die).

so, you play fireball (it costs a red mana and X mana, and deals X damage to any player). so, you spend the red, then X=20 (19 life and 1 green left from the lotus).

so, you can kill someone on the first turn.

so, with the house rule, you just get those 3 cards and make a deck with 1 land, and then you mulligan till you draw all the combo, and you kill paul brothers turn 1 every game.
Wow, that was my deck back in the day. Black Lotus and Channel were both restricted (one per deck) but you'd be surprised how often I got both in my first hand. I also ran 3 fireballs and 3 disintegrates (same basic concept as fireball).
allstarz97 wrote:...and thematically, as everyone is referencing on this thread, why are people not mentioning the part where mace windu is crying like a little *, gets his hand cut off and then gets thrown out a window?

User avatar
mr007agent
Member
Posts: 6877
Joined: October 30th, 2002, 1:43 pm
Location: South Houston, TX
Contact:

Re: Magic Cube

Post by mr007agent »

Hari Seldon wrote:I also ran 3 fireballs and 3 disintegrates (same basic concept as fireball).
I thought a disintegrate is the one where it costs 1 colorless and 1 red to deal 3 damage to any player or creature? Maybe you are thinking of hurricane or something?
Michael Richards
Rogue 84
PC Volunteer
Shadow 43 - Dantooine Flight Leader
http://omega.uta.edu/~mhr7680/dantooineswccg.html
-007-
ImageImage

DVD ROTS
LS Region: Coruscant
LS Region: Coruscant
Posts: 1458
Joined: December 30th, 2004, 4:14 pm
Location: Stanford, CA/Northern NJ
Contact:

Re: Magic Cube

Post by DVD ROTS »

mr007agent wrote:
Hari Seldon wrote:I also ran 3 fireballs and 3 disintegrates (same basic concept as fireball).
I thought a disintegrate is the one where it costs 1 colorless and 1 red to deal 3 damage to any player or creature? Maybe you are thinking of hurricane or something?
No, you're thinking of Incinerate. Disintegrate was Fireball without being able to divide the damage among targets.
Kevbozzz wrote:When you're crushing Hyperdrive with BHBM, Booker doesn't come rappelling through your kitchen window demanding that you play real decks.

Mr. G
Sealed Deck
Sealed Deck
Posts: 286
Joined: January 30th, 2010, 2:15 pm

Re: Magic Cube

Post by Mr. G »

DVD ROTS wrote:
mr007agent wrote:
Hari Seldon wrote:I also ran 3 fireballs and 3 disintegrates (same basic concept as fireball).
I thought a disintegrate is the one where it costs 1 colorless and 1 red to deal 3 damage to any player or creature? Maybe you are thinking of hurricane or something?
No, you're thinking of Incinerate. Disintegrate was Fireball without being able to divide the damage among targets.
Yeah, Disintegrate was almost a cross between the two, as it was a Red X card, but it did not allow the creature to be regenerated, just like incinerate. Alright, I'm sucking you two in, because you posted in this thread. Would you guys be in if we had a cube draft for fun.
Matthew Gountis
PA/NJ Area
Team Phoenix
HEY, CHECK ME OUT ON EBAY, I HAVE ALL SORTS OF SINGLES FOR SALE:
http://www.ebay.com/sch/cardlicker/m.ht ... 4340.l2562

Post Reply

Return to “2012 Match Play Championship - February 10-12”